/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Oldest woman to give birth dies, leaving twins

جوري
07-17-2009, 06:24 AM
another interesting article..
borrowed sperms and eggs and a new rejuvenated uterus

Oldest woman to give birth dies, leaving twins

captphoto 1247663577900 2 0?x213&ampy160&ampxc1&ampyc1&ampwc409&amphc307&ampq85&ampsigsxKLUh3PE9A8QZuDmHFsGw   - AFP/File – The Sant Pau Hospital in Barcelona where Carmen Bousada, 67, gave birth to twins in December 2006, becoming …

By DANIEL WOOLLS, Associated Press Writer Daniel Woolls, Associated Press Writer – Wed Jul 15, 7:49 pm ET
MADRID – She devoted years to caring for her mother, who died at age 101. Then Maria del Carmen Bousada embarked on a quest to become a mom herself. She lied to a California fertility clinic to skirt its age limit, and later pointed to her mother's longevity as a reason to expect she'd be around to care for her kids.
At age 66 she had twins, becoming the world's oldest new mom — and raising questions about maternity so late in life. Now she is dead at age 69, leaving behind boys not yet 3.
Bousada's brother told the Diario de Cadiz newspaper his sister died Saturday, though he did not disclose the cause. Bousada said in November that she was being treated for stomach cancer.
Shortly after her sons, Pau and Christian, were born in December 2006, Bousada reflected on her decision to deceive doctors in order to have a family.
"I think everyone should become a mother at the right time for them," she told the British tabloid News of the World, which showed her beaming as she cradled her 1-month-old infants, both dressed in pale blue pajamas.
"Often circumstances put you between a rock and a hard place, and maybe things shouldn't have been done in the way they were done, but that was the only way to achieve the thing I had always dreamed of, and I did it," she said.
Beginning in 2005, Bousada underwent hormone treatments to reverse nearly 20 years of menopause and sold her house to pay for in vitro fertilization at the Pacific Fertility Clinic in Los Angeles.
Slender with dark brown hair, she told the clinic she was 55 — the facility's maximum age for single women undergoing the procedure. When her sons were born in December 2006, Guinness World Records said she was the oldest woman on record to give birth.
Dr. Vicken Sahakian, director and owner of the clinic, said Bousada falsified her birth date on documents from Spain.
When he learned of the deception, "I figured something might happen and wind up being a disaster for these kids, and unfortunately I was right," he told The Associated Press.
It's easy for women to lie to their doctors, Sahakian said.
"We don't ask for passports, obviously. When is the last time you went to a doctor and he asked you for a birth certificate? We're not detectives here," he said.
Sahakian said he implanted the Spanish woman with a younger woman's eggs and donated sperm, using hormone therapy to "rejuvenate" her uterus after she had been in menopause for 18 years.
The hormone treatment lasted three weeks. Sahakian said he did not believe that increased the woman's cancer risk.
"Nothing she did (to get pregnant) caused her illness," he said.
The brother, Ricardo Bousada, told the Barcelona-based newspaper El Periodico de Catalunya that he had sold details of his sister's death to an unidentified television program and the proceeds would go to looking after his sister's twins.
Repeated calls to Ricardo Bousada's residence in the southern province of Cadiz went unanswered Wednesday.
Another brother, Jose Luis Bousada, told the AP he was estranged from his siblings and read about his sister's death in the newspaper. Asked who might raise the children, he said he imagined arrangements had been made and "I suppose there will be no problem."
When she revealed last November she had stomach cancer, Bousada said she did not regret having children late in life and that her sons would be well-cared for no matter what happened to their mother.
Addressing her mortality and her children's tender age, she told Spanish television station Antena 3: "I hope God does not ... I want to hang on at least until they are 18."
But, she added, the boys would always have "their godfather, their custodian."
Women undergoing in vitro fertilization have their hormone systems manipulated by doctors, typically injecting themselves with hormones several times a day. The procedure increases the chance of a multiple birth, which heightens the risk of complications during pregnancy.
Bousada lived with her mother most of her life in Cadiz and worked in a department store before retiring. She decided to have children after her mother died in 2005 and initially kept her plan secret from her family.
She sold her house to raise $59,000 to pay for in vitro fertilization in Los Angeles, she told the News of the World.
Spanish law on assisted reproduction sets no age limit, but state-funded and private clinics have an informal agreement establishing 50 as the cutoff, based on recommendations from the scientific community, according to the Health Ministry.
There is no U.S. law regulating the age of in vitro candidates, but Sahakian said his clinic won't take older women because "I would like the mother ... to basically survive until the kids reach 18."
When Bousada told her relatives she was two months pregnant, they thought she was joking, she said.
"Yes, I am old of course, but if I live as long as my mom did, imagine, I could even have grandchildren," she said after the birth.
Allan Pacey, secretary of the British Fertility Society, said the organization recommends that assisted conception generally not be provided to women beyond the natural age of menopause at about 50.
"The rationale ... is that nature didn't design women to have assisted conception beyond the age of the natural menopause, he said. "Once you get into the mid-50s, I think nature is trying to tell us something."
"I think many people would worry about providing fertility treatment to women in their 60s. I think as a general rule, to embark on pregnancy when you may not see your child go to university is potentially a very difficult situation."
Adriana Iliescu, a Romanian who also gave birth at 66, although she was 130 days younger than Bousada, said she was pained to hear of the Spanish woman's death and what it would mean for her sons.
"It is a great sadness when kids are orphans but civil society will help these children," she told the AP.
She described her daughter Eliza, born in 2005, as "very energetic and spoiled. We dance and sing together."
"I don't feel I am getting old. My pregnancy kept me young," Iliescu said.
___
Associated Press writers Robert Jablon in Los Angeles, Maria Cheng in London, Alison Mutler in Bucharest, and Jorge Sainz and Paul Haven in Madrid contributed to this report.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090715/...ain_oldest_mom

