/* */

PDA

View Full Version : scantron?? :|

KiWi
07-24-2009, 07:02 PM
:sl:

i was taking a test the earlier today and in the middle of the test, i remembered an incident that had happened to me years before.

i was remembering the first time i had to take a test with a scantron....
the teacher passed out the test and the scantron. i didnt know what the heck it was for at that time, so i just did test and circled my answers on the test (didnt read the direction of course). i looked over at the next person's paper to see what she did with her scantron and saw her scantron filled. so i thought the scantron was just given "for fun" to do after finishing the test. so what i did was i filled in the bubbles and shaped it like a flower. when it was time to turn in the test, i saw the others turinging in the scantron, so i did the same. the next day the teacher stood infront of class and said "what's the meaning of this?" said my name and waved the scantron in the air so EVERYONE can see it. everyone started laughing. boy was i embarassed!!!....:hiding:
later the teacher told what the scantron was for. i never made the same mistake again!!

soo, any of you have had an emberesing moment with first time using a scantron?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Nope I didnt. Been using them for a lonngg time.

Thats odd, the fact that he didnt explain to you. Usually teachers go over what to do with it before a test. So that's his fault lol. Also he embarassed you in front of the class, thats wrong as well. I'd have gone on his case about it.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Yea probably. It's kinda annoying tho.

egyptballer
07-24-2009, 07:12 PM

This reminds me of a post from the diaries of a hafiz blog:

http://diariesofahafiz.com/home/?p=146

When I was going back to my freshman year in high school, I never took those electronic tests, which are graded by a machine. The first month I went into high school, I received a test with two papers. One paper was with the questions, and the other was with where you fill in your answers. The latter paper was called a “scantron”. Not sure if any of you ever heard of it. I was 14 at the time, and I’ve never seen anything like this before. You are supposed to fill in the circle, but being me, I circled the circle.

Later after the paper was supposed to be graded, my teacher told the class of what I did. >_> Talk about embarassing. The student next to me told me I was blushing deeply. Well, DUH! Why wouldn’t I be? It should have been OBVIOUS to me that you fill it in. The teacher, sincere as she was, took the time to grade it separately, though.

Though, after that, I never laughed at anyone again for their “fobbish” actions. Lesson learned.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
07-24-2009, 07:13 PM
LOL! I posted an article about that on my blog the other day as welll, DiariesofaHafiz.com. Type in "scantron" in the search bar and you should find it inshallah.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I dont understand why the teacher has to embarass you. It's like they get a kick out of it. I'd never let it go.

Tony
07-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Never heard of scantron, most teachers I ever had with the exception of my English teacher, Mr Watkins, may Allah bring him to Islam Ameen, were socially inept bullies, for the fact that when at a loss you designed a flower I would have given you an A plus, outstanding:D

KiWi
07-24-2009, 09:28 PM
@Light of Heaven: :( the teacher never explained to us how to use the so called scantron
she just assumed that everyone knows how to. after she embarrassed me, i put my head down n cried silently. my first time EVER being embarrassed :cry:

@Alpha Dude: yes, a scantron is "electronically marked multiple choice exam thing"

@eHafiz: lol, ur story was funny ;D

@Tony: i know rite? i at least drew her a flower <_<
but thx for the A!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-24-2009, 10:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KiWi
@Light of Heaven: :( the teacher never explained to us how to use the so called scantron
she just assumed that everyone knows how to. after she embarrassed me, i put my head down n cried silently. my first time EVER being embarrassed :cry:
Grr :raging:. If I saw you crying or saw u put your head down I'd have gone up to her face:skeleton:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
07-24-2009, 10:48 PM
I hate it when the answers line up on it..it's gets to your head <_<

crayon
07-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Ahh what a mean teacher! Poor Kiwi! :(

I've always loved doing scantrons for some reason lol, they made me feel grown up. I did one to assess my abilities or something when I was little, and then all the SAT's were scantrons. They were fun!

Brasco
07-24-2009, 10:57 PM
could someone tell me what a "scantron" is, insha'allah? I googled, but I did not find anything :S

Cabdullahi
07-24-2009, 10:58 PM
what the heck is scantron!!!

