/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Uncle/Auntie or Bhai/Apa

Beardo
07-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Right now, my criteria is that anyone 2 years older than me, I call them Bhai or brother.

Anyone above 10 years, is Uncle/Auntie.

What's your criteria? Just wondering.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Banu_Hashim
07-26-2009, 08:26 PM
If it's in relation to my family, it depends on the generation.

If someone outside my family is 2 years older than me, I generally just call them by their name. If they are like 7+ years older, then bhai. If 10-15 years +, then an arbitrary Uncle and Aunty will do :p.

nebula
07-26-2009, 09:07 PM
i usually call someone whos like 8 years elder then my bhai, if im close with them then by their name, but you wanna be careful calling desi people aunty or uncle coz they'll find it offensive. the reason is because they'll think ur saying they look oldd. i know its weird but thats how it is in pakistan. people usually hide their ages for e.g. if theres a person whos blatenly old enough to be ur uncle he'll call you his brother just so that he can make himself look younger. walahi people have some complex with ages back home.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-26-2009, 09:13 PM
^^dang nebula, u hit it right on the nail :p My mom when we were lil kiddies, she was like in her mid/late 20s and people who were like 40s called her baaji or aunty lool. She's like in her 30s now n ppl think that cuz she has kids dat r older she may be like in their 40s/50s like them and try n be her age or make her their age. What is it with desi's man? They'll be like 50 and have kids like 8 yrs old but will lie about it. Why this age complex?

Anyone much older than me i call aunty/uncle. Gotta be like a big difference. I don't even call my cuzins baji/bhai...call all my cuzins by their names...not a habit. I only have one cuzin who icall bhai. my parents try to get us to say bhai/baji but its jus weird now. Not used to it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
transition?
07-26-2009, 09:14 PM
29 years and above - auntie/uncle

everyone else is akhi or ukhti.

Banu_Hashim
07-26-2009, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
What is it with desi's man?
They don't like being old! At least that's the case with the women folk.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-26-2009, 09:25 PM
It's mostly common with women but even the men do it too :/. Basically anyone can have this age complex.

KiWi
07-26-2009, 09:26 PM
around my age n a lil bit older, i just call them by their name..sometimes bro or sis
older than that, its auntie/uncle

Faye
07-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Within 5 years of my age, I call them by their names. If they're older than 5 years then they are baji/apa or bhayya. Any body who looks old enough to be my mother, I call them auntie/khala

S_87
07-27-2009, 10:31 AM
depends who the person is and my relation with them...

- IqRa -
07-27-2009, 02:12 PM
1-10 years older = Older brother/sister

Anything older - Uncle/Auntie

Re.TiReD
07-27-2009, 02:15 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

If the person is my mums age or roundabouts then its Auntie. Sometimes its Afa if the individual is an older sis of one of my close friends, even if she is my mums age the fact that I see her as my friends sis would mean that I call her afa. Friends relations are to me whatever they are to them. So I call my friends bhabi's afa.

Everyone else I'd call sis.

WassalamuAlaykum

Woodrow
07-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Speaking as an older person, I do appreciate being called Uncle. I find it to be much more sincere than the Mr. or Sir commonly used.

I do not mind being called Akhi, and appreciate that also. But when a person under the age of 40 calls me uncle I glow. It gives me a good feeling.

I do not think you can set a specific age as to when to call an older person Uncle/Auntie or Bhai/Apa. I think it is best to follow your own feelings and if you are comfortable with calling somebody Uncle/Auntie or Bhai/Apa and intend it as a loving sign of respect, then do so.

Beardo
07-27-2009, 02:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Speaking as an older person, I do appreciate being called Uncle. I find it to be much more sincere than the Mr. or Sir commonly used.

I do not mind being called Akhi, and appreciate that also. But when a person under the age of 40 calls me uncle I glow. It gives me a good feeling.

I do not think you can set a specific age as to when to call an older person Uncle/Auntie or Bhai/Apa. I think it is best to follow your own feelings and if you are comfortable with calling somebody Uncle/Auntie or Bhai/Apa and intend it as a loving sign of respect, then do so.
Personally, I think you are old enough for me to call you Grandpa. :X Just saying. I mean, would you find it insulting?

- IqRa -
07-27-2009, 02:51 PM
How old are you by the way, Uncle Woodrow?

Beardo
07-27-2009, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
It says on his profile I think.

Woodrow
07-27-2009, 03:13 PM
I can honestly say I am older then some mountains :D

(Paricutan volcano first started forming in 1943 http://www.paricutin.com/ and is now a mountain. I was born in 1940)

Beardo
07-27-2009, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I can honestly say I am older then some mountains :D

(Parictuain volcano first started forming in 1943 http://www.paricutin.com/ and is now a mountain. I was born in 1940)
;D LOLOLOL ;D

That'd be funny if someone said "Man, you're almost as old as a MOUNTAIN!"

"...I'm older...."

- IqRa -
07-27-2009, 03:17 PM
69 is NOT a granpda age... :ermm:

Ar-RaYYan
07-27-2009, 03:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
i usually call someone whos like 8 years elder then my bhai, if im close with them then by their name, but you wanna be careful calling desi people aunty or uncle coz they'll find it offensive. the reason is because they'll think ur saying they look oldd. i know its weird but thats how it is in pakistan. people usually hide their ages for e.g. if theres a person whos blatenly old enough to be ur uncle he'll call you his brother just so that he can make himself look younger. walahi people have some complex with ages back home.

Its not just desi or people from back home who have some complex problem with ages. Its everywhere!! Some time ago i was in the masjid and it was really crowded and i wanted to get out but this lady (who must have been in her fourties) was in my way and i was like 'salaamu alyakum aunti could you move to one side please' and she was like 'ooh sorry sister...' walahi it was so obvious she didnt like me calling her 'aunti' :hiding: and i was embarrassed :embarrass From that day i have stopped calling strangers 'uncle' or 'aunti' unless the invite me to call them that.

Beardo
07-27-2009, 03:19 PM
69 is NOT a granpda age... :ermm:
It's more than 4 times my age. o.o;

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.