/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Adam, Eve and Original Sin.

Jon Paul
07-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Hello, everyone!

I want to know what the Islamic teaching on Adam, Eve and Original Sin is. In Christianity, God created Adam and Eve. Adam and Eve were perfect, they enjoyed being in a state called Original Justice. Their time spent on earth in the Garden of Eden was a test as it were. God charged them with one rule - do not eat from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

As it goes, both Adam and Eve disobeyed God when Satan tempted Eve and Eve in turn seduced Adam.

What resulted is known as the fall from Original Justice. Adam and Eve were cast out of Eden to toil the earth etc., and suffer the temporal punishments due their sin.

From that day forth, the seed of Adam have been born with Original Sin, privation of Original Justice. This may seem unfair, but it works both ways. If Adam and Eve had remained true, then we would be born in Heaven in a state of Original Justice.

Anyway. Due to the great insult to God from man, God promised man a savior and redeemer. However, who could atone for the insult to the dignity of God, who is All-Great? No mere man. Why, only God Himself. God had to suffer along with man the temporal punishments to atone for mans sin. Man could have suffered for eons and it would be nothing to the insult done the dignity of God. This expands into Trinitarian Theology etc., which we do not need to get into.

Well, this is the basics of Adam, Eve and Original Sin as taught by the Catholic Church. I have provided it here so that you may understand my opinion when I ask you for your own.

How does Islam view this subject?

Regards,
JP.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AntiKarateKid
07-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm going to just give you an off the top of my head response.

Original sin doesn't exist in Islam. We believe we're not responsible for the sins of our forefathers and that humans, as one of Allah's greatest creations, are endowed with Fitrah, a topic which others can explain better than me.

Moreover, Adam repented for his action after his fall and Allah forgave him and provided him the means of living on the earth for a limited amount of time until, they can be joined with him again in the hearafter. And thus started the test for mankind.

Zafran
07-16-2009, 04:33 PM
salaam

Muslims believe that Adam and eve were made to be Caliphs or care takers on earth. When Adam and eve sinned and were tricked by the devil God forgave Adam pbuh and eve and made a convenant with him - where Adam pbuh becomes the first prophet of God.

The convenant is very simple - God will send messengers on earth for Bani Adam (children of adam) those who believe, obey and follow them will be succesful in the world and hereafter - those
whi dont will preety much get inot deep trouble.

as muslims we dont see earth as a punishment but a test for humanity.

peace

Imam
07-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Greetings,

1- Is humanity guilty for the sin which Adam committed by eating from the tree he was forbidden?

“…No person earns any (sin) except against himself (only), and no bearer of burdens shall bear the burden of another…” (Quran 6:164)

Unlike the Trinitarian concept, Sin in Islam is not a hereditary trait or ‘stain’ passed to one’s progeny one generation to another. All people will be accountable to what only they themselves did in this life. Therefore, even though the Quran mentions the sin of Adam and how he was banished from the Garden, it places no responsibility on the shoulders of his progeny.

2- Through God’s acceptance of Adam’s repentance, Adam was cleansed of the sin which he committed. God in the Quran repeatedly ascribes to Himself attribute of mercy and forgiveness.

“Then Adam received Words (of forgiveness) from his Lord, and he accepted his repentance. Verily, He is the One Who repeatedly accepts repentance, the Most Merciful.” (Quran 2:37)

3- Even to those who have sinned much and may lose hope in the forgiveness of God, He says: “Say: ‘O My slaves who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of God, indeed God forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.’” (Quran 39:53)

“O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great at it.” (Narrated Al-Tirmidhi-Classified fair)

The concept of original sin,simply, doesn't exist in Islam.

peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jon Paul
07-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Hello, everyone!

I find that very interesting. According to the Church, there are two kinds of sin. Original Sin and actual sin. Original Sin is the sin of our First Parents. We maintaint is not unjust for us to be punished for this sin, because the punishment is consisted in being deprived of a free gift from God - Original Justice. A gift we could have partook in had our First Parents remained true.

Actual sin is the sin that we bare resposibility for our selves, and the sins we shall be judged for. Actual sin is divided into mortal and venial sins. Sins that result in the spiritual death of a soul—of course the soul is eternal and cannot die, speaking of a spirtual death is when a soul is cut of from God—and venial sins result in the lessening of God's grace in our lives.

Original Sin is what the Church maintains is the result for the corruption of humanity. We were created perfect and in the likeness of God. Sin corrupted us and we call our nature after the fact as a fallen human nature. This is the reason why we believe Jesus Christ suffered for us.

I wonder if anyone could expan on the Islamic view on what Adam and Eve were like pre-fall?

We believe that in the State of Original Justice there was no death, no sickness, no hunger etc. Our souls and bodies were perfectly aligned and in constance with the Will of the Father.

Our fallen human nature caused a rebellion against body and soul, creating such things as death, sickness, sexual perversion etc. I personally maintain that the privation of Original Justice is the reason for "transgenderism" and "transgenderism" is the fullest extent of this internal war.

Regards,
JP.

abdullah_001
07-17-2009, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jon Paul
Hello, everyone!

I find that very interesting. According to the Church, there are two kinds of sin. Original Sin and actual sin. Original Sin is the sin of our First Parents. We maintaint is not unjust for us to be punished for this sin, because the punishment is consisted in being deprived of a free gift from God - Original Justice. A gift we could have partook in had our First Parents remained true.

Actual sin is the sin that we bare resposibility for our selves, and the sins we shall be judged for. Actual sin is divided into mortal and venial sins. Sins that result in the spiritual death of a soul—of course the soul is eternal and cannot die, speaking of a spirtual death is when a soul is cut of from God—and venial sins result in the lessening of God's grace in our lives.