Ibn Abi Ahmed
07-24-2009, 11:01 PM
This:

Brasco
07-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Hm, but what's that? :S kinda exam? I've never seen such thing :S

crayon
07-24-2009, 11:13 PM
There's another booklet of papers that has the exam questions on it, and a choice of answers A,B,C,D,E. Say the answer to question 1 is C. You fill in the circle C on the scantron sheet. When you're done, they scantron sheet is collected, and marked by a computer.

Beardo
07-24-2009, 11:14 PM
lol the test questions are separate. You circle bubble the multiple choice answer on that sheet.

Brasco
07-24-2009, 11:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
There's another booklet of papers that has the exam questions on it, and a choice of answers A,B,C,D,E. Say the answer to question 1 is C. You fill in the circle C on the scantron sheet. When you're done, they scantron sheet is collected, and marked by a computer.

What's the chance of misinterpreting by the machine? For example, if the circle of C is not filled rightly?

Beardo
07-24-2009, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brasco
What's the chance of misinterpreting by the machine? For example, if the circle of C is not filled rightly?
They tell you do it dark etc. The teacher usually goes through it again with the class as a whole.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-24-2009, 11:29 PM
It does happen actually even if its darkened in properly. So usually when the professor goes over the exam or if the answers r on the side of the scantron, you can just tell the professor. It's happened to me a lot.

crayon
07-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Yup, like eHafiz said, they're constantly reminding you to darken the circles and make sure you circled the correct answer.

Also, some tests have the option of manual rescoring, if you think the computer got it totally wrong, you can ask for it to be rescored by a person.

Woodrow
07-24-2009, 11:54 PM
I now have greater respect for the youth of today that are students.

Looks like you almost need to have a PhD in in educational sciences just to understand how to take a test.

KiWi
07-25-2009, 02:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maalik
I hate it when the answers line up on it..it's gets to your head <_<
yeah, i know exactly wat u mean
the sad part is i ALWAYS think im wrong somehow
one time we had a test n all of the answers were D..
when i looked at my scantron n saw the answers all lined up...
i was confuse...i thought i was wrong so i changed half of it..:X

lol @ woodrow

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2009, 03:50 AM
Omg I hate when that happens...you get confused!

Brasco
07-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Yup, like eHafiz said, they're constantly reminding you to darken the circles and make sure you circled the correct answer.

Also, some tests have the option of manual rescoring, if you think the computer got it totally wrong, you can ask for it to be rescored by a person.
That's the first time I ever saw a scantron. In germany we just write the answers on another sheet or at the same sheet :D

'Abd al-Baari
07-25-2009, 11:12 AM

^Actually some GCSE Examinations are now taken in the same way as the 'scantron'. :X

Brasco
07-25-2009, 11:17 AM
But that's **** easy! :S To me it is not a good way of examining! Then, do you guys ever study? :D

Nájlá
07-25-2009, 11:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd al-Baari

^Actually some GCSE Examinations are now taken in the same way as the 'scantron'. :X
And when i started high school we had some examinations taken in the same was as scantron. So they are in the UK now...

Kiwi that was funny but the teacher was so mean. I remember something similar happened to me was like 5 yrs ago. And the teacher had to sit next to me in the exam hall, was soo embarrassing, everyone kept lookin at me :-[

Re.TiReD
07-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Oooh its like a multiple choice thingy, I'm sure GSCE mathematics was a 'scantron' type one. You know whats so kool about it? If I'm stuck and dont know what to mark, I just see if there's a pattern and if there is I go with it :statisfie like imagine I circled A, B, B, C, D, A, B, B .. If I was stuck I'd just do C again. So simple.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2009, 02:15 PM
For those of you who think just because there are scantrons, we don't do anything by hand, it's a wrong assumption. It's not a guess it game. We still have to do calculations, write essays, show work etc just like the rest of the people in this world. The only thing with the scantron is when it's a multiple choice test, we're just filling in answers....you still have to do the work to get the answer. Not every class involves a scantron.

