/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid feeling hungry all the time?

syilla
08-11-2009, 05:43 AM
:salamext:

I'm so jealous of those who don't feel like eating because i feel like eating all the time... and sometimes i think i over indulge.

I monitor my calories intake everyday...and yeah... most of the times it is more than 1200kcal. I just couldn't maintain my calories intake :heated:

Please share your tips on how you can eat less but at the same time not feeling hungry.

imsad help! :phew

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Santoku
08-11-2009, 11:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla

I'm so jealous of those who don't feel like eating because i feel like eating all the time... and sometimes i think i over indulge.

I monitor my calories intake everyday...and yeah... most of the times it is more than 1200kcal. I just couldn't maintain my calories intake :heated:

Please share your tips on how you can eat less but at the same time not feeling hungry.

Firstly: get a good breakfast. Something which provides long burn energy like porridge, muesli, etc.

Secondly: tests have shown that if you liquidise our meals into a thick soup you feel fuller for longer. If you can't liquidise the a good substitute is to chew very thoroughly. Old Chinese proverb:- Eats your drinks and drink your food.

Third: Eat slowly it takes 20 minutes for the receptors in the stomache to signal you have eaten enough, so have something low calorie about fifteen minutes before your meal - say a carrot.

Four: Protein makes you feel fuller for longer so a low calorie protein shake (stay away from the sugared one and the bodybuilder ones especially are loaded with calories.

Hope that helps

- IqRa -
08-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Drink lots of juice with vitamins in it

Blackpool
08-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Easy answer. Eat plenty of fruit, vegetables and salads. They contain a massive amount of fibre which keep you feeling full. Not only that the calories are very low. Drink PLENTY of water as it also helps you to feel full.
If you fancy a snack, grab a banana and an apple. Once you have eaten it you will instantly feel satisfied. This is the way I eat.

1. Fruit
2. Vegetables
3. Salads
4. Plenty of water

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Xiaus
08-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Ok, I know you're probably looking for proper scientific info but I don't think it's an effective approach when it comes to eating just 'cause you're bored. Anyway, I tend to drink water with really, really, minty gum or just plain peppermints because that cooling sensation it gives tends to put me back in perspective as well as cool my stomach off and make me feel fuller almost instantly. I drink about 3/4 of a 500ml bottle and have 2 pieces of gum so that works out roughly 30 calories for feeling satisfied and being healthier in the long run as opposed to consuming 500 calories in crisps or a load of chocolate which won't even keep you going for longer than 2 hours!

It works for me during Ramadan at 'iftar/suhoor and those boring days when I have nothing better to do than watch daytime TV and dream of chips. :D

Blackpool
08-11-2009, 11:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Xiaus
Ok, I know you're probably looking for proper scientific info but I don't think it's an effective approach when it comes to eating just 'cause you're bored. Anyway, I tend to drink water with really, really, minty gum or just plain peppermints because that cooling sensation it gives tends to put me back in perspective as well as cool my stomach off and make me feel fuller almost instantly. I drink about 3/4 of a 500ml bottle and have 2 pieces of gum so that works out roughly 30 calories for feeling satisfied and being healthier in the long run as opposed to consuming 500 calories in crisps or a load of chocolate which won't even keep you going for longer than 2 hours!

It works for me during Ramadan at 'iftar/suhoor and those boring days when I have nothing better to do than watch daytime TV and dream of chips. :D
You should use those moments to eat fruit and maybe some vegetables. Get some vitamins inside you. By doing so, it helps prevent you from overeating when it comes to your tea.

Fibre, fibre, fibre! :p

Xiaus
08-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Well, I don't over-eat at all since I adhere to a healthy lifestyle but I do have moments of weakness when junk food gives off a dangerous glow that I can only put out by eating it ASAP. We are mere mortals, after all! So I suggested that trick to the sister because I thought her issue was more one of eating to fill time rather than to fill her stomach out of necessity. I find that eating out of boredom to be the biggest obstacle when you're monitoring your diet. It's definitely not a short-term fix but it does distract the mind from temptation.

Oh and, I am a fresh-fruit aficianado but NEVER vegetables. Unless they come in a burger, of course. ;D

convert
08-11-2009, 12:19 PM
1200 calories is really low, are you starving yourself?

Blackpool
08-11-2009, 12:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
That would depend on her height, build and age...

convert
08-11-2009, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
That would depend on her height, build and age...
Well, unless she is 4'10, 85lbs and lounges around on a couch all day, that is *very* low.

S_87
08-11-2009, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
low? :?

