/* */

PDA

View Full Version : what does islam say about debating ?

anonymous
07-16-2009, 08:45 PM
:sl:

what does islam say about debating or any form of arguing with an atheist over religion ?

i think i remember reading in the Qur'an once that it was not encouraged but i can't remember

can someone shed some light on this matter please

thank you in advance!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- IqRa -
07-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Dr. Zakir Naik debates, does he not?

Al-Hanbali
07-17-2009, 02:01 PM
:salamext:

I would say don't spend endless amounts of your time trying to convince an atheist.

Adopt the Qur'aanic methodology; there are only a handful of aayaat which address the atheist; so we do that as well; deliver the message and move on.

As some would say, "How long would you spend trying to convince someone that the sun is shining?"

Allaahu A'lam.

anonymous
07-17-2009, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
Dr. Zakir Naik debates, does he not?
yes, and that instantly means he is right, does it not?

if you actually read my post i said "or any forms of arguing"

format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
:salamext:

I would say don't spend endless amounts of your time trying to convince an atheist.

Adopt the Qur'aanic methodology; there are only a handful of aayaat which address the atheist; so we do that as well; deliver the message and move on.

As some would say, "How long would you spend trying to convince someone that the sun is shining?"

Allaahu A'lam.
thanks and nice quote at the end never heard that before

anyway i asked around and found a few verses in surah An-Nisa, one of which i'll post

"And it has already been revealed to you in the Book that when you hear the verses of Allah being denied and mocked at, then sit not with them, until they engage in a talk other than that, (but if you stayed with them) vertainly in that case you would be like them..."

An nisa:140

then i looked up tafsir and then it stressed the difference between constructive criticism and mockery

also refer to surah Al-Kafiroon

thanks

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.