PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarianism in Islam



VegetarianSoul
07-15-2009, 07:56 AM
What is the concept of soul in Islam. If you can be a good muslim as well BEING A VEGETARIAN, why not make a compassionate choice?
Look at the video below and tell me where can we find love and compasion and a humane behaviour?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjanhKqVC4
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- IqRa -
07-15-2009, 08:14 AM
http://www.islamicboard.com/miscella...must-read.html
Reply

VegetarianSoul
07-15-2009, 09:40 AM
It is interesting to note that we ALL have duty to show compassion towards animals. If you can be a better muslim by following a vegetarian diet which improves your health and does a lot good for our environment where we live, then why not follow the greener path?

I would like to know if there are any muslims ,who also are Vegans or Vegetarians?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2I0oKB80w
Reply

VegetarianSoul
07-15-2009, 09:48 AM
What about the concept of soul in living creature. If you can be a good muslim as well BEING A VEGETARIAN, why not make a compassionate choice?
Look at the video below and tell me is this a humane behaviour?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjanhKqVC4
Animals are so brutally slaughtered in the name of food.

I would appreciate if you kindly let me know how many of you here are trying to become or are already vegetarians or vegans
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
GuestFellow
07-15-2009, 09:52 AM
I don't even eat meat that much...in fact I prefer vegs.
Reply

Banu_Hashim
07-15-2009, 09:54 AM
I couldn't imagine a diet without some sort of meat. It's not very healthy though is it, to have a diet completely void of meat. Maybe our doctor members can clarify.
Reply

- IqRa -
07-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Why make something forbidden for yourself which your Lord has allowed for you?
Reply

GuestFellow
07-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Our teeth are designed to consume meat too.
Reply

VegetarianSoul
07-15-2009, 10:23 AM
If you say you are designed to eat meat, would you be able to kill for your own food? Just because you dont SEE how the animals are slaughtered for what you get on your plate, doesnt mean that you can support the brutal slaughter in the name of religion because consuming it contributed same as killing it.

And human teeth are NOT that of carnivores.
My curiousity was about Islam, where there is talk on peace and compassion, what about concept of soul in animals. How can anyone justify the cold blooded murder in name of food?

I found on some interesting posts where it was mentioned that you can be a very good muslim by being VEGETARIAN, in fact, a better one. Then why people dont consider this greener path, which is better for environment as well as for all of us in general?

By following a compassionate diet regime, would that not lead you closer to God?
Reply

VegetarianSoul
07-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Our teeth are designed to consume meat too.
Yeah right. Sigh. Your teeth can consume flesh of your own brother as well.Would you do it?
Reply

- IqRa -
07-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Oh please. :-\ When Allah has ALLOWED something for you, why would you go about trying to stop it?!

This is a stupid discussion. It's like saying, "I'll drink wine because I want to, even though Allah has forbidden it, but I won't eat meat, even though Allah has allowed it."

How silly.
Reply

Ali_008
07-15-2009, 10:42 AM
:sl:
I've seen these vegetarians (mostly from sects called brahamans and maarwadis) debating Islam's approval of meat a million times.

Firstly, I'd like to give you an example by which non-vegetarianism will just get encouraged (which I had heard in a talk once). You see, animals multiply more rapidly than humans. We keep seeing or hearing news about some unknown animal becoming endangered or having become completely extinct but that news doesn't even come close to animals that are eaten like Hens, Goats, Camels, Ducks and Turkeys. Allah has given us permission to eat meat with his own wisdom. Just imagine, at the rate that these animals multiply, and everybody in the world was a vegetarian then it'd be a world of those animals and not humans. In fact, if it was that way, at this moment some species of those animals would have been discussing whether to eat humans or not. :D

Its Allah (Subhaanahu Wa Taala)'s limitless mercy that he gave us such source of nutrition and keeps them in equilibrium. To keep the human-animal balance in nature, they have to be consumed or else you know it what could have happened.

I have another point to put forward, which I'll do through a video, Inshallah. Wait for my next post :)
Reply

VegetarianSoul
07-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Ali_008
:sl:
I've seen these vegetarians (mostly from sects called brahamans and maarwadis) debating Islam's approval of meat a million times.

Firstly, I'd like to give you an example by which non-vegetarianism will just get encouraged (which I had heard in a talk once). You see, animals multiply more rapidly than humans. We keep seeing or hearing news about some unknown animal becoming endangered or having become completely extinct but that news doesn't even come close to animals that are eaten like Hens, Goats, Camels, Ducks and Turkeys. Allah has given us permission to eat meat with his own wisdom. Just imagine, at the rate that these animals multiply, and everybody in the world was a vegetarian then it'd be a world of those animals and not humans. In fact, if it was that way, at this moment some species of those animals would have been discussing whether to eat humans or not. :D

Its Allah (Subhaanahu Wa Taala)'s limitless mercy that he gave us such source of nutrition and keeps them in equilibrium. To keep the human-animal balance in nature, they have to be consumed or else you know it what could have happened.

