/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How bad would it be considered in your religion?

cali dude
07-22-2009, 02:00 PM
The quote I am going to post is not from Islam but from an Eastern religion. I would like to find out how bad the quote would be considered in your religion, whether you religion is Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism or whatever.

Saakat is sometimes translated as a 'non-believer', some other times as a 'faithless cynical', and yet some other times as an 'infidel'.

Basically the quote says, "a Saakat is nameless, like the prostitute's son."

How bad would it be in your religion to compare a non-believer to a son of a prostitute and obviously comparing his innocent mother to a prostitute?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
07-22-2009, 06:26 PM
I don't think the answer has that much to do with religion per se, more with culture. No doubt in some it would be seen as terribly offensive, whereas in others it would just be laughed off

I'm not sure your interpretation of the quote (which is Sikh, yes?) is correct, anyway. The most important word isn't 'prostitute', but 'nameless', which you are pretty much ignoring altogether. I read it simply as meaning that the unbeliever, like the prostitute's son, doesn't know the name of their 'father', and nobody is being insulted as such?

Charzhino
07-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Why do you keep bringing this verse up? Sakaat means faithless cynic, it is comparing someone who mocks God to a prostitutes son in the context that the faithless cynic has no identity of himself.

cali dude
07-23-2009, 12:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Charzhino
Why do you keep bringing this verse up? Sakaat means faithless cynic, it is comparing someone who mocks God to a prostitutes son in the context that the faithless cynic has no identity of himself.
Actually I wanted to see opinion of people from other religions.

To me, it was pretty bad...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Clover
07-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Um, my beliefs don't really have non-believers, well it does, but I don't look down on them, just not on the same boat as I am.

barrio79
07-23-2009, 12:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cali dude

Basically the quote says, "a Saakat is nameless, like the prostitute's son."

How bad would it be in your religion to compare a non-believer to a son of a prostitute and obviously comparing his innocent mother to a prostitute?

This quote , from whence it came I am not sure , displays gross ignorance and gross intolerance and gross bad manners to all human kind , all women , all innocents sons , ( daughters don't seem to get a guernsey ) and any religious group or teacher who propagated such mischief would only be reflecting upon their own poor upbringing and pouring scorn upon themselves and not anywherelse.

It maybe it is not a correct quote so my disgust maybe wasted , but gee whiz what an intolerable thought to be having.

Charzhino
07-23-2009, 12:39 AM
Actually I wanted to see opinion of people from other religions.

To me, it was pretty bad...
Ok..what is so bad about it? I posted to a reply of yours about 4 months back and you asked the same question then.

cali dude
07-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Ok..what is so bad about it? I posted to a reply of yours about 4 months back and you asked the same question then.
What's bad about this is that it's comparing someone's innocent mother to a prostitute, even though it's an indirect comparison.

What's bad about this is that it gives Sikhs excuse to call other people names like Saakat, attacking their innocent mothers and Sikhs have done so. Even if one Sikh uses this kind of quote towards anyone, the guru is responsible for it...

My intent here is to find out and understand how it would be considered in other religions.

cali dude
07-23-2009, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
Um, my beliefs don't really have non-believers, well it does, but I don't look down on them, just not on the same boat as I am.
Well I agree with it. There is no non-believer. Believing in The Lord is believing in The Truth. Since The Lord is the Ultimate Truth and everybody in this world believes in some sort of Truth, there is no non-believer.

AntiKarateKid
07-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Well I agree with it. There is no non-believer. Believing in The Lord is believing in The Truth. Since The Lord is the Ultimate Truth, everybody in this world believes in some sort of Truth, there is no non-believer.
Says who? God or you?

cali dude
07-23-2009, 04:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
Says who? God or you?
Well Lord is The Creator of everything in this world. He has created everything physical and spiritual. He has created even the way we think. There is nothing outside His domain, even our thoughts...

AntiKarateKid
07-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Well Lord is The Creator of everything in this world. He has created everything physical and spiritual. He has created even the way we think. There is nothing outside His domain, even our thoughts...
You didn't answer my question. Who says "there is no such thing as a disbeliever"? You or God?

If you say God, then back up your claim with scripture. If you can't then you are only speaking from your desires.

cali dude
07-23-2009, 04:27 PM
You didn't answer my question. Who says "there is no such thing as a disbeliever"? You or God?

If you say God, then back up your claim with scripture. If you can't then you are only speaking from your desires.
Since The Lord has created my beliefs as well, it must be The Lord...

AntiKarateKid
07-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Since The Lord has created my beliefs as well, it must be The Lord...
Ah now I see where you're going with this. You attempt to harmonize your belief in God with your belief that there is "no wrong religion" or "no disbeliever".

You might want to reconsider your theory though because it implies:

1. You don't understand the gift of free will that Allah ahs given every human being. He has given us the ability to think but the freedom tot hink what we want (though I am talking about ability, obviously there are improper ways of thinking)

2. If you want to say that we have no free will then the question comes up. Why are we here then? Muslims believe we are here to be tested. But if there is no test then what are we doing here? Being puppets? Why are we not in heaven then?

3. If your beliefs are commanded by God, then Hitlers beliefs were commanded by God too. It wasn't Hitlers fault that so many were murdered. It was God's fault and you can't do a single thing about it since apparently God likes to make people suffer. It isn't a test, like Muslims, believe, since according to you we ahve no free will.

cali dude
07-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Well The Lord has created The Law when He created the the world.

