/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Luther on Islam

glo
07-10-2009, 02:47 PM
I came across this interesting article today and thought I might share it here:

Martin Luther, the 16th century Protestant Reformer, can help Christians today to accommodate Islam in western societies, a German constitutional expert told a Lutheran World Federation (LWF) consultation in Budapest recently.

Dr Gerhard Robbers, professor of public and constitutional law at the University of Trier, recalled how Luther, introducing a German translation of the Qur’an, said, “Read the Qur’an to understand Islam better, to understand Muslims better, and in the end, read the Qur’an to understand yourself better.”

For Robbers, this statement was a true, and early, “act of enlightenment” and a good example of trying “to understand the other,” something much needed in today’s Europe marked by increasing religious pluralism.

Twenty years after the fall of communism, the Budapest consultation gathered representatives of Lutheran churches in Europe and beyond on 26-29 June to discuss “Church and State in Societies in Transformation.”

Robbers said a major challenge in the transition in which Europe now finds itself is “attributing an adequate legal status to Islam and Muslims.” In his paper 'New forms of pluralism as challenging and transformative factors' he emphasised that Europeans need to remember how much Islam and Christendom have in common.

“Many in Europe have forgotten what their culture owes to Muslim thought,” he observed, pointing to the influence on medieval Europe of Islamic ideas in philosophy, medicine, mathematics, economics and diplomacy.

“Many key features of the laws of international diplomacy have origins [in] Muslim legal culture,” said Robbers. “And certainly religious tolerance, at least the tolerance for those religions which have the Book in common, comes from Muslim thinking.”

He suggested seeking parallels between Lutheran and Islamic thought in areas such as the role of Scripture - Luther’s concept of sola scriptura -, the place given to the realm of God and the understanding that clergy are not required as mediators between believers and God.

“In Lutheranism, there is no necessity to have clerics, no necessity to have hierarchical clergy,” noted Robbers. “It is very similar in Islam.”
http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/9848

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Wow thats really interestng. Nice find Glo.

Jenny
07-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Well,I`m Lutheran myself.I agree,that Lutheran Church is more similar to Islam than Catholic.But it`s still Christian church.Martin Luther simply cleared out from Christian church everything,what was added to Christian religion by clergy-he has done a lot of good work,in my opinion.

glo
07-10-2009, 06:21 PM
That's interesting, Jenny. I must try and learn more about the Lutheran traditions. :)
Where are you from?

I agree that Protestantism is closer to Islam in the sense that Luther removed the idea of the Pope and clergy as 'the middle men'.

However, in other ways I find the Catholic Church closer to Islam - perhaps in the sense of adherence to laws and rules and rituals.

That's only my personal view. I'm sure many will disagree with me there. :)

God bless.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jenny
07-10-2009, 06:30 PM
I agree with you.As to where I`m from,I`m Polish Lutheran.I converted a short time ago from Catholicism.

Al-Zaara
07-10-2009, 06:34 PM
I sent that to one of my best friends, she belongs to the Evangelic Lutheran Church. Thank you for the article. :thumbs_up

glo
07-10-2009, 06:34 PM
I was raised as a Roman Catholic too, Jenny.
I returned to the Christian faith 6 years ago, after many years of wandering. I would describe myself as a Protestant now.

How many Lutherans are there in Poland? I expect that it is predominantly Catholic.

Jenny
07-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Hm,I`m really not sure.Around 400 000,I suppose.In our parish a few persons a year convert into Protestantism.

UmmSqueakster
07-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Luther also had quite a few harsh words for islam.

http://www.lutheransonline.com/servl...06780322797517

Of course, if one actually reads through Luther's writings, they'd find he's harsh on a lot of things :X They don't teach that in ELCA sunday school, ha.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.