/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Makrooh plucking white hair

syilla
07-20-2009, 01:41 AM
:salamext:

Can anyone post me a hadith saying it is makrooh to pluck white hair.

And also i found this... thought of sharing :D

Plucking hairs produces traction alopecia and may cause permanent loss of the hair if you persist on doing it.
Thanks in advance.

wassallam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
07-20-2009, 05:35 AM
http://www.darululoom-deoband.com/en...sailofhair.htm

Imam Abu Dawood (RA) reports on the authority of Amar bin Shuaib that the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihi wa sallam said: - "Do not pluck the strands of white hair for verily they are the noor (splendour and refulgence) of Islam. Whomsoever advances in age in the state of Islam, in lieu of that, Allah (S.W.) will record a good deed and obliterate a sin from his book of deeds."
Tirmizi and ibne Majah narrate from Hadhrat Ka'b ibne Murrah: - "The hair of a person which turns white in a state of Islam will serve as a source of noor (refulgence) for him on the day of Qiyamat (judgement)."
Tabari reports on the authority of Hadhrat Abdullah ibne Masood (RA) that the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihi wasalam showed abhorrence and displeasure towards the transformation or removal of white strands of hair.

- IqRa -
07-20-2009, 09:15 AM
What about colouring? Can we colour them?

Banu_Hashim
07-20-2009, 09:18 AM
^ You can, as far as I know. I think it's acceptable... But not black? I'm not entirely sure...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ar-RaYYan
07-20-2009, 10:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
:salamext:

Can anyone post me a hadith saying it is makrooh to pluck white hair.

Thanks in advance.

wassallam
'Amr ibn Shu'ayb reported from his grandfather that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Do not pluck out white hair. It will be the light of a Muslim on the Day of Rising." [at-Tirmidhi]

What about colouring? Can we colour them?
colouring white hair you mean?

well you are allowed to dye them:

Qatadah R.A. reports: "I asked Anas R.A., 'Did Rasulullah
(Sallallahu alaihe wasallam)
dye his hair?'" He replied: "The hair of Rasulullah (Sallallahu
alaihe wasallam) did not reach such a stage where one would use a dye.However Rasulullah (Sallallahu alihe wasallam) did have a few white hair on his temples, on the other hand Abu Bakr R.A. dyed his hair with Hina and Katm." At- Tirmidhi

Commentary
Katm is a type of grass, which is used for dying the hair. Some people say that the colour of Katm is black, and if mixed with Hina it becomes red. Others say the colour of Katm is green, and when mixed with Hina it gives a black tint. Mulla Ali Qari says: 'The one that gives more colour is considered. If more Katm is used the dye becomes black and if more Hina is used, it becomes red'. The use of both colours are permissible, but black should not be used. It has been forbidden in the ahaadith to use a totally black dye.

As someone else stated its forbidden to change hair with black dye:

“Change this white hair but avoid black.” (See Saheeh Muslim, 5476).
“There will be people at the end of time who will dye their hair black like the crops of birds; they will not even smell the fragrance of Paradise.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4212; al-Nasaa’i, 8/138; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 8153

crayon
07-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Semi related question- Is it permissible to leave your hair white? I think I may have heard that it is sunnah to color it (not black though), is that true?

Ar-RaYYan
07-20-2009, 10:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Semi related question- Is it permissible to leave your hair white? I think I may have heard that it is sunnah to color it (not black though), is that true?

yes, you are right its sunnah to colour your white hair because of this hadith:

Allah's Apostle said, "The Jews and the Christians do not dye (their grey hair), so you shall do the opposite of what they do (i.e. dye your grey hair and beards)."
Hadith - Bukhari 4:668, Narrated Abu Huraira , see also Bukhari 7:786

But im not sure whether its permissible to leave your hair white although we have to try our best not to imitate non-muslims:

He is not one of us, he who imitates others. Do not imitate either the Jews or the Christians." (At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawood)

Edit: Unless there are proofs from the Qur'an, Hadiths or consensus from scholars why we can't, I think its permisible to leave your hair white. Allah knows best
Inshallah next time im going to the masjid for a lecture i will ask the sheikh this question

Banu_Hashim
07-20-2009, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Of course. It is not forbidden to allow your hair to be white. There is a hadith, that it signifies wisdom, or something along those lines.

Banu_Hashim
07-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Narrated by Qatada: I asked Anas, "Did the prophet used to dye (his) hair? He said, "No, there were only a few white hairs on his temples."

Vol. 4 Book 56. Virtues and merits of the Prophet (pbuh) and his Companions.

Hadith 750. (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.