/* */

PDA

View Full Version : you're ship wrecked on a remote Island

جوري
08-08-2009, 08:02 PM
with two friends what will you do first and how long do you think you can survive?

this is an experiment I am running to see how you work the details and how you prioritize...

the first thing I'd do, is look for a source of fresh water...

Go!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Grofica
08-08-2009, 08:05 PM
I would tell one person to go look for water...

The other person to go look for food

and then would gather some wood (or whatever) for shelter... You said there was 3 people... no one needs to be together for all of it... and all things are essencial. :-)

جوري
08-08-2009, 08:06 PM
how would you look for food, it isn't that simple.. are you going to make a spear? or a net or hunt by hand?

also how will you orient yourself, so as to not be lost from friends, do you know how to make a compass from raw material?

جوري
08-08-2009, 08:10 PM
let's see I could find no fresh water now what?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
08-08-2009, 08:12 PM
come on you guys where are your survival skills?
only 1% of the earth's water is fresh, and on a remote place it is likely even if you find it to be filled with protozoa so you end up dead from dehydration from severe diarrhea.

Faye
08-08-2009, 08:12 PM
The first thing i'd look for is more usefull wreckage from the ship.

Lost&Found
08-08-2009, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
let's see I could find no fresh water now what?
Search for coconuts. (Coconut water).

Grofica
08-08-2009, 08:14 PM
how would you look for food, it isn't that simple.. are you going to make a spear? or a net or hunt by hand?

also how will you orient yourself, so as to not be lost from friends, do you know how to make a compass from raw material?
I have taken a lot of survival classes i guess from my dad and grandfather... in the forest (not a swamp or jungle) i dont really need a compass. My dad and grandpas ideas for fun were to drop me off in the woods and see if i could make it home...

as far as the food there are lots of ways to catch food without a gun or spear... not all of them are great or work well but it can be done... plus there is always berries and some leaves... flowers crickets, worms... (not yummy) but you can servive...

Clover
08-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I would first establish myself leader of the 3, and give them 2 jobs. Then I would do my own job. The jobs would be:

Friend 1: Go find a place for decent shelter.
Friend 2: Go find a fresh source of food
Me: Find a source for clean water, and find out the natural inhabitants of the island.

The only thing I'd build is a house, and a shrine, and a barn.

Grofica
08-08-2009, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lost&Found
Search for coconuts. (Coconut water).
coconuts have milk not water... its extreamly thick and very very sweet... but your body still needs water also... :-)

جوري
08-08-2009, 08:17 PM
these are all good, I like it when you guys work the details..
since you can't cure the fresh water (if you can find it) you can dig a few ditches in the ground and wait for it to rain and collect that, you'll only have a couple of days before you die of dehydration, starvation kicks in later.. so it is best to team work (establishing oneself as a leader) will only create discord rather teamwork is best.. each person needs to establish themselves by their abilities not their ego!

the coconut water is excellent in fact any fruit from which you can suck juice will sustain you until you can collect some water... temperature drop during the night, so how will you survive that plus what to do for food??

Lost&Found
08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grofica
coconuts have milk not water... its extreamly thick and very very sweet... but your body still needs water also... :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_water

Clover
08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Ugh Skye. It isn't ego to establish a leader, it is natural selection. If you want to call it ego fine, but think before you attack my choices.

جوري
08-08-2009, 08:21 PM
^^ how will you lead, I mean what do you have to offer realistically that you think will serve the whole?

Clover
08-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Leadership qualities I learned from being in groups, the ability to think out of the box, and the ability to command others.

Grofica
08-08-2009, 08:25 PM
ok i will give you that one but thats only in young coconuts and i dont know about the water but its hard to open those things and when you do there is never much milk in them.... i guess it would be the same with the water.... 2 times the work for a little water :phew

Clover
08-08-2009, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
:sl:
Really? Seeing as you're American, I'd have thought the first thing you'd try would be to ring 911 :p

Speaking of water though, I came across these two vids posted elsewhere the other day.

1. Watercone - scroll down a bit for the vid.
2. Lifesaver bottle.

Quite awesome.
omgosh haha, that is the first nationalist joke I have ever actually laughed at lol, thanks Alpha, rep, seriously funny.