But that's **** easy! :S To me it is not a good way of examining! Then, do you guys ever study? :D
^^ Thats a bit silly to think, if we study or not? Every test requires revision, scantron or not. I can't go into taking my Chemistry/Biology exam without studying can I? Regardless of if I have a scantron or not? Some teachers make multiple choice questions harder than your average test. At least in writing out the answer or doing the work for the professor to see, you can get partial credit. In a multiple choice exam, either you get it right or wrong, not in between. Infact it's not that easy peasy.

aadil77
07-25-2009, 02:25 PM
I hate those machine marked papers, you spend half the time tryin to make sure you coloured in the right box

KiWi
07-25-2009, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
For those of you who think just because there are scantrons, we don't do anything by hand, it's a wrong assumption. It's not a guess it game. We still have to do calculations, write essays, show work etc just like the rest of the people in this world. The only thing with the scantron is when it's a multiple choice test, we're just filling in answers....you still have to do the work to get the answer. Not every class involves a scantron.

^^ Thats a bit silly to think, if we study or not? Every test requires revision, scantron or not. I can't go into taking my Chemistry/Biology exam without studying can I? Regardless of if I have a scantron or not? Some teachers make multiple choice questions harder than your average test. At least in writing out the answer or doing the work for the professor to see, you can get partial credit. In a multiple choice exam, either you get it right or wrong, not in between. Infact it's not that easy peasy.

yeah, i have to agree with u on this one Light of Heaven. unfortunately most of the peeps in uk think that tests in america r so easy that studying isnt required. yeah, we do have multiple choice questions...but they're one of the hardest.
i prefer essay b/c at least u could get partial credit on it. with multiple choice, is either rite or wrong. we never get partial credit....so uk/european peeps, at least u're in at advantage. <_<

KiWi
07-25-2009, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
I hate those machine marked papers, you spend half the time tryin to make sure you coloured in the right box
yeah, true
b4 i turn in my test, i look at all the numbers to make sure they're filled n filled properly. it gets a bit annoying :exhausted

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2009, 08:37 PM
yeah, i have to agree with u on this one Light of Heaven. unfortunately most of the peeps in uk think that tests in america r so easy that studying isnt required. yeah, we do have multiple choice questions...but they're one of the hardest.
i prefer essay b/c at least u could get partial credit on it. with multiple choice, is either rite or wrong. we never get partial credit....so uk/european peeps, at least u're in at advantage. <_<
Yea sis lol.

Silly UKers :mmokay:

AabiruSabeel
07-25-2009, 08:42 PM
^What if you get a -0.25 (minus 0.25) for a wrong answer? Guessed answers can lower your score than what you actually deserve.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2009, 08:43 PM
And what are the chances of that? You have more chances of getting some points when you write it out, as compared to just picking random answers. What my Chemistry professor used to do was make all the choices close to each other in numbers or definition, which would actually confuse you more. What I thought was the answer was actually wrong. When he would go over it, my work would be correct but I would miscalculate the answer. So I would not get any points whatsoever. When you write them out, you have a chance for some points, even if the answer was wrong.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2009, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
^What if you get a -0.25 (minus 0.25) for a wrong answer? Guessed answers can lower your score than what you actually deserve.
Yes it definitely can.

crayon
07-25-2009, 08:46 PM
What Light of Heaven said.

Oh, and to add; with some scantron tests (the SAT's for example), you get marks deducted if you choose the incorrect answer. So you can't just go 'eeny meeny miny mo' and pick one; if you're not sure, don't answer.

Also, sometimes the answers are extremely trick. For example, say you have to know what the answer to 4*2 is. They'll have 8 as a choice, but they'll also have 6, because they know someone will add instead of subtract. That's overly simplistic of course, but when it comes to more complicated questions, 'tis deadly.

edit- Ohh I hadn't refreshed this page for ages, and posted what you guys just discussed. Meh.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Lol even? :S

When it came time for our comprehensive final...he gave us the choice of show all work or all multiple choice. I of course took show all work because I knew at least I'd get points <_<

Sizzlerjimer
07-25-2009, 08:51 PM
asalam u alikum wa rehamtulahi wa berkathu

what is scantron?

koi menu dasay punjabi vich lol

Jazak ALLAH

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Read the thread from the beginning...fer shayad tenu samajh aave...:hmm:

Sizzlerjimer
07-25-2009, 08:56 PM
paa jee meray kol itna time nahin hega waisay wee tusee kaday wastay hoo??:confused:

KiWi
07-25-2009, 09:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I wasn't aware that they deducted marks for incorrect answers. I don't think they do that here in the UK, at least not for the tests I've done.

