/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prayed salah but forgot wudhu

aadil77
07-13-2009, 09:40 AM
:sl:

Yesterday I prayed esha salah then realised I didn't have wudhu and I knew something was wrong, I prayed the whole salah and in jamat without wudhu. So now I'm feelin guilty now for not redoing it at the time,

so what do you have to do if you realise you don't have wudhu during or after salah and is it any different if you're praying in jamat?

JazakhAllah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
07-13-2009, 10:16 AM
:salamext:

If you realise during the prayer that you don't have wudu then you must stop your prayer immediately and perform wudu and start your prayer again. This is the same if you are praying in congregation or on your own. The precondition for prayer is to be in a state of wudu, so if you have not purified yourself for prayer how can you pray?

If you realised after the prayer that you didn't have wudu then as soon as you came to realise this you must perform wudu and repeat that prayer once again.

This is based on many authentic ahadeeth of the Prophet (saaws) as well as the narrations of the Sahaba.

'Abd-al Latif
07-13-2009, 10:22 AM
:salamext:

From Islam-qa:

He forgot that he did not have wudoo’ and he prayed

Q.I forgot that I did not have wudoo’ and I prayed. After I finished my prayer, I remembered that. Do I have to repeat my prayer?

A.Praise be to Allaah.

Yes, whoever prays forgetting that he does not have wudoo’ has to repeat the prayer, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah does not accept any prayer if a person breaks his wudoo’, until he does wudoo’.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) in Kitaab al-Wudoo’. This is in contrast to the person who has some impurity (najaasah) on his clothes and he forgets it. He does not have to repeat his prayer because Jibreel came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whilst he was praying, and told him that there was something dirty on his shoes. He took them off and continued praying. This was narrated by Ahmad from the hadeeth of Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) in his Musnad. This hadeeth proves that the one who is unaware of the najaasah does not have to repeat his prayer, and this applies also to the one who forgets that there is some najaasah present.

I’laam al-Musaafireen bi Ba’d Aadaab wa Ahkaam al-Safar wa ma yakhuss al-Mallaaheen al-Jawwiyyeen by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, p. 12I forgot that I did not have wudoo’ and I prayed. After I finished my prayer, I remembered that. Do I have to repeat my prayer?

Praise be to Allaah.

Yes, whoever prays forgetting that he does not have wudoo’ has to repeat the prayer, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah does not accept any prayer if a person breaks his wudoo’, until he does wudoo’.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) in Kitaab al-Wudoo’. This is in contrast to the person who has some impurity (najaasah) on his clothes and he forgets it. He does not have to repeat his prayer because Jibreel came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whilst he was praying, and told him that there was something dirty on his shoes. He took them off and continued praying. This was narrated by Ahmad from the hadeeth of Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) in his Musnad. This hadeeth proves that the one who is unaware of the najaasah does not have to repeat his prayer, and this applies also to the one who forgets that there is some najaasah present.

I’laam al-Musaafireen bi Ba’d Aadaab wa Ahkaam al-Safar wa ma yakhuss al-Mallaaheen al-Jawwiyyeen by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, p. 12

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/10780
And also:

If he prays without wudoo’ by mistake, he has to repeat his prayer

Q.Sometimes after prayers I remember that I had not gone through 'woudou'. Again, should I do my woudou and pray again?.

A.Praise be to Allaah.

Yes, you have to do wudoo’ and repeat your prayer. The scholars are unanimously agreed on that, because purity (tahaarah) is one of the conditions of prayer being valid. The evidence for that is the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Allaah does not accept the prayer of any of you if he breaks his wudoo’, unless he does wudoo’ again.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6954; Muslim, 225.

Muslim (224) narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “No prayer is accepted without purification.”

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Majmoo’, 2/79:

The Muslims are unanimously agreed that it is haraam for a person who has broken his wudoo’ to pray, and they are unanimously agreed that his prayer is not valid, whether he is aware that he broke his wudoo’ or is unaware of that or forgot. But if he prayed because he was unaware of it or forgot, then there is no sin on him, but if he was aware that he had broken his wudoo’ and that it was haraam for him to pray in this situation, then he has committed a grave sin.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/9023

Ummu Sufyaan
07-13-2009, 10:47 AM
If you realised after the prayer that you didn't have wudu then as soon as you came to realise this you must perform wudu and repeat that prayer once again.
what if the time for that prayer has passed, do you still need to repeat the prayer? i mean even if you remember like a week later or something?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
07-13-2009, 11:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed

what if the time for that prayer has passed, do you still need to repeat the prayer? i mean even if you remember like a week later or something?
Who's going to remember a week later.....7 multiplied by 5 equals 35 plus 20 sunnah salawat in that week so after a week a person will pray about 55 prayers....last weeks wuduless isha for example was a salat i prayed which was among the 55 salawat i cant remember that

unless your diet consists of just almonds

Ummu Sufyaan
07-13-2009, 11:18 AM
^ i dont literally mean a week later. it was just an example to illustrate if one has to repeat their prayer after the time has passed.

- IqRa -
07-13-2009, 11:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed

Obviously Allah put it into your head for a reason, if you remember a week later, that He wants you to re-pray it.

Ummu Sufyaan
07-13-2009, 11:43 AM
I need a source...:)

- IqRa -
07-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Source for what?! If you haven't done your prayer properly and you remember, you can't just leave it. Please, use some common sense.

Ummu Sufyaan
07-13-2009, 12:04 PM
^source for handing out a fatwa. i've never known common sense to proceed the quran/sunnah when it comes to deeni matters, that wouldn't be using your common sense would it?

- IqRa -
07-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Allahu Aalim sister, may Allah guide us all.

ardianto
07-13-2009, 03:40 PM
You are not alone, brother aadil77.
Few months ago after Shaalath Jum'ah (friday prayer) I felt I forgot something but I didn't knew what was that.
And after Shaalath Maghrib, I remember, I forgot Wudhu before Shaalath Jum'ah.
But I don't know what must I do.

aadil77
07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
yes its a wounder bro, I specially lead my own jamat for extra deeds then bloody realised I didn't have wudhu, probably punishment for something.

I think you might just have to pray zohr salah then ?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-13-2009, 04:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
Source for what?! If you haven't done your prayer properly and you remember, you can't just leave it. Please, use some common sense.
There's nothing wrong with asking. It would only relieve her of her doubts if any. Better not to be left in any sort of ignorance or anything, if so.

ardianto
07-13-2009, 04:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
yes its a wounder bro, I specially lead my own jamat for extra deeds then bloody realised I didn't have wudhu, probably punishment for something.

I think you might just have to pray zohr salah then ?
If I realized I didn't have wudhu after I finished my salah jum'ah, I must be took wudhu and salah zuhur. But I realized it after salah maghrib.

AabiruSabeel
07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
There is no harm in re-making wudhu for each Salah. You won't have doubt then.

'Abd-al Latif
07-13-2009, 10:16 PM
^

If you are certain that you made wudu but before prayer you begin to feel uncertain whether you broke wudu or not then you should assume as though you are still in the state of wudu. Firstly because this a hadeeth of the Prophet (saaws) and secondly because certainity cannot be removed by doubt. So if you are certain that you have performed wudu but uncertain if you broke it, then you should ignore the wispers of satan and give preference to certainity and assume that you are in wudu.

Umm ul-Shaheed, I will confirm my knowledge before I say anything though I do have the answer.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.