/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you smoke?

Blackpool
07-26-2009, 08:51 AM
1. Do you smoke?
2. Is it not haram?

In a way, it's a form of suicide. The drug is proven to increase your risk of death vastly. It damages your insides. You end up smelling. In my opinion it's just as bad as any other drug and should be banned. But then again, I'm just a non-smoker.! :hiding:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
07-26-2009, 08:57 AM
1) if they do smoke they shouldn't say 'cause revealing your ins is haram

2) It is Makruh (disliked) it was non-existant at the time of the prophet to be made haraam,

Agreed it should be banned!

S_87
07-26-2009, 10:14 AM
non smoker

follow opinion it is Haram

ژاله
07-26-2009, 10:24 AM
i dont smoke.
i dont know if its haram,but not a good thing definitely.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
07-26-2009, 01:10 PM
1) No I don't smoke. Yuck.

2) I thought it was Haram. O.o

Ar-RaYYan
07-26-2009, 01:39 PM
1) no i dont
2) it should be banned. that and alcohol

Woodrow
07-26-2009, 01:53 PM
I had been a very heavy smoker for nearly 60 years. It is one of the strongest addictions a person can ever succumb to. It does ruin your health. The longer a person smokes the more difficult it is to quit and after quitting there will still be frequent desires to smoke.

From what I understand it is haram, because it is a needless substance that damages your body for that reason it falls under the same type rulings that would apply to tattoos and several other rulings. Suicide is haram, smoking is a slow suicide, especially today as most people now know it leads to a horrible slow death.

Do not smoke unless you have made a personal choice to commit suicide and know suicide is haram and your death will lead to hellfire.

Grofica
07-27-2009, 04:47 PM
ok i hope this is not a stupid question...

But if smoking is haram why are there so many "smoke shops" (tabacco shops, hashish shops, or however you want to call them) all over the middle east... UAE, Iraq, Jordon...

aadil77
07-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Because not everyone is of the opinion that it is completely haram and that smoking isn't mentioned clearly in quran or hadith

UmmHasan
07-27-2009, 05:57 PM
1) nope i dont smoke
2) I am not sure if it is Haraam.

noorseeker
07-27-2009, 06:22 PM
i stopped 3 and a half years ago, allahamdulillah, After smoking ten years it was the easiest thing i ever did.
If it werent considered haram to me , then i would not have stopped,

I think because the non muslims have alcohol, they can have that to take a bit of stress away.

So as a muslim, im looking for that halal version to take my stress away, and guess what smoking does take that bit of stress away, and because people class it as makrooh , they just risk it.

The nicotine addiction is gone, but like now im feeling stressed and got nothing to do.
People will say listen to quran, but maybe my heart is too full of sin for it to impact it.

Clover
07-27-2009, 06:27 PM
1. No
2. No Clue

Smoking hurts the lungs, hence, I don't do it. I had a grandfather, who had 3 strokes, and 3 heart attacks, all causes of him smoking packs a day since he was around 15. He ended up, couldn't use his left arm, or left leg, and died slowly for over a decade. No thank you.

jerryleeevans
07-28-2009, 07:17 AM
No I do not smoke, and find it rather disgusting. I stopped dating women who smoke, because it's rather nasty kissing someone who just smoked a cigarette. My whole family smoked growing up, and all my relatives do with me being the exception. I quit drinking once I converted to Islam, so now I should be pretty healthy. :D

Muhaba
07-28-2009, 07:30 AM
i do not smoke, Alhamdulillah and i don't want to marry a guy who does.

i heard it is haraam on the basis that it damages the body.

sister herb
07-29-2009, 09:30 PM
I smoke. :hiding:

Not sure can we say it is haram or just disliked. :nervous:

ardianto
07-30-2009, 05:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar

The nicotine addiction is gone, but like now im feeling stressed and got nothing to do.
That's why stop smoking is very difficult.

جوري
07-30-2009, 05:29 AM
Death Of Waitress Linked To Environmental Tobacco Smoke, Case Study Shows

ScienceDaily (Feb. 11, 2008) — A young asthmatic woman who collapsed and died shortly after arriving for her shift as a waitress at a bar may be the first reported death to be reported nationally from acute asthma associated with environmental tobacco smoke.

