/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Words Of WISDOM

أبو سليمان عمر
08-12-2009, 04:36 AM
Asalamu wa alaykum i wanted to make a thread to wise sayings of the salaf and the great scholars inshallah pls add reference where the saying was said
May Allah increase us all in eman Ameen

I'll start it off inshallah

There is no comparison between one who has knowledge and one who does not...

The Shaykh (rahima-hullaah) mentions:

((There is no comparison between one who has knowledge and one who does not, just as there is no comparison between the living and the dead, and one who hears and one who is deaf, and one who can see and one who is blind.

Knowledge is light with which one is guided, and with it removes one from the darkness (of ignorance) to the light (of knowledge, i.e. Islaam).

With knowledge, Allaah raises the ranks of whom He wishes from His creation:

{Allaah will exalt in degree those of you who believe, and those who have been granted knowledge}, [Soorah al-Mujaadalah, Aayah 11].))

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
Kitaabul-'Ilm

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Clover
08-12-2009, 04:37 AM
Are we allowed to put in Non-Muslim Wisdom?

أبو سليمان عمر
08-12-2009, 04:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Clover
Are we allowed to put in Non-Muslim Wisdom?
No i perfer not only from the pious predecessors (as-Salaf as-Saaleh) and the great scholars of islam

Clover
08-12-2009, 04:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umar^111
No i perfer not only from the pious predecessors (as-Salaf as-Saaleh) and the great scholars of islam
ok. I would advise to find Wisdom in all beliefs, their is wisdom in everything if you ask me. I am going to make a topic, related to this, for Non-Islamic Wisdom, I will give you credit for inspiring me, so no worries.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
أبو سليمان عمر
08-12-2009, 05:19 AM
It was reported by Ibn al Qayyim in his book: "Rawdatul Muhibeen", I was informed by my Sheikh (Ibn Taymiyyah), he said: When I became sick the doctor said to me: Verily your research and Islamic lecturing increases your illness. I (Ibn Taymiyyah) replied: I can not stop, and I will debate you in your knowledge! If a person becomes happy and joyful doesn't this strengthen their soul or spirit, and as a result wards off illness? The doctor responded: Of course. So I (Ibn Taymiyyah) said: Verily my spirit is pleased with knowledge and it strengthens my nature and due to that I find relaxation. The doctor responded: This is something our knowledge doesn't apply to.

أبو سليمان عمر
08-12-2009, 05:21 AM
All humans are dead except those who have knowledge; and all those who have knowledge are asleep, except those who do good deeds; and those who do good deeds are deceived, except those who are sincere; and those who are sincere are always in a state of worry. Imam ash-Shafi'i [rahimahullah]
inshallah have to remember where i found this one

أبو سليمان عمر
08-13-2009, 03:54 AM
The innovators are like scorpions...

Imaam al-Barbahaaree (rahima-hullaah) mentions:

((The innovators are like scorpions.

They bury their heads and bodies in the sand and leave their tails out.

When they get the chance they sting; the same with the innovators who conceal themselves amongst the people, when they are able, they do what they desire)).

Reported in ((Tabaqaatul-Hanaabilah)) - Volume 2, Page 44 and ((Manhajul-Ahmad))

Sharhus-Sunnah - Imaam al-Barbahaaree

أبو سليمان عمر
08-13-2009, 04:08 AM
al-Haakim said:

((Twice I travelled to (visit) at-Toosee in Toos, and I asked him when he would be free from compiling these many fataawa? So he said: I have divided the night into three (parts): A third in which I compile (fataawa), a third in which I sleep, and a third in which I read the Qur.aan.))

Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa. – Volume 15, Page 491

http://www.fatwa-online.com/

أبو سليمان عمر
08-13-2009, 04:09 AM
Umar ibn al-Khattab, in one of his famous sayings said “Judge yourselves before you are judged, evaluate yourselves before you are evaluated and be ready for the greatest investigation (the Day of Judgement)”

“The World is three days: As for yesterday, it has vanished, along with all that was in it. As for tomorrow, you may never see it. As for today, it is yours, so work in it.” (Hassan al-Basri)

أبو سليمان عمر
08-16-2009, 08:53 PM
During his Caliphate, ‘Alî b. Abî Tâlib – Allah be pleased with him – saw some armor of his with a Christian. He decided to take the matter up legally, so he took the dispute to Shurayh (the Judge).

