/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is music a drug?

AbdullahSyed
07-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Music acts on our emotions and feelings. Drugs act on our emotions and feelings. We generally recognise that the feelings created by drugs are not "real". Does the same apply to music? Is music a drug?

Is Music a Drug?
If we knew what music was and we knew what a drug was, then this question would be easy to answer. But actually we don't know what music is (at least not with any certainty).

So I will approach this question by starting with the definition of "drug", and then I will see if music has some or all of the same properties that define what a drug is.

What is a Drug?
For the purposes of this discussion, I define a drug to be:

A substance, which when consumed by a person, alters the state of mind of that person, as a result of direct action of the substance on the brain or nervous system.
(This is the notion of "mind-altering drug", distinct from the notion of "pharmaceutical" or "medical" drug, although some substances do fall into both categories.)

The final qualification of this definition is important, because in general any substance may alter a person's state of mind when consumed. For example, if I feel thirsty, and I drink water, then I will feel less thirsty. But we recognise this as part of the brain's normal operation, which has the purpose of determining if the body is short of water and therefore needs to consume more water.

In constrast, if you consume alcohol, you might feel "better", but this is not because there is a biological need for alcohol, but rather because the alcohol directly acts on those parts of your brain that attempt to compute what is "better" and what is "worse". Another way to say this is that the feelings generated by alcohol are false feelings, and that although drinking alcohol can make you feel better, you are not really better off, from a biological point of view (which ultimately translates into: does this help long-term reproductive success?). Whereas, if consumption of water makes you feel better, it is because you are better off drinking it, because your body needs water to survive, and depending on circumstances, sometimes it needs more water and sometimes it doesn't need so much water.

Now music isn't a substance, so according to the strict definition of a drug, it isn't a drug. But we can accept a certain amount of poetic license, and consider the question "Is music a drug?" to be a question about the reality or falsity of the feelings that music generates.

Music as Super-Stimulus
According to my super-stimulus theory of music, music consists of contrived "speech" which is a super-stimulus for the perception of musicality, where musicality is a particular perceived property of speech which provides information about the internal mental state of the speaker, which consequently influences the listener's emotional response to the speech of the speaker.

The nature of the contrivance is such that, if this theory is correct, we must judge the feelings created by music to indeed be false. For example, a musical instrument does not have any mental state at all, so any emotional reaction to a perception of that instrument's mental state must be entirely spurious. Even if a musical performer is singing, so that the music is closer to normal speech, the musicality of the singing reflects the abilities of the performer and the song-writer in contriving the musicality, and does not necessarily reflect the true inner mental state of the performer.

Music as Illusion?
If we want to be pedantic, we might say that music is more of an illusion than a drug, in that it acts on perceptual modules in the brain whose purpose is to perform genuine perception, but it provides data belonging to a subset of possible data which the relevant modules are not able to process correctly.

That said, music is the only significant illusion that is generated and consumed for pleasure in a major way. We could interpret entertainment such as motion pictures (i.e. film and television) as a similar form of illusory contrivance, however, in this case the contrivance is one that produces perceptual input that it is almost identical to what the real input would be if the fiction being portrayed was indeed factual. Whereas if we regard music as a type of speech, it is not a realistic imitation of any normal type of speech.

How Strong a Drug?
So if music is a drug, how strong is it? Is it dangerous? Should it be classified on some narcotics schedule as class A, B, C or D?

Speaking entirely from personal experience, I would say that the effect of the strongest music is somewhat greater than that of caffeine, but less than that of alcohol.

Comparison of music with any particular drug is complicated by the fact that the specific effects of music are not identical to that of any drug, and the specific effects of different drugs are also different from each other. (My experiences with mind-altering drugs are somewhat limited, and some readers might know of other drugs that produce effects closer to the actual effects of music – but please don't tell me about it if the relevant drug is illegal.)

For most chemical drugs the effects are proportional to the amount taken, so we could try to more precisely relate the effect of our favourite music with that of a particular amount of (for instance) alcohol taken. The standard way of measuring the amount of alcohol in a person is milligrams per milliliter of blood. Of course most people have not actually had their blood alcohol measured in this way, but it can be estimated as a function of number of standard "drinks" consumed by a person in proportion to their size and body weight. Thus a simple characterisation might be the equivalent of N drinks consumed by a person of normal size and weight.

