/* */

PDA

View Full Version : i dont get it about music

AnonymousPoster
07-29-2009, 06:40 PM
why is music haram?
everything haram is usually bad for us but i never got why music is shaitans handiwork.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sarajulldin
07-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Have a quick read here and it will explain all.....

http://www.geocities.com/kkhaan/musicharam.html

Hayaa
07-29-2009, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
why is music haram?
everything haram is usually bad for us but i never got why music is shaitans handiwork.
:sl:

Read Slippery Stone by Khalid Baig. It's a really wonderful, informative, and thorough book and it cleared up alot of things for me regarding music, and hopefully it will answer your questions, too.

:wa:

Muslimlearner
07-29-2009, 07:50 PM
There is hadhees ,which prohibit the musical instruments,but so many ppl neglect it..

The popularity of the musik is one of the sins of the Last Days.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BlackMamba
07-29-2009, 08:18 PM
You can never fully accept that music is haram until you have experienced the sweetness of the Quran. (I think thats a quote from someone). That is such a true statement though. Like up until I was about 14, I used to listen to music and I was not really familiar with the Quran. I had no real love for the Quran at that time.

But when I started reading the Quran a lot and became very familiar with it, I started to love the Quran and would listen to it all the time. At that time, music became annoying for my ear to listen to. I was totally disinterested in music, whenever someone next to me was listening to it I felt like shutting it off right away.

So my advice would be to become obsessed with the Quran, find a reciter that you really like and listen as much as you can. Inshallah music will not interest you once experience Quran more.

czgibson
07-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Haqeeka'
The popularity of the musik is one of the sins of the Last Days.
How do you square this with the fact that music has been popular for thousands of years?

Peace

AnonymousPoster
07-29-2009, 08:34 PM
That is so true, Once you get deep into Quraan u just cant love music, n its the same with Music, when u keep loving it Quraan will keep drifting away.

Ive been there both ways, its true.

paradise88
07-29-2009, 08:50 PM
So true once u get in to islam and the Quran and listening to it, it drifts u away from music. If i here music and it gets stuck in my head it annoys me i do much to get it out. Imagine trying to pray with a song stuck in ur head? whereas if u listen to quran recitation and not music etc u just feel peacefull praying. Im not saying it applies to everyone but i noticed recitations of surahs stick to my head. We can learn song lyrics easily but not memorise the holy book! :)

Xiaus
07-29-2009, 08:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

How do you square this with the fact that music has been popular for thousands of years?

Peace
Well, shoot me if I'm wrong but I hazard that the popularity of music that we're talking about is one that outstrips that of the Qur'an. And before you pragmatically suggest that it IS more popular due to the amount of Muslims in comparison to the amount of music enthusiasts in this world, I meant that it's when the lyrics of Lady Gaga -ugh - invoke more joy, happiness and contentment than the glorious words of the Qur'an. And that's when we have a problem. :hmm:

Uthman
07-29-2009, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakoor15
You can never fully accept that music is haram until you have experienced the sweetness of the Quran. (I think thats a quote from someone).
The quote might be from Sheikh Yasir Qadhi?
It is impossible to expect someone to understand why music is haram when s/he has not experienced the sweetness of the Quran. ~ Yasir Qadhi
I think we ought to get our terminology right in discussions like this, though. Perhaps music as a term is too vague. Musical instruments is more specific and that is what we really mean.

M..x
07-29-2009, 09:03 PM
okay let me tell you my own eprsonal story... I LOVED musik, when I mean love, its lie sumet I have always faut to leave and after watching this...

www.arrivals.technocrazed.com

Alhamdiullah I'm free from tha crap it encourages and tha sin i got ery single day.. =) I hope it has tha same effect on you. P.S Spread tha knowledge and reccomend this to eryone!!!!!!

czgibson
07-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Xiaus
Well, shoot me if I'm wrong
I don't propose to shoot anybody. Especially not newcomers to the forum. :)

but I hazard that the popularity of music that we're talking about is one that outstrips that of the Qur'an. And before you pragmatically suggest that it IS more popular due to the amount of Muslims in comparison to the amount of music enthusiasts in this world, I meant that it's when the lyrics of Lady Gaga -ugh - invoke more joy, happiness and contentment than the glorious words of the Qur'an. And that's when we have a problem. :hmm:
Wrong. The hadith in question, as I have been led to understand it, forbids musical instruments full stop. That means not just the outpourings of Lady Gaga (who I have had the good fortune to avoid hearing so far), but the works of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Stravinsky, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Fela Kuti, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Ali Farka Toure and just about every other major musician in history.

