/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Clothing issue

AnonymousPoster
07-30-2009, 07:46 AM
salam

I have a islamic question,but i do not know where to post this topic. So if you are a mod please leave this topic alone so i can find it later. And can someone direct me to the correct section for any future islamic questions I have.

Here is my question

*When we wear clothes are we allowed to have images on our clothing? Such as plants, flowers, animals, words etc? Is it allowed in public? and During prayer?etc

thanks in advance

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AnonymousPoster
07-30-2009, 05:01 PM
i need to go shopping and i'm wondering if i should return an item.

Can someone answer, please?

sarajulldin
07-30-2009, 05:05 PM
My personally opinion is not to buy anything with anything on it, no reason for it and you dont really need it, just keep it plain and simple

Muslimlearner
07-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Better return it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rk9414
07-30-2009, 05:17 PM
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/83154/images%20clothes

Firstly:

It is not permissible to wear clothes on which there are images of animals or people, because of the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (3226) and Muslim (2106) from Abu Talhah (may Allaah be pleased with him), according to which the Prophet (peace and blessings o

Secondly:

Prayer offered in a garment that has images of people or animals on it is valid, but there is some sin involved.

The Scholars of the Standing Committee were asked: Is it permissible to pray in a garment on which there is an image of a person or images of animals? Is it permissible to enter the toilet in a garment on which there is the name of Allaah?

They replied: It is not permissible to pray in clothes on which there are images of animate beings, whether people, birds, camels, cattle, sheep, or other animate beings, and it is not permissible for a Muslim to wear them when he is not praying either. The prayer of one who prays wearing clothes on which there are images is valid, but he is sinning if he knows the shar’i ruling. It is not permissible to write the name of Allaah on clothing, and it is makrooh to enter the toilet wearing it, because that is showing disrespect to His name, may He be exalted. End quote.

crayon
07-30-2009, 05:32 PM
^What the brother above said.

So
"plants, flowers, animals, words"

All of them are allowed except for animals, and obviously obscene words.

جوري
07-30-2009, 08:21 PM
what about mystical creatures that aren't found in creation such as dragons, gargoyles and such?

:w:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-30-2009, 08:25 PM
^^ I was gunna ask that, or like a cartoon character. Something like mickey mouse/bugs bunny etc..anything that is an offset of something real.

جوري
07-30-2009, 09:02 PM
my niece has lots of clothes with toon characters on it.. like squidward from sponge bob...

lol

anyhow perhaps it is a matter better directed to scholars.. since we'll be divided in opinion here I can guarantee...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-30-2009, 09:03 PM
I have a mickey mouse 1 :-[ Although that just gets covered by my shawl...:p

I agree sis lol.

:sl:

rk9414
07-30-2009, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
what about mystical creatures that aren't found in creation such as dragons, gargoyles and such?

According to what I recall, Sheikh Yaser Birjas said that the ruling only applies to the creations of Allah. So things such as dragons and gargoyles don't apply...

جوري
07-30-2009, 10:43 PM
^^ :sl:

Jazaka Allah khyran..
I don't think many adults wear such ornamented designs anyway.. it is just a little kid issue.. they like sunshine and flowers and things that perk them up.. and they only get one childhood to enjoy it :smile:

Muslimlearner
07-30-2009, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye

No,as per the hadeeth for the painting:nothing with head is allowed,including fantasy creation.

KiWi
07-30-2009, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rk9414
According to what I recall, Sheikh Yaser Birjas said that the ruling only applies to the creations of Allah. So things such as dragons and gargoyles don't apply...
hmm, i thought anything with eyes in clothes r not permissible to wear :?

GuestFellow
07-30-2009, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KiWi
hmm, i thought anything with eyes in clothes r not permissible to wear :?
Where did you hear that sister?

AnonymousPoster
07-31-2009, 02:55 AM
you what ?i think i'm going to return the item. it's a long dress with lots of leaves on it . it might be fine but i don't know any scholars. so i'll make my life simple and stick to solid colors and patterns, just for now .

thanks

جوري
07-31-2009, 03:37 AM
:sl:
I really don't think there is a problem at all with leaves, the majority of mosques are adorned with them..

I don't wear abyas or jilbabs except on occasion and I get mine from this site.. I love the quality of their items.. I hope you enjoy their products too insha'Allah.. they are simple and very chic

http://www.aabuk.com/index.php

KiWi
07-31-2009, 03:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Where did you hear that sister?
from a lecture i once attended

rk9414
07-31-2009, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
you what ?i think i'm going to return the item. it's a long dress with lots of leaves on it . it might be fine but i don't know any scholars. so i'll make my life simple and stick to solid colors and patterns, just for now .

thanks
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/70497

Pictures of natural scenes, such as trees, oceans and mountains, is permissible even if they are drawn by hand. No difference of opinion is known among the scholars concerning the permissibility of that, apart from what was narrated from Mujaahid ibn Jabr concerning the prohibition on making pictures of fruit bearing trees, but not non-fruit bearing trees.

Snowflake
08-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Having pictures of animate beings on clothing, walls or paper, etc.

'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The people who will be most severely punished by Allaah on the Day of Resurrection are the picture-makers." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/382). Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Allaah says: 'Who does more wrong than the one who tries to create something like My creation; let him create a grain of wheat or an ear of corn . . .'" (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see Fath al-Baari, 10/385). Ibn 'Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: "Every picture-maker will be in the Fire, and for each picture that he made he will be given a soul, and he will be punished in Hell." Ibn 'Abbaas said: If you must make pictures, draw trees and things that do not possess a soul." (Reported by Muslim, 3/1671). These ahaadeeth clearly indicate that it is haraam to make images of animate beings, whether they be humans or different kinds of animals, whether the images are two- or three dimensional. Pictures are forbidden whether they are drawn, engraved, carved, etched or cast from moulds. The ahaadeeth which forbid making pictures cover all these methods.

The Muslim should accept what the Sharee'ah says, without arguing. Some may say "Well, I am not worshipping these pictures or prostrating to them!" But if you look closely and think about just one of the bad effects of the widespread presence of pictures in our times, you will understand the wisdom behind this prohibition: this bad effect is the provocation of sexual desire which leads to immorality, because of these pictures.

The Muslim should not keep any pictures of animate beings in his house, because this prevents the angels from entering his home. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The angels do not enter a house where there is a dog or pictures." (Reported by al-Bukhaari, see al-Fath, 10/380). In many houses there are even statues, some of which represent the gods of the kuffar, which are kept for decoration; these are more haraam than other kinds, just as pictures which are hung up are worse than pictures which are not hung up. How often have pictures led to glorification and grief, and led to boasting! We should not say that the pictures are kept for memories, for true memories of dear fellow-Muslims lie in the heart, and one remembers them by praying for forgiveness and mercy for them. One should remove all these pictures, or blot them out, except when it is too difficult to do so, as with these pictures which are all over food packaging, or in encyclopaedias and reference books; even then, you should try to remove it, and to be careful about the bad pictures in some books. It is permissible to keep some necessary pictures, such as those on identity cards and licences, or pictures which are walked on (such as pictures in carpets). "So keep your duty to Allaah and fear Him as much as you can . . ." [al-Taghaabun 64:16]
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/books/10#61

index123
08-03-2009, 06:34 AM
I thought it was prohibited to draw anything that had a soul in it whatsoever.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.