Even here there are complications relating to tolerance (in the case of alcohol) and boredom (in the case of music). The effects of alcohol are greater if you have not been drinking regularly for weeks or months. The effects of your favourite music may be much greater the first few times you hear it; after that you become somewhat bored by it (especially if you only ever hear it as one particular recording).

So, allowing for all these difficulties, I will make a very rough estimate, and say that the effect of the strongest music might be equivalent to about 1 or 2 standard drinks.

Does Music Ruin Your Liver?
Most drugs have some detrimental effect on the body if taken to excess, and it is a consequence of the false feelings created by drugs that they often are taken to excess. Music is not a substance, so it isn't going to cause the type of damage that drugs cause. But the excessive consumption of music can cause ill-health. The most common example is when too much exposure to overly loud music damages receptor hair cells in the ear, which causes deafness, particularly in those frequencies that occur strongly in the music.

Is Music Addictive?
The precise definition of "addiction" is somewhat problematic, even when applied to drugs. A useful definition is:

A user is addicted to a drug if they have a compulsive need to continue taking it, regardless of the negative consequences of doing so.
For drugs like heroin, the notion of addiction is relatively uncontroversial, although even with heroin there is confusion between the effects of withdrawal symptoms, which drive consumption in the short-term, and the anticipation of the effects of use, which can motivate consumption even in an addict who has gone through detoxification. For a not-quite-so-strong drug like cocaine, it becomes less clear as to where the boundary between regular use and addiction lies. Looking at the more popular alcohol, some people get addicted to it, and some don't. Some types of drug are relatively non-addictive, and some hallucinatory drugs such as LSD aren't really addictive at all.

There is the weaker notion of "psychological dependence", which implies that you will miss not having something, but not to the extent that you would deem yourself to be suffering. I think that might be a fair description of many people's relationship with music.

Can Music cause Delusions?
There is a fuzzy line between illusion and delusion, where the difference lies mainly in whether the subject of the relevant deception realises that they are being deceived. Also some types of delusion exist and are sustained at a higher level (such as "everyone is getting at me"), where the delusion itself seems to alter the interpretation of low-level perceptions in its favour, rather than depending on specific faulty misinterpretations.

Drugs can cause dangerous delusional behaviour, and the classic example of this is when a hallucinatory drug makes someone think they can fly, and they attempt to prove this by jumping from a high place.

Music can be used to rouse people's feelings, particularly in religious and political situations. However the roused feelings usually disappear rather quickly when the music is switched off, which limits the ability of music to single-handedly inspire people to irrational action. But in cases where people want to deceive themselves, then music can play a role in helping to dispel any discomfort caused by doubts and uncertainties about the causes that they want to believe in.

Conclusion
So, is music a drug? The short answer is "yes, sort of". The long answer is that it can be considered similar in the strength and nature of its effects to a mild recreational drug, in that:

It generates "false" feelings.
The maximum level of effect is roughly equivalent to 1 or 2 "standard" alcoholic drinks.
It is not strictly addictive, but may cause psychological dependence.
Excessive consumption can cause some health problems.
Delusional side-effects are fairly limited.

by Philip Dorrell

http://www.1729.com/blog/IsMusicADrug.html

http://whatismusic.info/download.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamad
07-21-2009, 11:28 PM
:salamext:

anything can be addicting. Even being obsessed with being clean can. You have the will to stop feeding that drug.90% keep feeding it,10% try and out of that 10% approximately on 2% succeed.