You mention lyrics, and while they may be forbidden for other reasons in Islam (immorality etc.), the Islamic prohibition on music is more concerned with instruments. After several years of discussing this question with Muslims, I've come to the conclusion that nobody really knows why.

Peace

Tony
07-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Music was my hardest thing to give up when I embraced Islam, I lived for it and felt I could never do without it, even now I only have to think of a song and my mood changes, I get cravings for stuff thats haraam and its so hard at times. Took me a long time to fully let go but Alhamdulillah I feel my life is clearer without constant influence of music, images and lyrics. Still miss it like you would not believe but its not so much of a sacrifice when theres so much worse in the world. Subhan Allah

Uthman
07-29-2009, 09:08 PM
I've come to the conclusion that nobody really knows why.
I'd say that's accurate. We can only really speculate as to what the reason for the prohibition is but the reason is not mentioned in the Qur'an or in the authentic ahadith that I know of.

Muhammad
07-29-2009, 09:17 PM

why is music haram?
Sometimes, for something to be forbidden, it doesn't have to be pure evil. It is sufficient reason that the resulting harm will be greater than any benefit. Take alcohol for example - in the Qur'an, Allaah (swt) says (interpretation of the meaning):

They ask you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit." [2:219]

After several years of discussing this question with Muslims, I've come to the conclusion that nobody really knows why.
I don't think that's true. First and foremost, we avoid music as an act of obedience to what Allaah (swt) and His Final Messenger (peace be upon him) have commanded. This is the bottom line, and it's very simple. Beyond this, there are many wisdoms that have been suggested as reasons for why musical instruments are forbidden. If someone doesn't agree or understand them, it doesn't detract from the fact that wisdom exists behind the prohibition, and thus one is simply to trust the wisdom of Allaah (swt) and obey Him in whatever He has decreed.

Peace.

Muslimlearner
07-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Greetings,

Peace
And the Satan is created even before men.:D
Music is the voice of Shaitaan:it makes you forget Allah SUT and the purpose of life...
Touches your heart and then Shaitaan manipulates you...

czgibson
07-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

Sometimes, for something to be forbidden, it doesn't have to be pure evil. It is sufficient reason that the resulting harm will be greater than any benefit.
What about the fact that many studies have found that kids who study music do better at school?

See here, here or here.

Or is education less important than uninterrupted devotion to Allah?

I don't think that's true. First and foremost, we avoid music as an act of obedience to what Allaah (swt) and His Final Messenger (peace be upon him) have commanded. This is the bottom line, and it's very simple. Beyond this, there are many wisdoms that have been suggested as reasons for why musical instruments are forbidden. If someone doesn't agree or understand them, it doesn't detract from the fact that wisdom exists behind the prohibition, and thus one is simply to trust the wisdom of Allaah (swt) and obey Him in whatever He has decreed.
You're telling me it's forbidden because it's forbidden. I'm talking about why Allah would have forbidden it - I don't think anybody knows.

Peace

czgibson
07-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Greetings,
Music is the voice of Shaitaan:it makes you forget Allah SUT and the purpose of life...
Umm, what? :hmm:

What does that have to do with the Last Days?

Peace

Tony
07-29-2009, 09:42 PM
For me its about it leading to haraam stuff, and this is pretty much why its frowned upon, you still get music on things, Islam channel for instance, but its more to do with sexual misconduct, drugs etc and that it detracts from focusing on Allah, it also alters mood and therefore causes harm to the soul. I feel personally that hard as it was to give up, it was right for me. Even writing this I feel tempted to run off into groups/singers I loved, so it really is a destraction from Islam. Hope this gives an idea ofwhy its not good for muslims. Peace

Tony
07-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Greetings,

Umm, what? :hmm:

What does that have to do with the Last Days?

Peace
Muhammad(pbuh) said that a sign of the end of times will be the rising popularity in female singers and musicians, maybe this is what is being referred to but Im not sure.

Sari
07-29-2009, 10:20 PM
I used to listent to music alot, but in the last few months i have really drifted from it, it makes me feel uncomfortable and not at peace. I finally understand what my mum has always meant.