Sister, around half an hour before you eat a meal drink a pin of water..thatll fill you right up.

and if you feel hungry drink milk, its filling..also stuff like bananas and apples..substitute that as a snack rather than more fatty things youre eating.

also are you just paranoid or is your weight average?
oh and the way i avoid eating is if im hungry i tell myself ill get fat if i eat more and it works..most of the time and theres nothing wrong with eating something that you enjoy, just dont eat tooooo much of it, but then dont deprive yourself of it totally either. :)

Misz_Muslimah
08-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Make Dua 2 Allah As Allah Is Da Onlyy 1 Whoo Can Tke Dat Feelin Awayy 4Rom Youu

- IqRa -
08-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Enuf wiv da txt spk alredy

If you fancy a snack, grab a banana and an apple.
also stuff like bananas and apples..substitute that as a snack rather than more fatty things youre eating.
A warning: Banana's increase your sexual drive, so try not to eat them, but substitute them for other food (if you're not married, of course)

Allaah Knows
08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Wa`alaykum salaam wa rahmatuLlaah,

How do you try and get someone who doesn't eat anything to eat something?

Wassalaam

- IqRa -
08-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Junk Food.

Allaah Knows
08-11-2009, 02:40 PM
And if that doesn't work?

Soulja Girl
08-11-2009, 02:43 PM
:sl:

What if you don't feel like eatin anyfin but Junk? :?

:wa:

Allaah Knows
08-11-2009, 02:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

What if you don't feel like eatin anyfin but Junk? :?

Join the gang? ;)

- IqRa -
08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allaah Knows
And if that doesn't work?
Asian food.

S_87
08-11-2009, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allaah Knows

How do you try and get someone who doesn't eat anything to eat something?

Wassalaam
whats their reason for not eating?

Crazy lady, eating too much junk will catch up with you in the end...moderation :p

Soulja Girl
08-11-2009, 05:55 PM

^Hehe, sometimes I eat too much which scares me. :X

I'm not sure, but there's a Hadith or somefin which says that when you eat more than you have to, it's disliked by Allah... :embarrass

Faye
08-11-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't really eat at proper times, but only when I'm hungry, so I end up eating a lot when I'm bored or have nothing too do. When I'm busy, I skip a lot of meals and get very thin very fast. Then if I don't start paying attention to mealtimes, I get sick.:unhappy:

Snowflake
08-11-2009, 06:35 PM
The first thing to do is start by saying Bismillah before you begin eating, or the shaytaan eats with you. Secondly, drink a glass of water before every meal.

The rest I shall post later inshaAllah.

GuestFellow
08-11-2009, 08:31 PM

Assalmu Alikum

1. Good breakfast: - you will less likely to feel hungry if you have a proper breakfast. Porridge is really good for you in the morning. I have porridge, fruit and drink only glass of water. I have breakfast 6am and I never feel hungry 1pm. During that period have a bottle of water with you and drink reasonable amount of water if you feel hungry.

2. Find something to do: - I feel less hungry if I'm doing something or working. When my mom gets too tired I do all the remaining housework for her. I also read books and exercise (boxing). As long as you keep busy, less likely to feel hungry.

3. Water: - during the day drink reasonable amount of water. I know some people who drink too much water. Don't drink fizzy drinks, they make you thirstier.

4. Weight: - if you’re worried about your weight, I would try to worry less about it. I heard that you can actually gain weight if you worry too much about gaining weight. Try to exercise it, should burn off some calories. Before I sleep I do 20 minutes of Push ups (I sometimes forget and go to sleep). Don't eat after 8PM.

Okay this is what I do and it works for me. I'm not sure if it might work for you but I would structure my day. So I would make some sort of plan and stick with it. Plan what you are going to eat and you should be fine. Keep yourself busy and have a good breakfast.

Oh I would like to add chewing gum helps too. =)

Hope this helps.

Allaah Knows
08-11-2009, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
Asian food.
Even Kashmeeri food doesn't work. What then?

format_quote Originally Posted by amani
whats their reason for not eating?

She forgot how to, apparently.
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

^Hehe, sometimes I eat too much which scares me. :X

I'm not sure, but there's a Hadith or somefin which says that when you eat more than you have to, it's disliked by Allah... :embarrass

wa`alaykum salaam wa rahmatuLlaah

The worst vessel you can fill is your stomach.

- IqRa -
08-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Even Kashmeeri food doesn't work. What then?
Pakistani/Indian food. Very oily, fattening and tasty. You can get delicious indian food in egypt mashaAllaah.

جوري
08-13-2009, 01:30 AM
For Ramadan especially, I'd stick with protein.. someone else here suggested adding liquid to your meals, and that is actually quite wise especially in Ramadan...

I personally stick with these bars and shakes..

they taste excellent, they have a sustained release, and with 18 grams of protein, you can't go wrong.. I also supplement them with

a bar and a drink... is excellent if you are in survival mode.. whenever I had an exam or had to pull many hours of work without time for sit down dinner, that is all I lived on..

obviously you don't want to overload on proteins so you should balance that with carbs...

:w:

Hidaya
08-13-2009, 04:16 AM
Oooh, i get hungry all the time too. imsad It's not fun because after all that junk food, I get mad at myself, lol. :hmm:

Anyways, to keep yourself full most of the time, or not starve the whole day, try to eat a lot of fruits. Since fruits are mainly water, like watermelon, melon, etc, they'll keep you full:D and it's healthy as well.
My mom usually makes watermelon juice, just by blending cut up watermelon. [Or i think that's how she makes it..]
Tastes great and, i don't go hungry until dinner time. ^__^

markislam
08-13-2009, 04:43 PM
is this for ramadan ? that you feel hungry ?

