/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Chewing Gum

Afifa
07-31-2009, 08:13 PM
:sl:

So iv been told that chewing Gum weakens your memory but then i did a bit of research and found that it actually helps strengthen memory. :?
Anyone want to shed some light on it for me?
:D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
07-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Well I chew gum when I am working or reading something. It helps me to concentrate but I doubt it improves your memory.

aadil77
07-31-2009, 08:28 PM
probably because it makes you hungry

Afifa
07-31-2009, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
probably because it makes you hungry
How does that affect memory? :? :X

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Ruler
07-31-2009, 08:37 PM
"Food for thought"...?

GuestFellow
07-31-2009, 10:33 PM
BBC Is your fwend

Found an article for you to read about Gum. : )

Afifa
07-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Hmmm that was ..intresting.
Jazakallah for sharing.

Clover
07-31-2009, 11:42 PM
Chewing Gum helps most people during tests and such, even peppermints. It helps me some, I prefer to meditate though.

Afifa
07-31-2009, 11:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
Chewing Gum helps most people during tests and such, even peppermints. It helps me some, I prefer to meditate though.
I always thought of it as a distraction during tests. :hmm:

Clover
07-31-2009, 11:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Afifa
idk how. I don't get distracted by gum, I get distracted by the idiots trying to copy off of me lol.

Afifa
07-31-2009, 11:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
idk how. I don't get distracted by gum, I get distracted by the idiots trying to copy off of me lol.
Lol True but after a while it starts to feel like rubber :hmm: and then all i can think about is getting rid of it :X :D

From most places iv looked it mentions strengthening memory but no where iv read it saying it could weaken memory.
Looks like i was told wrong again :hmm:

Clover
08-01-2009, 12:04 AM
I do Brain Exercises, Meditation, and I read. Them 3 will make your memory better.

Rubber? I once chewed my gum so long (like hours upon hours) it turned into liquid. Talking about nasty.

Beardo
08-01-2009, 12:17 AM
:sl:

So iv been told that chewing Gum weakens your memory but then i did a bit of research and found that it actually helps strengthen memory. :?
Anyone want to shed some light on it for me?
:D
No wonder I got a B on my last test! I was chewing gum because one of my friend told me it helps concentrate. Lil liar. I had to do a 3 page essay to get extra credit points to make up for the B. :exhausted

GuestFellow
08-01-2009, 02:37 AM
Sometimes. I chew gum for hours and it taste like rubber. I find that annoying and sometimes I swallow. It's a bad habit. I know I shouldn't swallow it but I do it without thinking. :hmm:

Hayaa
08-01-2009, 02:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Sometimes. I chew gum for hours and it taste like rubber. I find that annoying and sometimes I swallow. It's a bad habit. I know I shouldn't swallow it but I do it without thinking. :hmm:
I heard that it takes several years to digest gum. :exhausted

Deep Cove
08-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Maybe walking and chewing gum at the same time shouldn't be so tough after all. A joint study carried out by the University of Northumbria and the Cognitive Research Unit in England has found that the act of chewing gum improves short- and long-term memory by as much as 35 percent.

Spearmint, cinnamon or bubble-gum flavor -- it doesn't matter. The key to better brain power is the repetitive chewing motion, according to the study, which was presented at the British Psychological Society's annual conference in Blackpool.

"The results were extremely clear; specifically we found that chewing gum targeted memory," says Andrew Scholey, a scientist with the university's human cognitive-neuroscience unit who carried out the study. "People recalled more words and performed better in tests on working memory."

Why does chewing gum stimulate one's memory? Scientists don't know for sure, but they are working on two theories. One is that the gentle exercise of chewing raises a person's heart rate, which increases the flow of oxygen to the brain. Another is that chewing triggers the release of insulin, a natural chemical that stimulates a section of the brain involved in memory.

The results of the study were welcomed by chewing-gum manufacturers worldwide, who said they always had known there were positive benefits to chewing gum. "This is definitely good news," says Christopher J. Perille, senior director of corporate communications for Chicago-based Wrigley, one of the largest gum manufacturers in the world. "We've always known that chewing gum has its benefits. This study just reinforces those benefits."The average American chews an estimated 300 sticks of gum per year, and children in North America spend about a half-billion dollars on bubble gum every year, according to the National Association of Chewing Gum Manufacturers.

ELLEN SOROKIN WRITES FOR Insight's SISTER DAILY, THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Source.

My opinion on this could be a mix reaction because of two main factors.1) Any articles relating to chewing gum may be paid articlles(where a individual gum company pays a newspaper to publish something good about them) to increase the audience in buying more gum..because these days it is hard to trust any media coverages.

fagp1rpp
08-01-2009, 06:49 AM
here are side effects of chewing gum but remember it have also benefits also bu side effects after very bad they can cause cancer,ulcers tired your digesive system and etc here is the link

http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt/foodcourt11.html
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...16/1366318.htm

Detritavore
08-01-2009, 06:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah4ever.
I heard that it takes several years to digest gum. :exhausted
Sister, that is a myth!

Gum is indigestible, it simple passes through the digestive track at the same rate as any other meal.

Hayaa
08-02-2009, 11:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Detritavore
Sister, that is a myth!

Gum is indigestible, it simple passes through the digestive track at the same rate as any other meal.
You're actually right [I did some research myself]!! Sorry about my earlier comment.. and if I frightened some of you. :phew

Jazakallahu khairan for clearing up the misconception!

GuestFellow
08-02-2009, 11:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah4ever.
You're actually right [I did some research myself]!! Sorry about my earlier comment.. and if I frightened some of you. :phew

Jazakallahu khairan for clearing up the misconception!
lol its cool sister.

noorseeker
08-02-2009, 11:38 PM
chewing gum makes me feel confident

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.