I personally feel one of the reasons music is banned is because it invokes emotion in you and makes you FEEL a certain way. Like sometimes a song will make you cry, make you feel like you should go tell that person you like them, you should dance, drive faster, feel depressed, feel hyper etc. It stops you being you, because you're affected by it and lose control of who you really are even if you think you are in control. I can't explain it very well.

And yes music and the way musicians/singers/performers are idolised beyond belief and how utterly popular and mad the effect of music is these days, is a more recent thing. So it is scary..

Muslimlearner
07-29-2009, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tony
Muhammad(pbuh) said that a sign of the end of times will be the rising popularity in female singers and musicians, maybe this is what is being referred to but Im not sure.

The Prophet (PBUH) told us that at the end of time there will come a people who will allow these things just as they will allow alcohol, zina and silk. This is one of the signs of his Prophethood, for all of this has happened.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “In my ummah there will be people who allow fornication/adultery (zina), silk, wine and musical instruments [ma’aazif]. Some people will stay at the side of a mountain, and they will have flocks of sheep. When a poor person comes in the evening to ask them for something he needs, they will say. ‘Come back to us tomorrow.’ Then during the night Allaah will destroy them by causing the mountain to fall upon them...”
(sahih al-Bukhaari and others)

from Qur'an:

“[Allaah said to Iblees:] And befool them gradually those whom you can among them with your voice (i.e. songs, music, and any other call for Allaah’s disobedience)…”

[al-Israa’ 17:64]

rk9414
07-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Here's a lecture called The End of Music-Kamal el-Mekki which begins to address some of the issues concerning music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RthlUOYkI7M

Muhammad
07-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Greetings,

What about the fact that many studies have found that kids who study music do better at school?
As I said, when the harm outweighs the benefit, then it is sufficient reason for a prohibition in Islam.

Or is education less important than uninterrupted devotion to Allah?
To the contrary, devotion to Allah can be enhanced through education. In fact, one could argue that it actually sparked education in the Golden Ages of Islam.

You're telling me it's forbidden because it's forbidden. I'm talking about why Allah would have forbidden it - I don't think anybody knows.
I don't think we need a concrete reason, as the harmful effects of music are very apparent. However, the verses of the Qur'an that are used as evidence against music, together with their explanations, seem to shed more light on the wisdom behind it. See this post for example (it's part of a longer article but hopefully you'll get the gist of it):

http://www.islamicboard.com/298235-post3.html

And there may be other texts indicating the wisdom - Allaah (swt) knows best.

Alphadude
07-30-2009, 04:09 AM
dont get me wrong but if you look around music is every were and you cant escape can you? and there are other things wich is forbiden in islam example you watching tv and there is an advert kinda of a nude or your walking on the street see other womens in a short skirt i mean isnt that haraam if your a good person and your praying and lissoning to music whats so bad about it ? and yes it makes you feel things some times example i feel sad and when i lisson to music i feel good and one of you said that when your lissoning to music and when you pray music in in your head huh well it depends all on your self i mean if shaytaan is powerfull on you it will make you feel like that and even if you dont lisson to music shaytann allways brings deferent stuff your mind while praying to distract you how would you describe that i mean isnt that the same and there is tele isnt that a bad iswell if you think music is bad then stop watching tv iswell can you do that? i dont think so there is music on tv or movies or tv show etc we humans allways pointing to one thing but we forget other similler things so if any one have an objection please give a reason if im wrong this is how i see it and i need an answer to what i said about tele.peace

ardianto
07-30-2009, 04:45 AM
At first, please forgive my ignorance. I am not scholar, but an ordinary Muslim.

I just want to know why I found many Islamic nasheed groups that sing da'wah songs ?, even some groups are under management of some Muslim organizations.

I will not ask if they dont use musical instruments.

rpwelton
07-30-2009, 10:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
At first, please forgive my ignorance. I am not scholar, but an ordinary Muslim.

I just want to know why I found many Islamic nasheed groups that sing da'wah songs ?, even some groups are under management of some Muslim organizations.

I will not ask if they dont use musical instruments.
There are some that use instruments, but most of the ones I've heard do not use instruments (granted I don't listen to nasheeds a whole lot). However, there are a few out there that mimic the sound of instruments using vocals (ie, they can mimic a beat by mixing voices together in rapid succession). I'm no scholar and I don't know whether it's haraam or not, but that practice of instrument mimicry to me does not seem right. It reminds me of the story of the Jews who, to get around not working on the Sabbath, set up their fishing nets on Friday and took them down on Sunday, without ever having "technically" worked at all on the Sabbath.

