/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Hides Pork in Soup

Scotty
08-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Hello,

I hope that you can help me in my dilema.

It may be obvious which foods contain pork, but when you order tomato soup at a restaurant you would expect just that. Rather than tasting it and realising its rather meat like. It appeared to be a normal bowl of tomato soup yet it had some small lumps in.

I was praying that it was sliced chicken or turkey...

I approached the chef and asked him, he stated its bacon and he always puts it in his tomato soup. I double checked the menu and it had no mention of pork. When i explained my dietry requirements he claimed that tomato soup always has pork in, I beg to differ.

As i am a UK citizen and it is a UK company, what are my options.

Any information in regards to this situation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you all,

Scott

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
08-10-2009, 01:14 PM
stop having the soup if you are a muslim

UmmSqueakster
08-10-2009, 01:17 PM
I always always always ask if a dish is vegetarian if I'm eating at a non zabiha restaurant. It takes all of 2 seconds to ask, then another minute for the waiter to check if they don't know. Not a big deal.

Snowflake
08-10-2009, 01:40 PM
As i am a UK citizen and it is a UK company, what are my options.

Any information in regards to this situation will be greatly appreciated.
The menu is misleading. Call Trading Standards.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rpwelton
08-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Definitely always ask. As a Muslim in a western country, you can never be too careful with these things. Also watch out for derivatives (lard, gelatin, etc).

NoorInaya
08-10-2009, 03:24 PM
When eating in a non-zabihah restaurant, you should always ask if the soup is truly vegetarian. If the wait person says that they are unsure, ask them to please go to the kitchen to find out for you, as you cannot eat meat (don't even bother to explain the whole zabihah thing with them).

It should be noted that not all ingredients must be given on a menu. This is due the fact that this is proprietary information, and in this restaurant's case, the bacon may be their "secret ingredient." For people who have no dietary restrictions, this causes no issue at all, and they do not even think of it. But for Muslims, Jews, and vegetarians, this becomes a big issue. Just ask if it contains meat.

Another soup to watch out for: clam chowder. It commonly has bacon in it. Always ask before ordering clam chowder.

Also, many soups use chicken stock as a base. Broccoli cheese soup, for example, uses chicken stock, rather than vegetable stock. Ask before ordering.

You should also ask about the sauces being put on foods. Even if you are sticking to just fish and veggies, the sauces may have animal stock or alcohol in them.

Just always always always ask when eating out at non-zabihah restaurants! People just don't think, and they are really not meaning any ill. They are just simply not thinking.

wasalaamz,

NoorInaya
08-10-2009, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
Definitely always ask. As a Muslim in a western country, you can never be too careful with these things. Also watch out for derivatives (lard, gelatin, etc).
Definitely about the lard! If you are eating at a Mexican restaurant, be sure to ask them what they prepare their food with. Ask specifically, "do you use MANTECA (man-tay-ka)?" Manteca is the spanish for lard (which is pig fat, for those who are not sure). If you ask "lard," they still may be unsure.

My hubby and I were in the food court area of Grand Central Station in New York City, looking for a "safe" place to eat. We saw Mexican food. I walked up and asked the men at the counter (all Latinos) if they used lard. They looked a bit puzzled, and said, "no..." I said, "manteca?" Their faces brightened and they said, "oh yes! manteca! We use manteca!"

You can never be too safe.......

markislam
08-11-2009, 01:17 PM
very sorry to hear all this from restaurants

Misz_Muslimah
08-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Always Ask The Chef What Hes Gonna Put In The Soup When Your Ordering.

جوري
08-11-2009, 05:03 PM
I have never heard of pork in tomato soup..
I remember once I was in this bread and soup restaurant with a friend and ordered potato soup (which came with bacon) and I returned it, and they brought the manager out to apologize (since I had asked in the beginning about soups that have no bacon) but believe it or not I didn't mention potato soup (I was going to order onion soup but changed my mind last minute) so technically it was my fault. The bottom line is there is such a thing as the customer is always right ''apparently with this economy they are not interested in your business'' and would rather add insult to injury. I'd not eat there and I'd make sure that some authority is notified, from what I gather it isn't just Muslims who have certain dietary restrictions, but practically anyone observant. Hindus, sikhs, Jews, Muslims.. you can't pass unacceptable material in your foods and not report so that the patrons know exactly what they are getting...

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.