/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Moon Sighting Debate

paradise88
07-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Salaam

I would like to know about the whole thing to do with moon sighting for Eid etc.. Do we follow Saudi or the country were in or nearest muslim country. I've heard various explanations and whats in the Quran but never really got to the answer. What country do we go by?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
07-14-2009, 05:13 AM
If you want to follow Saudi, you can follow Saudi. If you want to follow another country or even if you want to follow a Muslim organization, you can follow them.

In Indonesia, almost every year, some Muslim frequently start fasting in different day and also pray Eid in different day. Usually Indonesian Muslim from Muhamadiyah organization.
There's no problem with these different days. In Islam, difference is a 'Rahmat'.

Ummu Sufyaan
07-14-2009, 05:21 AM
:sl:
pls oh pls whatever you do don't make a mountain outta molehill with the whole little "ramadan dramas" we Muslims seem to go through every year...:)

buuuut here's a fatwa :D
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/106487/moon%20sighting

ardianto
07-14-2009, 05:31 AM
Difference is a 'Rahmat'.
But, if sister Paradise786 is not living in a Muslim country, I suggest her to follow Muslim community in her place.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- IqRa -
07-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Just follow your local Imam.

I.K
07-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong...but I've heard that according to the Shafi'ee Madhab they cannot accept the sighting other than within the border of their country. This is where the problem arises...

BlackMamba
07-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Where did the whole "I'ma follow Saudi" thing come from. Do what is in your locality. how you define local in this context, I'm not sure. But I do know that folks living in the west are not close to Saudi, we should follow our country and whether the moon was sighted there. And why are organizations like ISNA switching to the calculations for Ramadan, the hadith clearly says the witnesses gotta see the moon with their own eyes. If we just followed that then no confusion.

- IqRa -
07-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Even Saudi Arabia Imams said last year not to follow them. It's stupid. The Muslims go through this rubbishy argument every year. Grow up already.

Rabi'ya
07-14-2009, 09:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by I.K
Please correct me if I am wrong...but I've heard that according to the Shafi'ee Madhab they cannot accept the sighting other than within the border of their country. This is where the problem arises...
Perhaps we could say that who created the countires...

Here, we follow Saudi, not personal choice as I was told that its necessary to sight the moon in your locality. Having said that it is usually cloudy here and as a result we were then told to allow a day in case of mistakes. Anyway, unity is sometimes better as we don't wana be praying Eid on different days.

Theres a lot of confusion surrounding this topic. InshAllah your decision will be a good one....

'Abd-al Latif
07-14-2009, 09:27 AM
There is already a thread regarding this here: http://www.islamicboard.com/fasting-...ification.html

I will be closing this thread because I would like people to discuss this issues with their evidences which I don't believe the majorty will do. You may contribute on the other thread.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.