/* */

PDA

View Full Version : when making dua?

Ummu Sufyaan
07-12-2009, 10:14 AM
:sl:
should one ask for whatever they want and need without taking into consideration what the thing they are asking for really entials?
what im trying to get at is that sometimes i maybe hesitant in asking Allah certain things because although i may greatly want that thing/s i dont really know what it may fully entail, so therefore i may be asking for something harmful without me realizing. or do i just ask no matter if that thing is harmful to me or not, since allah wont give me something that would harm me? right?

i hope that makes sense...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali_008
07-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Ask Allah to always guide you to the "better" alternative.
Most of us make dua for Allah for our best and Allah knows whats best for us. So even if you ask for something which could be (or you think is) bad for you then don't worry because ultimately the provision lies with Allah and he won't give you something which is bad for you. According to a hadeeth "A believer who makes Dua receives one of three things:

1.Either he will quickly have his Dua answered,
2.or he will get its due in the Hereafter,
3.or something bad will be prevented from him equal to the value of his Dua."

So you see when you make Dua, there's no way you can lose because all three possibilities come in your favour.
:w:

glo
07-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I suppose there is an element of 'being careful what you ask for ... because you might get it!'

I think sometimes God grants us what we wish for to test us or to 'teach us a lesson', rather than because it is beneficial to us.

Perhaps the secret is to learn to pray according to the will of God - to put aside our own wishes and desires and to learn to pray "Your will be done, not mine."
(It's easy to say those words, but it is not so easy to really mean them! It takes practice to submit to the will of God ...
We are all on a journey with God. None of us are perfect, and we are all still learning ... so you are in good company, sis :))

AabiruSabeel
07-12-2009, 11:47 AM

Some people say we should not give our opinion and advice to Allah. We should just place our problem in front of Him, and let Him decide what is best for you.

For eg, we should not say O Allah! I am in need of a bike, please provide a bike to me. Instead say O Allah! I am unable to travel to my college (example) easily, please help me. Or Using the bus/public transport is irritating for me, please help me. And now let Allah decide what He should provide for you.
If you ask for a particular thing, it might be harmful for you, you might have an accident with your bike. Or Allah SubHanahu waTa'ala would like to give you a car or a better alternative, but since you were insisting so much on having a bike, he gives you a bike.

Hope that made sense. Couldn't find a better example.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
07-12-2009, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel

Some people say we should not give our opinion and advice to Allah. We should just place our problem in front of Him, and let Him decide what is best for you.
who do you mean by "some" ? could u expand on that?

AabiruSabeel
07-12-2009, 12:10 PM
I haven't heard any 'Alim say that. Just heard it from some elders. I don't think it's not allowed, but not desirable that we should give a certain opinion/suggestion to Allah. He does not require our suggestion to do anything.

Edit: I was trying to think of any example from Prophets or Sahaba's lives and I think Prophet Ayyub's ('Alaihis Salam) example fits here. When he was afflicted, he just said "Truly distress has seized me, but Thou art the Most Merciful of those that are merciful." [21:83]

But there are also examples of asking for something specific, like Zakariyya 'Alaihis Salam asking for a son.
Praying: "O my Lord! infirm indeed are my bones, and the hair of my head doth glisten with grey: but never am I unblest, O my Lord, in my prayer to Thee! [19:4]
"Now I fear (what) my relatives (and colleagues) (will do) after me: but my wife is barren: so give me an heir as from Thyself,- [19:5]

- IqRa -
07-13-2009, 08:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Wa alaykum salam,

If it's so much of a concern, just qualify what you ask for by adding "if it's beneficial for me".
Indeed

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.