Grofica
08-08-2009, 08:28 PM
^^ how will you lead, I mean what do you have to offer realistically that you think will serve the whole?
I figure who ever has the most shoes gets to lead... he he he he he he:statisfie

Lost&Found
08-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I mean what do you have to offer realistically that you think will serve the whole?
Cannibalism? :exhausted

جوري
08-08-2009, 08:29 PM
^^^ lol.. everyone should carry one of those before they embark on a trip by sea ..

I was thinking more of the practical approach to a dire situation.. I only learned about the water ditches recently, I mean the people of old must have survived somehow without our modern conveniences..

I was talking to my friend yesterday and I came up with (what I thought was practical) which is that we sever each other's olfactory nerve out so we don't deal with each other's odor from lack of soap, and my friend had a cow, asked me why we couldn't look for wild flowers instead and rub ourselves after bathing in the sea.. and I thought well the future generations need to speak about us in interesting fashion in their anthropology courses..

the tribe on this remote island had a very strange habit of severing each other's olfactory nerves Dr. (fill in the name) speculates that they thought it was useless, and took power away from their other cranial nerves.. lol

Clover
08-08-2009, 08:30 PM
If I got hungry enough.

جوري
08-08-2009, 08:31 PM

lol yeah by the end of that exercise yesterday, I had a nervous breakdown because I couldn't carry out my duties and lost my mind completely and my friend ended up (cutting me off as I was dead weight) in other words I was dinner for weeks ;D;D;D

GuestFellow
08-08-2009, 08:33 PM
The 3 of us will go to the wrecked ship and take anything that might be useful. (Wood, maps etc)

The 3 of us together explore the island and find a safe place to stay and be near a source of fresh water.

Me and 1st friend will look for wood and try to make some form of shelter. The 2nd friend looks for food such as fruits...not meat.

When the three of us return to the same spot, and managed to make some form of shelter, we discuss how to get off the island.

The only way is to fix that ship. During that time we continue to collect resources and work on fixing that ship.

Once the ship has been fixed, we get off the island. =)

جوري
08-08-2009, 08:35 PM
how would you orient yourself on the island or even if you manged to fix the ship which is now lost at sea?
also do you realistically know how to make fire from wood?

Ansariyah
08-08-2009, 08:35 PM
First thing I wud think of is, where to sleep. Make sure it's clean, gather lots of leaves to make a bed, build something if I need to. Try to make fire, incase it gets cold at night.

For food, fruit is the best.
Water, go search for it? lol Islands are suppose to have lots of it?

thetruth2009
08-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Assalam aleykoum sisters and brothers,

1) I will try to build a Hut with trees

2) Look for animals and make weapon from Hood, Stone for fishing.

3) If I find animals I can take their fur to make cloths

4) try to make some wood fire, to keep warm at night and to protect me from savage animals

Grofica
08-08-2009, 08:37 PM
If i was starving.... Sorry but of course! friends (true friends) are supposed to be there to support you in your time of need. ;D;D;D;D;D:nervous::nervous:

جوري
08-08-2009, 08:38 PM
what if you were injured? you know wild bears come to the smell of blood and you can be dinner for a beast....

also would you be willing to eat disgusting small animals like rats and squirrels?

Clover
08-08-2009, 08:39 PM
what if you were injured? you know wild bears come to the smell of blood and you can be dinner for a beast....

also would you be willing to eat disgusting small animals like rats and squirrels?
A squirrel can be a fine meal madam.

جوري
08-08-2009, 08:39 PM
If i was starving.... Sorry but of course! friends (true friends) are supposed to be there to support you in your time of need. ;D;D;D;D;D:nervous::nervous:

rofl.. this reminds me of a voltaire story I once read.. I guess each friend can sacrifice a body part per day.. :skeleton: ;D

GuestFellow
08-08-2009, 08:40 PM
how would you orient yourself on the island or even if you manged to fix the ship which is now lost at sea?
also do you realistically know how to make fire from wood?
Hmmm

If the ship is lost at sea then we cannot collect any resources from the ship. We have to rely on the island for resources. Any resources such as broken wood.

To get familiar with the island we leave stones as trail. If we ever get lost we can find our way back.

No idea how to make fire. O_o I heard rubbing twigs together might work.

format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
A squirrel can be a fine meal madam.
How are you supposed to cook it? Eat it raw? You would get sick.

