/* */

PDA

View Full Version : German football song irks Muslims

Uthman
08-05-2009, 02:58 PM
An anthem sung by fans of the German football club FC Schalke 04 has drawn protests from Muslims because of its reference to the Prophet Muhammad.

The Gelsenkirchen club, which plays in Germany's top league, the Bundesliga, has asked an Islam expert to consider whether the song might be insulting.

The third verse contains the words: "Muhammad was a prophet who understood nothing about football".

"But of all the lovely colours he chose [Schalke's] blue and white," it goes.

The club has received hundreds of e-mails from angry Muslims recently, since Turkish media carried reports about the song.

Police in Gelsenkirchen, in the industrial Ruhr region of western Germany, say they are taking the Muslim complaints very seriously.

The head of Germany's Central Council of Muslims, Aiman Mazyek, said his council would not call for a ban on the anthem, but would like "an explanation of its background".

The song is called "Blue and White, how I love you" and in German the lyrics about Muhammad read: Mohammed war ein Prophet, der vom Fussballspielen nichts versteht. Doch aus all der schoenen Farbenpracht hat er sich das Blau und Weisse ausgedacht.

The German news website Deutsche Welle says the song was written in 1924 and it is not clear when the Muhammad reference made its way in.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
convert
08-05-2009, 03:06 PM
i mean, uh, its not really insulting per say but it is quite odd why the Prophet's (saw) name is there in the first place

Blackpool
08-05-2009, 03:06 PM
You guys need to give it a break, seriously. Concentrate on those who use Islam as justification for murder, rape and torture. There are more important things to worry about.

Brasco
08-05-2009, 03:09 PM
:sl:

Oh yeah! I've heard about this also! Me and some brothers did petition and send many mails to the club's PR, but we did not get any respond. Insha'allahu ta'ala everything will be okay and nothing bad is gonna happen - of course it is our duty to protect the honour of Rasulullah, peace and blessings be upon him, his honour is also our honour. The Sahabi would fight until the last man for his protection, and we'll do it the same way insha'allah! It makes me really sad that this anti-islam campaign reached that level! It is a war against islam!

:wa:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-05-2009, 03:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
You guys need to give it a break, seriously. Concentrate on those who use Islam as justification for murder, rape and torture. There are more important things to worry about.
Who are the "you guys?" Those who got angry or us on the forum, or you mean every single Muslim you do not know? Way to generalize.

format_quote Originally Posted by convert
i mean, uh, its not really insulting per say but it is quite odd why the Prophet's (saw) name is there in the first place
Yea just what I was thinking. Allahu Alam though. It is a question to ask, why is it there? Indirect insult? I don't know.

GuestFellow
08-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Meh I hate football. Whoever was chanting this German football song sound like hooligans.

I agree with Light of Heaven. Sounds like an indirect insult.

I'm not angry, just rather tired of seeing our religion in the spot light. Can we live in peace for crying out loud? -_-;;

It is extremely annoying.

format_quote Originally Posted by Black Pool
We didn't do anything this time. O_o

If they are doing to indirectly insult or mention our Prophet in a negative aspect, then be prepared at least for a reaction or criticism.

Trumble
08-05-2009, 07:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brasco

Oh yeah! I've heard about this also! Me and some brothers did petition and send many mails to the club's PR, but we did not get any respond. Insha'allahu ta'ala everything will be okay and nothing bad is gonna happen - of course it is our duty to protect the honour of Rasulullah, peace and blessings be upon him, his honour is also our honour. The Sahabi would fight until the last man for his protection, and we'll do it the same way insha'allah! It makes me really sad that this anti-islam campaign reached that level! It is a war against islam!
What utter rubbish! There's nothing 'offensive' here at all unless somebody busts a gut actively seeking it. Had you bothered to read the story you will see that the song was written in 1924, and nobody these days even knows why Mohammed was mentioned.

'War against Islam?' "fight to the last man"? GROW UP!! Or if you already have, at least try and develop a sense of proportion!

Brasco
08-05-2009, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
What utter rubbish! There's nothing 'offensive' here at all unless somebody busts a gut actively seeking it. Had you bothered to read the story you will see that the song was written in 1924, and nobody these days even knows why Mohammed was mentioned.

