View Full Version : Internet addiction

Yanal
07-15-2009, 05:05 PM
:sl:
Any tips..?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AnonymousPoster
07-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Oh man, i can definitely say that i was an internet addict for many years up until very very very recently actually. It can't have done my education any good, but Alhumdullilah Allah made me do well in the end.

I don't know what advice to give you as nothing could stop me. My addiction has gone naturally and randomly and very suddenly, i think it is to do with other events in my life, but i think that is how changes happen in life. Other things takeover and shake up your world.

What do you do at the moment, study/work? How much free time do you have? Maybe you need to get busy with other things, which will leave less time for you to go online and also tire you out and make you forget about the urge to go on the internet. Once you go on it, you can stay on for hours, but if you don't get the opportunity to go on it then you are fine.

Practical tips i can give you, but i'm not sure if they'll be any use to you because i knew of them and never did them on purpose -

* if you have wireless connection and a laptop, then remove it. This way your laptop is stationed to only one place it can recieve internet, making you less comfortable and less able to go online all the time.
* carrying on from the first point, have your laptop/computer in another room, not your bedroom. And maybe in a place where you wouldn't naturally spend alot of time and would have to go to specially to use the internet. This will also cut off the ease and comfort of being online more frequently and for long periods of time.
* if possible, i don't know if it is, maybe have a internet time limit put on your connection, so it automatically cuts off after a certain time.
* tell someone who you may not be comfortable knowing how long you spend on the internet - the shame and the willingness to prove them you are better now can help your will power.
* lastly make dua - i made dua to improve my life, but never for my internet addiction to go down and i guess i should have, but Alhumdullilah Allah has helped me anyway.

Out of curiousity, what do you do on the internet? I used to go on a forum that wasted so much of my time, and the key was to stop posting there, i would still go on it to read but i stopped posting myself. This in turn removed the daily "ooh wonder what replies i've had, wonder what people have to say to my opinion etc etc" and this slowly but surely kills your need to go on that forum so much. I think that was the key to mine and a general disregard now to coming on the internet except for usefull things.

Ansariyah
07-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Get out, discover the world, smell the roses, annoy ur siblings. Play sports wit ur mates. The options are endless..

GuestFellow
07-15-2009, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Try electric shock therapy.

What?

They use it in China. :uuh:
O__o

Well if I was you, start off slow. Everyday reduce the amount of time you go on the internet. It worked for me.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
07-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Chuck the computer out of the window, that's what my dad did. It worked!!

'Cept he ended up buying us a new one, woohoo! So it only worked for a bit. :p

..Anyways I slowly started losing my addiction, kind of similar to Anons story really, I never really done much about the addiction, it went away on it's own.

Abdul Fattah
07-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Selam aleykum
There is a good way to cure an internet addiction, maybe I'll post it in this thread soon; just keep watching the thread....

Yanal
07-15-2009, 11:59 PM

Here's my story: I am a teenager who has to much free time,I usually do not use my computer for internet,I use my Ipod Touch because I have wi-fi all around my house. I only use my access for good,alhumdulilah such as posting on www.islamicboard.com,I feel I am an addict of internet because whenever I am bored I come on,which is very often. At times I even end up being late for Salah[prayer] recently. I am trying to stop that by giving my Ipod to my sister or brother to begin with. My brother occupies the computer so it will really be hard for me to come on LI after giving my Ipod away,which I think is great. I have tried to forget LI today which has seemed to work until the computer was free. I plan on changing these bad habits about me while not using the computer: me being spoiled(by myself),an addict,power-hungry,ambitious,and being impatient. I will try to come on every two weeks or every month till I feel I am worth of being a member on this forum. That will approximately be after Eid 'Al Adha insha'Allah. Even after I think I am worth of being a member here,my time will still be deducted because as I said before my computer is usually occupied. I appreciate the tips. I will also have my PM open, anyone with advice anonymously can PM me insha'Allah. JazakAllah Khayr for the advice. If I tend to come on here before July 21 please
can the brothers PM me and remind me insha'Allah. During this peroid of time I will also be attempting to raise my iman by various ways,I can tell after I am worth this forum,insha'Allah. I will be still be lurkering around this thread.

