/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic Dress code?

anonymous
07-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Salamaleykum

Is there a specific requirement in Islam 'for men' to dress a certain way? My revert husband is refusing to wear a thobe, kufi anything that makes him look Muslim. when i suggested he wears the thobe with the imama he told me that he is not arab:exhausted. He only wears jeans, shirts. I can't stand the kafir women drooling after him wehn we are out. i know that he lowers his gaze, i see them staring. I was hoping that if he did wore his muslim attire the stares would lessen, people usually don't look at what looks different, scared of that muslim/manly talabani look see what i mean, but are more likely to run after my paul walker look alike hubbie. I dont want him to dress more islamically for my jealousy purposes but he should look muslim, no? He got his beard its small.. is quite practising alhamdulilah. Every friday before we go out, i tried to put the kufi on him, he told me this past friday that i should have married an arab if i dont like the way he looks. that really got to me, i dont want a kufi to cause that kind of misunderstanding between us i love him too much to make him feel like he's not good enough for me..ahh sigh what to do?imsad

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
07-19-2009, 07:53 PM
hmm dont know what to say except does he dress you?

crayon
07-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Just because people that follow a certain cultural tradition happen to be muslim, does not make their doings Islamic. In the same sense, just because arab men tend to wear a thobe, or people from the subcontinent wear a salwar kameez, doesn't make their dress 'islamic'. A pair of jeans and tshirt is no less islamic than a thobe, as long as it meets the proper requriments. Some people may disagree, but this is my personal opinion on the matter. Sometimes one wears arab/pakistani/whatever clothing to identify more with muslims I guess, and that's their choice, but to impose that on a person when it has no basis in Islam I believe is unfair.

Check out this link.

As for your husband, just talk to him, and tell him how you feel. Tell him it makes you uncomfortable when women stare at him, just as he would be uncomfortable if men stared at you- ask him if he thinks there's anything he can do to lessen it.

Intisar
07-19-2009, 08:24 PM
:sl: I agree with sister crayon. As long as his jeans are above the ankles and he covers his awrah, like you do, then there shouldn't be a problem. Some people try to pass off cultural dress as ''islamic clothing'' which is just basically ethnocentric. He can follow his own culture and wear clothing that follows islamic guidelines insha'Allah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Layla454
07-19-2009, 08:31 PM
He doesn't have to wear a thobe to be considered Muslim. Muslims all around the world have different clothing but as long as they adhere to the shariah, then there shouldn't be a problem

Ibn Abi Ahmed
07-19-2009, 08:33 PM
:sl:

The sunnah is to dress in the clothes of the people of your land. The Prophet (saw) dressed as the people in his locality and time dressed, when he dressed up (with special clothes) for Eid, he dressed up wearing the Yemeni garments because that was according to what was the norm for the people of his time - he didn't come and invent a new 'fashion revolution'.

To stop women from checking him out, he should grow a thick beard. Works wonders :p

crayon
07-19-2009, 08:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maalik
To stop women from checking him out, he should grow a thick beard. Works wonders :p
Uhhm, not necessarily, lol. To stop women checking him out he should grow a mustache. Ew. But that's against the sunnah, so.. Like I said, just talk to him, and inshaAllah you'll both find a way to work things out.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
07-19-2009, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Uhhm, not necessarily, lol. To stop women checking him out he should grow a mustache. Ew. But that's against the sunnah, so.. Like I said, just talk to him, and inshaAllah you'll both find a way to work things out.
I meant the wrong type of women. The practicing sisters would lower their gaze or see he has a wife so..

Long mustaches are just...:skeleton:

crayon
07-19-2009, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maalik
I meant the wrong type of women. The practicing sisters would lower their gaze or see he has a wife so..
Yup, I guess that is true.
And wow, what a fast reply, lol.

Snowflake
07-21-2009, 04:56 PM
A pair of jeans and tshirt is no less islamic than a thobe, as long as it meets the proper requriments. Some people may disagree......
I do! lol

Sorry but a t-shirt and jeans do not cover the male awrah which does make them unislamic - unless the t-shirt reaches his knees :p

Pk_#2
07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
I do! lol

Sorry but a t-shirt and jeans do not cover the male awrah which does make them unislamic - unless the t-shirt reaches his knees :p
You never know sis :X this world is a weird place :rollseyes

crayon
07-21-2009, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
I do! lol

Of course there's a difference between skinny jeans and regular pants that do not show one's shape. Never before have I heard that it is not permissible for a man to wear pants..

link.

If not pants, then what do you believe men should wear, sis? :)

crayon
07-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Ooh, I was just reading some more about this, and I found this:
The scholars also made an exception concerning Muslims wearing the distinctive clothes of the kuffaar when living in daar al-harb (non-Muslim countries which are at war with Muslims) or for purposes which will benefit the Muslims. Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said: "When a Muslim is living in a non-Muslim land (whether or not it is hostile to Islam), he is not expected to differ from them (the kuffaar) in his outward appearance, because of the harm that may result (from dressing as a Muslim). It is preferable, even obligatory, for a man to look like them sometimes, if that will achieve some religious purpose such as calling them to Islam, finding out their secrets in order to tell the Muslims about them, repelling their harm from the Muslims, and other worthwhile aims. But in the Muslim lands where Allah has caused His religion to prevail, and where the kuffaar are in an inferior position and are paying jizyah (taxes paid by non-Muslims living under an Islamic government), it is obligatory for Muslims to look different from the kuffaar." (Iqtidaa' al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem).
source

Very interesting, didn't know that!
I'm guessing that was what you might have been referring to, brother Maalik?

Snowflake
07-21-2009, 10:01 PM
^ does that apply to women too then? what next... :hmm:
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Of course there's a difference between skinny jeans and regular pants that do not show one's shape. Never before have I heard that it is not permissible for a man to wear pants..

link.

If not pants, then what do you believe men should wear, sis? :)
Sis, I was sat in the doctor's waiting room, fiddling with my mobile the other day. I looked up to see a man's rear right in front of me (a few feet away of course). These pants were certainly no skinny jeans but it was just yukkk! +o(

I didn't say men can't wear pants but that there ought to be a kameez over the pants to cover the awrah.

crayon
07-21-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm guessing it obviously means it's fine to dress like them within the bounds of Islam..

Haha yeah, that is a disturbing image- that's why men should wear long shirts, especially when they pray...:hmm:

True, true.. But as long as the pants are wide enough and there is no bending down involved lol, I personally think the awrah is covered, even if the tshirt doesn't reach below the knees.

anonymous
08-08-2009, 11:10 AM
:sl:

My husband surprised me yesterday, he wore an imama. I was really happy when he said ''how ya like me now'':D. I always wanted him to try kohl which he agreed to try as well. First time I wanted him to try it, he told me your trying to turn me into a dressing up doll'' lol.

To stop women from checking him out, he should grow a thick beard. Works wonders
His beard wont grow too thick, but i think the imama can make up for that:shade:.

jazakaeyllah khayran.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.