/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims in European peace drive

Uthman
08-11-2009, 06:09 PM
A groundbreaking conference for young Muslims from across Europe is taking place in Switzerland.

Delegates from seven countries have been brought together by the organisation Initiatives of Change, which has a long history of promoting peace on the continent.

In the late 1940s, it brokered meetings between those who had been on opposite sides in World War II.

Now its headquarters, high above Lake Geneva, is hosting a group of young Muslims for the first time, as they consider how to work as "peace agents" within their communities.

We are truly, we believe, duty bound to make sure that peace prevails on this planet

Shaykh Ibrahim Mogra
Muslim scholar

The organisers admit some unease within their own inter-faith peace movement about targeting a conference specifically at Muslims.

But conference convener Peter Riddell believes that all those living in Europe need to address tough questions about how Islam relates to their shared future.

"We're faced with a need to redefine what it means to be European. In many ways you could say that European culture has defined itself in opposition to Islam," he said.

"So now the challenge is, whether we're going to embrace a European culture which includes a substantial component of Muslims, or whether we're going to reject that."

'Exploring connections'

The delegates - from countries including France, the UK and Sweden - bring with them stories of how different European countries deal with their Muslim minorities.

Participants from France speak of the controversy over how Muslim women cover their head; British delegates discuss their irritation at the frequent popular association of Islam with terrorism.

The main Muslim speaker at the event, Ajmal Masroor, says that the conference is about exploring the connections between faith and European identity.

"We're finding a common thread that binds them. Every one of them is very happy to be a European citizen - a citizen of their own country - but to remain a good and loyal Muslim."

As participants sit on a lawn overlooking Lake Geneva following a time of prayer, Mr Masroor tells them that they should be confident about engaging in charitable or political work in their local communities.

"Go back and revive and reclaim the culture of peace which has been the foundation of our faith," he tells them.

Delegates have brought stories about their experiences living in Europe

One of the visiting scholars, Shaykh Ibrahim Mogra, says the event provides an important opportunity for European Muslims to recognise their own diversity.

The participants come from a range of African, Middle Eastern and Asian family backgrounds.

Many are students; others are in full-time work, often with charities or voluntary organisations.

All here agree that Islam is a religion of peace - and Shaykh Mogra expresses irritation at any suggestion that such events are strong on rhetoric but short on practical outcomes.

"Sadly the situation for Muslims is: you're ****ed if you do, and you're ****ed if you don't. I would rather Muslims talk about peace, and try and become peacemakers, than listen to all the nonsense about Muslims being terrorists and violent extremists.

"We are truly, we believe, duty-bound to make sure that peace prevails on this planet."

European identity

The conference involves various sessions designed to equip participants with skills for promoting peace - both in their everyday relationships and at a community level.

During one debate, delegates were encouraged to consider all points of view in some of the arguments about what constitutes European identity.

Discussing the freedoms afforded to Muslim women, and the compatibility of democracy and Islam, they explored areas of tension between some interpretations of Islam and prevailing European attitudes.

One session, on the search for inner peace, saw delegates sitting in a circle and being invited to share with others their own personal barriers to living a peaceful life.

This combination of orthodox Islamic teaching and multi-faith spirituality is an unusual mix - but it is one the organisers believe reflects the complex European society in which these young Muslims live.

The final days of the conference give the Muslim delegates a chance to try out their new-found skills with their European neighbours.

They will join 150 other delegates, from other faith backgrounds and none, to consider how to promote peacemaking in today's world.

The participants are determined that they have not simply been taking part in an idyllically-situated talking shop with no practical outcome.

But the rise of far-right politics in some European countries demonstrates that Muslims have some way to go to persuade Europe's non-Muslim majority that Islam will contribute to a peaceful European future.

Young Muslims are learning how to become "peace agents"

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
08-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Shaykh Ibrahim Mogra is from Leicester:shade:

Its not about spreading peace and all that pacifist stuff, people have got to be taught islam properly

GuestFellow
08-11-2009, 07:33 PM
I don't think this is going work.

Al-Zaara
08-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Sounds wonderful, inshaAllah it is successful.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Suomipoika
08-12-2009, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
"We're faced with a need to redefine what it means to be European. In many ways you could say that European culture has defined itself in opposition to Islam," he said.

"Sadly the situation for Muslims is: you're ****ed if you do, and you're ****ed if you don't. I would rather Muslims talk about peace, and try and become peacemakers, than listen to all the nonsense about Muslims being terrorists and violent extremists.
I'm not sure further demonisation of European culture of being against Islam and somekind of need to redefine the European culture and wallowing in the the victim mentality, is something that will improve the situation. Considering the offense some seem to take from attempts to redefine Islam to fit better with "West" this line of thought seems somewhat ironical, I wonder if Peter sees redifining Islam as viable option.

But the rise of far-right politics in some European countries demonstrates that Muslims have some way to go to persuade Europe's non-Muslim majority that Islam will contribute to a peaceful European future.
Best way of this would be honestly addressing the problems with multiculturalism, current bad policies and racism towards non-muslims, locals, immigrants and muslims alike. I feel bitterness over (perceived) stupidity and unfair treatment is a large factor why far-right politics is on such a rise thus muslims discussing how muslims or immigrants from muslim countries (possibly) fuel such bitterness due to their behaviour and how to prevent it wouldn't be a bad idea either.

aamirsaab
08-14-2009, 11:47 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Adill77
Shaykh Ibrahim Mogra is from Leicester
From Umar mosque? Yes, he's brilliant.

format_quote Originally Posted by Suomipoika
Best way of this would be honestly addressing the problems with multiculturalism, current bad policies and racism towards non-muslims, locals, immigrants and muslims alike.
Multiculturalism WORKS. Visit Leicester anytime you want and you'll see proof of this.

I commend the European peace drive; it's a proactive step that certain non-muslims keep asking for. So here is your cake.

Suomipoika
08-14-2009, 08:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Multiculturalism WORKS. Visit Leicester anytime you want and you'll see proof of this.
I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm not against multiculturalism, actually I think properly implemented it's something I'd like to live in. However problems around it are being purposefully belittled and ignored. UK being the country that takes seven year old to court due to a fight with another boy of his age or schoolgirl to police station for fingerprinting because she doesn't want to be in a group where she doesn't understand a word along with Europe's second highest rape rates after Sweden, white flight, terrorism and so forth. I'm not too sure I'd be so proud of British multiculturalism. If multiculturalism works so greatly in the UK, why is the BNP from there?

I commend the European peace drive; it's a proactive step that certain non-muslims keep asking for. So here is your cake.
As a first step it's great. But I'm tired of everything being the "white man's" fault. And from the article, I don't think the approach and discussion was in anyway honest or what is really needed. It's just the usual ignoring problems.

aamirsaab
08-14-2009, 09:32 PM
...I'm not too sure I'd be so proud of British multiculturalism. If multiculturalism works so greatly in the UK, why is the BNP from there?
There are racist right wingers in all countries. BNP are just more known in the west. Why they exist in a multicultural society however is because they have a problem with anyone not white.

...And from the article, I don't think the approach and discussion was in anyway honest or what is really needed.
I would argue that it is needed and was honest. People in general do not know a thing about Islam and muslims are continually told to ''integrate'' in to the community, so here you go critics: we're making the first move - so you cannot complain that muslims are not doing enough: we are and this is your proof. If you aren't satisfied, then that's your problem - not muslims.

It's just the usual ignoring problems.
What problems would you like addressed?

GuestFellow
08-14-2009, 09:55 PM
If multiculturalism works so greatly in the UK, why is the BNP from there?
Because they are racist.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.