Original Sin is what the Church maintains is the result for the corruption of humanity. We were created perfect and in the likeness of God. Sin corrupted us and we call our nature after the fact as a fallen human nature. This is the reason why we believe Jesus Christ suffered for us.

I wonder if anyone could expan on the Islamic view on what Adam and Eve were like pre-fall?

We believe that in the State of Original Justice there was no death, no sickness, no hunger etc. Our souls and bodies were perfectly aligned and in constance with the Will of the Father.

Our fallen human nature caused a rebellion against body and soul, creating such things as death, sickness, sexual perversion etc. I personally maintain that the privation of Original Justice is the reason for "transgenderism" and "transgenderism" is the fullest extent of this internal war.

Regards,
JP.
Hello,

First of all, God Almighty says in the Qur'an a translation of which is: "Say: He is Allah, the One! (1) Allah, the eternally Besought of all! (2) He begetteth not nor was begotten. (3) And there is none comparable unto Him. (4)" (Chapter 112). From this we know that God is unique and does not have any familial bonds, and hence, there can be no creation which resembles God (because God is unique, and there is none comparable to him).

As far as the question regarding sins goes, God Almighty says in the Qur'an (a translation): " Say: "Shall I seek a lord other than Allâh, while He is the Lord of all things? No person earns any (sin) except against himself (only), and no bearer of burdens shall bear the burden of another. Then unto your Lord is your return, so He will tell you that wherein you have been differing(164)" (Chapter 6). In Islam there is no concept of orignal sin, every person is responsible for his/her deeds. This also denies the notion that Jesus (pbuh) could have suffered for the sake of humanity because as we said, every person is responsible only for hteir deeds and actions.

Regarding Adam and Eve, God Almighty says in the Qur'an, a translation of which is: " And We said: "O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in the Paradise and eat both of you freely with pleasure and delight, of things therein as wherever you will, but come not near this tree or you both will be of the Zâlimûn (wrong-doers)." (35) Then the Shaitân (Satan) made them slip therefrom (the Paradise), and got them out from that in which they were. We said: "Get you down, all, with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be a dwelling place for you and an enjoyment for a time." (36) Then Adam received from his Lord Words []. And his Lord pardoned him (accepted his repentance). Verily, He is the One Who forgives (accepts repentance), the Most Merciful (37) We said: "Get down all of you from this place (the Paradise), then whenever there comes to you Guidance from Me, and whoever follows My Guidance, there shall be no fear on them, nor shall they grieve (38)" (Chapter 2). A few things to note though, Islam doesn't place the blame on Eve for the misguidance of Adam as we can see God Almighty states in the Qur'an that both of them ate from the tree. Firthermore, Adam (pbuh) was pardoned for his mistake so there can't be any concept of orignal sin to begin with.

I have to get ready for friday prayers, I hope I clarified some stuff for you though.

take care

abdullah_001
07-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Hello, everyone!

Regards,
JP.
Hello,

First of all, God Almighty says in the Qur'an a translation of which is: "Say: He is Allah, the One! (1) Allah, the eternally Besought of all! (2) He begetteth not nor was begotten. (3) And there is none comparable unto Him. (4)" (Chapter 112). From this we know that God is unique and does not have any familial bonds, and hence, there can be no creation which resembles God (because God is unique, and there is none comparable to him).

As far as the question regarding sins goes, God Almighty says in the Qur'an (a translation): " Say: "Shall I seek a lord other than Allâh, while He is the Lord of all things? No person earns any (sin) except against himself (only), and no bearer of burdens shall bear the burden of another. Then unto your Lord is your return, so He will tell you that wherein you have been differing(164)" (Chapter 6). In Islam there is no concept of orignal sin, every person is responsible for his/her deeds. This also denies the notion that Jesus (pbuh) could have suffered for the sake of humanity because as we said, every person is responsible only for hteir deeds and actions.

Regarding Adam and Eve, God Almighty says in the Qur'an, a translation of which is: " And We said: "O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in the Paradise and eat both of you freely with pleasure and delight, of things therein as wherever you will, but come not near this tree or you both will be of the Zâlimûn (wrong-doers)." (35) Then the Shaitân (Satan) made them slip therefrom (the Paradise), and got them out from that in which they were. We said: "Get you down, all, with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be a dwelling place for you and an enjoyment for a time." (36) Then Adam received from his Lord Words []. And his Lord pardoned him (accepted his repentance). Verily, He is the One Who forgives (accepts repentance), the Most Merciful (37) We said: "Get down all of you from this place (the Paradise), then whenever there comes to you Guidance from Me, and whoever follows My Guidance, there shall be no fear on them, nor shall they grieve (38)" (Chapter 2). Furthermore, Adam (pbuh) was pardoned for his mistake so there can't be any concept of original sin to begin with.

I have to get ready for Friday prayers, I hope I clarified some stuff for you though.

Edit: I feel i must apologize for saying something wrong (though now i have edited it out, inshaAllah, will be more careful in the future) so forgive me inshaAllah, may Allah forgive us through his mercy our mistakes and our sins, ameen.

take care

gang4
07-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Imam Shabir Ally said: "Muslim believes in Original Repentance".

Here is the link to Ibn Kathir Stories of the prophets including prophet Adam a.s.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...N793UBDsWMo4kQ

Hello, everyone!

...with the Will of the Father.

Regards,
JP.
Muslim is one who submits to the Will of Allah....

A-Believer-25
08-11-2009, 11:15 PM
:sl:

There is no "Original sin" in Islam. Every human being is born innocent. God is Merciful and Just. He does not punish anyone for someone else's sin. God forgave Adam and Eve (Peace be upon them) after they ate from the tree.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.