Ansariyah
08-08-2009, 08:40 PM
+o(

thetruth2009
08-08-2009, 08:43 PM
If I am injured

1) I will clean it with water

2) or I try to finf Honey

3) As I have no choice I will eat everything

Grofica

actually i have eatten both... with sweet and sour sauce (no joke) placed on a sqewer... bbq... you would never know what they were... (i sure didnt or i prob. would not have eatten it)

looking back on it i prob. would not have eatten half the stuff i have... I am guessing no S&S sauce on the island but if i was hungry... shoot... there are always wild fruits and veggies make it into a stew... you can really eat anything in stew...

as far as being hurt... thats a tuff one... best thing PROB... would be to coterize it if you had fire... and then clean it really well and ditch the clothes with blood...

جوري
I can make fire from glass using the sun, no idea how it is done from firewood really...
I am not sure many here (including myself) can survive more than a week under these circumstances...

Clover
08-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I am willing to say I could. I mean, it isn't so much as circumstances as how far you are willing to push yourself. It resembles weight lifting a lot, to be honest.

Grofica
08-08-2009, 08:45 PM
rofl.. this reminds me of a voltaire story I once read.. I guess each friend can sacrifice a body part per day.. :skeleton: ;D
woooooooooo now.... im the leader remember... that means i would give last... that also means i would be the fastest he he he he he he...

جوري
08-08-2009, 08:46 PM
actually i have eatten both... with sweet and sour sauce (no joke) placed on a sqewer... bbq... you would never know what they were... (i sure didnt or i prob. would not have eatten it)

looking back on it i prob. would not have eatten half the stuff i have... I am guessing no S&S sauce on the island but if i was hungry... shoot... there are always wild fruits and veggies make it into a stew... you can really eat anything in stew...

as far as being hurt... thats a tuff one... best thing PROB... would be to coterize it if you had fire... and then clean it really well and ditch the clothes with blood...

I really think you'd do well... you don't seem like the sort to break down or complain but shift into survival mode right away..

would you sleep standing up, like dig yourself a ditch and sleep in it if you couldn't build yourself a place in time and were afraid of wildlife and death of exposure at night?

GuestFellow
08-08-2009, 08:49 PM
I can make fire from glass using the sun, no idea how it is done from firewood really...
I am not sure many here (including myself) can survive more than a week under these circumstances...
lol I would go crazy and die. XD

Though I'm a good swimmer...that is the only skill I can think I am really good at and it still does not have any practical use on a Island.

thetruth2009
08-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I think its about Mental strengh, if a personn wants to survive.

You have to fight everyday for survive

Grofica
08-08-2009, 08:53 PM
I really think you'd do well... you don't seem like the sort to break down or complain but shift into survival mode right away..

would you sleep standing up, like dig yourself a ditch and sleep in it if you couldn't build yourself a place in time and were afraid of wildlife and death of exposure at night?
well i might complain... (alot) but i dont think i would break down... I survived my parents for 15 years (until i moved out on my own) i think i survive one little island... Im not really sure where i would sleep... i mean i have slept in a fox hole before... its not that fun and it always creeped me out... it feels like your sitting in a grave... (ewwwwwwwww) and yes that creeps me out more then the rat... when my dad use to take me out we just slept on the ground in a sleeping bad... i never liked tents... but now that i am older more things scare me... i think i have seen too many wild cat and bear attacks... :nervous:

one thing i could not do... is did you see that movie with tom hanks... where he pulls out his tooth i was like :cry::cry::cry::cry:

جوري
08-08-2009, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
lol I would go crazy and die. XD

Though I'm a good swimmer...that is the only skill I can think I am really good at and it still does not have any practical use on a Island.

yeah that is useful at least in catching fist.. you can make a spear from a tree and an arrow shaped rock if you worked on it a little, then go into the water and hunt for one fish at a time... I can't swim for more than five minutes and then would probably panic if I were in ten feet of water and got tired.. so I'd probably stick with crawly crabs or shellfish on the shore or something small that is easy to catch with a necklace and some bait...

I guess the other thing to do is gather enough leaves for a huge fire in case they send out planes I can light them for them to spot me but to be honest I don't know how to make fire the good old fashioned way...

