/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pride sucks.

Sister_22013
08-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Asalamualaikum

How does one go about getting rid of pride in one's heart? He/she may not show it but can feel it.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sari
08-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I imagine thingsike charity and helping others would help.

GuestFellow
08-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Asslamu Alikum.

I used to have this problem. Sometimes I felt I was better than everyone else. Pride is a big problem for me however I have improved over the years not to let my pride cloud my judgement. My pride prevented me from mixing with those who I considered my social inferiors and I used to look down on people.

I read a book which helped me to overcome this significantly. As Muslims we believe all humans are born with nothing and die leaving everything behind, despite your race, your colour of your skin, your status or your gender. We are all the same and we must realise that we are no different than other people. Individually we're nothing compared to this world and nothing special. We need to eat and drink to survive just like any other human being.

Your status, your race and your possessions is all an illusion. Personally for me they were the reasons for why I viewed other people as inferior. They mean nothing in the next life. You’re not going to get any special treatment when you are going to be judged by Allah. You are going to leave all of those things behind. You do not need them.

All you are taking with you is your good deeds and your bad deeds for the next life. Your status and the possessions is a distraction to comfort us. Try to realise this is all Shaytan's marketing ploy. One of the ways to tackle this, you should give charity.

So try to consider the reasons that cause you to feel superior to others. Tell yourself you do not need them, since they are not going to be worth anything once you die. We use our status and our race as a shield to comfort us from reality. However sooner or later we will have to face and be judged by Allah. Only your good deeds and your bad deeds will make a difference.

Hope this helps.

Snowflake
08-06-2009, 09:07 PM
fasting?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MMohammed
08-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Assalamualikum

Just rely that All you achieve(positive) is given by Allah.Just Learn it.It happens to me too.Sin is to Man.And dont get proud of anything.Pride is the worst thing that finishes a man.Practice and you will be habitual to this.And remember, its the test from Allah.Allah sees that if the pride comes in our heart after he gives us something.If you just remove the proudness, Allah will give you uncountably.And pride breaks relations.
Try Always to be humble.Never Never Never be proud of anything else.
Except the one thing, that you are Muslim if you are!

celina
08-06-2009, 09:43 PM
How about reading nafl? whenever I feel not right in myself I like to read nafl and ask Allah to forgive me.

May Allah forgive us and keep us on the right path INSHALLAH..

MMohammed
08-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Aameen@Celina sister.

Tony
08-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Personally i have some methods to combat pride, two of the best is to either watch lectures or programmes that detail Allahs Creations and how they are miraculous, ie ants and their societies. Another is to watch news clips about the children butchered in conflicts around the world. The first leaves you in awe of Allah and you willnot have a shread of pride when you are left crying in awe. The second shows where pride against Allah can lead a person, ie murder of children

Sari
08-06-2009, 11:18 PM
What IS pride and where do you draw the line between pride, and happiness with what you have or have achieved?

Like when i finished my degree i was proud of myself and my parents were proud of me. Surely that is okay?

I understand that having a flashy house and being really proud of it and showing off and thinking you are amazing because of that, would not be okay though.

But those are two clear situations, what about other situations. Bring proud of ones children, proud of ones achievements in life, proud of a new car etc. All of us have needs and wants, we have our duas answered and get happy and will feel pride for things that we cherish.

Asim Khan
08-07-2009, 06:57 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Sari
What IS pride and where do you draw the line between pride, and happiness with what you have or have achieved?

Like when i finished my degree i was proud of myself and my parents were proud of me. Surely that is okay?
Sister I heard Dr. Israr Ahmed talk about fakhr and takabbur being different. I don't know if fakhr is an Arabic word, but just feeling good over having something not found in others is only as bad as fakhr; it is kibr of which even a single grain denies access to paradise. Kibr has to do with looking down and (falsely) asserting superiority, to think one actually has the right to do so.

25:60-63 and 41:37-38 (25:60 and 41:38 are sajdah tilawat ayahs) support each other. I searched for Concept of God in Major World Religions but was disappointed that the videos didn't have the new starting with the recitation of 41:37. If someone could upload the starting it would be very good for dawah and otherwise inshallah (it is currently on Peace TV (Pak) but I don't have tivo).

:sl:

touba
08-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Assalamou alaikoum wa rahmatou allah taala wa barakatou,

Me too i have this problem of pride and showing off because allah SWT gave me beauty and im very big headed and pride and i could not help it because the people are participating as well in my pride problem by their attention to me and their look to me and their talk about my beauty . Please any advise .

Jazakoum allah khaiyran,

your sister in islam,

btissam

MMohammed
08-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Just believe that your beauty is given by Allah and he can take it anytime.

Eric H
08-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Muminin;

How does one go about getting rid of pride in one's heart? He/she may not show it but can feel it
I guess when we take the credit for a job well done, then we feel pride.

Only when we remember to thank God for all that he has done to help us; do we understand that God should take all the praise and thanks.

In the spirit of thanking a God of power and love for all that we are.

Eric

Uthman
08-08-2009, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sari
A beautiful hadeeth to answer your question:

'Abdullah ibn Mas'ood reported from the Prophet (sallallahu alayhe wa salam) that he said: "A person who has an atom's weight of pride in his heart will not enter Paradise". A person asked: "But one does like to wear good clothes and shoes!" The Prophet (sallallahu alayhe wa salam) replied: "Indeed Allah is beautiful and loves beauty! Pride means to reject the truth and to look down on others!"

Saheeh Muslim, Volume 1, No. 164

The only advice that I am able to give to the thread starter is that you make Du'a sincerely to Allah. Du'a is one of the most powerful weapons of the believer but unfortunately one of the most neglected.

touba
08-09-2009, 09:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
A beautiful hadeeth to answer your question:

'Abdullah ibn Mas'ood reported from the Prophet (sallallahu alayhe wa salam) that he said: "A person who has an atom's weight of pride in his heart will not enter Paradise". A person asked: "But one does like to wear good clothes and shoes!" The Prophet (sallallahu alayhe wa salam) replied: "Indeed Allah is beautiful and loves beauty! Pride means to reject the truth and to look down on others!"

Saheeh Muslim, Volume 1, No. 164

The only advice that I am able to give to the thread starter is that you make Du'a sincerely to Allah. Du'a is one of the most powerful weapons of the believer but unfortunately one of the most neglected.
Assalamou alaikoum wa rahmatou allah taala wa barakatou,

Yes brother you are right ,I always look down on others women , i always critisize them that im the best and the most beautiful but i didnt know that is haram jazaka allah khayr please make duaa for me allah forgive me i was very jahil touba yarabbi

your sister in islam,
btissam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.