/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Swine flu fears prompt Hajj curbs

Uthman
07-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Arab health ministers have agreed to prevent vulnerable groups joining this year's Muslim Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca, because of fears over swine flu.

People aged over 65 and under 12, and those with chronic diseases, will be excluded from the event, a World Health Orgnization official said on Wednesday.

In June, Saudi Arabia asked elderly and sick Muslims not to visit this year.
At least two million people took part in the last Hajj, which falls this year in November.

The decision to keep the vulnerable groups away from the pilgrimage must still be ratified by the health ministers' governments, Ibrahim al-Kerdani of the WHO said.

Reduction expected

The decision was made at emergency talks in Cairo between health ministers from around the Muslim world and WHO officials.

Saudi Health Minister Abdullah al-Rabeeah said his country would not reduce the number of visas it granted to pilgrims, but that he expected pilgrim numbers to be reduced this year.

The WHO says there are 952 cases of the virus - known as H1N1 in its Eastern Mediterranean region, which stretches from Afghanistan to Morocco.

The only death so far in the region was announced by Egypt on Sunday, and was a woman who had returned from a pilgrimage trip to Saudi Arabia.

As well as the annual Hajj pilgrimage, which all Muslims are required to make at least once if they have the means, the faithful can also make a lesser pilgrimage to Mecca, known as umra, at any time of year.

As of 6 July, there were more than 130,000 cases of swine flu worldwide, with more than 700 deaths from the virus.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
07-23-2009, 09:39 PM
I'd be interested to hear people's views on this.

Certainly being amongst a large crowd, such as the one the Hajj creates, would increase the risk of spreading the virus greatly.
The US and the UK are two of the countries most affected by the virus at the moment, and from what I heard ten of thousands of Muslims from those countries are likely to take part in the Hajj.

Uthman
07-26-2009, 08:32 PM
:bump1:

Beardo
07-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Today one of my students was telling me that they were planning to delay Hajj or even cancel it this year for the Swine Flu. Don't ask how they can DELAY hajj, but apparently, that's what he said...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
07-26-2009, 09:02 PM
^^ They werent planning it..some eyptian scholar suggested it.

For Ramadhan itself millions will go...i think on the one hand its a good move as they are only taking precautions and there is no harm in taking precautions, but feel for those who may have saved up all their lives, finally been given the oppurtunity and cant :(
or those who have their entire families going but they are one year too young..

chacha_jalebi
07-26-2009, 09:52 PM
you know swine flu yeh, why do people wear them masks? aint they still gona be breathin in air? so they will still get it? aint it? muhahaaa there is no escape:skeleton::exhausted!

personally i think swine flu has been hyped quite a lot, its like any other flu, if you get it, get the vaccination, minor wag1 innit sorted:shade:

i hope it dont affect the hajj or anythin, and im sure that land is protected by Allah (Swt) anyway :D

The_Prince
07-27-2009, 03:19 AM
i had the flu for the past week. not swine flu (you never know), big deal, we all get sick. dont take the vaccine.

north_malaysian
07-27-2009, 03:30 AM
insha Allah.. my parents would make the hajj this year... they're below 60 y/o...

Beardo
07-27-2009, 04:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
i had the flu for the past week. not swine flu (you never know), big deal, we all get sick. dont take the vaccine.
Same. I also had a bad flu though. So did 5 of my classmates and the professor. Must be the weather or something. I hope inshallah.... :|

BlissfullyJaded
07-27-2009, 04:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
Point? It's not like the Hujjaj are immune to the flu anyway. Most do sick. Swine flu is different tho. People dying of regular illnesses or natural causes during Hajj won't make headlines, but from swine flu it will. :-\

What I don't understand is, there's some annoyance at the Saudis over this. Yet, if they don't take precautions, and something were to go wrong, they'll be attacked for "letting" it happen. Something may happen anyway (inshaAllah not), but their taking a precaution isn't all that bad... :><:

For Ramadhan itself millions will go...i think on the one hand its a good move as they are only taking precautions and there is no harm in taking precautions, but feel for those who may have saved up all their lives, finally been given the oppurtunity and cant :(
or those who have their entire families going but they are one year too young..
Yea... I was thinkin the same...! May Allah open the doors for those who've been rejected to go sometime later. :(

ardianto
07-27-2009, 04:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
Arab health ministers have agreed to prevent vulnerable groups joining this year's Muslim Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca, because of fears over swine flu.

