/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Picking flowers from someone's garden?

crayon
07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Where I live, there's loads of houses with gardens, their trees and flowers overflow over the fence and into the street. Whenever I see jasmines I can't help but pick one. It's not like I go into their gardens and take one, they're right between the house and street. Is this haram? I've always wondered, because technically, they don't belong to me, right? Or is it looked at some other way in Islam?

Input is appreciated, jazakum Allah khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
alcurad
07-30-2009, 05:25 PM
you live in a nice place.

otherwise, not really, unless they object, or it makes their garden look bad, or something like that. if you really feel bad just ask the 'ammo who lives there. just tell him you're Rapunzil or something,,:hmm:

Hayaa
07-30-2009, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Where I live, there's loads of houses with gardens, their trees and flowers overflow over the fence and into the street. Whenever I see jasmines I can't help but pick one. It's not like I go into their gardens and take one, they're right between the house and street. Is this haram? I've always wondered, because technically, they don't belong to me, right? Or is it looked at some other way in Islam?

This happened to me, too before. I picked up a rose off someone's driveway and I was told that it's better to put it back, even though I picked it off the ground (it would've prolly got run over by a car), since it belonged to someone else.

Good question
:hmm:

Snowflake
07-30-2009, 09:27 PM
I think if the flower/fruit etc overhangs the bounderies of the property then you can pick it, otherwise it's stealing. I can't actually remember, I might be wishing it were like that. But I will check for you as this question is covered in a Islamic Jurisprudence book I have.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Periwinkle
07-31-2009, 08:26 AM
I have Jasmine that overflows my wall into the street and like most people I am quite happy to share the exquisite smell and am quite happy for passers by to pick some. Seems to be an unwritten rule with gardeners - share whatever is outside your fence, but what is inside is strictly off limits. After all, that is why humans grow flowers - to share their beauty and their fragrance.

Detritavore
07-31-2009, 08:45 AM
:sl:

I'd just like to point out I'm simply stating an opinion and posing a question (for I have limited knowledge on the matter). So of the record, no I don't know if that act you stated is haraam, sorry sister.

Ok but...

Why pick the flowers in the first place? Judging by your post, you have no valid reason/s for picking them. If you truly admire their beauty, killing them sure is a funny way of showing it. It seems wasteful to me.

:wa:

aadil77
07-31-2009, 09:18 AM
I've picked some raspberries to munch from some one's over hanging bushes, thats probably alot worse

Afg
07-31-2009, 09:30 AM
:sl: back in afghanistan, once when i went visit, me and a relative took some fruits from someone else's place..lol. we climbed this kind of poll that was near the wall, and took maybe one or two:D. but i think other times, in this place behind my relatives house, there was trees with fruits on them that didnt belong to anybody. we took a bunch of grapes from them..lol. we were quite small though, but not that small. ah miss there so much.

Thinker
07-31-2009, 09:53 AM

Technically it is theft (but I am sure under the circumstances you describe it would not be pursued) –

Stealing land or things forming part of land . . . . it is theft if taken by a person

when he is not in possession of the land and appropriates anything forming part of the land by severing it or causing it to be severed, or after it has been severed

Snowflake
07-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Sis Crayon,

Please bear with me. I have looked but I can't remember which catagory the ruling came under. I def remeber reading something about it though. Until I find something, it is best to leave something if there is doubt about it. And Allah knows best.

crayon
07-31-2009, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle
I have Jasmine that overflows my wall into the street and like most people I am quite happy to share the exquisite smell and am quite happy for passers by to pick some. Seems to be an unwritten rule with gardeners - share whatever is outside your fence, but what is inside is strictly off limits. After all, that is why humans grow flowers - to share their beauty and their fragrance.
Yup, that's pretty much how I see it as well, I don't think most people would mind if I took an occasional jasmine from their hundreds of jasmines.

format_quote Originally Posted by Detritavore
Why pick the flowers in the first place? Judging by your post, you have no valid reason/s for picking them. If you truly admire their beauty, killing them sure is a funny way of showing it. It seems wasteful to me.

Wa alaikum asalam

I guess I want to take one with me wherever I go, to have their beauty with me always?
I guess your way is one way of looking at it, but at the same time, why does one pick a flower from their garden and put it in a vase in the house? To make wherever they are put a little more beautiful.

But you make an interesting point, I never thought of it like that. Jazak Allah khair for mentioning it.

format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
Technically it is theft (but I am sure under the circumstances you describe it would not be pursued) –

Stealing land or things forming part of land . . . . it is theft if taken by a person

when he is not in possession of the land and appropriates anything forming part of the land by severing it or causing it to be severed, or after it has been severed
I'm guessing that's the legal term for theft? Then I guess it may be considered that, yes. I was wondering about the Islamic perspective, though.

Scents- Take your time hun, I appreciate it..

Thank you everyone for your responses!

sister herb
08-01-2009, 05:29 AM

I have similar situation every year but by apples and neigbour; they have two apple trees and partly they branches are growing to my side of garden. So long than those apples are on tree, I don´t touch them (not even usually) but when they fall on my side, I pick them up and eat them.

If I don´t, sooner or later they will rot in my garden and I have to collect them and throw away. Or maybe better to put them back to other side (even they are already rotten?).

Very tastefull apples, by the way.