This case report by a Michigan State University physician, published in the February edition of the American Journal of Industrial Medicine, not only outlines circumstances under which the woman died, but also raises a number of issues regarding safety in the workplace.
The report states the woman arrived at the bar in Michigan and, according to co-workers, seemed happy and healthy. About 15 or 20 minutes later she collapsed and within a few minutes died.
“This is the first reported acute asthma death associated with work-related ETS,” said Kenneth Rosenman, an MSU professor of medicine and chief of the Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. “Recent studies of air quality and asthma among bar and restaurant workers before and after smoking bans support this association.”
In 2006, the surgeon general’s report concluded that ETS causes coronary heart disease, lung cancer and premature death. But at that time there was little hard evidence linking ETS to the exacerbation of asthma in adults.
However, Rosenman and colleagues believe this case provides plenty of evidence to link secondhand smoke to this death.
“The autopsy clearly indicates she died from asthma,” Rosenman said. “There was no other cause of death. Her death is consistent with what we know about exposures in bars like this. We know asthmatics are more susceptible to irritants and other particulates in the air.
“We know that particulate levels from secondhand cigarette smoke in bars like this reach sufficient levels to set off an asthma attack.”
As an occupational and environmental health physician, Rosenman said he also is concerned about the long-term effects of ETS on all employees, not just those with pre-existing conditions like asthma.
“As a consumer, I don’t have to go into that bar,” he said. “But is it a safe environment for the employees? We have federal laws that say employers have to provide a safe and healthy workplace. This was clearly not a safe and healthy workplace for this employee.
“This death dramatizes the need to enact legal protections for workers in the hospitality industry from secondhand smoke.”
In the United States, 23 states have already banned smoking in restaurants and bars. A number of other states, including Michigan, are considering it.
While many bar and restaurant owners say a smoking ban would hurt business, Rosenman argues that just the opposite is true.
“Consider that 75 percent of the population doesn’t smoke,” he said. “Banning smoking could actually serve to increase business. Studies of restaurants and bars in Boston, New York City, San Francisco and Washington D.C. all show business up since they banned smoking. Chicago went smoke free the beginning of this year.
“We’re behind the times if we want to attract tourists and help businesses be more profitable.”
Three public health disease-tracking systems in Michigan were used to gather information for this case report.
Other members of the research included Martha Stanbury, Michigan Department of Community Health; and Debra Chester and Elizabeth Hanna of MSU’s Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
The project was funded by grants from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

still think it is not haram? One thing to bring cancer and dz on yourself, but how awful when you kill others, and I don't mean instantaneous as was the case of this poor woman.. but slowly and painfully.. second hand smoke is worst than first hand, for where as the smoker gets the filtered end, the people around get it straight up.. and it is just not fair!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0208101802.htm
:w:

Blackpool
07-30-2009, 09:19 AM
The best decision a labour government ever made was to ban smoking in public places. I used to get smoke forced down my lungs due to some idiots not having a care in the world. I choose not to smoke for a bloody reason. I still get smokers whining to me about the ban as if they expect me to agree with them. No sympathy for smokers from me.

Raaina
07-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I agree, it was the best decision the Labour government made. Last month I went on holiday to Slovakia, they don't have a public smoking bad there. I went to watch the football at a bar and everyone was smoking, i'd forgotten how bad it was, but what made it worse was even the barmaid was smoking, it was awful and you could taste it in the drinks to.

And no I don't smoke either, incase you couldn't guess :p

Mysterious Uk
07-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Nah, i don't smoke the cancer stick and never have, it is such a pointless waste of money. The science lessons involving the blackened lungs and the picts of throat cancer worked on me.

sarajulldin
07-30-2009, 04:54 PM
I dont smoke, and have argued the point of banning it and alcohol many times with my non-muslim colleagues and college students (and a criminology teacher)

IT IS HARAM, no matter what people think, many years ago there was no link from smoking and illnesses and no one could prove what smoking did

but with todays science and facts that it causes damage and ill health, it is now clear is it haram in Islam, Islam, does not allow us to cut ourselves so why should smoking be allowed?