People aged over 65 and under 12, and those with chronic diseases, will be excluded from the event, a World Health Orgnization official said on Wednesday.
207,000 Indonesian Muslims are ready to go hajj.

Under 12)
No problem for Indonesian. If you are Indonesian, at least you must 18 yrs old if you want to go hajj.

Over 65)
This is a problem for Indonesian. There are many over 65 yrs old Indonesian Muslims who have ready to go on this year . No wonder if I hear many complains from them. Even Indonesian foreign ministry has sent a complain letter to Saudi's govt.

sur
07-27-2009, 05:06 PM
There NO bird flu & swine flu as shown in media. While bird flu entered Pakistan & chicked prices went down to earth , I stood near chickes cages many times & I ate more chicken than ever. Alhamdulillah stayed fine.

This is hype created by trillion dollar industry called Pharmaceutical Industry.

Coz they make money out of it - BIG money:-
e.g. Swine flu vaccine by GSK:-

2.1 Billion pounds in just three months

north_malaysian
07-27-2009, 11:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
207,000 Indonesian Muslims are ready to go hajj.

Under 12)
No problem for Indonesian. If you are Indonesian, at least you must 18 yrs old if you want to go hajj.

Over 65)
This is a problem for Indonesian. There are many over 65 yrs old Indonesian Muslims who have ready to go on this year . No wonder if I hear many complains from them. Even Indonesian foreign ministry has sent a complain letter to Saudi's govt.
Malaysia - about 20,000+ pilgrims, and no age limit..

ardianto
07-28-2009, 05:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Malaysia - about 20,000+ pilgrims, and no age limit..
Quota for Indonesian pilgrims is one pilgrim for every one thousand Muslims.
If Indonesian govt allows Muslim under 18 go hajj, Total number of Indonesian pilgrims must be over than quota.

But I hear, some Indonesian went hajj used quota for Singaporean, or even quota for Malaysian. In the past, it called Haji Paspor Hijau (Green Passport Hajj). Until 2008 there were two passports for Indonesian. First, Green passport or regular passport. Second, Brown passport that special for go hajj and not valid for use to go to others countries and out of hajj season.

Few years ago, Indonesian govt made a protest to Saudi govt because they let some Indonesian entered Saudi for go hajj with Green Passport. But Saudi govt replied "We can't refuse guests of Allah".

In 2009, Indonesian pilgrims use Green Passport according to new rule.

north_malaysian
07-29-2009, 08:22 AM
Quota for Indonesian pilgrims is one pilgrim for every one thousand Muslims.
If Indonesian govt allows Muslim under 18 go hajj, Total number of Indonesian pilgrims must be over than quota.

But I hear, some Indonesian went hajj used quota for Singaporean, or even quota for Malaysian. In the past, it called Haji Paspor Hijau (Green Passport Hajj). Until 2008 there were two passports for Indonesian. First, Green passport or regular passport. Second, Brown passport that special for go hajj and not valid for use to go to others countries and out of hajj season.

Few years ago, Indonesian govt made a protest to Saudi govt because they let some Indonesian entered Saudi for go hajj with Green Passport. But Saudi govt replied "We can't refuse guests of Allah".

In 2009, Indonesian pilgrims use Green Passport according to new rule.
The Prime Minister annouced yesterday that they would not impose the over 65y/o and under 12 y/o ban for the time being...