'War against Islam?' "fight to the last man"? GROW UP!! Or if you already have, at least try and develop a sense of proportion!
Why do you get so mad? :) Truth is hurting, isn't it? ^^ I know when the song was written, but was it always used like that? :) and do not try to change the meaning! If it was utter rubbish, you would not respond this way!

Uthman
08-05-2009, 07:52 PM
the song was written in 1924, and nobody these days even knows why Mohammed was mentioned.
The last sentence from the article implies that, although the song was written in 1924, the reference to Muhammad (peace be upon him) appeared some time afterwards.

Brasco
08-05-2009, 08:01 PM
the orginal text was written for Schlumpfhausen and this was in 1924 but Schalke adapted this text and changed :) and what was the change?? wanna guess? next time, do more research!!

Bro it is not to you! it is the respond to trumble!

Lost&Found
08-05-2009, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brasco

:wa:
Lol.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Too much sugar today?

GuestFellow
08-05-2009, 08:34 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
Too much sugar today?
I think so. :p

Brasco
08-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I could post the orginal song! but it is really sacrilegious :( May allah ta'ala forgive me :( well here is it:

Blau und Weiß, wie lieb ich Dich

(Text und Musik: Papa Schlumpf / 1924)
Blau und Weiß, wie lieb ich Dich
Blau und Weiß, verlass mich nicht
Blau und Weiß ist ja der Pimmel nur
Blau und Weiß ist unsere Schlumpfgarnitur

Hätten wir ein Königreich
Machten wir es den Schlümpfen gleich
Schlumpfine, die so jung und schön
Müsste in Blau und Weiß spazieren gehn

Mohammed war ein Prophet
Der vom Schlumpfen nichts versteht
Doch aus all der schönen Farbenpracht
Hat er sich das Blau und Weiße ausgedacht

Tausend Feuer in der Nacht
Haben uns das große Glück gebracht
Tausend Freunde, die zusammenstehn
Dann wird Schlumpfhausen niemals untergehn.

Now you see what I mean! A non muslim has eyes, but he is blind! It does not matter in what time it was written! The religion of Allah ta'ala had always its enmies!

Bro and sis, check this up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nAA9fBc87Y

Tony
08-05-2009, 09:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
I tend to agree here as there is worse, the problem is that with footy the fans are now likely to try and be offensive whreas b4, they were just being ignorant. Football chants are designed to get reaction and to tuant but this doesnt strike me as being outright offensive, but then I suppose there was a need for some sort of response. The trouble is with world cup next yr, this is the sort of thing that can cause big problems when playing muslim countries such as Turkey, Turkish hooligans are great in number and unrelenting in their attacks when they believe they have been wronged. I just hope all will be ok next yr

جوري
08-06-2009, 05:27 AM
I am not sure why they are putting the prophet at all in any song about anything?
what nonsense is this?

I personally don't want to concentrate of the ones using Islam for 'murder or rape' as per above, you concoct and give enough air time to the brouhaha for anything to be left over for us to comment on.

what an incredible preoccupation and sickness presides in their heart ..

sob7an Allah

north_malaysian
08-06-2009, 06:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān

The third verse contains the words: "Muhammad was a prophet who understood nothing about football".
Unless there were football matches in Mecca and Medina during Prophethood period... I dont think it's offensive..

"But of all the lovely colours he chose [Schalke's] blue and white," it goes.
blue? dont think so...

glo
08-06-2009, 06:30 AM
I am confused ... is there a connection between Muhammed and the colours blue and white??? :?

جوري
08-06-2009, 06:40 AM
no connection, it is a dumb song chanted by dumb people!

north_malaysian
08-06-2009, 06:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
no connection, it is a dumb song chanted by dumb people!
personally, i think that the football (soccer) fans are the craziest of all sports fan.. months before we had a riot at a stadium where they burnt cars..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-06-2009, 12:47 PM
The main question is...why in the WORLD is Prophet Muhammad(saw) mentioned? And what does blue and white have to do with him(saw)?

Either they're dumb trying to sound cool...or it's an indirect insult. Simple.

Thinker
08-06-2009, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
I agree - an odd example to use but difficult to see anything insulting or offensive there. Would it have been different if the verse had said 'he knew everything about football?'

