/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Consumerism- change the world one purchase at a time.

Detritavore
07-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Bismillahi Al-rahman Al-rahim

:sl:

Firstly, pardon the cheesy thread title (I couldn't help myself).

Secondly, I'll try (read: try) to keep this short and to the point and would love to start of with a hadith-

On the authority of Abu Saeed Al-Khurdari (RAA):
"I heard of the messenger (PBUH) of Allah (SWT)- "Whosoever of you sees an evil action, let him change it with his hand; and if he is unable to do so, then with his tongue; and if he is unable to do so, then with his heart; and that is the weakest of faith".
Muslim.

Insh'Allah, I hope we can (and hopefully are) all strive to rid our world of evil. It's easy, however, to be over come by a feeling of helplessness and uselessness, especially when considering global issues. But, believe it or not, we can make a big difference and actively change even the most daunting problems (with our hands) by simply becoming ethical consumers.

There are a lot of companies that, in my opinion, are inherently evil and in public opinion are unethical. These companies disregard human rights, exploit young children, jeopardize the environment and abuse animals.

These companies are both global and local. Some of the more notorious bad guys are as follows (click company names for sources and more info)-

The Coca Cola Company
Nestle(is the mother company to Nescafe, L'Oreal, Milo)
Unilever (Impulse, Lynx, Sunslike)

Ok, so I'm not saying lets all go tip our Nescafe down the sink. And there are a lot more unethical companies out there. Just be aware and take the opportunity to buy wisely and ethically when you can. There are many things we can do: buy organic, free-range, local and homegrown/owned, fair-trade. Even cutting back is a start or choosing the lesser of two evils.

For example, at my house there are a few too many coffee fanatics and so we buy Fair Trade coffee. Another thing we do is buy free range eggs. It's about making small, practical changes.

So, inshAllah in this thread lets list companies to be aware of and other ways we can change the world one purchase at a time (:statisfie).

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.