Indonesians using Malaysian quota? whoa... there are hundreds of thousands of Malaysians are waiting to be listed.. if you register for hajj today... you could only perform the hajj in 2026.

During King Fahd's time... Malaysian pilgrims are given balance quotas from Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines etc. But under the current King Abdullah it was abrogated... our ministers appeal to the king annually for more quotas as there are too many Malaysians who are able to do hajj but cant do so and have to wait for more than 10 years... but it's not given until today.

We also have two types of passport, the red one (international passport) and the green one (hajj passport)... but my parents were asked to make red passport... maybe they dont want to use hajj passport anymore..

ardianto
07-29-2009, 03:57 PM
The Prime Minister annouced yesterday that they would not impose the over 65y/o and under 12 y/o ban for the time being...
Secretary general from Indonesian ministry of religion, Bahrul Hayat says, age limit (under 12 - over 65) is just a suggestion, not ban. However, no clarification from Saudi's govt.

Indonesians using Malaysian quota? whoa... there are hundreds of thousands of Malaysians are waiting to be listed.. if you register for hajj today... you could only perform the hajj in 2026.

During King Fahd's time... Malaysian pilgrims are given balance quotas from Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines etc. But under the current King Abdullah it was abrogated... our ministers appeal to the king annually for more quotas as there are too many Malaysians who are able to do hajj but cant do so and have to wait for more than 10 years... but it's not given until today.
Honestly, Indonesians using other countries quotas is just a rumor. But I know someone who went hajj used regular passport, and his departure point was Singapore.

We also have two types of passport, the red one (international passport) and the green one (hajj passport)... but my parents were asked to make red passport... maybe they dont want to use hajj passport anymore..
Started from 2009/1430H Indonesian pilgrims use regular passport (in Indonesia, this is green), valid for five years. The Brown Passport that used last years valid only for one year, that's means only for one hajj season.

Brother, may I know how cost of go hajj in Malaysia ?. I hear that is cheaper than Indonesia.
In Indonesia cost for go hajj this year are US$ 3,243 - US$ 3,575, depend on embarcation / departure airport. And those are 'Standart Class'. Indonesians can choose 'Deluxe Class' (in Indonesia it named ONH Plus). According to the rule, in this year 'Deluxe Class' is not allowed to lower than US$ 6,000.
But cost for umrah is cheaper, usually US$ 1,400 - US$ 1,900 in non ramadhan, or US$ 1,900 - US$ 2,500 in Ramadhan.

north_malaysian
07-30-2009, 01:04 AM
Secretary general from Indonesian ministry of religion, Bahrul Hayat says, age limit (under 12 - over 65) is just a suggestion, not ban. However, no clarification from Saudi's govt.
The government decided yesterday that all pilgrims must take anti-flu injection before going to Mecca.

Honestly, Indonesians using other countries quotas is just a rumor. But I know someone who went hajj used regular passport, and his departure point was Singapore.
I think that it's not because of the quotas... but not enough air flights... sometimes our pilgrims go to Mecca from Bangkok.

Brother, may I know how cost of go hajj in Malaysia ?. I hear that is cheaper than Indonesia.
In Indonesia cost for go hajj this year are US$ 3,243 - US$ 3,575, depend on embarcation / departure airport. And those are 'Standart Class'. Indonesians can choose 'Deluxe Class' (in Indonesia it named ONH Plus). According to the rule, in this year 'Deluxe Class' is not allowed to lower than US$ 6,000.
In Malaysia, normally people will go thru Muassasah.. so this year it's like RM 9,800.00+ (USD 2,782.90+)... but there are packages offered too from
RM 16,000.00+ (USD 4,543.51) to RM 100,000.00+ (USD 28,396.92)...

ardianto
07-30-2009, 04:15 AM
The government decided yesterday that all pilgrims must take anti-flu injection before going to Mecca.
I didn't heard anything about anti-flu injection, but every Indonesian pilgrims must take anti-meningitis injection (or meningitis injention ?).