I am not enrolled into summer classes. I do read often.
:w:

AnonymousPoster
07-16-2009, 12:15 AM
No cure accept to occupy yourself. I too am an internet addict and reason is....Im free most of the time. I just go on it just for the hell of it. Flicking round websites for noting... It messed up my sleeping pattern and that effectively ruined my life.

Internet can be soul destroying. Take it from me

Yanal
07-16-2009, 12:34 AM

Indeed it can,it has caused me all of this problems:laziness(for studying),isolated from society,spending time useless. All this time I have used to be on the forum,I could have used better. The forum hinders with my ability to think about anything except LI(islamic board),that is why I say after today my next post should be entitled for July 21,2009 or even better August 1,2009. Any other tips by PM or here will be efficently used insha'Allah.

AnonymousPoster
07-16-2009, 01:03 AM
If its hampering your studies then you need to break this cycle ASAP. I realized a long time ago i lost in touch of reality and only now am I starting to get back to the real world.

I look back now and i regret it because I missed out on so much...It didn't do my confidence any good either.

Dont let it happen to you

Yanal
07-16-2009, 01:16 AM

After today,I am insha'Allah not coming on/posting till the right time.
What do you reccommend me doing?

AnonymousPoster
07-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Remind yourself there is a whole world out there for you to explore and sitting behind a screen, flicking round the internet isn't going to do you any good. Its shaytans work..If you are weak in your deen (like me) then he will eventually get you...The internet is full of rubbish and its EASY to fall into shaytans trap

Go for a jog or something, Keep yourself healthy, Study and get a job... Live your life in the real world....Set yourself a target and aim for the bulls eye.

Do what i didn't do...Resist temptation and make something of yourself

Ibn Abi Ahmed
07-16-2009, 01:45 AM

Get married.

Until then, post #2 has some good practical tips that you can start using. To add, internet addiction results from having too much free time. Get involved in the community etc - things that will keep you busy in useful things.

Yanal
07-16-2009, 02:07 AM

All helpful tips,I went out to a long walk. I now know it's hard to leave a loving community for 6 months approximately..but I have to do it for my good.and the forums:X

It's not an Internet addiction,it's a forums addiction,I never actually do anything on the internet except to come on LI. It's summer and it will be hard to get my mind of LI(possibili a few days) bear with me because today my time has dropped massively and I am going to improve even more insha'Allah tommorow.

Yanal
07-16-2009, 02:25 AM

I am getting doubts of leaving LI...it's hard to leave in summer...:X

Should I leave for a few weeks? Or stay active till school starts? I think I should stay active till school starts then Ill go on that break..whats your opinions?

Yanal
07-16-2009, 03:07 AM
Problem solved. Thread closed. May we All meet in heaven. Pray for me.

:threadclo

Muhaba
07-16-2009, 03:46 AM
This is a reply to Yanal's post "Internet Addiction." I wrote this but by the time I tried posting, the thread was closed. I don't want to restart a closer thread but i think this is important.

I hope Yanal will read it.

Reply to Yanal's post:

You could limit the amount of time you spend on LI but there is no need to stop altogether. In another post you said that you became more religious because of this site so this site is good for you. What if you stop coming here and become less religious? It may be that Shaytaan is telling you this to keep you away from a good islamic community.

if you know good muslims in your area or can use your time usefully (learning deen from books, taking courses, etc.) then do so. but if you can't then you should come here and read the religious discussions.

of course you shouldn't spend all your time here. do other stuff too, like going for walks, readng books, studying, helping your parents with housework, getting a job, etc. but do come here too to be in touch with the islamic community.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.