جوري
08-08-2009, 09:02 PM
well i might complain... (alot) but i dont think i would break down... I survived my parents for 15 years (until i moved out on my own)
lol

Clover
08-08-2009, 09:02 PM
yeah that is useful at least in catching fist.. you can make a spear from a tree and an arrow shaped rock if you worked on it a little, then go into the water and hunt for one fish at a time... I can't swim for more than five minutes and then would probably panic if I were in ten feet of water and got tired.. so I'd probably stick with crawly crabs or shellfish on the shore or something small that is easy to catch with a necklace and some bait...

I guess the other thing to do is gather enough leaves for a huge fire in case they send out planes I can light them for them to spot me but to be honest I don't know how to make fire the good old fashioned way...
You mean with 2 twigs? That is easy! Everyone knows that, I mean really. Want me to explain or find a site for it?

جوري
08-08-2009, 09:03 PM
no sites just explain it..

جوري
08-08-2009, 09:04 PM
p.s as a side note, I really think Ramadan prepares us for many mental and physical hardships at least once a year...

:w:

Clover
08-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Take 2 twigs, that are thick enough you can't snap them with your fingers, and get a piece of bark, hopefully like 4-5 inches long, make sure its kinda thick, but you can wrap it. Wrap it around the two twigs in the center, and then use your hands to rub up and down super fast, and make sure your doing this on a pile of shredded/crumpled dry leaves, and that worked for my cousins when we did it.

GuestFellow
08-08-2009, 09:37 PM

I would be worried to dive in the sea. Jellyfish and poisonous seashell are dangerous.

If you did catch fish, how would you eat it? I haven't got a clue. I would stick with coconuts and insects. :p

crayon
08-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Oh wow, I dont' even want to say what the first thing I thought of was.. I can be such a ditz sometimes...:embarrass

I'd find some way to get freshwater. Either from a river or pond or whatever. Then I'd make my shelter as close to there as possible, in the shade of the trees. And for food I'd just explore the forest for berries, fruits, and nuts.
I've always found those survival kind of novels interesting- life of pi, lord of the flies, etc.

alcurad
08-08-2009, 10:09 PM
play rockXpaperXscissors, bwahaha.

aadil77
08-08-2009, 10:09 PM
lol I'd try and guess what salah time it is and pray to Allah that He will provide for us and keep us safe and get us home safely

then judging by how much time left till sunset I would try nd get a shelter ready befor darkness, get some fruits, freshwater, set up fire

I'm thinkin of Bear Gryls Born survivor

Woodrow
08-08-2009, 11:00 PM
What an idyllic setting. I would love it. A person can live at least a few days without water and should be able to live a week with out food. the first priority is shelter. A simple shelter can be made with just a pile of grasses and leafs. Make a big pile and burrow into it at night. It is not the Hilton but will keep you warm at night. That will suffice for day one. Day two the priority is water.Most small islands will not have a usable water source. Look to the sea, while you can not drink sea water you can easily distill fresh water from it. Dig a small hole above the salt spray zone. You can recognize that as grasses will be growing. Use any container available to carry water to the hole Cover the hole with first a layer of twigs and over that grasses. As the sun heats the ground the water will evaporate and some will condense on the grasses. every few hours grab a hand full of the grass and squeeze out the condensed water, into each others hands if need be. It is frustrating, but before long you will get the knack and discover you have a slow but endless water supply.

Now we can think of food. You are on an island. Sea life is a banquet. Look in the tidal pools and you will find an abundance of shell fish, crabs etc. all of which can be eaten au-natruale, think sushi you would pay a fortune for this gourmet feast in any Japanese restaurant. You will also find kelp, and sea lettuce in the tidal pool. Quick rule of thumb if it is a sea plant and green in color it won't kill you to eat it. But be cautious of any red or brown plants unless you have lived on the sea and know your sea weed.

Ok, we are going to survive. now each day we do our best to improve what we have, try different means of starting fires without matches. It is actually simple if you ever took any survival training or lived in the woods or grew up as a farm boy who used to sneak off to try to smoke corn silk.

As you learn to live with the land, you will discover it will feed and clothe you and take care of you. All that is asked is you remember Allaah(swt) and do your best to live the most pious life possible.

Once you have secured your survival, form plans to contact any would be rescuers. Dig out messages in the beach sand, Prepare signal fires to light, Look for shiny rocks to pile in piles in hopes a passing ship will see them glistening in the sun light.