AbdullahSyed
07-21-2009, 11:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamad
:salamext:

anything can be addicting. Even being obsessed with being clean can. You have the will to stop feeding that drug.90% keep feeding it,10% try and out of that 10% approximately on 2% succeed.
I do not see the comparsion between the two. How does obession with cleaning compare to addiction to music? Music has greater influence on your brain and the way you react. Recent, study showed the kind of music people listen to can tell you a lot about their personality and there choices in life. Does that not show the influence music has on individuals? Also, in another study it showed people who are depressed often rely on music so they escape the reality for a little while. But after, the individual is done with listening to whatever they go back to feeling blue some studies show it just makes depression worse. Therefore, people often are addicted to music or television because they never want to leave that few moments of happiness behind. Music and television have taken away the power of thinking from people. No longer are we interested in the reality of the world rather in something which has no value to the world. There is a war going on and people are more interested in the gossip of celebrities. Media and music can alter the way people think. Gangsterism is direct cause of rap music without rap so many black youth probably would not have died and many others. Gothic music is responsible for many school shootings and weird rituals where they kill a person or themselves. Until a person kills himself through cleaning I do not see the comparsion that is made. Even though I do agree people should learn self-control and not obesses over things. But through personal experince I always warn people specially the young ones agiasnt music.

TrueStranger
07-22-2009, 12:08 AM
If we accept the idea that music is a drug and it influence your thinking, then we have to acknowledge the fact that there are songs that preach peace, respect, kindness, tolerance, etc, which in return influence people to do good.

So it could be argued both ways. Music is nothing more or less than what one decides it to be. The movies play a huge role in gang-violence for it is more graphic and imagery is used.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AbdullahSyed
07-22-2009, 01:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by TrueStranger
If we accept the idea that music is a drug and it influence your thinking, then we have to acknowledge the fact that there are songs that preach peace, respect, kindness, tolerance, etc, which in return influence people to do good.

So it could be argued both ways. Music is nothing more or less than what one decides it to be. The movies play a huge role in gang-violence for it is more graphic and imagery is used.
Yes, it can thats the great thing about Public forums we can always have different opinions and argue each others points. You need to understand there is also a religious stance agianst music in Islam. The song by Nickelback: "If everyone Cared" its a really good song and very peaceful but if an individual were to listen to the song couple times a day they just lost valuable time of worship. I use to listen to pop and very peaceful music myself but I found it quite waste of my time and I would achieve nothing from listening to these songs. I oppose movies so you just validated my point.

Pomak
07-22-2009, 02:27 AM
Now music isn't a substance, so according to the strict definition of a drug, it isn't a drug. But we can accept a certain amount of poetic license, and consider the question "Is music a drug?" to be a question about the reality or falsity of the feelings that music generates.
Sillly logic.

TrueStranger
07-22-2009, 04:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AbdullahSyed
Yes, it can thats the great thing about Public forums we can always have different opinions and argue each others points. You need to understand there is also a religious stance agianst music in Islam. The song by Nickelback: "If everyone Cared" its a really good song and very peaceful but if an individual were to listen to the song couple times a day they just lost valuable time of worship. I use to listen to pop and very peaceful music myself but I found it quite waste of my time and I would achieve nothing from listening to these songs. I oppose movies so you just validated my point.
Salaam Alaikum

I learned that everything has its negatives and positives this includes public forums. It is all about the intentions and what you want to achieve at the end of the day. Music isn’t really my weakness, Alhamduillah. When I was convinced that it was haraam I just stopped listening to it. But I remember listening to music while I wrote my college 6-15 page essay papers. What I noticed was that I would generate thoughts faster and it was like a mind booster, I can’t explain it. The music was defiantly stimulating my brain cells. But now it is the same thing when I listen to the Quran. So I have no idea what it is.

As for the movies, I know there are some decent ones out there, especially those based on a true story. But I mostly enjoy documentaries. 20/20, dateline, 60 minutes, primetime and 48 Hours. I will watch any of those programs.

AbdullahSyed
07-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Walikum Salam

Sorry I did not no if you were a Muslim or not because you do not have it displayed.

When I was convinced that it was haraam
Of course, there is something wrong with music for it to be forbidden.

But I remember listening to music while I wrote my college 6-15 page essay papers. What I noticed was that I would generate thoughts faster and it was like a mind booster, I can’t explain it. The music was defiantly stimulating my brain cells.
Interesting!

But now it is the same thing when I listen to the Quran. So I have no idea what it is.
Maybe, it helps you stay more focused and avoid unnecessary thoughts or distractions.

ut I mostly enjoy documentaries. 20/20, dateline, 60 minutes, primetime and 48 Hours. I will watch any of those programs.
I do not like those shows my brother watches dateline I honestly find that show annoying.

