/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Vote:Should Seattle add Muslim holidays in school calender

TrueStranger
07-25-2009, 01:18 AM
:sl:

Brothers and sister, one of the T.V channels in Seattle is running a poll on whether or not Muslim holidays such as Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha should be add on school calenders. Your vote will be much help to the Muslims living in Seattle. :p So please vote, each one of you. So far 60% said no, while only 37% said Yes. So again please do vote and spread the link to other Muslims.

http://www.kirotv.com/surveyresults/...tion=education

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2009, 01:22 AM

I voted :D

No is 60% O.o

Still da same even after I voted lol.

TrueStranger
07-25-2009, 01:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven

I voted :D

No is 60% O.o

Still da same even after I voted lol.
Thanks. I think we need a little more boost. I see no reason why our young siblings have to go to school at Eid, while Christians and Jews are given two week vacation to get ready for their holidays. :hiding:

Thanks again.......

Woodrow
07-25-2009, 02:20 AM
I am mixed over this. I believe in equal treatment. The question is what is the best way. Perhaps by not having any specific religious holidays for any one but all children be given say 5 days per year for religious needs, taken as needed. Similar to the way sick leave works for most adult workers.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
transition?
07-25-2009, 02:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by TrueStranger
Thanks. I think we need a little more boost. I see no reason why our young siblings have to go to school at Eid, while Christians and Jews are given two week vacation to get ready for their holidays. :hiding:

Thanks again.......

The kids have to go? Does it take away from their attendance?
In our county in Georgia, the county lets us take religious holidays off as excused absences.

Woodrow
07-25-2009, 02:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?

The kids have to go? Does it take away from their attendance?
In our county in Georgia, the county lets us take religious holidays off as excused absences.
That is pretty much like what they do in Texas. There are holidays for all children, such as spring break etc. But, all children can take off for religious observations as an excused absence.

transition?
07-25-2009, 02:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
That is pretty much like what they do in Texas. There are holidays for all children, such as spring break etc. But, all children can take off for religious observations as an excused absence.

But they have these new attendance policies possibly from the No Child Left Behind Act (I think). You can't more than 10 absences or else you stay back a year, if I remember correctly, excused absences are part of it. What if you wanted to take a whole week for Eid and spend time with your family? I guess that's where the real issue might stand. But technically, all the breaks have been secularized, since we now call them breaks and nonspecific "holidays" and not Christmas/Easter holidays. I'm not sure if the more than 10 absences is a national policy.

transition?
07-25-2009, 02:48 AM
It is now 59% no =D. yay.

north_malaysian
07-25-2009, 03:03 AM
I live in a Muslim country which the Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists, Confucians and even Animists have their public holidays...

Woodrow
07-25-2009, 03:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?

But they have these new attendance policies possibly from the No Child Left Behind Act (I think). You can't more than 10 absences or else you stay back a year, if I remember correctly, excused absences are part of it. What if you wanted to take a whole week for Eid and spend time with your family? I guess that's where the real issue might stand. But technically, all the breaks have been secularized, since we now call them breaks and nonspecific "holidays" and not Christmas/Easter holidays. I'm not sure if the more than 10 absences is a national policy.
Most of the educational policies seem to be localized. I am only familiar with Texas at the moment. Texas each city has ISD independent School Districts. There is variation from ISD to ISD even when they are in the same cities. Some of the ISD there now have year round schooling with no summer vacation. The number of permitted excused absences seems to vary by the length of the school year in the district. I believe that for accreditation the schools have to have a mandatory attendance of 180 days for each school year. But the length of the school year can vary so if the school has a 200 day school year, a child could have 20 excused absences and still be in compliance, while a school with a 180 day school year would have no room for excused absences.

Where I now live many children are home schooled. The requirement is they have to be schooled 180 days per year. The parents pick the days.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Well I believe when I was in high school it was like 30...which was good actually. But towards my senior year they lessened it to 10. In uni u have 3 max for each class or less depending on how many times a week u have the class or whether the professor actually cares..

Clover
07-25-2009, 04:50 AM
I would vote No. We celebrate so much here in Tennessee, I mean, we get out for some days then get out for nothing else. It really ruins the idea of summer being our break. The only date I really care about "celebrating" at all is Christmas, and that's cause I feel great during that no matter what happens.

BlissfullyJaded
07-26-2009, 05:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by TrueStranger

Thanks again.......
Jews? Must differ in other states I guess, cuz I know here Jews don't get vacations during their holidays.

With all due technicalities, winter vacation is not a holiday for the Christians. It so happens that Christmas is during that time, but so is Kwanzaa and New Years Day. Same with Spring Break...

In California we also get excused absences for religious holidays. If you miss a couple days in the year, it's no big deal. Although, I do still go to school on Eid, cuz that's just the way I am...

jerryleeevans
07-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Ever see how many holidays the Hawaiin Public School system has? Those kids get days off besides the weekend every month. Same with the Japanese school system as well.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.