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
07-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Dang... I thought it's alot of pain!

جوري
07-17-2009, 06:49 AM
most likely she died from all the hormones she took to 'rejuvenate' her uterus
sob7an Allah is all I can say.. how odd is this arrangement.

some woman donates her eggs, some man donates his sperms, presumably those people do it often maybe in the future marry and have kids of their own, possibly alot of incestuous relationships in the future with children who don't know they are siblings.. then this foolish woman pays with her life for trying to cheat a proper physiological function that Allah swt assigned to a particular period in a woman's life...

haram upon haram upon haram upon haram....

glo
07-17-2009, 07:34 AM
I just think it is so unfair on the children - giving birth to them, knowing that you will almost certainly not be around to raise your children yourself and see them grow to adulthood!

I wonder if she made provisions for the care of her children, should anything happen to her ...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Raaina
07-17-2009, 09:56 AM
This is such a sad story :(

I didn't know about all the details about her lieing about her age and such.... still very tragic for the new born kiddies :(

Al-Zaara
07-19-2009, 04:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I just think it is so unfair on the children - giving birth to them, knowing that you will almost certainly not be around to raise your children yourself and see them grow to adulthood!

I wonder if she made provisions for the care of her children, should anything happen to her ...
I fully agree, it's very unfair. May Allah subhana we ta'ala protect and help the children.

Faye
07-19-2009, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

Life is uncertain. Even young mothers can die at any age.

I think she did make provisions. She mentions the godfather taking care of them if she wasn't able, in the article.

Though I don't agree with what she did for the reasons Gossamer Skye mentioned...
some woman donates her eggs, some man donates his sperms, presumably those people do it often maybe in the future marry and have kids of their own, possibly alot of incestuous relationships in the future with children who don't know they are siblings.. then this foolish woman pays with her life for trying to cheat a proper physiological function that Allah swt assigned to a particular period in a woman's life...

haram upon haram upon haram upon haram....
Still, I can understand the desire to have family and kids.