Thinker
08-06-2009, 02:27 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32248593/

Six Christians killed after Members of a banned Muslim organization began torching Christian homes in the Punjabi city of Gora on Thursday after accusing them of desecrating pages from Islam's holy book, Federal Minister for Minorities Shahbaz Bhatti said.

The reaction (over-reaction) of Muslims to items like the words of this song and the item above just reinforces the steretype views of the silent majority.

Brasco
08-06-2009, 02:35 PM
The main question is...why in the WORLD is Prophet Muhammad(saw) mentioned? And what does blue and white have to do with him(saw)?

Either they're dumb trying to sound cool...or it's an indirect insult. Simple.
The orginal song is actually an insult, direct insult! The club took this song as hymne and changed a bit so it can be an indirect insult blue and white are the colors of the club so they took that song which was talking about blue and white. The orginal song is trully an insult!

GuestFellow
08-06-2009, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker

Six Christians killed after Members of a banned Muslim organization began torching Christian homes in the Punjabi city of Gora on Thursday after accusing them of desecrating pages from Islam's holy book, Federal Minister for Minorities Shahbaz Bhatti said.

The reaction (over-reaction) of Muslims to items like the words of this song and the item above just reinforces the steretype views of the silent majority.
Yes Muslims should not over react. I know some who do...over react. It is best to ignore these things. I wish others could do the same. :/

BTW I would not consider a banned Muslim organizations to be considered as Muslims. =/

Muezzin
08-06-2009, 03:08 PM
What an obscure reference to insert into a football chant.

I like the following more than all other sports chants (on seeing a fat person):

You've never seen a salad

The silent majority including everyone who reacted in a civilised manner on this thread. The silent majority presumably including those Muslims who are not even aware of either of these news stories. The actions of the members of the 'banned Muslim organization' in a completely unrelated incident having slightly more heft than the majority of other Muslims who react in a calm, civilised (and perplexed) manner to reading the news of the football chant that forms the subject of this thread. Did this make any sense when you wrote it?

I do wish people would put more thought into their criticism and stereotyping. Then we could get a cool, RottenTomotoes-style website full of critics, and some wicked, Dolby 5.1 stereotyping. In Imax.

aadil77
08-06-2009, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
BTW I would not consider a banned Muslim organizations to be considered as Muslims. =/
Allahu Alim if they aren't muslim, lets not make tafkir on muslims even if they are worst of the worst,

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-06-2009, 03:36 PM

Or maybe because people like to put a microscope on the minority rather than the majority? The majority are sitting right in front of ur face, well on the forum. So how are we silent? I don't see any of us going out and killing. Do you?

The majority are deemed silent when the minority are given more air. So I'd have to disagree with you. Like Muezzin said, most of us don't even know of these stories. So save us the nit picking please! It's getting pretty old and lame.

Schalke04
08-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi,
as a Schalke supporter I feel urged to reply to this. Most of the problems in this case have come up because of misunderstandings (and misinterpretations by some) that I would like to clarify here:

1. This isnt a normal chant, this is our anthem. It was created in 1924, but the current lyrics including the discussed stanza were added in 1963. Most of them (again including this stanza) were taking from a 1797 hunting poem called "Green oh Green" in which one argument for the colour is that the prophet chose it (which is correct if I am not completley mistaken).

2. The Ruhr area and especially Schalke has been a melting pot of cultures and religions for decades now. Especially in the 60s, when the area provided a lot of jobs due to its heavy coal mining and steel industry, thousands of people came in, especially from Turkey and Poland.
Football has always been a major part in the lives of people in the area and so the clubs, especially Schalke, Dortmund and Essen became meeting points for all the people working in coal mines during the week. Schalke in particular became known for its integration policies (the club got big thanks to polish players in the 20s). We were a very successful club in the 30s which caused the Nazis to use Schalke as propaganda and sadly some people in the club cooperated, but after the end of the war the club regained its attitude.
Now when the anthem was rewritten in the 1963, there was not much knowledge about islam despite the fact that a lot of muslims were just coming in. We have always been and are still a club that is mostly relying on heart/friendship/open-mindedness between all members, though sometimes not really exactly caring for mere facts, and so the writer decided to just quote the old lyrics and reword them to the current anthem.
This was supposed to be (and seen as by the muslims!) as a welcome gesture to the family of Schalke in which neither color nor religion nor background matters.
If anyone is a Schalker, he is my brother.
We know now that the colors blue and white dont really have a connection with the prophet, but it is part of our tradition and so we still sing it before every game, underlining the importance of that feeling around Schalke, that everyone is welcome here (unless a dortmund supporter, but thats a different story ;)).