- IqRa -
07-22-2009, 03:21 PM
I find music to be a drug, a very addictive drug.

Beardo
07-22-2009, 03:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
I find music to be a drug, a very addictive drug.
Agreed. I can see where they come from.

But that doesn't include Nasheeds, right? :skeleton:

alcurad
07-22-2009, 03:51 PM
^ditto.

are clouds actually candy? the moon made of cheese? butterflies made of jam? whales made of horses? and so many other mysterious question never to be answered.

I mean seriously?if you think music is forbidden just post the daleels and then read some refutations of the daleels you just posted, then make up your mind and be done with it, but "does music ruin your liver"?

last time I heard a nasheed my liver felt strange, like it was THERE, you know that feeling? as in I felt I actually trulily HAD a LIVER, and,,it was just THERE, and it was just sitting THERE staring at me, and then it said gimme music! and I said noes, no way, it'll ruin you, but it just SAT there and LOOKED at me,,
with it's eyes,,

oh noes, I think I'ma see the doctor nao.

sorry if this offends :) but I found it hilarious, good luck, and may all our livers stay safe.

Clover
07-22-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't know, I love music, most kinds anyways. I listen to music a pretty good amount, especially when riding the bus to and from school, but not as much as I used to cause I am talking a lot to people.

جوري
07-22-2009, 09:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
^ditto.

are clouds actually candy? the moon made of cheese? butterflies made of jam? whales made of horses? and so many other mysterious question never to be answered.

I mean seriously?if you think music is forbidden just post the daleels and then read some refutations of the daleels you just posted, then make up your mind and be done with it, but "does music ruin your liver"?

last time I heard a nasheed my liver felt strange, like it was THERE, you know that feeling? as in I felt I actually trulily HAD a LIVER, and,,it was just THERE, and it was just sitting THERE staring at me, and then it said gimme music! and I said noes, no way, it'll ruin you, but it just SAT there and LOOKED at me,,with it's eyes,,

oh noes, I think I'ma see the doctor nao.

sorry if this offends :) but I found it hilarious, good luck, and may all our livers stay safe.
hmmmmmn.. your organs don't feel visceral pain, unless of course it is a stretch on the liver capsule or through contractions like in the uterus.. but you can't say oh my liver oh my pancreas .. ..
pain in the pancreas for instance may give you what is called a referred pain which will be perceived as radiating to the back given that the pancreas is mostly a retroperitoneal organ.. many different types of pain somatic, referred (to where they were located in the embryonal stage)...

what is the point of all of this you ask? I just felt like it.. and for all the malingerers out there.. most doctors know their dermatomal and sclerotomal distributions so don't go to hospitals faking for whatever reason.. :hmm:

waslaam khitam

Trumble
07-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Music acts on our emotions and feelings. Drugs act on our emotions and feelings. We generally recognise that the feelings created by drugs are not "real". Does the same apply to music?
If emotions and feelings created by music aren't 'real' then exactly the same is true of those created by paintings, literature, film, even architecture (particularly of religious buildings!). Stimulating such feelings is the whole purpose of art.

AbdullahSyed
07-22-2009, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by eHafiz
Agreed. I can see where they come from.

But that doesn't include Nasheeds, right? :skeleton:
I know few people that are addicted to nasheed the same way some people are addicted to music. I personally never really liked nasheed because most of them are in arabic I do not understand arabic that well.

Beardo
07-23-2009, 02:11 AM
I know few people that are addicted to nasheed the same way some people are addicted to music. I personally never really liked nasheed because most of them are in arabic I do not understand arabic that well.
TONS and TONS of english nasheeds too brother. :p

Muezzin
07-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Music acts on our emotions and feelings. Drugs act on our emotions and feelings. We generally recognise that the feelings created by drugs are not "real". Does the same apply to music? Is music a drug?
Is good literature a drug then? Or good sculpture? Or good architecture? Et cetera.

We sometimes overthink things in our occasionally pointless scramble to 'justify' rulings that are quite simple.

