/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab----thinking about wearing it.

AnonymousPoster
07-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Selam

I grew up dressing westernized, modestly, but western clothes nonetheless. Lately i have become closer to my religion, islam, and i wish to practice more faithfully.

I also have been having the strong urge to wear the hijab.
Im just very frightened of the reaction i will get from my family and friends.
Some family members arent religious at all and they already give me a hard time about being somewhat religious, if i wear the hijab, they are going to be ruthless.
Also, i think the only person who will support my decision in the end would be my dad and probably my mom too, she supports me in everything.

What should i do? I know i shouldnt care what other think or say, but i grew up in a family that we deal with each other daily and im afraid of the things they will say or do, im afraid they will make me struggle to embrace my faith fully.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
07-21-2009, 08:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
im afraid they will make me struggle to embrace my faith fully.
Honey, that's all part of the package deal. If practicing Islam was simple with no obstacles to keep you from it, what would be the point? It is hard to be a good muslim these days, but that makes it so much more worth it. Jannah isn't attained easily. Just think of how the prophet peace be upon him and his companions suffered for so many long years just because they practiced and preached Islam. I know it's easier said than done, and I know it feels really hard for you right now, but everyone has different tests and difficulties. Perhaps this is your test? Just be strong and firm upon the truth, and know that you are on the correct path, even if others make it difficult for you. May Allah make it easy for you sister, and for all those who are struggling to practice Islam. Barakallah fiki.

adil hasnain
07-21-2009, 09:26 AM
When a muslim becomes more religious Shaitan tries to work harder to bring him away from the Siratal Mustaqimm I have seen it from my my own eyes.H especially tries to work on your family but just know you are doing it for Allah.Allah will help you its all a test from him to see how strong your Imaan is.

- IqRa -
07-21-2009, 09:33 AM
You are correct brother.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Banu_Hashim
07-21-2009, 09:41 AM
It's good to know that you'll at least have your parents support. That's important. I admire you for wanting to wear the hijaab for the right reasons. As said, you'll face hardships but for those people with a strong faith like you always have hard tests to come against. The Prophets of Islam; Musa, Ibraheem, Isa, Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon them all) were amongst the best of creation and as Prophets their Imaan was at such a high level we cannot begin to imagine. And they faced tests that were soo hard, because their Imaan was strong. So have faith. You'll be rewarded inshaAllah.... And I remind my self before anyone to continue being consistent in your good deeds even if it's small things and improve your Imaan, your deen step by step and you'll become a better person because of it. All the best.

Fe Amaanillah.

Thinker
07-21-2009, 01:12 PM
i wish to practice more faithfully.

My advice to you, a person who is likely to have her actions questioned by those she values, is to clearly understand your reasons and be able to answer those that question what you do.

You may find the below thread interesting, it started with a reporter asking some women why they wore the covering they wore and some of them appeared unclear. What followed was a discussion on that subject which might give you answers that will help you.

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...ing-hijab.html

AntiKarateKid
07-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Selam

I grew up dressing westernized, modestly, but western clothes nonetheless. Lately i have become closer to my religion, islam, and i wish to practice more faithfully.

Some family members arent religious at all and they already give me a hard time about being somewhat religious, if i wear the hijab, they are going to be ruthless.
Also, i think the only person who will support my decision in the end would be my dad and probably my mom too, she supports me in everything.

What should i do? I know i shouldnt care what other think or say, but i grew up in a family that we deal with each other daily and im afraid of the things they will say or do, im afraid they will make me struggle to embrace my faith fully.

Do you know how abused and persecuted the companions of the Prophet pbuh were? You shouldn't let any irreligious person hinder you from following Allah's path.

Who's wrath should you be afraid of? The One who controls your life and death? Or your mocking family/friends? Read this.

"Those to whom people [i.e. hypocrites] said, “Indeed, the people have gathered against you, so fear them.” But it [merely] increased them in faith, and they said, “Sufficient for us is Allaah, and [He is] the best Disposer of affairs.” So they returned with favor from Allaah and bounty, no harm having touched them. And they pursued the pleasure of Allaah, and Allaah is the Possessor of great bounty. That is only Satan who frightens [you] of his supporters. So fear them not, but fear Me, if you are [indeed] believers." [Quran 3:173-175]

Be proud that Allah is bringing you closer to Islam through all the filth in this world and be strong that you may not fail before you die.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-21-2009, 01:57 PM
may Allah give you the courage to please him over others... i know its difficult - may Allah give you that courage

Ameen

MusLiM 4 LiFe
07-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Selam

I was in exactly the same position as you sister, i've been brought up wearing western clothes aswell traditional clothes (which were modest) but was never told to wear the hijab. My dad was really religious and my mum wears the hijab and is practising however they never told me to wear Hijab, it was upto me to start wearing it. It was a couple of years ago when i started practising more and i had this intention at the back of my head saying i will wear it Inshallah when i start college and you know what, I havent even started college and im wearing it Alhamdulilah. Its only been like 5 weeks or so ive been starting to wear it but i love it! Its absolutely amazing, cant describe what it feels like when i have it on, and the biggest reward is that im obeying Allah SWT and thats why i feel so good :)

My family (uncles, aunties etc) are only religious to a certain extent. Some dont even pray and noone (except the older lot like my mum etc) in my family wear Hijab and when i put it on everyone was so proud of me :) Sometimes my aunty says, if someone saw us walking together in the streets they would think 'its not right, the neice wears hijab and the aunty doesnt', so im hoping Inshallah they will start soon. Anyway sorry back to the point, I thought my uncles will keep going on and on saying how come your wearing hijab or whatever, but you know what they dont say anything but i know what theyre thinking. I know theyre proud of me and Im sure it'll be the same for you Inshallah. And to be truthful, mum was abit iffy on me wearing Hijab cuz she thought i wouldnt stick to it and she doesnt want me to start and then take it off but now she's soo so happy bless her.. :statisfie

At the end of the day sis, life is a test and yeah you will face things that are going to be hard but just remember its Jihad and you will get rewarded for it Inshallah. But if you ever need to talk, just PM me :)

I pray everything goes well for you sis :statisfie

AnonymousPoster
07-22-2009, 02:03 AM
Thanks all of you for the kind words.

Im very nervous about it, im gonna take it a step at a time, im going to focus on strengthening my deen first and foremost, so that inshallah when i do wear the hijab, i will be strong in my deen and resist/deal with whatever is thrown at me.

Ummu Sufyaan
07-22-2009, 02:40 AM
:sl:
all the best sis...but do realize the hijaab can be a way to strengthen your faith :p

AlbanianMuslim
07-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Shaheed, in some cases that may be so, but i understand the sister because i myself did the same before covering.

I knew that if i put on the hijab without having a strong deen, i would probably chicken out and take it off.
The sister is doing a good thing by taking the process a step at a time, so that when she does take that leap, she sticks to it. For girls who grew up in westernized culture and non religious backgrounds, putting the hijab on is a major leap. It takes a lot of courage and strength.

Inshallah you make it sis!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.