3. As I said, there are many muslim fans (and even players such as currently Halil Altintop) at Schalke - none of them took offense in the past decades, in fact, they were thankful and proud to have the prophet mentioned as such (we have a pretty relaxed attitude towards all religions at the club.... Pope John Paul was here once and before he cud say no he was handed a membership so we can call him a member of the club too. And once there was a church campaign stating "No one gets past Jesus" - one of our supporters wrote "except Stan Libuda" (one of our greatest wingers) below it).

4. Due to a lot of emails that the club has received in the last couple days, Schalke has hired an expert on Islam to check the background and whether the wording is offensive - he basically said what I have said above and said that despite the wording that may cause some irritation, this is a very helpful song and the glass should be seen half full here. We also contacted the German Islamic Council who said the same.

The reason I write all this is that I have been hearing that all this background isnt really coming across in some media (even German media are writing wrong facts) - and in Germany the image of muslims suffers when emails come in stating "dont be surprised if a bomb goes off in the stadium", "Take it out or carry the consequences" etc. I know these are just a few extremists but unfortunately those are the ones that make the media sell stories and like everywhere in the world there are people who are easily convinced/mislead by such news.

The club stated today that there will be even more dialogue in the future, but after consideration by and discussion with a lot of muslims it was decided that the anthem remains unchanged.
I hope I could explain the background of the lyrics a little bit and I ask you to maybe point them out to friends if you ever discuss this (although really I have to say that I think the world has bigger problems than a song of a football club).
Thanks a lot to everyone who made it through everything,
greetings from Germany!

Schalke04
08-06-2009, 07:14 PM
PS excuse my bad english, it may sound like i think you guys have any connection to the extremists - didnt want to say that and i dont want to generalize at all.
I just think the current media coverage doesnt give the right impression at all and that annoys me because people are getting a wrong picture of us.

The Ruhr area actually has such a culture of diversity (and industry) that it is european culture of capital in 2010, so I invite everyone to visit next year ;)

Thinker
08-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Or maybe because people like to put a microscope on the minority rather than the majority? The majority are sitting right in front of ur face, well on the forum. So how are we silent? I don't see any of us going out and killing. Do you?

The majority are deemed silent when the minority are given more air. So I'd have to disagree with you. Like Muezzin said, most of us don't even know of these stories. So save us the nit picking please! It's getting pretty old and lame.
For some reason my recent posts have been full of idioms. Not that there’s anything wrong with using idioms, they are an integral part of the British language. By the bye. . .

Terms like ‘the silent majority’ and ‘the man on the Clapham omnibus’ describe loosely the ordinary or average person/people, their beliefs and their values. Whether you like it or not they have formed a view of Muslims based upon what they see and hear and they don’t see or hear a lot from the honest and law abiding Muslim silent majority. So (I would argue) that they have stereotyped Muslims; I would agree that is wrong but I am only one person. The point I was making in the post to which you responded was that the over-reaction of some Muslims towards acts of rage and sometime violence every time someone looks sideways at Muhammad or the Qu’ran reinforces that stereotype.

With regards to your suggestion of ‘nit picking’ (another idiom) the killing of six Christians is a little larger than a nit and the crime of suspicion of defacing the Qu’ran is (or should be IMHO) a crime of nit proportions.

جوري
08-07-2009, 06:55 PM
For some reason my recent posts have been full of idioms. Not that there’s anything wrong with using idioms, they are an integral part of the British language. By the bye. . .

Terms like ‘the silent majority’ and ‘the man on the Clapham omnibus’ describe loosely the ordinary or average person/people, their beliefs and their values. Whether you like it or not they have formed a view of Muslims based upon what they see and hear and they don’t see or hear a lot from the honest and law abiding Muslim silent majority. So (I would argue) that they have stereotyped Muslims; I would agree that is wrong but I am only one person. The point I was making in the post to which you responded was that the over-reaction of some Muslims towards acts of rage and sometime violence every time someone looks sideways at Muhammad or the Qu’ran reinforces that stereotype.

