/* */

PDA

View Full Version : the people of the book!

Caller الداعي
07-17-2009, 09:38 AM
salam alaikum guys!
i just thought that this would be good to paste very interesting!

Is that cellphone kosher?

Some Haredi Jews have embraced modern technology, with limits

The BBC's Erica Chernofsky looks at how Israel's highly traditional ultra-Orthodox Jewish community is tackling the challenges and opportunities of new communications technologies.

When Israeli father Avi tried to register his six-year-old twin daughters for his local ultra-Orthodox school this year, he was happy to sign a form saying his children did not watch television or use the internet at home.

But he was surprised to discover he had to give a "kosher cellphone number". He did not have one.

Avi lives in Har Nof, one of the main ultra-Orthodox, or Haredi, neighbourhoods of Jerusalem.

I feel I can control myself not to use the bad features - but do I trust my children?

Avi
The community separates itself from mainstream society through its traditional religious practices and distinctive attire of black hats, coats and sidelocks for the men and long skirts and sleeves for the women.

Like most other men in his community, Avi studies the Jewish scriptures daily, keeps the Sabbath and eats only kosher food.

But he has not yet opted for the new religious adaptation to modern technology that has swept the Haredi world in Israel.

'Immodest' behaviour

The kosher cellphone looks like an ordinary cellphone, can make and receive calls, and may have a calculator and alarm clock.

One of the defining features of kosher mobiles is a rabbinical stamp
But it cannot send or receive text messages, browse the internet or take photos - all activities that could potentially involve behaviour considered "immodest" among Haredis.

For example, SMS capability could lead to the unwitting receipt of mass text messages publicising secular events. It could also be used as a method of illicit communication between male and female teenagers.

And all photos of women are forbidden, as is accessing websites with content deemed inappropriate.

The phone's other defining feature is a rabbinical stamp of approval, similar to those seen on kosher food items.

more.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7636021.stm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AntiKarateKid
07-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Wow no texting. As if people can't be immodest over the phone.

Gubbleknucker
07-31-2009, 06:48 AM
I don't think that communications should be limited.
This is a step in the right direction.

format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
Wow no texting. As if people can't be immodest over the phone.
I agree.

The article said that texting was limited because you can send out mass text messages, which could be used to advertise secular events.

They don't want their children exposed to secularism.

AntiKarateKid
07-31-2009, 01:49 PM
If their religion is right, they should be in public setting a good example. Not hiding in the closet out of fear. It reminds me of those monks who live in secluded mountaintops, ridiculous.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.