Ah cool. That makes it about even then.
even eh?
not quite yet
u guys dont get points deducted for choosing the wrong answer

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2009, 09:01 PM
This:

^^ That's an example of a scantron. Not all look the same though.

Some tests have questions with choices like ABC or D or a true and false question. We have to fill them in with the correct answer...and a machine marks the exam.

Sizzlerjimer
07-25-2009, 09:03 PM
i am like looking at the screen like WAH u know like WAH IS THAT what are you guys talking about????:hmm:

GuestFellow
07-25-2009, 09:04 PM
This:

I love this test. I don't know why O.o

crayon
07-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Lol.. Has this turned into some sort of competition to find out who's exams are harder?

-

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Seems like it sis :p lol.

Yes they are ridiculouss.

Sizzlerjimer
07-25-2009, 09:08 PM

i get it now they are exams aha

but i guarantee you that nothing and i mean nothing is as hard as GCSE and A level exams in pakistan your exams are like a joke really no offence.

GuestFellow
Lol.. Has this turned into some sort of competition to find out who's exams are harder?

As a whole concept, standardized examinations are quite ridiculous. But c'est la vie, I guess.
I agree. I had an AS Law exam and you only had 1 hour and 30 minutes to finish the paper. My hands aching and my right hand fell asleep in the middle of the exam. >_____<

I hate the time limit.

Sizzlerjimer
format_quote Originally Posted by OxygenHacker

but i guarantee you that nothing and i mean nothing is as hard as GCSE and A level exams in pakistan your exams are like a joke really no offence.
thanks for ur help sister LOH.

Snowflake
07-25-2009, 09:11 PM

i was taking a test the earlier today and in the middle of the test, i remembered an incident that had happened to me years before.

i was remembering the first time i had to take a test with a scantron....
the teacher passed out the test and the scantron. i didnt know what the heck it was for at that time, so i just did test and circled my answers on the test (didnt read the direction of course). i looked over at the next person's paper to see what she did with her scantron and saw her scantron filled. so i thought the scantron was just given "for fun" to do after finishing the test. so what i did was i filled in the bubbles and shaped it like a flower. when it was time to turn in the test, i saw the others turinging in the scantron, so i did the same. the next day the teacher stood infront of class and said "what's the meaning of this?" said my name and waved the scantron in the air so EVERYONE can see it. everyone started laughing. boy was i embarassed!!!....:hiding:
later the teacher told what the scantron was for. i never made the same mistake again!!

soo, any of you have had an emberesing moment with first time using a scantron?

ahahaha!!!! that's the cutest thing I've heard for a long time. JazakAllahu khayr for sharing sweets. :p:statisfie

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Ah, but you guys probably get given ridiculously easy questions. Even Steven. :statisfie:statisfie:statisfie
No lol. We don't get the easiest questions. I wish I could show u a copy but we don't get to keep it :S I mean my Chem exam. But I guess it depends, do you know it or not lol.

aadil77
07-25-2009, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by OxygenHacker

yh thats right man, I had a look at some your maths 'O-level' papers and they're like our A-levels, probably harder

KiWi
07-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Ah, but you guys probably get given ridiculously easy questions. Even Steven. :statisfie:statisfie:statisfie
easy? eeeaasy?!!!
*sigh*:exhausted i wish u could see the kids of questions we get on exams
the take home r the hardest!!!! i hate take home

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Yes I can believe those exams are harder bro Oxygen.

KiWi
07-25-2009, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
ahahaha!!!! that's the cutest thing I've heard for a long time. JazakAllahu khayr for sharing sweets. :p:statisfie
it might have seemed cute
but i hated that teacher ever since then
even though i was one of her best student <_<

ameen wa iyyaki :D

KiWi
07-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Of course they're hard, KiWi.

By your standards. :hmm:
:eek:
i take the 5th <_<

'Abd al-Baari
07-25-2009, 09:33 PM
This thread is becoming a little idle, to prevent further inter-mingling thread closed.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!