Here is a great article on IslamQA that actually features several shayukh talking about the state of modern nasheeds:

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/91142

AnonymousPoster
07-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Thats exactly what i was looking for. Jazkallah Khair

zakirs
07-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Sorry if i am wrong, but this is completely a guess.may allah excuse me if i am horribly wrong.

remember my grandmother telling me that when antichrist (the satan of judgementday ? ) comes he controls people using his music.may be it is to avoid that ?

Muslimlearner
07-30-2009, 10:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
There are some that use instruments, but most
Here is a great article on IslamQA that actually features several shayukh talking about the state of modern nasheeds:

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/91142

Jazkallah Khair!

zakirs-yes,it is.Pls.read more about music in Islam!

Anybody knows a hadeeth about the punishment in Hell Fire for those,who listen music?
some fire-bullets in their ears or something ???

Xiaus
07-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Greetings,

I don't propose to shoot anybody. Especially not newcomers to the forum. :)

Wrong. The hadith in question, as I have been led to understand it, forbids musical instruments full stop. That means not just the outpourings of Lady Gaga (who I have had the good fortune to avoid hearing so far), but the works of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Stravinsky, the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Fela Kuti, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Ali Farka Toure and just about every other major musician in history.

You mention lyrics, and while they may be forbidden for other reasons in Islam (immorality etc.), the Islamic prohibition on music is more concerned with instruments. After several years of discussing this question with Muslims, I've come to the conclusion that nobody really knows why.

Peace

Um, how so? Lady Gaga was a random example so I would like to know where I erred. Do you think that I'm so finite in my understanding of music that I can't look beyond modern pop-trash? My point still stands. And as it is, it includes the works of all those artists you mentioned because it's still music regardless. Music distracts and competes with the Qur'an in the hearts of the righteous and it will continue to do so until it supercedes the Qur'an which is then one of the signs of the Last Days. If I remember correctly, that was also the answer to your original question so how I came to be wrong on a question you hadn't asked yet puzzles me somewhat. Just a bit.

As for the importance of lyrics vs instruments, I'm fully aware that musical instruments are prohibited in Islam but it wouldn't be wise of me to ignore the effect of lyrics on music either. I mentioned it because it's a major factor in rendering a certain melody haram, not because I'm ignorant as to why music is actually forbidden. Both are important to me and valid of discussion.

Perhaps you haven't been talking to the right kind of Muslims (myself included) but one glance at this thread, or more precisely, one glance at Muhammad's post would have cleared up more than a few misconceptions for me.

Peace! :)

GuestFellow
07-31-2009, 10:44 PM
why is music haram?
Well I used to listen to Shakira songs quite a lot. When I used to pray, I couldn't concentrate. For some reason, every time I prayed, her music used to pop into my head and I couldn't concentrate. :/

That is my personal reason not to listen to music.

innocent
08-01-2009, 04:22 PM
This is a question I used to ask all the time. I could not live without music. But now alhamdulillah I have erased all music from my phone and replaced it with Quran recitation. I'm so glad that I got out of the habit of music. Once you accept and believe that it truly is haram you start thinking about what you are doing and for what. I hope Allah gives you the strength to accept it and erase it from your life inshallah.

innocent
08-01-2009, 04:26 PM
When I used to pray I used to keep getting songs coming into my head and randomly throughout the day as well also last thing at night and anytime i woke up in the night and first thing in the morning but now I always get quran recitation in my head. alhamdulillah.

AnonymousPoster
08-01-2009, 06:15 PM
what about if ur just randomly singing?
theres no instruments involved and its only a coupleof lines?

ardianto
08-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Anyone remember the former NBA basketball player Kareem Abdul-Jabbar ?

In 90's he visited Indonesia.
When he visited a media office, staff in this office welcoming him with rap music from tape recorder.
However, when Kareem Abdul-Jabbar entered this office and he heard the rap music, he covered his ears with his hands, and shake his head. Seen this reaction, office staff turned of the tape recorder.

Honestly, if I never joined in Islamic forum, maybe I will never know why brother Kareem Abdul-Jabbar avoid heard this music.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.