/* */

PDA

View Full Version : personal statement....argh!

sshuraimno1fan
08-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Salam i have to write my personal statement for uni and im sooo stuck! I wanna do accounting at a degree level (inshallah) bt i dont know where and how 2 start my personal statement! Tips and discussion very welcome!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Allaah Knows
08-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Wa`alaykum salaam wa rahmatuLlaah,

I wish I could help sis but I haven't even started mine so seems a little silly. Have you contacted your mentor who's helping you with your application? Mine gave me some guides and example personal statements (which I haven't looked at as of yet) but will inshaALlaah ues when I draft mine.

InshaAllaah others will have beneficial advice for you.

Wassalaam

Tony
08-05-2009, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sshuraimno1fan
Salam i have to write my personal statement for uni and im sooo stuck! I wanna do accounting at a degree level (inshallah) bt i dont know where and how 2 start my personal statement! Tips and discussion very welcome!
One thing for sure is to look at the wording of the individual unis mission statement, when you give ur reasons for choosing the course at that uni use the same wording, ie if its academic based, or if its experience based use those wordings. Leeds nursing maybe (not real) "To promote a diverse and culturally rich working environment within the care industry" you then give examples of culture,race, religious exp in your life, and that you wish tifurther develpin these fields when you graduate. Another may say "To further data and research based learning in the care sector", you say, I am interested in new and developing techniques that can be used to further knowledge and practice within the care sector. ...............Hope this helps:D

The Ruler
08-05-2009, 10:52 PM
There's one particular site that has examples you can read and get ideas from... But I can't seem to recall the web address.

You can google what you want, and I'm sure you'll find something relevant.

The points/advice you're looking for isn't going to help you at all. What is going to help you, though, is writing your first draft then distributing it to all your teachers, friends etc and get their feedback. Or so we did when we did ours.

Things to put down:
- Your extra-curricular activities; what you learnt from them
- The course you're interested in and why you're interested in it
- What interests you, and why they interest you
- Try to link everything to the skills required for your course
- And just generally blah if you're lacking words. Though, most times, one finds themselves reaching the character/line limit far too quick.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hugo
08-06-2009, 10:55 AM
With these personal statements what Universities and Tutors are looking for is some evidence that you have really thought about what you have done and what you hope to do.

There is no 'correct' as such but looking at a few suggested headings is a good idea but its not a test they just want to see what it is you really have to say about yourself and your studies.

sshuraimno1fan
08-06-2009, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tony
One thing for sure is to look at the wording of the individual unis mission statement, when you give ur reasons for choosing the course at that uni use the same wording, ie if its academic based, or if its experience based use those wordings. Leeds nursing maybe (not real) "To promote a diverse and culturally rich working environment within the care industry" you then give examples of culture,race, religious exp in your life, and that you wish tifurther develpin these fields when you graduate. Another may say "To further data and research based learning in the care sector", you say, I am interested in new and developing techniques that can be used to further knowledge and practice within the care sector. ...............Hope this helps:D
jazakA brother so 4 accounting like i write why i wanna do it and different business experiences that have influenced my wish to study it perhaps....?

sshuraimno1fan
08-06-2009, 05:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allaah Knows
Wa`alaykum salaam wa rahmatuLlaah,

I wish I could help sis but I haven't even started mine so seems a little silly. Have you contacted your mentor who's helping you with your application? Mine gave me some guides and example personal statements (which I haven't looked at as of yet) but will inshaALlaah ues when I draft mine.

InshaAllaah others will have beneficial advice for you.

Wassalaam
sis i know i was supposed to start it ages ago and my tutor wants 2 c it wen we go back...only problem is im goin bak 2 college a few weeks late as i'l be goin on holiday so i need 2 sort evryfin owt b4 i go inshallah!

Tony
08-06-2009, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sshuraimno1fan
jazakA brother so 4 accounting like i write why i wanna do it and different business experiences that have influenced my wish to study it perhaps....?
yes, plus a tie in with the mission statement of the uni, this normally found first page of any uni website

Ar-RaYYan
08-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Sis use this website: http://www.studential.com/personalstatements/
it was really useful for me when i was doing my personal statement! . It gives you useful tips on how to start your first draft. Also it gives examples of personal statements done by previous students. 17 of those PS are about accountancy. so inshallah those should be able to help you also like sis Ruler said make sure you give your PS to different people so they can give you helpful feedbacks.

Hugo
08-08-2009, 10:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
Sis use this website: http://www.studential.com/personalstatements/
it was really useful for me when i was doing my personal statement! . It gives you useful tips on how to start your first draft. Also it gives examples of personal statements done by previous students. 17 of those PS are about accountancy. so inshallah those should be able to help you also like sis Ruler said make sure you give your PS to different people so they can give you helpful feedbacks.
This is a good idea to give you a start but I urge you to be original in what you write as 1,000s of people will use websites like this and the University tutors will end up seeing 1,000s of applications all sounding the same.

There is a story about a you girl who applied to University for a prestigious course and she was advised on websites much like this one to speak of her leadership or potential leadership qualities. She struggled with this but in the end decided to be completely honest and said she did not think she was much of a leader and thought "no chance of a place now".

However, she was offered a place immediately and when she met the Tutor they discussed her application and it came round to the part about leadership. The girl asked was the leadership inclusion important to which the tutor replied "yes, but since we had applications from 999 leaders we though we needed at least one follower!"

The moral is that Tutors want to hear from YOU not some mass produced version where everyone looks alike. You might take to heart what Kurtb Cobain said: "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

nebula
08-11-2009, 12:51 AM
i need to do my personal statement aswell, aint even started! the draft is suppose to be in when i go back to college :hmm::exhausted:exhausted

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.