جوري
07-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Some people die during childbirth.. the question of death is always with us and I don't think it is the main focus, at least I am hoping it wouldn't be since there is a far deeper ethical issue here that most as with everything else would rather turn a blind eye too.. she is a mere surrogate who purchased and egg and a sperm to house them in her uterus. These children don't belong to her and will never know their actual parents, since they are nothing more than sperm emitted or an egg sold by people who felt a monetary exchange has bigger value than human life...

fertility clinics that peddle in human parts as such to me have no ethics and given the amount of money people spend when desperate for a child and I know many who are but go about it by the means Allah swt made lawful or are satisfied with what Allah swt decreed! these clinics whether terminating human life or selling it to people is nothing more than get rich quick schemes which unfortunately is truly a sign of the time and nothing can be done to remedy it!

:w:

AntiKarateKid
07-20-2009, 03:49 PM
How selfish. Knowingly depriving the kids of a mother just so she could give herself the illusion of youth.

Muhaba
07-20-2009, 04:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Some people die during childbirth.. the question of death is always with us and I don't think it is the main focus, at least I am hoping it wouldn't be since there is a far deeper ethical issue here that most as with everything else would rather turn a blind eye too.. she is a mere surrogate who purchased and egg and a sperm to house them in her uterus. These children don't belong to her and will never know their actual parents, since they are nothing more than sperm emitted or an egg sold by people who felt a monetary exchange has bigger value than human life...

fertility clinics that peddle in human parts as such to me have no ethics and given the amount of money people spend when desperate for a child and I know many who are but go about it by the means Allah swt made lawful or are satisfied with what Allah swt decreed! these clinics whether terminating human life or selling it to people is nothing more than get rich quick schemes which unfortunately is truly a sign of the time and nothing can be done to remedy it!

:w:
True. Still, i am glad she had her dream come true. every woman should have a chance to become a mother, although no one should do anything haraam, but this woman wasn't muslim in the first place.

Having children late in life shouldn't be looked down upon, as there is no guarantee we will live to see our children become grown up even if we have children at a very young age.

AntiKarateKid
07-20-2009, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
True. Still, i am glad she had her dream come true. every woman should have a chance to become a mother, although no one should do anything haraam, but this woman wasn't muslim in the first place.

Having children late in life shouldn't be looked down upon, as there is no guarantee we will live to see our children become grown up even if we have children at a very young age.
There is a difference between "maybe I'll die soon" and "I am old and WILL die very soon".

There is no comparison and there is no excuse for her to put her own desire to be a mother ahead of the happiness of those who she bore.

Is the thrill of saying "I'm a mother!" worth two children growing up without parents?

جوري
07-20-2009, 06:33 PM
this woman's mother died at the age of 101.. naturally she thought longevity was in her genes, further she sacrificed herself for the care of her mother, and wasn't until her mother passed away that she opted to have a family by said means.. Now, I have no problems with people having children at whatever age, in fact I have just posted an article yesterday about a 29yr old woman who died of cancer in feb. but left her husband notes and instructions on how to care for the children.. No one can guarantee life at any stage of it.. I believe that her death was direct insult from the hormones she dumped into her body and the stress of carrying children at her age.. Hormones in excess are linked to cancers and a host of other problems in fact, some fertility treatments can even cause ovarian rupture.. it isn't the point when it is your own body parts you are abusing.. but eggs and sperm for hire, I have a deep, ethical and moral problems with...

I fear (since medical legislation are left to courts) that at some point we'll find these very common practices and not just confined to a few doctors that see no ethical or moral dilemma in harvesting eggs, or euthanizing individuals..

I hope it doesn't become common practice, and that medicine remains the noble profession that it has always been!

Ansariyah
07-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Why did she wait until 69 to have children?

As Allah willed, feel sorry for the children who have to grow up without a mother.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.