Ansariyah
08-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Raisins are good for u, n they taste guud.

I can stay without food for a long time, n not get hungry. high Metabolism i guess.

syilla
08-14-2009, 02:09 AM

Sorry for not able to reply earlier... i'm too busy taking care of my sick children and myself...lol. :D . is nice to see lots of reply here in this thread :D

The truth is i'm learning to be obsessed with this calorie counting thing...so every thing that i ate i wrote it down...and i realised that is is more than 1200 (well...most of the time). At first, i was going to trick myself so i target my calorie intake should be lower than 700kcal but...that is soooooooooooo hard.

For example, like sis skye post. one bar is already 240 calories...and i can only eat 5 bar per day to make sure that it is lower than 1200 calories :uuh: i will sure be starving :hiding:

It is true that i should eat lots of fibres...but then, i need to go to the market every week...and i can't commit that. My hubby will go only when i go with him :hmm:

and about the oats... i'm a bit allergic to that. huhuhu.

I try to burn up my calories...when i've the time :hiding:

The thing (the main problem) is to discipline myself, to stock up the refrigerator with super healthy food, to know my food proportion (yeah...sometimes when its delicious i ate more than it should be), to have time for exercises and etc.

and yeah... i'm one of those small built asian lady but not slim...huhuhu. I'm still in healthy weight range... 'but' on the upper scale :p

I try my best not to be obsessed with weight stuffs (for me it is better to be happy than to think too much on reducing my weight)... but it is important for me to eat low calorie so i'll get motivated to choose a much healthier food.

I probably need more time to have a better relationship with food...huhuhu probably two years from now...huhuhu

sur
08-14-2009, 02:34 AM

I'm so jealous of those who don't feel like eating because i feel like eating all the time......
Do you get any pain in stomach (hunger pangs) that goes away as soon as you eat? Do u often get up at mid-night & feel hungry? If so you might have [U%

جوري
08-14-2009, 06:31 AM

For example, like sis skye post. one bar is already 240 calories...and i can only eat 5 bar per day to make sure that it is lower than 1200 calories :uuh: i will sure be starving :hiding:

since your calories are coming from protein (with the atkin diet) and not carbs, you should actually be sustained for a very long time on one bar which has 18 grams of protein.. it is very filling.. you won't simply feel a satisfaction for an hr and then be hungry later.. it has a sustained release rather than a peak and a decline...

that is in fact why I have recommended it with the shakes.. although again protein overload in and of itself isn't without its problems. (which are too expansive for me to get into at 2:30 am)

I simply recommend the atkin type diet for Ramadan, it doesn't have to be a bar, and a shake, but you can try eggs or beans, dates are also excellent.

and Allah swt knows best..

syilla
08-14-2009, 07:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sur
Do you get any pain in stomach (hunger pangs) that goes away as soon as you eat? Do u often get up at mid-night & feel hungry? If so you might have [U%
i'm hungry after two hours of eating hehe. nope...i'm the type who sleep through the night...and when wake up feeling guilty of not waking up for a nigh prayer. :omg:

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
since your calories are coming from protein (with the atkin diet) and not carbs, you should actually be sustained for a very long time on one bar which has 18 grams of protein.. it is very filling.. you won't simply feel a satisfaction for an hr and then be hungry later.. it has a sustained release rather than a peak and a decline...

that is in fact why I have recommended it with the shakes.. although again protein overload in and of itself isn't without its problems. (which are too expansive for me to get into at 2:30 am)

I simply recommend the atkin type diet for Ramadan, it doesn't have to be a bar, and a shake, but you can try eggs or beans, dates are also excellent.

and Allah swt knows best..

The truth i don't really like the atkin diets...hehehe. i love to eat proteins but eating those diet bars don't really work for me. I've tried that.

Eggs (even it is not easy to get those low-fat eggs hehe) and dates are already in my diets.

Thank you all for the advice. :)

p/s:- sometimes i don't slow down when i'm eating...and thats encourage my brain to think that i'm still not full. :hmm: another problem of relationship with food.

Blackpool
08-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Eat healthy, small and frequently for 6 days. Keep away from ALL junk and higher sugar, salt and calorie content for 6 days and then reward yourself on the 7th day for doing so. Use the 7th day to dulge into your favourite crap. Then resume your diet the following day for another 6 days.

abu_musab461
08-16-2009, 09:15 PM
this body is a trust (amana) from Allah for which we have to be accountable to Allah.

Take care of it.

fagp1rpp
08-25-2009, 11:57 AM
eat small six meals a day.Dont eat junk food eat strength giving food like dates,bananas milk apple adn etc.Dates are very good for excessive eating.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.