‘Alî said, “This is my armor, and I have not sold it nor given it away.” Shurayh said to the Christian, “What have you to say about what the Amîr of the Believers claims?” The Christian replied, “It is my armor, although I do not regard the Amîr of the Believers to be a liar.” Shurayh then turned to ‘Alî, “O Amîr of the Believers, do you have any proof (of ownership)?” ‘Alî laughed and said, “Shurayh is correct, I have no proof.” So Shurayh judged that the armor was the Christian’s. The Christian took it and began to walk away but then returned. He proclaimed, “As for me, I testify that this is the judgment of the Prophets – the Amîr of the Believers himself takes me to his judge and the judge rules against him! I bear witness that there is no deity deserving worship but Allâh and I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allâh. By Allâh, the armor is yours o Amîr of the Believers. I followed the army when you were on your way to the Battle of Siffîn and the armor came out of your equipment.” ‘Alî said, “If you have accepted Islâm the armor is yours.” And then he put him on his horse. Al-Sha’bî (the reporter of this incident) said, “I was later informed by those who saw this man that he fought the Khawârij (alongside ‘Alî) at the battle of Nahrawân.”

Ibn Kathîr, Al-Bidâyah wa Al-Nihâyah Vol.8 p5.

أبو سليمان عمر
08-18-2009, 05:56 AM
Concerning the Imaam, the Shaykh - Muhammad ibn Saalih al-'Uthaymeen (rahima-hullaah), it has been narrated by Ihsaan ibn Muhammad al-'Utaybee:

"After having prayed in al-Haram al-Makkee, the Shaykh left the Haram wanting to go somewhere by car. So he stopped a taxi and sat in. During the journey, the taxi driver wanted to get to know his passenger, so he asked: "Who are you O Shaykh?"

The Shaykh replied: "Muhammad ibn 'Uthaymeen"

Surprised, the taxi driver asked: "Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen?", thinking the Shaykh was lying to him, since he could not believe someone like the Shaykh would ever be a passenger in his taxi.

So the Shaykh replied: "Yes, the Shaykh"

So the taxi driver turned his head towards the Shaykh out of sheer surprise at this fare.

The Shaykh then asked: "Who are you O brother?"

So the taxi driver replied: "Shaykh 'Abdul-'Azeez ibn Baaz!!"

The Shaykh laughed, enquiring: "You're Shaykh 'Abdul-'Azeez ibn Baaz?!!!"

The taxi driver replied: "Yeah! just like you're Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen!!!"

So the Shaykh said: "But Shaykh 'Abdul-'Azeez ibn Baaz is blind, and does not drive a car!!

Just then it dawned upon the taxi driver that the passenger sitting next to him was indeed the Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen. And what a fine mess he had got himself into now!"

Safahaat Mushriqah min Hayaat al-Imaam Muhammad ibn Saalih al-'Uthaymeen - Page 79
Ref: al-Madeenah ((ar-Risaalah)), number: 13788

Duhaa786M
08-18-2009, 06:31 AM
very intresting... will find some thing I've read long ago which inspired me alot and give it here.

أبو سليمان عمر
09-02-2009, 05:11 PM
On the authority of Ka’b al-Ahbaar, who said:

((To cry out of fear of Allaah is more beloved to me than to give my weight in gold to charity)).

Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa. – Volume 3, Page 490

أبو سليمان عمر
09-02-2009, 05:17 PM
‘Abdul-Kareem said:

((Talq ibn Habeeb would not go into rukoo’ once he started Soorah al-Baqarah (page 2) until he reached (Soorah) al-‘Ankaboot (page 396), and he would say:

"I yearn to remain standing (in prayer) until my body aches"))

Note: Soorah page numbers correspond to the Madeenah mushaf.

Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa. – Volume 4, Page 602

Sufyaan said:

((‘Amru ibn Deenaar used to divide the night into three parts:

a third (in which) he would sleep;

a third (in which) he would study hadeeth;

and a third (in which) he would do salaah (pray)))

Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa. – Volume 5, Page 302

أبو سليمان عمر
09-02-2009, 05:21 PM

((Just as I have mentioned previously, the cure to that which you suspect to be a mistake is to telephone the one whom you suspect has made the mistake and discuss the issue with him, then consider your position after the discussion.))

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
Kitaabul-'Ilm

al-Hasan (al-Basree) said:

((The wise man does not argue or seek to overcome with stratagem rather he propagates his wisdom. If it is accepted he praises Allaah and if it is rejected he praises Allaah)).

Reported by Abu Nu`aim ibn Hammaad in his Zawaa'id `alaz-Zuhd libnil Mubaarak (no. 30) and Ibn Battah in Ibaanatul-Kubraa (no. 611)

((If backbiting of the layman ranks amongst the major sins, then backbiting of the scholar is much greater. This is because the effects of backbiting of the scholar does not rest at him only, rather it rests upon him and that which he possesses in knowledge of the Sharee'ah.))

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
Kitaabul-'Ilm

أبو سليمان عمر
09-04-2009, 02:08 AM
On the authority of Ibn 'Umar (radhi-yallaahu 'anhumaa) who said: I was with the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) when a man from the Ansaar came up to the Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and greeted him with the salaam and then said: ((O Messenger of Allaah (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) which of the believers are the best?))

He replied:

((Those who are best in character)).

Then he asked: ((Which of the believers are the most intelligent?))

