/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone studing pre-med or studing to be a doctor of some sort

ayan333
08-09-2009, 09:14 PM
:sl:

I have alot of question and i hope i can get them answered her InshALLAH.

I changed my major from Education to Pre-Med.Although im very excited im equally as worried.I have alot of question.

1. i was planning on studing Islam and become a teacher/scholar in that field but my parents refused to let me study aboard so i decided to go to my second choice.it might sound ridiculous but i feel guilty.i feel like i left studying Islam for some modern job that pays in material to quick.should i rethink my decision before its too late?

2. are you studing medicine and what advice do you have for a freshmen whose juts getting into the field.

3.medical school is very expensive.how did you pay for it with out getting a loan or paying Ribba?

4.It takes about 8 years on averga to become a physician.is it worth it

JazakALLAH Khair

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AnonymousPoster
08-10-2009, 02:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayan333

I have alot of question and i hope i can get them answered her InshALLAH.

I changed my major from Education to Pre-Med.Although im very excited im equally as worried.I have alot of question.
go ahead insha'Allah and ask on this thread!
1. i was planning on studing Islam and become a teacher/scholar in that field but my parents refused to let me study aboard so i decided to go to my second choice.it might sound ridiculous but i feel guilty.i feel like i left studying Islam for some modern job that pays in material to quick.should i rethink my decision before its too late?
There is no reason you can't be both.. focus on the most difficult first which is medicine. It will change your lifestyle and discipline you so you approach everything with that level of fidelity!

2. are you studing medicine and what advice do you have for a freshmen whose juts getting into the field.
I have recently graduated.
are you in England or the U.S
only two programs in the U.S offer medicine straight, the rest you'll likely need an undergrad or at least two years toward a bachelors. I'd advise (if you were in the U.S) to get an undergrad, just in case medical school proves to be taxing, you'll still have a bachelors of science!
3.medical school is very expensive.how did you pay for it with out getting a loan or paying Ribba?
That can prove difficult. I have taken some loans, then quit, and relied on family, then worked it out so that I'd seek credit cards that would give me 0% APR for 12 or 15 months, then switched as the period was about to be expire and found other means.. You can work at the same time to support some of your expenses but I don't recommend it. Some folks find Muslims to sponsor them and then pay them back. but mostly people either make major sacrifices and live on what their family can afford them or they take loans. If you are going to do that look into Islamic banking..

4.It takes about 8 years on averga to become a physician.is it worth it
Only you can be the judge of that.. it is a matter of priorities but many people do it.. there are many Muslims in Medicine. Just know that it isn't a casual study course you'll have to dedicate every night of your life to studying..

JazakALLAH Khair

wa'iyaki

:w:

ayan333
08-10-2009, 04:34 PM

Oh wow so your finished with medical school.MashALLAH!!!

Im in the U.S so yes im starting my undergrad courses next week InshALLAH.

what did you major in? Im majoring in Biology.

what college(s) did you attend and which ones would you recommend in the u.s?

JazakALLAH Khair in advance

transition?
08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Pray Istikarah?
The world should never stop you from learning about Islam, whatever career you have. Every Muslim has a duty to knowledge even if you don't become a scholar.
With technology, there are great resources at your fingertips. You can study fiqh, usul, hadiths, qur'an through them.

Get one of those princeton reviews books on Getting into Medical School
Research on medical schools you take interest in, see what they are looking for and plan your courses according to their criteria and the courses you need to do well on the MCAT

Medical College of Georgia is lots more cheaper than for in state residents.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AnonymousPoster
08-10-2009, 11:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayan333

Oh wow so your finished with medical school.MashALLAH!!!

Im in the U.S so yes im starting my undergrad courses next week InshALLAH.

what did you major in? Im majoring in Biology.

what college(s) did you attend and which ones would you recommend in the u.s?

JazakALLAH Khair in advance

I majored in biology too, and did some masters in molecular bio but I quit six months into it for med school. I went to the local university of NY. I didn't want to leave home, nonetheless it really doesn't matter where you go so long as you are accepted somewhere. You obviously have to apply to as many as possible to increase your chances of getting in. SUNY at downstate had quite a few sisters studying medicine, it may have changed since but you might really like it there as it was filled with Arabs and Jews.
where ever you go, it will be a ton of hard work. You'll be married to your studies. I recommend if you are seeking to be married, to marry someone in the same field for many reasons.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.