I have another point to put forward, which I'll do through a video, Inshallah. Wait for my next post :)
Animals are raised ARTIFICIALLY for food industry. IN nature they dont grow and multiply like this, they are bred through AS and hormonal injections and bred in hardh living conditions. Birds live in cramped places where they cannot even roam about freely or even fly.
If you had to kill for your own food would you do it , in NATURE according to your species balance argument, would you be actively participating by "preying" on animal that you ought to eat? Or does it come to your plate, without you having to worry how it was brutally slaughtered by someone else!

Do you think all of this is permitted?

If you support the slaughter of animals in the name of Allah permitting it, then where is the concept of compassion for sentient beings?
Reply

- IqRa -
07-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by T.I.A
Why make something forbidden for yourself which your Lord has allowed for you?
which part of this do u not understand vegetariansoul?
Reply

VegetarianSoul
07-15-2009, 11:29 AM
And you speak on balance in nature. What balance will remain if we dont understand the ethical, health, and environmental impacts of these animal slaughter houses where animals are kept over-crowded and in inhumane conditions. And its already established that running animal slaughter houses is actually contributing to depetion of biodiversity due to great amount of deforestation,land degradation, and so on.

As for ritual slaughter, animals are fully conscious when their carotid arteries are cut. This is supposed to cause unconsciousness within seconds, but because of blood flow through the vertebral arteries in the back of the neck, some animals can remain conscious as they bleed for up to a minute..
As a muslim, if you have a CHOICE and can be a VEGETARIAN , would that not support for compassion living as recommended by God?
Reply

Ali_008
07-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by VegetarianSoul
Animals are raised ARTIFICIALLY for food industry. IN nature they dont grow and multiply like this, they are bred through AS and hormonal injections and bred in hardh living conditions. Birds live in cramped places where they cannot even roam about freely or even fly.
If you had to kill for your own food would you do it , in NATURE according to your species balance argument, would you be actively participating by "preying" on animal that you ought to eat? Or does it come to your plate, without you having to worry how it was brutally slaughtered by someone else!

Do you think all of this is permitted?

If you support the slaughter of animals in the name of Allah permitting it, then where is the concept of compassion for sentient beings?
Brother, all these injections and hormones are recent inventions and discoveries. They weren't even there 10-20 years ago and still the population was same and the animals had the same capactity to multiply or rather more because these days many animals are dying because of strange new diseases as well.

I saw the video you posted. I completely agree that such behavior with animals should be condemned. And even the Qur'an supports it. Animals are to be slaughtered in a proper way. Any other kind of slaughter is forbidden as stated in the Quran in Surah Maida (Surah # 5), verse 3 :

Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah. that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety.

I haven't been able to find the video which I wanted to post.
Inshallah, I'll write it down and post.
Reply

Al-Zaara
07-15-2009, 11:37 AM
In my family, we try to buy eco-friendly products inshaAllah. I really understand your points and do think they are valid and important.

I mean for example chickens usually have the most horrific conditions, it's really lots of chickens in one small place stuck together and forced to produce eggs and feeded to become fat, then killed. But those eco-friendly products promise the chickens were taken care of in an enviromental passable place for them and such.. What do you think about those kind of eco-friendly products?
Reply

Banu_Hashim
07-15-2009, 11:38 AM
This is an Islamic Forum Vegetarian Soul, and your going to get an Islamic perspective.

It says in the Qur'an; "You who believe, fulfil your obligations. Livestock animals are lawful as food for you, with the exception of what is about to be announced to you. You are forbidden to kill game while you are on pilgrimage-God commands that He will." (5:1)

That's all there is to it.
Reply

Ali_008
07-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by VegetarianSoul
And you speak on balance in nature. What balance will remain if we dont understand the ethical, health, and environmental impacts of these animal slaughter houses where animals are kept over-crowded and in inhumane conditions. And its already established that running animal slaughter houses is actually contributing to depetion of biodiversity due to great amount of deforestation,land degradation, and so on.

As for ritual slaughter, animals are fully conscious when their carotid arteries are cut. This is supposed to cause unconsciousness within seconds, but because of blood flow through the vertebral arteries in the back of the neck, some animals can remain conscious as they bleed for up to a minute..
As a muslim, if you have a CHOICE and can be a VEGETARIAN , would that not support for compassion living as recommended by God?
Being a non-vegetarian isn't a compulsion in Islam. Its a person's wish to eat meat or not. A Muslim can be a good Muslim even by being a vegetarian. But Allah has given you a choice so I take the side of being a non-veggy because of the taste and nutrition it provides.
Reply

Al-Zaara
07-15-2009, 11:40 AM
^ I agree with Ali_008.
Reply

VegetarianSoul
07-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Ali_008
Brother, all these injections and hormones are recent inventions and discoveries. They weren't even there 10-20 years ago and still the population was same and the animals had the same capactity to multiply or rather more because these days many animals are dying because of strange new diseases as well.

