/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Hair Care...Somali,Ethiopian, Eritean hair

~*~Serene~*~
07-31-2009, 02:45 AM
Salam

*mods do not move this to the sister section i don't have access

Ladies do you have Somali,Ethiopian, Eritean hair? Something similar?

I really need a lot of hair care advise. I don't know what hair type you have but if you have tips let me know.

My situation

I have really,really, curly hair and I'm trying to figure out the best care for it. My biggest issue now is that my hair is so hard to comb, tangles and so much hair breaks and pulls out.

1) I'd like to know what hair brushes you use and why. Please provide pictures.

Mine is similar to this.

2) what shampoos and conditioners do you use. I use Pantene Pro-V

3) Hair oils? Hair moisturizers? Sometimes i use olive oil. other times nothing

4) what products do you use for hair straighting,heating,curlying, etc. I'd like know this for special occassions. And have my hair look nice.

Thankyou in advance . Please help. Please help ..I'm tried of struggling with my hair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
~*~Serene~*~
07-31-2009, 06:12 PM
anyone?

Xiaus
07-31-2009, 07:07 PM
:sl:

Hey sis,

Does it count if my hair is only curly when it's wet? I know quite a bit about the struggles of having curly/wavy hair since I'm Somali (although not full) and it can be a nightmare sometimes. But with patience, Alhamdullilah it always works out for me. First of all, the brush you're using is wrong, wrong ...wrong! You should be using a comb with really wide teeth to avoid snagging the hair and causing unwanted extra damage to the hair. Not too wide though because that's just futile. Use a leave-in conditioner to make it more silky and less prone to tangling/knotting and follow that up with keeping your hair in a up-do to make sure. Swishing your hair around may feel nice to begin with but it'll bite you in the ass at the end. I recommend using olive, jojoba, almond or coconut oils if you're not a fan of leave-in conditioner.

Anyway, I use Frederic Fekkai's Luscious Curls Shampoo which I order from SpaceNK.com since I'm too lazy to go salon for it. It's designed for girls with curly/wavy hair and it pretty much works wonders for me. If Pantene Pro-V works for you, keep at it but some ingredients in it are derivatives of silicon which just coats your hair instead of protecting it. To be honest sis, for curly hair, shampoos aren't so important. As long as it cleanses your hair without stripping it of all its natural oils, it's all good! You should invest in quality conditioners such as Creme de Coco Conditioner, any Kiehl's or Frederic Fekkai conditioner and Bumble & Bumble products. They're rich, moisturising, control your curls and smell of chocolate. :wub:

Then after that, I use a hair masque once or twice a week to keep it really shiny and soft. I don't straighten my hair often since I prefer it wavy but in the rare occasion that I do use heat appliances, I protect my hair with a thermal spray before instead of using oils because only serves to fry my hair. Then, I use a low heat setting to style it, followed by a cold blast from the hair dryer to set it and I'm all done.

http://hairstyleschat.com/wp-content...ir-styles2.jpg

My hair is an exact but darker version of hers in case you wondered, Zulekha. Sorry to the believing brothers here if non-hijab pictures are not allowed...I wasn't sure so I just linked instead of doing

~*~Serene~*~
07-31-2009, 08:26 PM
First of all, the brush you're using is wrong, wrong ...wrong! You should be using a comb with really wide teeth to avoid snagging the hair and causing unwanted extra damage to the hair. Not too wide though because that's just futile.
I'm assuming this?right?

Use a leave-in conditioner to make it more silky and less prone to tangling/knotting
I had to google leave-in conditioner lol. what brand do you recommend?

I recommend using olive, jojoba, almond or coconut oils
jojoba's a oil?is it better then olive?

As long as it cleanses your hair without stripping it of all its natural oils, it's all good!
Do shampoos qualify as cleansing hair ? like Frederic Fekkai's Luscious Curls Shampoo?or does cleansing mean rinsing your hair out?

and i'm also somali.
Thank you so much Xiaus. i learned a lot. :statisfie

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Ruler
07-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Oh the things I had to type in google to find this:

I would warn you against straightening, heating, curling... Because doing that to your hair ruins it.

Xiaus
07-31-2009, 09:16 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Zulekha
I'm assuming this?right?

Yep.

I had to google leave-in conditioner lol. what brand do you recommend?
Well, you can use the Aussie leave-in conditioner which you can find in Superdrug alongside the whole range so it's worth checking. It's relatively cheap at £4.00 and if you want to sample the range, they stock 99p tester sachets. Plus, the scent smells gorgeous so it's a win-win situation.

jojoba's a oil?is it better then olive?

Jojoba is an oil indeed. Whether it's better than olive oil, I don't know but it's in that group of nourishing oils so it passes the test. Coconut is my fave, though. You can choose from olive, cactus, jojoba, almond, watercress, sesame and coconut. Some are heavier on your hair than others, some will feel silkier and slippery...it's really up to your personal taste since they're all beneficial in their little own ways.

Do shampoos qualify as cleansing hair ? like Frederic Fekkai's Luscious Curls Shampoo?or does cleansing mean rinsing your hair out?
If it has "clarifying" or "purifying" on the shampoo then that means cleansing because it helps remove the build-up of products and dirt so the hair becomes less dull and reflects more light making it shinier since there's no barrier of dirt, moisturizers, old products etc blocking anything. I only use Frederic Fekkai Curls Conscious because it helps control frizz and it's tailor-made for rebellious curls! But if you struggle with dull hair, then I suggest Frederic Fekkai's Apple Purifying Shampoo if that's what suits your needs.

Thank you so much Xiaus. i learned a lot. :statisfie[/QUOTE]

You're welcome sis. :statisfie

~*~Serene~*~
08-01-2009, 11:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
Oh the things I had to type in google to find this:

I would warn you against straightening, heating, curling... Because doing that to your hair ruins it.
salam
You had a hard time googling this product ...I did to:hmm:

I googled "euro stil professional 450 made in spain comb"

googled it in many different ways and nothing.

so when i go shopping i'm just going to see if they have it in stores.

Thank you for showing it to me!

mojowowo
11-19-2009, 06:00 AM
The following are some basic hair care tips that you can use to improve the health and look of your hair.

General
A healthy lifestyle will mean healthier hair for you. Excessive stress, smoking, not exercising and not eating nutritiously are not healthy for your hair.

Get enough sleep.

Hair Products (Gel, mouse, hair spary...)
Avoid using hair styling products with alcohol which dries out hair.

Avoid puting hair styling products directly on your scalp, if you put it on your scalp you'll clog the pores on your head.

Swimming
Before entering a pool, wet your hair so your hair will soak up the initial water instead of the chlorinated water.

When swimming where a cap to protect your hair from chlorinated water, if you choose not to wear a cap make sure you shampoo and condition your hair right after you are done

swimming.

Drying
Hot air can be damaging to your hair so when using a hair dryer use the cool setting.

Don't leave the blowdryer in one spot for more than a few seconds, keep it moving and at a good distance away from your hair.

To speed up the drying process, pat your hair dry with a towell and let the remaining moisture in your hair dry naturally.

Gently use your fingers or a pick to untangle any knots while your hair is drying.Then you can use the hair straightener to make your hair beautiful, silky hair.

more hair care

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.