AbdullahSyed
07-23-2009, 04:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by eHafiz
TONS and TONS of english nasheeds too brother. :p
Too cheesy for me lol

AbdullahSyed
07-23-2009, 04:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Is good literature a drug then? Or good sculpture? Or good architecture? Et cetera.

We sometimes overthink things in our occasionally pointless scramble to 'justify' rulings that are quite simple.
You just reworded a comment posted previously. Of course, if you just read snippets from the articles it will make no sense. Besides, I did not write the article just found it interesting and decided to post it so I can share it with everyone else. If you really want to argue with someone go argue with the author. I am not here to justify his stance on music

optimist
07-24-2009, 09:53 AM
What is a Drug?
For the purposes of this discussion, I define a drug to be:

A substance, which when consumed by a person, alters the state of mind of that person, as a result of direct action of the substance on the brain or nervous system.
(This is the notion of "mind-altering drug", distinct from the notion of "pharmaceutical" or "medical" drug, although some substances do fall into both categories.)
Salam,

By this definition even Quran also could be called as a drug which affects us positively. It depends on what type of music you listen to. If you listen to good music that will alter your mind positively. For instance, listening to national anthem in a victory ceremony can make someone very emotional. Listening to a patriotic song can boost the morale or the soldiers in the battlegroud. Mothers and nannies sing songs to small babies when they cry and they stop crying. By this definition Music could be called as a drug. However, similar like a knife could be used to someone and also to cut vegitables, music also if not used in a good sense it could harm an individual.

wassalam

Muezzin
07-24-2009, 10:32 AM
You just reworded a comment posted previously. Of course, if you just read snippets from the articles it will make no sense.
I read the whole thing. It’s still overcomplicating the matter in my opinion, but the author is entitled to his.

Besides, I did not write the article just found it interesting and decided to post it so I can share it with everyone else. If you really want to argue with someone go argue with the author. I am not here to justify his stance on music
Whoah. What did I say?

I did not mean for my post to be a personal attack on yourself, nor did I think you had written the article yourself.

AbdullahSyed
07-25-2009, 03:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by optimist
Salam,

By this definition even Quran also could be called as a drug which affects us positively. It depends on what type of music you listen to. If you listen to good music that will alter your mind positively. For instance, listening to national anthem in a victory ceremony can make someone very emotional. Listening to a patriotic song can boost the morale or the soldiers in the battlegroud. Mothers and nannies sing songs to small babies when they cry and they stop crying. By this definition Music could be called as a drug. However, similar like a knife could be used to someone and also to cut vegitables, music also if not used in a good sense it could harm an individual.

wassalam

I just cannot imagine someone would die for their country thats just a pointless death. But I can see where you are coming from music can have a positive impact on some people. I just never had this positive impact on myself. music is an addiction which I found quite hard to give up. It never did any good for me only giving me false temporary happiness which later came with much greater grieve and regret.

AbdullahSyed
07-25-2009, 03:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I read the whole thing. It’s still overcomplicating the matter in my opinion, but the author is entitled to his.

Whoah. What did I say?

I did not mean for my post to be a personal attack on yourself, nor did I think you had written the article yourself.
I found this part to be bit rude.

AbdullahSyed
07-25-2009, 03:57 AM
By this definition even Quran also could be called as a drug which affects us positively
Indeed, Quran is a drug that cures diseased hearts. I was listening to the lecture called "The end of music" By Kamal el Mekki on Youtube. I found it interesting how he mentions that music opens heart to desires and temptations. A lot of music lovers do not know this either because they don't want to or just oblivious to it. But once you listen to the lecture with an open mind and try to put things in perpecptive you may realize what is good and what is not.

Detritavore
07-25-2009, 04:33 AM
That was a very interesting read brother.

I have always thought of music as being the intoxicant of the soul.

Muezzin
07-25-2009, 12:44 PM
I found this part to be bit rude.
Ah. My apologies.

optimist
07-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I just cannot imagine someone would die for their country thats just a pointless death. But I can see where you are coming from music can have a positive impact on some people. I just never had this positive impact on myself. music is an addiction which I found quite hard to give up. It never did any good for me only giving me false temporary happiness which later came with much greater grieve and regret.
Salam,

May be music gave you only false temporary happiness.....but for millions it is not like that. If you are got "addicted" to music it is your problem. Most people can not be said to be addicted to music....they might be addicted to things like smoking, and other bad habits. But Music is not like that. It is a cure, a medicine for our heart. It relives us from tensions and make us feel good. The only problem is the choice of music. We have to select good music.

