/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Praying on the go/while doing something else

Sari
07-29-2009, 10:53 AM
I was wondering about the rules about praying on the go, or while doing something else. I know you can do zikr at any time but i have a few questions -

1. What if you are not appropriately covered - i.e. without a headscarf, or with arms showing or if you've just come out of the bath and are in a bathrobe, or even in the middle of changing clothes?

2. What if you do not have wudhu/ghusl? Can you pray surahs from the Quran and everything else, even Aayatul Qursi? I know you cannot touch the Quran or pray namaaz obviously, but if you're just praying by heart?

3. What if you're lying down (about to go to sleep, or just lying down), or not sitting in the most appropriate manner because you're doing other things, is it okay to pray anything, even things from the Quran?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- IqRa -
07-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Wudu' is recommended in ten cases.

6. When doing dhikr
Source

There are two types of dhikr: dhikr with the tongue such as reciting Qur'an and du`a’ (supplication), which is encouraged in Shari`ah, and dhikr in the heart, which means thinking of Allah and His greatness and power, or reciting the Qur'an in one’s heart. This does not bring the same reward as reading Qur'an, because the reward has to do with reading, which can only done on the tongue (by moving the tongue and speaking the words). The same applies to du`a’; they should be spoken on the tongue and it is not sufficient to recite them in the heart.

Muslim scholars differentiated between the two types of dhikr. They said that it is makruh (reprehensible) to remember Allah on the tongue (by speaking) in the bathroom and glorify Allah in that place. With regard to remembering Allah in one's heart, they said that this is not makruh (reprehensible) and there is nothing wrong with it.

The proof that this distinction is made between the two kinds of dhikr is the fact that the scholars are agreed that it is permissible for a person who is junub (in a state of impurity following sexual activity) to recite Qur'an in his heart, but it is haram (prohibited) for him to recite it out loud or utter it.

An-Nawawi said, "(The scholars) are agreed that if a person who is junub thinks of Qur'an in his heart, without moving his tongue, he is not reciting it in the way that is forbidden for one who is junub." (Sharh An-Nawawi `ala Sahih Muslim)

Ibn Al-Mundhir said, "`Ikrimah said: A person should not remember Allah on his tongue (by speaking) when he is in the toilet, rather (he should do so) in his heart." (Al-Awsat)"

In the fatwa of The Standing Committee for Fatwa and Research we read:

"It is part of Islamic etiquette that a person should remember his Lord when he wants to enter the toilet or the bathroom, by saying before he enters: ‘Allahumma inni a`udhu bika min al-khubthi wal-khaba'ith (O Allah, I seek refuge with You from the male and female devils).’ But he should not mention Allah after he enters, rather he should stop mentioning Him after he enters."

The late Sheikh `Abd Al-`Aziz ibn Baaz, the former Mufti of Saudi Arabia, added:

"Remembering Allah in one's heart is permissible at all times and in all places, in the washroom and elsewhere. Rather what is makruh (reprehensible) in the washroom and similar places is to remember Allah on one’s tongue (by speaking), except for saying bismillah (in the Name of Allah) when beginning to do wudu' (ablution). He should say that if it is not easy for him to do wudu' (ablution) outside the bathroom, because it is obligatory according to some of the scholars, and it is sunnah mu'akkadah (a confirmed Sunnah) according to the majority."
Source

“As for making dhikr in the bathroom when you are making wudu’ or ghusl(ritual bath), it is permissible if you are sure that the place is pure and there is no impurity in it. Also, this dhikr is to be confined to the du`as (supplications) of the wudu’ or ghusl such as saying the Basmallah or seeking Allah’s refuge against Satan; otherwise it’s better not to make dhikr – which is meant to be an act of worship – in the bathroom.”
Source

ahmed_indian
07-29-2009, 01:51 PM
i think by the word 'pray' u mean reciting Quran in heart or without using Quran mushaf.

yes, u can recite surahs and ayaats without wudu and while lying also.

eg. it is recommended to recite Ayat Al Kursi before sleeping. so of course, we recite it while lying for sleep.

Sari
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
When i said praying by heart, i meant praying with the lips moving, but not from looking and touching the quraan. So like reciting Ayatul Qursi with your lips moving (no proper sound though) but not from looking and touching the quraan, just from memory. So do you need wudhu for that and to be covered up properly for that, and other praying/zikr?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ali_008
07-31-2009, 01:26 PM
:sl:
Duas can be made anytime anywhere, they don't need wudhu. Wudhu is required for touching the Qur'an or offering Salaah or giving the adhaan/azaan or delivering the khutbah as far as I know. Wudhu isn't required for any other kind of dhikr, you can make dua on the go. There's even a dua for exiting the washing room and its a very small dua. Its just Ghufraanaka. You can make dua any time.

According to a hadeeth, a person who wakes up in the middle of the night and recites a dua and then asks for whatever he wishes, his wish will be granted. Sleep breaks the wudhu and this dua is recited when you wake up in the middle of the night (i.e. when you're not in a state of wudhu).

Wallahu Alim
And Allah knows best
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.