There are positives and negatives but still all negatives and positives were created by The Creator - The Lord Himself. Every positive action has positive result and every negative action has negative result. There is nobody in this world who doesn't believe some sort of positive. Therefore, there is no non-believer.

By the way, heaven and hell are probably more like the condition of our soul... If our soul is terrible, then it's hell but if our soul in in peace, then it's heaven...

AntiKarateKid
07-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Well The Lord has created The Law when He created the the world.

There are positives and negatives but still all negatives and positives were created by The Creator - The Lord Himself. Every positive action has positive result and every negative action has negative result. There is nobody in this world who doesn't believe some sort of positive. Therefore, there is no non-believer.

By the way, heaven and hell are probably more like the condition of our soul... If our soul is terrible, then it's hell but if our soul in in peace, then it's heaven...
You do realize that you are making stuff up as you go? You have absolutely no proof that this is what God actually thinks.

Moreover, you failed to address even a single point of my last post.

Charzhino
07-23-2009, 05:04 PM
What's bad about this is that it's comparing someone's innocent mother to a prostitute, even though it's an indirect comparison.

What's bad about this is that it gives Sikhs excuse to call other people names like Saakat, attacking their innocent mothers and Sikhs have done so. Even if one Sikh uses this kind of quote towards anyone, the guru is responsible for it...

My intent here is to find out and understand how it would be considered in other religions.
I don't understand how you are linking a innocent mother to a prostitutes son?

cali dude
07-23-2009, 07:14 PM
I don't understand how you are linking a innocent mother to a prostitutes son?
Do you understand that when your guru compared a Saakat to a son of a prostitute, he is also comparing his mother to a prostitute, even though not directly?

cali dude
07-23-2009, 07:30 PM
You do realize that you are making stuff up as you go? You have absolutely no proof that this is what God actually thinks.

Moreover, you failed to address even a single point of my last post.
I posted a general response but if you want the response to be specific, here we go:

1. You don't understand the gift of free will that Allah ahs given every human being. He has given us the ability to think but the freedom tot hink what we want (though I am talking about ability, obviously there are improper ways of thinking) - There are positives and negatives in this world. Positives and negatives were all obviously created by The Creator. The positives actions are what lead us towards The Lord and negative actions are what drive us away from The Lord.

2. If you want to say that we have no free will then the question comes up. Why are we here then? Muslims believe we are here to be tested. But if there is no test then what are we doing here? Being puppets? Why are we not in heaven then? - Heaven and hell are simply conditions of our soul.

3. If your beliefs are commanded by God, then Hitlers beliefs were commanded by God too. It wasn't Hitlers fault that so many were murdered. It was God's fault and you can't do a single thing about it since apparently God likes to make people suffer. It isn't a test, like Muslims, believe, since according to you we ahve no free will.I am pretty sure even Hitler had some positive beliefs. Since everybody has some positive beliefs, nobody is a non-believer

Charzhino
07-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Do you understand that when your guru compared a Saakat to a son of a prostitute, he is also comparing his mother to a prostitute, even though not directly?
No he isn't youve just decided that without it even being mentioned. He is comparing the cynic to the prostitutes SON who is nameless, not the mother.

Clover
07-24-2009, 02:10 AM
Well I agree with it. There is no non-believer. Believing in The Lord is believing in The Truth. Since The Lord is the Ultimate Truth and everybody in this world believes in some sort of Truth, there is no non-believer.
Apparently you don't agree with it lol. I am not saying mine is right or wrong. Even though most religions teach there's is the right and others are wrong. I look at it like this. We have a short life on Earth, believe what you want, but if you force people to believe what you do, don't expect them to surrender. I would rather die then see any single religion have its own personal laws for all others, or even just for itself. I am glad my country doesn't allow any single religion to become the national religion, even if the country was 99% one religion, the other 1% still has its legal rights, even if they are oppressed for being the minority.

HinduIconoclast
07-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Apparently you don't agree with it lol. I am not saying mine is right or wrong. Even though most religions teach there's is the right and others are wrong. I
If you don't believe your own beliefs are the truth, why do you believe them?
Shouldn't your beliefs be the truth or at least whatever you believe to be the truth?

Clover
07-30-2009, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HinduIconoclast
If you don't believe your own beliefs are the truth, why do you believe them?
Shouldn't your beliefs be the truth or at least whatever you believe to be the truth?
I believe them cause I do. I believe my ancestors are real, and they exist and help me. I don't know if it's true, no one does, they can claim they do, but that's all they can do.

HinduIconoclast
07-30-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't know if it's true, no one does, they can claim they do, but that's all they can do.
You may not KNOW something is true, but do you not at least BELIEVE that you beliefs are the truth??

Clover
07-30-2009, 11:16 PM
You may not KNOW something is true, but do you not at least BELIEVE that you beliefs are the truth??
I believe they are real to me. I don't believe others might believe the same.

HinduIconoclast
07-30-2009, 11:21 PM
How can something be "real to you" or to a few people? Isn't reality the same whether you believe in it or not? Maybe I'm just nitpicking at your word usage and if so please tell me, but if not I'd like a response.

Clover
07-30-2009, 11:24 PM
How can something be "real to you" or to a few people? Isn't reality the same whether you believe in it or not? Maybe I'm just nitpicking at your word usage and if so please tell me, but if not I'd like a response.
Honestly, your annoying me. I told you my reason, and you repeat the question. I am going to ignore you in this topic, good day.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.