:statisfie

جوري
08-01-2009, 06:21 AM
interesting thread.. when I was a kid in the old country we had this rare flower, my uncle told me its name but I forgot it, anyhow it was so fragrant and had an interesting character in that every flower had tons of little minute flowers in it.. I used to stuff em up my nose :lol: I can't tell you how many times my parents took me to the docs for foreign body aspiration amongst other things, but I learned that it can just as easily come out of your mouth if you inhale it fast enough... lololol

:w:

Beardo
08-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Hmmmmm....

There was this one Auntie in my neighborhood who used to walk with a scissor and cut my neighbor's roses. :X

Detritavore
08-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Wa alaikum asalam

I guess I want to take one with me wherever I go, to have their beauty with me always?
I guess your way is one way of looking at it, but at the same time, why does one pick a flower from their garden and put it in a vase in the house? To make wherever they are put a little more beautiful.

But you make an interesting point, I never thought of it like that. Jazak Allah khair for mentioning it.

I see and understand what you mean. It's just one of those petty things that peeves the heck out of me I guess.

Usually, I only pick flowers at the local organic farm and that's so I can eat them. Mmm, (some) flowers are incredibly tasty! :statisfie

Perhaps you should look into gardening- I think it would be a well suited hobby. I would too, if I wasn't so lazy.

Oh and congratulations on getting moderator!

crayon
08-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Sister harb- Ahh I can imagine, that would be so cool mashaAllah.. but you're right, they would rot in your yard anyway. I guess one way to do it is to ask them if what you're doing is okay? Since it's only that one neighbor.

Goss- SubhanAllah! That flower sounds so beautiful! What color was it?
And lol @ stuffing them up your nose.. Exploring your environment is fine and all that, but not everything has to go up your nose to be discovered. :P

eHafiz- Ah. I see. Yeah, that's not cool. Unless she previously had permission from them, which maybe she did?

Detri- I agree, flowers can be delicious! Where I'm from, a common breakfast food is rose petal jam (just had some hehe)- it's absolutely exquisite. You'd never think you were eating a flower, it's a weird concept, but interesting. I was googling it just now, and found this written about it on a blog
"Of all the foods I’ve discovered in my travels, rose petal jam is probably the one that has captivated me the most. There is something magical about eating a mouthful of flowers, and the taste is sweet and thick with a slightly-squeaky texture of petals and a fragrance unmatched by any perfume."
http://desertcandy.blogspot.com/2007...-of-roses.html

As for gardening- definitely inshaAllah! The house we just moved into has a huge garden. Most of it is filled with grass, but there's a big enough place to plot things. I'm thinking simple veggies (spring onions, mint, tomatoes, etc.), and loads and loads of flowers. I'm so excited! :D

Jazak Allah khair. :)

nebula
08-01-2009, 09:51 AM
wow rose petal jam thats something ive never heard of before, sounds weird but i wouldnt mind trying it.

crayon
08-01-2009, 09:59 AM
What's dhab? I googled and got a picture of a lizard...really hoping that's not what you meant..:><:

And if you get the chance to, definitely try it sometime, it's great.

nebula
08-01-2009, 10:02 AM
lol i made a thread, hope that answers ur question :D

Detritavore
08-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Crayon- I have had rose petals before, but rose petal Jam! That sounds delightful.

I'll have to go hunting for it. Where do you think I'll most likely find some? Keeping in mind I live out in little ol' New Zealand.

Can it be homemade by any chance

crayon
08-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Ooh NZ, awesome mashaAllah, I've always wanted to visit.
No clue where you could find it there, though.. probably anywhere there are turkish/syrian/lebanese shops? I know there'd probably be plenty in Australia, not sure about NZ though.

And yup, it can be homemade indeed, isn't too complicated either!

Here are instructions, along with some pictures for making rose petal preserves :)
This recipe is thicker than your typical rose petal jam.
Rose Petal Preserves
Ingredients:
4 oz Rosa Damascena Petals (about 8 cups loosely packed petals)
1/2 Cup Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice (about 2 medium lemons)
1 1/2 Cups Cold Water
2 Cups Sugar
1 Packet Powdered Fruit pectin Gather only the petals from the roses. Rinse petals well with cold water in a strainer or colander. Place in a large shallow saucepan. (See Image 1)
Drain well.
Add to the petals lemon juice, water and sugar. Mixture should be more shallow than deep. (See Images 2 & 3)
Stir over heat while slowly bringing to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Once sugar is dissolved bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer gently, covered for 30 minutes. (See Images 4 & 5)
Blend the fruit pectin with some of the liquid from the pan, add this mixture back into the pan and stir without boiling until fully dissolved. (See Images 6 & 7)
Bring back to boiling, reduce heat, simmer gently for a minute or so. (See Image 8)
Pour into hot, sterilized canning jars, invert to seal. Store in a cool, dark place. (See Images 9 & 10)
http://www.av-at.com/stuff/rosejam.html

Detritavore
08-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Ahhhh Jazak'Allah khair sister!

I'll attempt to make some soon inshAllah, but I'll need something to compare it to so I'll go down to the local Asian market and take a stable there. Unfortunately I'm yet to come by any Turkish/Syrian/Lebanese shops in my parts (mind you I pretty much live in the middle of no where). It's times like these you appreciate diversity!

Periwinkle
08-02-2009, 01:49 AM
The jasmine blooms actually last longer in a vase than on the vine if they are put in water with a bit of aspirin. Constant picking is needed to keep a jasmine vine looking at its best and to make it flower more prolifically - the same for many other flowering perennials.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.