Now, sit back, enjoy the pleasures that surround you and give thanks to Allaah(swt) Until you are rescued, enjoy your stay on the Island and be grateful for this time to really enjoy life.

جوري
08-08-2009, 11:08 PM
^^^^^ that is what I am talking about.. if you are gonna be lost, be lost with a pro..
br woodrow.. hats off ..

جوري
08-09-2009, 12:02 AM
I just saw the watercone vid.. brilliant just brilliant and very humanitarian.. I can't believe people still die of cholera in this day and age..
Africa always breaks my heart but inspires me a place of strength and beauty!...

Banu_Hashim
08-09-2009, 12:24 AM
This reminds me of the film "Castaway". Having read uncle Woodrow's post I'd probably do exactly what he suggested! Excellent advice.

What about rainwater that has collected on leaves and the like; is that fresh water? Building a fire probably takes a bit of time and patience, so best to take care of shelter and essential food and drinking requirements first.

Banu_Hashim
08-09-2009, 12:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alpha dude
:sl:
Really? Seeing as you're american, i'd have thought the first thing you'd try would be to ring 911 :p
:lol:

The Ruler
08-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Re-enact the Lord of the Flies. One protagonist, one antagonist, the other... is food.

Banu_Hashim
08-09-2009, 12:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
Re-enact the Lord of the Flies. One protagonist, one antagonist, the other... is food.
Ahh... memories of reading Lord of the Flies in school. I felt sorry for the kid with the glasses, can't remember his name. Piggy? Or pig-man or something like that?

The Ruler
08-09-2009, 12:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
Ahh... memories of reading Lord of the Flies in school. I felt sorry for the kid with the glasses, can't remember his name. Piggy? Or pig-man or something like that?
Actually I've never read the book. I was told of the story by a friend, and thought that it wouldn't be a bad idea to re-enact it. Afterall, the kids in the movie did a very poor job of it. Or so I heard.

Banu_Hashim
08-09-2009, 12:54 AM
I think there's been a 1960's movie made out of the book. They should make a new modern film. That would be awesome. It's more about leadership struggles, survival of the fittest, bullying etc. rather than survival tips, as far as I can remember.

جوري
08-09-2009, 01:00 AM
good to be wrecked with adults not children... you'll have the element against you and your wit for guide.. vs little egos.. in which case it will be amateurs and the element against you.. in all likelihood you'll end up killing someone early on to survive, and that is just mentally taxing :lol:

Banu_Hashim
08-09-2009, 01:06 AM
lol, yes. I'd make sure I'm with with no small children before I get shipwrecked.

The Ruler
08-09-2009, 01:13 AM
with two friends what will you do first and how long do you think you can survive
So long as you don't befriend toddlers, you're good to go.

جوري
08-09-2009, 01:27 AM
woooooooooo now.... im the leader remember... that means i would give last... that also means i would be the fastest he he he he he he...
you'd be the slowest if you've been gorging on everyone else for days but they'd definitely be slowed down from shock and blood loss .. so I see your point ...

alcurad
08-09-2009, 01:30 AM
marry into the locals, and make them do all the work until the ships arrive :/

Bint-Al-Islam
08-10-2009, 03:31 AM
Friend 1: Would go look 4 food..
Friend 2: Would go look 4 fresh water...
Me: Would built shelter 2 stay, then go explore the Island and enjoy, relax by the beach :D

- IqRa -
08-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Phone my private jet to come and take us back.

Woodrow
08-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Although I know I would survive and actually enjoy being stranded on a remote Island. I must confess I do not have the survival skill to survive in a large city. I doubt I would last 2 days if I was stranded in say New York or London.

Banu_Hashim
08-10-2009, 08:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Although I know I would survive and actually enjoy being stranded on a remote Island. I must confess I do not have the survival skill to survive in a large city. I doubt I would last 2 days if I was stranded in say New York or London.
If you're stranded in east London and you can speak Bengali you're good to go :P

Eric H
08-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Hello Gossamer skye;

you're ship wrecked on a remote Island
I would look for the nearest McDonalds, they are every where.

Eric

abdussattar
05-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Sorry for hijacking this thread , but....

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/h...-shipwreck.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.