Wassalam

HinduIconoclast
07-30-2009, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by optimist
Salam,

May be music gave you only false temporary happiness.....but for millions it is not like that. If you are got "addicted" to music it is your problem. Most people can not be said to be addicted to music....they might be addicted to things like smoking, and other bad habits. But Music is not like that. It is a cure, a medicine for our heart. It relives us from tensions and make us feel good. The only problem is the choice of music. We have to select good music.

Wassalam
Very true, I could not have stated it better myself. Music is basically a tool we use to either entertain ourselves or fake ourselves feel better. It is basically the same thing with tv, movies, sports, literature, etc. Since it does not cause any physical problems or psychological problems (in most people) it should be permitted.

Salahudeen
07-30-2009, 05:22 PM
When I used to listen to music it used to take me away from the deen, it kind of like put me in this fantasy world if that makes sense. It changed the things I cared about and my priorities.

This is why you'll find that girls who listen to bollywood songs are crazy about finding a guy and having a love marriage or romance before marriage. It's all they care about. it's like they've been brainwashed.

HinduIconoclast
07-30-2009, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
When I used to listen to music it used to take me away from the deen, it kind of like put me in this fantasy world if that makes sense. It changed the things I cared about and my priorities.

This is why you'll find that girls who listen to bollywood songs are crazy about finding a guy and having a love marriage or romance before marriage. It's all they care about. it's like they've been brainwashed.
That is exactly what we mean by being addicted to music. As long as people don't lose themselves in music and what it portrays, it is fine. But if they are prone to do this, they should stay away from music because it will change people's priorities and distract them heavily as you said.

AbdullahSyed
07-30-2009, 06:27 PM

You might find this video interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iEq00R1nK4

AbdullahSyed
07-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Salam alykm brother

May be music gave you only false temporary happiness
but for millions it is not like that
ME ONLY ? Some of the people on this forum agree with me. Millions? Where are you getting these numbers from?

If you are got "addicted" to music it is your problem. Most people can not be said to be addicted to music
Agreed, If I am addicted to something it is my responsiblity and people around me to help me change. Who are you to speak for MOST PEOPLE?

It relives us from tensions and make us feel good.
Takes you away from the reality? Gives you false illusions that everything is fine?

:wa:

AbdullahSyed
07-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Music is basically a tool we use to either entertain ourselves or fake ourselves feel better.
The reason people entertain themselve is to fake themselves into feeling better otherwise we would not entertain ourselves.

Since it does not cause any physical problems or psychological problems (in most people) it should be permitted.
No one was calling for worldwide ban on music. :)

HinduIconoclast
07-30-2009, 07:44 PM
No one was calling for worldwide ban on music. :)
Well of course, I wasn't implying anything of the sort. I listen to music too so I was just trying to defend.

Salahudeen
08-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Does anybody think that if the youth were made to stop listening to all these rap songs that have a gangster theme within them like 50 cents tracks. Then we'd have less gang culture and gangs aswell as less crime.

music is really impressionable on young people isn't it, so isn't it a bad idea to let youth listen to songs that promote gun culture and gang's aswell as being a "G" gangster.

GuestFellow
08-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Does anybody think that if the youth were made to stop listening to all these rap songs that have a gangster theme within them like 50 cents tracks. Then we'd have less gang culture and gangs aswell as less crime.

music is really impressionable on young people isn't it, so isn't it a bad idea to let youth listen to songs that promote gun culture and gang's aswell as being a "G" gangster.
Hmmm

I think there is a correlation between rap music and gang culture. The causes vary between individuals however I do agree that young people listening to rap music may not give them a realistic overview of how to behave in a normal society.

I personally detest gang culture and rap songs. Some kids who listen to rap music try to behave like a ''gangster.'' Even teenagers copy what they see on tv and I'm afraid they have no originality left within them. They look and act ridiculous.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.