/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The name Muhammad

Faye
08-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Prophet Muhammad Sallaallahu Alayhi wa Sallam forbade Muslims to give the name Muhammad to their children during His lifetime so that there would be no confusion. Nowadays, the name Muhammad is so popular among muslims that nearly every boy in Pakistan has Muhammad as his first or middle name. So I'm wondering, when did the trend to name children Muhammad begin? How many of the Tabis were named Muhammad? Or the Taba Tabees? The only Muhammad that I can think of offhand is Imaam Muhammad, a student of Imaam Abu Hanifa and a Taba Tabee.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Brasco
08-08-2009, 09:43 AM
There was also a comapanion, who was named Muhammad, the one who assassinated that jewish man!

ardianto
08-09-2009, 03:25 AM
Muhammad was not a common name during Rasulallah Muhammad lifetime period. But I never heard any ulama say Rasulallah Muhammad forbade people gives name Muhammad to their sons.

I have two sons, and their first names are Muhammad.

Faye
08-09-2009, 09:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
Any source/reference for the claim?
I heard this at a lecture, and didn't question it. I just now looked for references and this is what I found at
http://www.almenhaj.net/Report.php?linkid=7254

عن ابي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال :قال ابو القاسم صلى الله عليه وسلم ( سموا باسمي ولا تكتنوا بكنيتي )) .
وعنه ان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : ((نهى ان يجمع احد بين اسمه وكنيته ، ويسمى محمدا ابا قاسم )).

The majority of the ahadith quoted forbid calling somebody Abu alQasim. One hadith forbids calling somebody whose name was Muhammad, abu al Qasim.

Imaam Nawawi quotes many different opinions of Ulema upon the subject, one of which is that giving the name Muhammad or Ahmad, even without the kuniyah is forbidden.

But the question remains: why were so few of the Sahabah and Tabeen named after our Prophet SAWS? There were a large number of Abdullahs, but Muhammad didn't catch on until much later.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Faye
08-09-2009, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brasco
There was also a comapanion, who was named Muhammad, the one who assassinated that jewish man!
Can you tell me more about him? Who was he and who did he assassinate?

Brasco
08-09-2009, 10:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faye
Can you tell me more about him? Who was he and who did he assassinate?
:sl:

The jew, who was assassinated, was a poet named Kaab ibn Al Ashraf. He used to insult muslims and especially muslim women in his poems. After Badr he provoked Quraysh to fight Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, so he, rasullullah, peace and blessings be upon him, asked who would get rid of Kaab for him. Muhammad ibn Maslama, may allah ta'ala be pleased with him, responded that he would. Kaab also wrote some poetry in which he expressed sorrow and unhappiness over the victims of Quraysh who had been killed at Badr. Even he had plotted with a group of Jews to kill Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him. For these reasons he was killed.

:wa:

sur
08-10-2009, 02:51 AM
Can u please translate relevant ahadees into English.....

I heard this at a lecture, and didn't question it. I just now looked for references and this is what I found at
http://www.almenhaj.net/Report.php?linkid=7254

عن ابي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال :قال ابو القاسم صلى الله عليه وسلم ( سموا باسمي ولا تكتنوا بكنيتي )) .
وعنه ان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : ((نهى ان يجمع احد بين اسمه وكنيته ، ويسمى محمدا ابا قاسم )).

Faye
08-10-2009, 04:13 AM
From Sahih Bukhari

(1) Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Name yourselves with my name (use my name) but do not name yourselves with my Kunya name (i.e. Abu-l Qasim). And whoever sees me in a dream then surely he has seen me for Satan cannot impersonate me. And whoever tells a lie against me (intentionally), then (surely) let him occupy his seat in Hell-fire." (Book #3, Hadith #110)
) Narrated Anas bin Malik: While the Prophet was in the market, somebody, called, "O Abu-l-Qasim." The Prophet turned to him. The man said, "I have called to this (i.e. another man)." The Prophet said, "Name yourselves by my name but not by my Kuniya (name)." (In Arabic world it is the custom to call the man as the father of his eldest son, e.g. Abu-l-Qasim.) (See Hadith No. 737, Vol. 4) (Book #34, Hadith #331)

(13) Narrated Anas: A man at Al-Baqi' called, "O Abu-l-Qasim!" The Prophet turned to him and the man said (to the Prophet ), "I did not intend to call you." The prophet said, "Name yourselves by my name but not by my kuniya (name)." (Book #34, Hadith #332)

Faye
08-10-2009, 04:14 AM
From Sahih Muslim:
(21) Anas reported that person at Baqi' called another person as" Abu'l- Qasim," and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) turned towards him. He (the person who had uttered these words) said: Messenger of Allah, I did not mean you, but I called such and such (person), whereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: You may call yourself by my name, but not by my kunya. (Book #025, Hadith #5314)

(22) Jabir b. Abdullah reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: Give the name after my name, but do not give (the kunya of Abu'l-Qasim after my) kunya, for I am Abu'l-Qasim (in the sense) that I distribute amongst you (the spoils of war) and disseminate the knowledge (of revelation). This hadith has been transmitted on the authority of Abu Bakr but with a slight variation of wording. (Book #025, Hadith #5319)

(23) Jabir b. 'Abdullah reported: A child was born in the house of a person amongst us, and he gave him the name of Qasim. We said: We will not allow you (to give the name) to your child as Qasim (and thus adopt the kunya of Abu'l-Qasim) and coal your eyes. He (that person) came to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) and made a mention of that to him, whereupon he said: Call your son 'Abd al-Rahman. (Book #025, Hadith #5323)

(24) Abu Huraira reported that Abu'l-Qasim (may peace be upon him) said: Give name (to your children) after my name but do not give the kunya (of Abu'l- Qasim) after my kunya. 'Amr reported from Abu Huraira that he did not say that he had heard it directly from Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him). (Book #025, Hadith #5325)

Faye
08-10-2009, 04:16 AM
From Sunan Abu Dawood:
(12) Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin: A woman came to the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) and said: Apostle of Allah! I have given birth to a boy, and call him Muhammad and AbulQasim as kunyah (surname), but I have been told that you disapproved of that. He replied: What is it which has made my name lawful and my kunyah unlawful, or what is it which has made my kunyah unlawful and my name lawful? (Book #41, Hadith #4950)

Faye
08-10-2009, 04:34 AM
Here is another intresting article about the different opinions of the Ulema on the subject.
http://www.ebnmaryam.com/vb/showpost...5&postcount=46

Faye
08-10-2009, 04:43 AM
From Sunan Abu Dawood:
Book 41, Number 4948:
Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah:
The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: If anyone is called by my name, he must not be given my kunyah (surname), and if anyone uses my kunyah (surname), he must not be called by my name.

north_malaysian
08-10-2009, 05:10 AM
So I'm wondering, when did the trend to name children Muhammad begin? How many of the Tabis were named Muhammad? Or the Taba Tabees? The only Muhammad that I can think of offhand is Imaam Muhammad, a student of Imaam Abu Hanifa and a Taba Tabee.
Muhammad ibn Ali Al Baqir ibn Hussain ibn Ali ibn Abu Talib (b. 57 AH)

- IqRa -
08-10-2009, 09:20 AM
rophet Muhammad Sallaallahu Alayhi wa Sallam forbade Muslims to give the name Muhammad to their children during His lifetime so that there would be no confusion.
:ermm:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.