/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Red, white and blue

Ummu Sufyaan
07-31-2009, 07:55 AM
:sl:
i've noticed that so many countries have the colors red, white and blue in their flags...so now I cant help but wonder if it goes back to a common root they perhaps they might share? would anyone know? have/are the colours red blue and white significant for anything?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
07-31-2009, 08:03 AM
I noticed that too, but I think it's more of a coincidence. I think each flag holds different symbolic beliefs about what their flag is referring to. Good observation though. :ermm:

ardianto
07-31-2009, 08:34 AM
There is no Blue in Indonesian flag, just red and white.
Red means Brave/Dare. White means Innocent

Beardo
07-31-2009, 08:37 AM
What a diverse forum mashallah!

Well, US, Korea, UK, and all those countries have red, white, and blue. Sister was probably referring to that.

But jazax for that info. Culture is fascinating! We should make a culture thread. :X I would do it, except Tony will accuse me of trying to reach 1mil posts faster. Jk :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ژاله
07-31-2009, 08:45 AM
green is also very common.at least for islamic countries.

Detritavore
07-31-2009, 08:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
There is no Blue in Indonesian flag, just red and white.
Red means Brave/Dare. White means Innocent

Bingo! It comes down to the the symbolic merit of colours if anything. These vary from place to place but of the three colours you listed two are prime and one is well, white, so you'd expect them to be very common place in any form of artistry (having very board connotations associated with them mind you).

:wa:

ardianto
07-31-2009, 08:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak
green is also very common.at least for islamic countries.
Even Libyan flag is Green only.

ardianto
07-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Correct me if I am wrong.

Red, White and Blue on Great Britain's Union Jack is combination from :

- White and Red, Saint George's Cross flag (England)
- Blue and White, Saint Andrew's Cross flag (Scotland)
- White and Red, Saint Patrick's Cross flag (Ireland)

But I think, every kids in UK know about it. :D

Detritavore
07-31-2009, 09:28 AM
I come from one of the many British ex-colonies and we have the union jack on our flag *hmph* and I can say shameless I have no idea what it means.

Well, until now that is.

Thanks for the enlightenment brother (if someone corrects you thanks in advance to them too).

:statisfie

Muezzin
07-31-2009, 03:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Correct me if I am wrong.

Red, White and Blue on Great Britain's Union Jack is combination from :

- White and Red, Saint George's Cross flag (England)
- Blue and White, Saint Andrew's Cross flag (Scotland)
- White and Red, Saint Patrick's Cross flag (Ireland)

But I think, every kids in UK know about it. :D
I think you know more about it than most kids in the UK.

ardianto
07-31-2009, 03:41 PM
I always got this question when we watched England's footbal team on TV.

"Why their flag is not Union Jack ?".

And I always answer "Because they are not Great Britain, but England. In UN, they have one country. But in FIFA and UEFA, they have four 'Countries', England, Wales, Scotland, and North Ireland. And every 'Country' in FIFA and UEFA has different flag".

Xiaus
07-31-2009, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
i've noticed that so many countries have the colors red, white and blue in their flags...so now I cant help but wonder if it goes back to a common root they perhaps they might share? would anyone know? have/are the colours red blue and white significant for anything?

I don't know about common roots but perhaps it has something to do with a few countries colonizing many countries and imparting some of their culture. I think the former empires like Britain could have wanted to unify their territories under those colours or something.

OT: Saudi flag is the most awesome, though. Mash'Allah. :wub:

Deep Cove
08-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Asalam Alaykum.

HEres my thoughts/thinking.

White:for peace.

Blue:for harmony(the sea,sky.)

Red: for the economy of the country perhaps...

HinduIconoclast
08-01-2009, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Deep Cove
Asalam Alaykum.
Red: for the economy of the country perhaps...
Red is usually used to signify valor or bravery, or more directly the bloodshed in the fight for the country's freedom or defense of its territory.

UmmHasan
08-01-2009, 09:44 PM
well for the US flag:
RED is for hardiness and valour
WHITE is for purity and innocence
BLUE is for vigilance, perseverance and justice

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.