/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why I wear the veil

'Abd al-Baari
07-14-2009, 12:51 PM
:sl:

This was in the Local Paper yesterday;

“Wearing a veil is how I am happiest,” says 40-year-old Khadija Valimulla, of Queens Road, Blackburn.

The mother of three has worn the burka – Islamic clothing which covers a woman from head to toe and only leaves the eyes visible – for the last 10 years. The same can be said for her mother, two of her four sisters and her 19-year-old daughter.

Why? Because it is an important part of their religion.

But the religious practice has been criticised recently and women who wear veils in Lancashire have been asked to remove them.

Khadija told me: “Veiled woman are normal women like any others in society, we don’t dress this way to offend anyone, but for our self-respect and protection.”

The former Our Lady and St John’s pupil, is one of nine children and the oldest daughter of Indian parents who moved to Blackburn in 1964.

Along with her siblings she attended multi-faith schools and social clubs, because her parents believed it to be important to integrate into the community.

“I have Christian friends, Muslim friends, ones who wear the veil and ones who don’t. I am friends with all different types of people and always have been. For many years we have all lived side by side without a problem. Wearing the niqab or burka doesn’t change any of that for us. It is simply a way of life,” she said.

“Ladies who wear the veil are not trying to hide from the world, that is a misconception, and we are not forced to wear them. I am non-judgmental so why should others judge me.”

The issue was first pushed to the forefront in 2006 when Blackburn MP Jack Straw said Muslim women should not wear veils to cover their faces and asked ladies who attended his Blackburn surgery to remove them.

Khadija joined the debate after North West Euro MP Chris Davies reignited the controversy saying that the burka ‘does not belong in 21st century Britain.’ He called on Muslim women in Lancashire to take them off – a statement slammed by the Lancashire Council Of Mosques which believes more education is needed to help non-Muslims understand the reasons.

Khadija explains that covering up is not dictated by culture, men, or society, but is stated in the Qur’an.

She believes it is a direct wish of her god, and says it is varying levels of religious practice that dictate whether or not a woman opts to wear the veil.

She quotes: ‘And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments..... they should draw their veils…’ (Qur’an - Surah An Nur 24: 30-31).

Khadija believes dressing modestly enables a woman to conceal her outer beauty, thus focusing on improving her inner spiritual beauty.

She said: “If we look at creation, the Almighty has covered every soft and delicate object of nature with a veil, like the soft fruits wrapped in skin. Similarly the veil has been commanded to protect the modesty of women.”

The way she dresses is also how she makes a living. For Khadija, who speaks five languages, runs her own clothing business – Al-Muzzammil – selling bespoke Islamic wear for ladies.

She studied fashion at St Mary’s College and has always sewn for the family, so using these skills she set up her business five years ago, with the Muslim women of East Lancashire as her customers.

In the ‘modesty’ collection there is a wide selection of burkas and hijabs (head scarves), all with varying embroidery and beading.

They are designed by Khadija, made in Dubai and sold from her front room.

And contrary to some opinions Khadija said wearing the veil actually benefits her in business.

“I feel I get more respect wearing the veil. I deal with Muslim and non Muslim men with my job frequently. I do better in business with my veil I am sure, it is about respect. I still have a laugh and I am a jolly person, nothing about my personality has changed. In all these years we have worked together they have never seen my face but we have a brilliant rapport.”

Khadija explains she does not wear the veil at home or in front of her family or when she attends her female-only gym, and has a wardrobe of Asian wear as well as jeans and T-shirts for around the house.

But at any other time the burka it is a compulsory part of her life.

“I didn’t used to wear the veil years ago, I think because I went to mixed schools it was how it happened that way. But then as I got older I realised it was something I wanted to do to make sure my boundaries were not crossed. I have always been religious but I wanted the extra protection from the niqab and started wearing it.”

Kadija said there can be times where she is made to feel uncomfortable.

“People in town have said to me before ‘hey ninja’ and you just ignore them. One time someone put their arms up in a ninja style but they got a shock when I did it back. I also get cold stares sometimes but I know it’s just lack of understanding.”

Despite this Khadija says she would never consider removing her veil and asks others to become more informed on the reasons behind her decision — something she hopes to achieve by speaking to the Lancashire Telegraph.

She said: “The hijab is a way of life, not a way of ending our freedom. Like the saying ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’, don’t judge a veiled woman by face value. We should look beyond the veil and try to understand she is like any other woman. It is time to educate society and I hope by speaking out I can resolve the issue once and for all.”

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk..._woman/?ref=mr

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
07-14-2009, 01:03 PM
JazakAllah Khayr for sharing. She sure doesn't sound oppressed to me!

MinAhlilHadeeth
07-14-2009, 01:46 PM
:salamext:

JazaakAllaah khayr for the interesting read.

Khadija joined the debate after North West Euro MP Chris Davies reignited the controversy saying that the burka ‘does not belong in 21st century Britain.’ He called on Muslim women in Lancashire to take them off
Is that a request or an order?

Foxhole
07-14-2009, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd al-Baari
:sl:

This was in the Local Paper yesterday;

“Wearing a veil is how I am happiest,” says 40-year-old Khadija Valimulla, of Queens Road, Blackburn.

It is Khadija's rightful freedom to choose that gives spiritual meaning to her wearing of the veil. As long as she agrees that the veil should always be a legal choice and never be enforced on anyone by the state, then nobody should have any problem.

It is those who argue that they have a fundamental right to wear a veil, but not a fundamental right to not wear one, with whom I disagree.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.