/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hot Cheetos?

Beardo
07-15-2009, 02:09 AM
I haven't eaten them in a while but I saw it in the vending machine today and such a craving. It's a temptation. Does anybody know if its Halaal in the US?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
07-15-2009, 02:12 AM
they have porcine enzymes.. call lays and they will send you a list of their halal and haram stuff with a few coupons...

:w:

Beardo
07-15-2009, 02:15 AM
I just checked. I think it's Halaal actually. Someone confirm the list:

http://fritolay.com/your-health/for-...ary-needs.html

Yanal
07-15-2009, 02:16 AM
:sl:
A link that will be beneficial,insha'Allah: http://eathalalfood.blogspot.com/200...s-are-not.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
07-15-2009, 02:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
A link that will be beneficial,insha'Allah: http://eathalalfood.blogspot.com/200...s-are-not.html

That was last year. Last year my neighbor's house was blue. This year it's green.

Check the link I provided. It gives a list that do NOT contain porcine enzymes! :D

Yanal
07-15-2009, 02:20 AM

You never know brother. Either it was green or blue it was still the same house,right?

Beardo
07-15-2009, 02:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal

You never know brother. Either it was green or blue it was still the same house,right?

Halaal or Haraam, it was still Hot Cheetos, right? :rollseyes

Apparnetly the Chile Lime is halaal. It's on that list I put on that link.

Muezzin
07-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Contacting the manufacturer would be the best bet.

As a general rule in the UK, if it says 'Suitable for Vegetarians' on the packet, it's good to go. If not, it's a no.

I don't know if such labelling is common in the US.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-23-2009, 02:25 PM
^^ I haven't come across a labeling like that..or maybe I haven't looked hard enough :skeleton:

Muezzin
07-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Also, beware of certian E numbers. Particularly E471, which is an emulsifier that in some cases derives from (haram) animal fat.

The 'Suitable for Vegetarian' thing doesn't mean you shouldn't use common sense - for instance, certain boxes of chocolates might be suitable for vegetarians because there are no animal extracts, but they might contain alcohol, which will be mentioned in the ingredients.

This is why I hate doing the shopping.

Beardo
07-23-2009, 02:28 PM
They don't have that label unfortunately. UK has much Muslim concentration, so people put those down. In the US, may Allah cure us, our Muslim siblings pick up what they want. It becomes Halaal when they say Bismillah before eating it. :X

I say this in disgust, because we had a Halaal official KFC near my house. Later they changed it back to non-Halaal. :( It's not worth it, apparently.

Muezzin
07-23-2009, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by eHafiz
They don't have that label unfortunately. UK has much Muslim concentration, so people put those down.
Well, it's more for the benefit of vegetarians. For Muslims, it's a matter of knowing which ingredients to avoid. Generally, if something is suitable for vegetarians, Muslims can eat it too (unless it contains alcohol for instance).

In the US, may Allah cure us, our Muslim siblings pick up what they want. It becomes Halaal when they say Bismillah before eating it. :X
They say Bismillah and eat, say, a ham sandwich?

The people I know only 'do a Bismillah' when they accidentally drop some food on the floor.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Not a ham sandwich, just if its meat/beef usually that isn't halal. Because they want to eat it, they'll say Bismillah..

UmmSqueakster
07-23-2009, 03:36 PM

A thought - just because it doesn't have porcine enzymes doesn't mean to doesn't have enzymes from other animals that were not slaughtered islamically. I'd note that cheetos aren't listed as kosher, so my suspicion is that there are other meat derived products hidden somewhere amist the chemically sounding names/enzymes.

I do a lot of my shopping at coops and natural food stores - lots more vegetarian options, less additives that may be alcohol derivatives, etc.

rk9414
07-23-2009, 03:50 PM
An interesting article concerning porcine enzymes and cheese in general by Yasir Qadhi http://muslimmatters.org/2007/07/09/...cheese-factor/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.