With regards to your suggestion of ‘nit picking’ (another idiom) the killing of six Christians is a little larger than a nit and the crime of suspicion of defacing the Qu’ran is (or should be IMHO) a crime of nit proportions.
perhaps the problem here is you introducing a topic that has nothing to do with this one and expecting the majority to shift gears and concern? .. I don't know perhaps you are seeking some contrast.. in fact I believe this to be the topic of interest?

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...ml#post1197931

so perhaps you took a detour to this thread whereas you'd really meant to discuss the other and you are certainly welcome to do so in the proper thread...

Now, is the Muslim response to this or other incidents concerning the prophet our of proportion? Perhaps, perhaps not, but I believe even in the west they have created such institutions as anti-defamation league, laws against libel and slander for exact said reason.. because when they invented 'freedom of speech' they realized, that even that needs a little definition...

I see disgusting programs about Muslims all the time, it has become a part of day time drama and comedy.. the question is how much can we let slide? the majority of westerners have no reverence for anything I get that, but we're not to be defined by western morals. I think they should keep their jokes where appropriate if they don't wish to cause ire to a hibernating beast! nonetheless, what does the prophet have to do with football at all, whether he knew much or not at all about it?

an odd similitude like underwater tandem biking. Were they simply at a loss for words? and figured, what can we do to rile up some Muslims for a laugh? You be the judge. I think it was simply in very bad taste, and I have come to expect many things in bad taste from westerners. They can't come by the same token and ask why folks aren't assimilating well in their societies.. the values or lack thereof define that difference!

all the best

aadil77
08-07-2009, 06:59 PM
"Muhammad was a prophet who understood nothing about football".
Atleast they agree he was a prophet

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-07-2009, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
perhaps the problem here is you introducing a topic that has nothing to do with this one and expecting the majority to shift gears and concern? .. I don't know perhaps you are seeking some contrast.. in fact I believe this to be the topic of interest?

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...ml#post1197931

so perhaps you took a detour to this thread whereas you'd really meant to discuss the other and you are certainly welcome to do so in the proper thread...

Now, is the Muslim response to this or other incidents concerning the prophet our of proportion? Perhaps, perhaps not, but I believe even in the west they have created such institutions as anti-defamation league, laws against libel and slander for exact said reason.. because when they invented 'freedom of speech' they realized, that even that needs a little definition...

I see disgusting programs about Muslims all the time, it has become a part of day time drama and comedy.. the question is how much can we let slide? the majority of westerners have no reverence for anything I get that, but we're not to be defined by western morals. I think they should keep their jokes where appropriate if they don't wish to cause ire to a hibernating beast! nonetheless, what does the prophet have to do with football at all, whether he knew much or not at all about it?

an odd similitude like underwater tandem biking. Were they simply at a loss for words? and figured, what can we do to rile up some Muslims for a laugh? You be the judge. I think it was simply in very bad taste, and I have come to expect many things in bad taste from westerners. They can't come by the same token and ask why folks aren't assimilating well in their societies.. the values or lack thereof define that difference!

all the best
That's exactly what I was talking about. JazakAllah sis.

north_malaysian
08-10-2009, 01:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Atleast they agree he was a prophet
yeah... :statisfie

sur
08-10-2009, 02:00 AM
Indian Movie Songs that DON'T irk muslims....!!!!

Have u guys watched to many of indian movie songs that use islamic words like ALLAH, As-salaamalaikum, Bismillah, Ali, MashaAllah etc etc.??? & the semi naked videos that r filmed on such songs.

some examples:-
1-Lyrics Watch at ur own responsibility
2-Lyrics Watch at ur own responsibility
3-Words MashAllah & SubhanAllah - Watch at ur own responsibility

north_malaysian
08-10-2009, 04:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur

Have u guys watched to many of indian movie songs that use islamic words like ALLAH, As-salaamalaikum, Bismillah, Ali, MashaAllah etc etc.??? & the semi naked videos that r filmed on such songs.

you can witness the same in Arabic and turkish movies and music videos...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-10-2009, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur

Why are you even POSTING this? The fact that you even bothered to go and listen to it or post it on an Islamic forum is weird. Don't post that nonsense please...JazakAllah Khair.

Btw I dont like your title! That stuff definitely bothers me! Perhaps you should say some...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.