/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Has he got any rights over her?

AnonymousPoster
08-04-2009, 05:02 PM
:sl: I hope everyone is in good health and iman. My niece who I love very much is staying with us for a few weeks. She is my brother daughter.
My brother and her mother are divorced and her mother remarried a few months ago. Her new husband is a revert brother mansha Allah.

He told his wife she had to wear niqab and she was happy to mansha Allah but he is now telling my niece to wear it as well. First of all she is not even ten years old yet. I have nothing but respect for sisters who chose to wear niqab and is something I am thinking of taking on insha Allah but i have an issue when is forced especially on a child.

I was wondering islamically has he got any rights over her?
Does she have to cover up in front of him?

May Allah swt reward you for the taking the time to read this.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Faye
08-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Your mother's husband is your mahram. You don't have to cover up in front of him.

A pre-puberty girl isn't required by Islam to cover up, though once her body starts changing, it is recommended that she do so.

I'm not sure if he has rights over her. Isn't custody of above 9 year-olds supposed to be for the father according to Islamic law?

Maybe you should recommend the revert step-father to a good Shaykh or Aalim, who can help him clarify his misconceptions.

The Ruler
08-04-2009, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faye
I'm not sure if he has rights over her. Isn't custody of above 9 year-olds supposed to be for the father according to Islamic law?
There are varying opinions.

AnonymousPoster
08-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Your mother's husband is your mahram. You don't have to cover up in front of him.

A pre-puberty girl isn't required by Islam to cover up, though once her body starts changing, it is recommended that she do so.

Maybe you should recommend the revert step-father to a good Shaykh or Aalim, who can help him clarify his misconceptions.
:sl: His ex wife denied him access when they first divorced we are now grateful that she even lets my brother see his children. We live in a Kufar country the mother has custody of the children.

My niece wears hijab and she likes it mansha Allah but she doesnt want to wear the nikab yet.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansariyah
08-04-2009, 06:35 PM
She's not even 10 n he wants her to wear Niqaab?:muddlehea

He shudnt be forcing this major issue/decision upon her that grown up women struggle wit. Allow her to grow, then let her decide wat she wants. There's no compulsion in Islam.

She wears the Hijab MashaAllah!: )

Snowflake
08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Is he ok? SubhanAllah! I agree with sis Faye here.

AnonymousPoster
08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah

He shudnt be forcing this major issue/decision upon her that grown up women struggle wit. Allow her to grow, then let her decide wat she wants. There's no compulsion in Islam.

JazalAllah khair. My brother who is her father will not agree with this, its very annoying that another man is telling his daughter what to wear. He is her father after all and he does encourage her islamically alhamaduAllah.

Also her mother is thinking of sending her daughter to live in Yemen, if my brother doesnt agree (I am sure he wont) as it will make access very difficult can he islamically have a say? And somehow stop this from happening? What about legally?

Faye
08-04-2009, 11:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah

The line 'there is no compulsion in religion' is often misused. It means that you cannot force anybody to convert to Islam, not that you cannot force Muslims to abide by Muslim Shariah.

It is a parent's responsibility to ensure that their children become practicing sharia abiding muslims. There is hadith to the effect that if your 10 year-old children refuse to pray salaat, then you should beat them to force them to comply.

This major issue/decision is one of the rules of our religion, that every post-puberty teenager or adult is supposed to comply with. Many adult muslims struggle with salaat, but that is no reason that children should not be forced to offer it. And the same applies to hijaab/niqab.

Many girls are Islamically adult by 10 years old. They are required to do hijaab under the sharia rulings.

جوري
08-05-2009, 04:38 AM
You actually can't force anyone to do anything.. I believe the more you push the further you turn people away and in the end you've achieved nothing, I can't tell you how many people have been affected by this sort of austere upbringing that they invent ways to do haram things.. also niqab isn't compulsory.. if it were the case then women would be wearing niqab during Hajj which they don't.. there is no greater turn out of men than during pilgrimage if there were a time when this would have been compulsory, I imagine it would be during the Hajj season..
I think Niqab is a personal choice and it will force on one a certain life style.. obviously sisters who wear it should get nothing less than respect but women who wear hijab shouldn't be made to feel bad for not covering their face.

whether this guy is her biological father or not, he really has no say over what she wears, he can only advise!

and Allah swt knows best...

AnonymousPoster
08-05-2009, 01:57 PM
The line 'there is no compulsion in religion' is often misused. It means that you cannot force anybody to convert to Islam, not that you cannot force Muslims to abide by Muslim Shariah.

It is a parent's responsibility to ensure that their children become practicing sharia abiding muslims. There is hadith to the effect that if your 10 year-old children refuse to pray salaat, then you should beat them to force them to comply.

This major issue/decision is one of the rules of our religion, that every post-puberty teenager or adult is supposed to comply with. Many adult muslims struggle with salaat, but that is no reason that children should not be forced to offer it. And the same applies to hijaab/niqab.

Many girls are Islamically adult by 10 years old. They are required to do hijaab under the sharia rulings.
She does pray mansha Allah like I said before my brother does encourage her islamically and so does her mother. By the way she is not even ten years old yet going to turn ten soon. She has not hit puberty and she just met this man a few months ago my brother is her father and he is not going to be happy about this. Alhamdullah i am all for teaching the kids our deen as they are the future Ummah but the niqab on a young child who does not even want to wear it is too much for me.

S_87
08-05-2009, 02:04 PM
^^it is too much for a young child and if she is forced i can only see her rebelling against it, not accepting it so maybe someone should sit with the brother and explain this to him?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.