I think that it's not because of the quotas... but not enough air flights... sometimes our pilgrims go to Mecca from Bangkok.
Not because not enough air flight, but because go hajj from other countries is cheaper. 'Official' Indonesian pligrims never use scheduled air flight. Govt always hire air planes from Garuda or from other countries airways. Flight cost becomes higher because the plane fly to Saudi with full seats and back to Indonesia with empty seats, then fly again. After hajj season has over, the plane fly to Saudi with empty seats and back with full seats.

In Malaysia, normally people will go thru Muassasah.. so this year it's like RM 9,800.00+ (USD 2,782.90+)... but there are packages offered too from
RM 16,000.00+ (USD 4,543.51) to RM 100,000.00+ (USD 28,396.92)...
More than USD 28,000 ?. Wooow ! that is not Deluxe but 'Presidential Class' !.

north_malaysian
07-30-2009, 07:49 AM
I didn't heard anything about anti-flu injection, but every Indonesian pilgrims must take anti-meningitis injection (or meningitis injention ?).
Malaysians too... now have to take another one extra

More than USD 28,000 ?. Wooow ! that is not Deluxe but 'Presidential Class' !.
From what I've heard, the room is the closest to the Haraam, they have their own camp (for themselves) in arafah, have bodyguards, and there is a rumour saying that these people would be brought into the Jamraat by cars and throw the stones from the cars windows.. they dont have to mix with other pilgrims... I cant verify these... as these are rumours.... usually the people who used this package are the sultans, royalties, ministers and superfamous artists (like Siti Nurhaliza and Aznil Nawawi)..

ardianto
07-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Indonesian minister of religion, Maftuh Basyuni say "If the age limit is 65, that's means, I am, minister of religion, not allowed to go there (Saudi). Whereas I am 70".

Every year, Indonesian pilgrims always lead by minister of religion.

And, Indonesian ministry of religion decide, Indonesian pilgrims with aged over 65 will go to Saudi, although Saudi's govt say, pilgrim who over 65 y/o will be excluded from the event.

north_malaysian
07-31-2009, 02:33 AM
Every year, Indonesian pilgrims always lead by minister of religion.
Malaysia too, I think all Muslim nations send a minister to lead the hajj delegates...

Uthman
08-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Iran bans Mecca visits over flu

Iran has banned all pilgrimages to Saudi Arabia during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan in an attempt to contain the spread of swine flu.

Health officials said no Iranians would remain in Saudi Arabia after 22 August.

Mecca is a popular destination for Muslims undergoing the spiritual experience of fasting during Ramadan.

Arab health ministers have already agreed to prevent vulnerable groups of people from joining the larger Hajj pilgrimage, taking place in November.

"We will have no pilgrims in Saudi Arabia during the month of Ramadan," Health Minister Mohammad Bagher Lankarani was quoted as saying by the Isna news agency.

He said the high numbers of people travelling to the holy places during the holy month, beginning on about 22 August, increased the risk of the virus spreading and being brought back to Iran.

Iranian state media said health officials were also setting up a system of checks for pilgrims returning from Saudi Arabia.

In July, Arab health ministers said people aged over 65 and under 12, and those with chronic diseases, would be excluded from the main Hajj pilgrimage this year.

Saudi Arabia has itself also asked elderly and sick Muslims not to participate.

The World Health Organization says Iran has so far reported 144 cases of swine flu but no fatalities. Iran says 50% of cases were in people who had recently returned from Saudi Arabian pilgrimages.

Source

sur
08-15-2009, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
There NO bird flu & swine flu as shown in media. While bird flu entered Pakistan & chicked prices went down to earth , I stood near chickes cages many times & I ate more chicken than ever. Alhamdulillah stayed fine.

This is hype created by trillion dollar industry called Pharmaceutical Industry.

Coz they make money out of it - BIG money:-
e.g. Swine flu vaccine by GSK:-

2.1 Billion pounds in just three months
Media Tags are no longer supported

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.