I saw the video you posted. I completely agree that such behavior with animals should be condemned. And even the Qur'an supports it. Animals are to be slaughtered in a proper way. Any other kind of slaughter is forbidden as stated in the Quran in Surah Maida (Surah # 5), verse 3 :



Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than Allah. that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety.


I still am looking for information on concept of soul in Islam. IF there is one, then how can all these killings be justified? You say that dead meat is forbidden, arent all animals dead when they get slaughtered, you wrote blood is forbidden, but at the same time no meat can be obtained without shredding atleast a drop of blood

I haven't been able to find the video which I wanted to post.
Inshallah, I'll write it down and post.
You condemn the slaughtering scences from the video I posted, how cruel it is to kill animals and that too for food . In my opinion a slaughter is a slaughter, no matter HOW the animal is killed.
Reply

Banu_Hashim
07-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by VegetarianSoul
In my opinion a slaughter is a slaughter, no matter HOW the animal is killed.
Fine. That is your opinion.
Reply

- IqRa -
07-15-2009, 12:07 PM
This thread should be closed. It's stupid.
Reply

VegetarianSoul
07-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
In my family, we try to buy eco-friendly products inshaAllah. I really understand your points and do think they are valid and important.

I mean for example chickens usually have the most horrific conditions, it's really lots of chickens in one small place stuck together and forced to produce eggs and feeded to become fat, then killed. But those eco-friendly products promise the chickens were taken care of in an enviromental passable place for them and such.. What do you think about those kind of eco-friendly products?
I have been vegetarian all my life, I prefer organic and BIO products whenever I can.

Our food is highly polluted in terms of high processing,storage,freezing and preserving methods used...
I dont eat eggs mainy because of my being vegetarian

Also there reasons:

-Its part of birds menstruation cycle, and produced from reproductive organs of bird
-Eggs drop out from exactly the same hole they poop.
-Chicks are confined in cages that does not permit birds to roam,so they cannot fly,move or even stretch their wings
-As for the male chicks, what happens to them?
well, they are collected when hatched and are put in plastic bags where they slowly suffocated to dead

Even in farms, chicks are still limited to the treatment by owners, as "products" and as free as birds should be.
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
07-16-2009, 06:42 AM
:sl:
although i acknowledge that some people put animals through torture to eat (and dont agree with it), i will still say that you can still slaughter and eat animals without having to put them through torture...boycotting eating meat due to a few people's irresponsibilities is being a bit much in my opinion...i know i've seen my own family slaughter animals kindly and without causing harm to the animal, as im sure many other people do the same. people need to eat and if there are valid and halal options on getting food, then i don't see why we should deny ourselves from it.

also, lets take into account those societies that don't have the luxury of getting non vegetarian food and very much depend on meat as their staple.

besides meat is good for your body's iron levels...i think :hiding:
Reply

Ali_008
07-16-2009, 09:24 AM
:sl:
Allah has allowed meat and he has forbidden cruelty to animals. So if cruelty is being shown to animals then the responsible authorities should be reported about it. And cruelty is also shown to the animal if its slaughter is not ritually right. In ritual slaughter, the animal has painless instant death because the nerve between the brain and the body is cut and so the animals instantly blacks out without any pain. The body shakes after the slaughter because of the hasty rush of blood out of the body.
And Allah knows best
Wallahu Alam
:w:
Reply

Ali_008
07-16-2009, 09:31 AM
i was trying because I don't think that the thread will be enough for him. I see these veggies everyday and I know how difficult it is to convince them
Reply

UmmSqueakster
07-16-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm a meat minimalist - I believe that Allah (swt) created human beings to eat meat, just not the enormous amount that we eat today.
Reply

- IqRa -
07-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Meat arouses and increases the sexual drive, so we should eat less of that, especially unmarried brothers.
Reply

'Abd-al Latif
07-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Threads Merged
Reply

'Abd-al Latif
07-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by T.I.A
Meat arouses and increases the sexual drive, so we should eat less of that, especially unmarried brothers.
Can I ask where you got this from?
Reply

- IqRa -
07-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Jazaak Allah Khayr for brother Saifur-Rahmaan for opening this thread.

Can I ask where you got this from?
:::::::::::

One mineral that is crucial to sex drive is Zinc. It has been referred to as the sex mineral; Zinc not only helps produce testosterone, but also helps to maintain semen volume and adequate levels of testosterone; maintaining sex drive and keeping sperm healthy.

Make sure you get plenty of it from crab, multigrain bread, oysters, red meat and oily fish.
Source

Thread can be closed inshaAllaah.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 09:43 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 04:23 AM
  3. Replies: 204
    Last Post: 04-07-2010, 12:14 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 07:11 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!