/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Woman jailed for Muslim blackmail

Uthman
07-16-2009, 10:42 AM
A blackmailer who threatened to expose her Muslim friend as a terrorist sympathiser has been jailed.

Muslim convert Mary-Nona Sturges, 54, of Totnes, Devon, extorted more than £3,000 from 21-year-old student Nabilah Hussain.

She claimed to have a recording of a row the pair had about the terrorist attacks in London on 7 July 2005.

Sturges was found guilty of blackmail and deception at Truro Crown Court. She was sentenced to four years.

Sturges was also ordered to pay the Hussain family £3,200 compensation and legal costs of £8,500.

The punishment fits the crime

Det Con Jo Aldridge, Devon and Cornwall Police

The court heard Sturges claimed to have taped Miss Hussain saying "the British deserve what they get" and threatened to give the tape to the police unless she was given money.

Judge Paul Darlow told Sturges that blackmail was a "wicked and ugly crime" and she had "grossly betrayed" Miss Hussain's trust.

He said Sturges used Miss Hussain's religious beliefs and ethnicity to isolate and frighten her.

"The motive must have been one of sheer greed," he said.

The judge said Sturges knew the Hussain family were "hard-working, modestly-paid people" and she had extracted money "they could barely afford".

'Psychological hold'

During the trial, prosecuting barrister Llewellyn Sellick said Sturges told Miss Hussain to get her family in Woking, Surrey, to pay various sums of money escalating from £200.

When the family became suspicious, her father travelled to Devon and the police were informed.

More than £7,000 was transferred into Miss Hussain's bank account and she withdrew about £9,000 between September and October 2006.

Sturges, a gift shop owner, was acquitted of three counts of blackmail relating to money handed over before Miss Hussain's family were involved.

Miss Hussain told the court she was completely convinced by the deception due to the "emotional and psychological hold" Sturges had over her.

Devon and Cornwall Police said it had been a complex investigation into a "despicable crime", but justice had been served.

"We are very pleased with the compensation allocated to the family," Det Con Jo Aldridge said.

"The punishment fits the crime."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
07-16-2009, 10:47 AM
'Muslim' convert Mary-Nona Sturges :-\ poor Nabilah. They're both silleh.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-16-2009, 12:36 PM
:sl:

:o That's insaneeeee wow...Allahu Mustaan.

The_Prince
07-16-2009, 02:55 PM
hopefully something bad happens to her in jail. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- IqRa -
07-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Absurd.

Zafran
07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
salaam

wow thats preety bad.

peace

Jon Paul
07-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Very sickening. It appears the government aren't the only persons trying to abuse its laws.

format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
hopefully something bad happens to her in jail. :)
While this is a very sad incident, I do not believe it is very charitable to wish harm on another. I realise this may have made you angry, and you may not be completely rational right now, we also say rash things in anger. But it is no excuse!

Keep God in your heart! Anger is the path to downfall.

Regards,
JP.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Anger is the path to downfall when used the wrong way.

Jon Paul
07-16-2009, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
Anger is the path to downfall when used the wrong way.
I believe there is a difference between wishing harm on another, and righteous anger.

Regards,
JP.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-16-2009, 06:29 PM
^^Did I state otherwise?

MaymunahKowthar
07-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Subhan'Allah, That's messed up...

Jon Paul
07-16-2009, 06:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
^^Did I state otherwise?
Perhaps I have misconceived your comment as a defence of just plain anger? If so, I apologise and beg forgiveness.

Regards,
JP.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-16-2009, 07:01 PM
No I wasn't angry at all, in any shape or form. I was just adding more to your statement...

It's ok.

Ar-RaYYan
07-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Doesnt that 'convert' know anything about blackmail in islam :blind:

jeff d
07-30-2009, 09:08 PM
I am so happy that I have been greeted into this forum with honesty, respect and brotherhood. I respect and offer my brotherhood to eveyone in this forum. I really wish the blackmailler would understand these concepts, as the blackmailler strikes with an incredible amount of distrust and infidelity.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.