Blackpool
07-30-2009, 10:07 PM
It definately is a form of suicide. You are knowingly putting tar into your lungs and those around you. A cigarette packet clearly reads in big bold letters that "smoking kills." This for me is enough for me to decline any offers of a cigarette, even at the age of 14 when I was constantly encouraged to do so. I love my health and I love the way I look.
As for alcohol, it can be bad and it can be addictive. I've seen what this does to people and for some it is all they have that keeps them happy. I know someone who drinks pints of beer from 8:30am with a breakfast which is terrible.
I consume alcohol socially, but I have 1-2 month breaks from any alcohol to keep my tolerance levels to a minimum and to keep my heath in a decent state. During these breaks however, I get ribbed alot. Apparently it's macho to drink a pint of beer...

jeff d
07-30-2009, 10:19 PM
I agree that smoking is not good, but I don't believe that it is suicide either, for this reason:
1. In order to be suicide, there must be the intention of ending your life....smokers are not trying to end their life, they are either smoking out of habit, addiction or pleasure. None of those things are good either, but they definately do not have the intention of suicide within them.

deenisearcher
07-30-2009, 10:23 PM
most scholars agree irs makru tahrimi
as the info on cancer and stuff comes to light i think the next generation is becoming more aware may Allah SWT give all muslims the taufiq to stay on halal and not venture into makru. Ameen

sarajulldin
07-30-2009, 10:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jeff d
I agree that smoking is not good, but I don't believe that it is suicide either, for this reason:
1. In order to be suicide, there must be the intention of ending your life....smokers are not trying to end their life, they are either smoking out of habit, addiction or pleasure. None of those things are good either, but they definately do not have the intention of suicide within them.
but then smokers aware that by smoking you are damaging your body to the point where death will come early then not smoking, in which case commiting suicide?

abdussattar
09-01-2010, 04:53 PM
1) nope i dont smoke
2) I am somewhat sure it is Haraam., since everything that harms the body is haraam

Woodrow
09-02-2010, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
1) nope i dont smoke
2) I am somewhat sure it is Haraam., since everything that harms the body is haraam
:sl:

Masha Allaah for staying safe from the fitnah of smoking.

Personally I do not think their need be any debate on the question of if smoking is haraam, halal or makrouf. Another factor is of more concern. We do know without question it is haraam to defile or harm our bodies needlessly or intentionally. Smoking does harm the bodie and does defile it. At a very minimum we can look at the rulings that govern tattoos I doubt if anybody would say that needles and ink are haraam. But, their is wide agreement a tattoo is. This is a defilement of out bodies. Perhaps we need to also look at the discoloring to ones's teeth, fingernails, and lungs smoking does. Is not the permanent discoloring of ones skin very much the same as a tattoo, even though it is not art work?

Abdul Wahid
09-02-2010, 03:24 PM
:sl:

I smoked when I was in school but that was just at school. A few times with friends/relatives. I think it was just trying it out.

So then I went on to shisha. Me and mates used to go thinking it was alright. I thought it was just flavour but later found that it contains tobacco.

Alhamdulillah don't touch none of them. It was a rare occassion when I went to a shisha lounge.

What I found bad was that there were brothers with beards and sisters with hijabs at the shisha lounges. It just doesn't set a good example.

Anyway just avoid smoking.

LauraS
09-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I really don't see why anyone would want to smoke nowadays knowing the dangers. What's the point? A waste of money and a waste of life. I don't drink either, I'm not against drinking if people are sensible about it, but I don't like the taste so I don't do it. What does annoy me is when people drink just to get srunk and because of my age it's expected I should do the same or else I'm not normal somehow. A man on TV said a teenager who doesn't smoke or drink is a dull teenager, and what sort of message is that? So in order to beninteresting we have to act like complete idiots and then get told how we're just drunken louts when we actually get drunk and smoke? The thing is I know one day to all the people I know that keep going out and getting drunk will realise their behaviour is the complete opposite of mature (which is what they actually think), but until that time you feel like you're the only sane one. Sorry for the rant lol it's just hard being a teenager who doesn't drink or smoke.

FS123
09-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Never. I was into sports that made me keep away from smoking and other things that were bad for health.

S.Belle
01-04-2011, 09:33 PM
No I dont smoke the smell of cigarettes makes me nauseous.
I remember reading somewhere that it was haram
hehehe

Perseveranze
01-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Nope, no smoking or drinking :)

LauraS
01-05-2011, 07:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Nope, no smoking or drinking :)
It's the healthy way to be. ^_^

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.