He relpied:

((Those who remember death the most, and those who are best prepared for what comes after it. These are the intelligent ones)).

Declared hasan by Shaykh al-Albaanee in Silsilah al-Ahaadeeth as-Saheehah by virtue of all its different chains of narration.

أبو سليمان عمر
09-04-2009, 02:13 AM
It is reported that Hishâm b. ‘Urwah said, reporting from his father, ‘Urwah b. Al-Zubayr – Allâh have mercy on him , “He used to say to us when we were youths, ‘Why do you not seek knowledge? Even though [today] you are the youngsters, you are about to be the elders [in the future]. What is the use of being a shaykh when the shaykh is ignorant? Four years before the death of ‘Â`ishah, I would say, if she died today, I would not feel regret about a single hadîth she had, for I had gathered them from her. I would hear that a Companion had a hadîth and would go to him. I might find that he was napping, so I would sit at his door and wait, and then ask him about it [later when he woke].’”

Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ`, in his biography of ‘Urwah b. Al-Zubayr.

‘Urwah b. Al-Zubayr was the son of Al-Zubayr b. Al-‘Awâm and Asmâ bint Abî Bakr, and the nephew of Â`ishah – Allâh be pleased with them all. He studied under her and was regarded as one of the senior scholars of his time. He is one of the famous Seven Jurists.

Takeing from sayingsofthesalaf.com

أبو سليمان عمر
04-23-2010, 02:00 PM
inshallah we can use this thread only to add sayings of the Prophet peace be upon him the companions may Allah be pleased with them or scholars of Ahul Asunnah wal Jammah May Allah Have mercy on them (which shows only the ones that have pasted)
Love of Allah
by Imâm Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah

The love of the Beloved
must be unconditionally returned.

If you claim love
yet oppose the Beloved,
then your love is but a pretence.
You love the enemies of your Beloved
and still seek love in return.

You fight the beloved of your Beloved.

Is this Love or the following of shaytaan?

True devotion is nothing
but total submission
of body and soul
to One Love.

We have seen humans claim to submit,
yet their loyalties are many.

They put their trust here, and their hope there,
and their love is without consequence.

Ummu Sufyaan
04-24-2010, 07:14 AM
:sl:
^is that taken from that walaa and baraa book by shiekh al-Qahtaani :?

deeply meaningful.

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2010, 07:23 AM
Ummu Sufyaan yes it is indeed very meaningful

On the authority of 'Abdullaah ibn 'Umar (radhi-yallaahu 'anhumaa) who said:

((If you live until the evening, then do not expect to live until the following morning. And if you live until the morning, then do not expect to see the evening. Take from your health for your sickness and from your life for your death)).

Reported by al-Bukhaaree

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Maalik ibn Anas (radhi-yallaahu 'anhu) said:

((Whoever does not love knowledge, then there is no good in him; So there should not be any acquaintence between you and him, and nor any friendship)).

al-Khateeb in al-Faqeeh wal-Mutafaqqih - Volume 1, Page 15;

Mabaahith fee Ahkaam al-Fatwa - Page 12

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2010, 07:31 AM
It is reported that Abû Al-Dardâ – Allâh be pleased with him – said:
You will never be pious (a person of taqwâ) until you become knowledgeable, and you will never be beautiful with your knowledge until you act [by it].

Ibn Ábd Al-Barr, Jâmi’ Bayân Al-’Ilm wa Fadlihî article 1239.

It is reported that Abû Al-Dardâ` – Allâh be pleased with him – said:

Be a scholar or a learner, or a person who loves [the scholars] or a follower [of the scholars], but do not be the fifth.
Humayd (one of the reporters) asked Al-Hasan (Al-Basri, who reported this from Abû Al-Dardâ`), “And who is the fifth?” He replied, “A heretic (mubtadi’, religious innovator}.”

Ibn ‘Abd Al-Barr, Jâmi’ Bayân Al-‘Ilm 1:142.

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Dead Hearts and Empty Supplications

It is reported that Ibrâhîm b. Adham (d162H) – Allâh have mercy on him – once passed through the market of Basrah. People gathered around him and asked:

O Abû Ishâq, Allâh the Exalted says in his Book. ‘Call on me, I will answer your prayers’, but we have been calling on Him for a long time and He does not answer our prayers. [Ibrâhîm] replied, “O people of Basrah, your hearts have died in respect to ten things: First, you know Allâh but you do not give Him His rights; second, you have read Allâh’s Book but you do not act by it; third, you claim to love Allâh’s Messenger – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him – yet you abandon his Sunnah; fourth, you claim to be enemies to Shaytân but you conform to [his ways]; fifth, you say you love Paradise yet you do not work for it; sixth, you say you fear The Fire yet you put yourselves closer to it [by sinning]; seventh, you say death is true but you do not prepare for it; eighth, you busy yourselves with the faults of others and disregard your own; ninth, you consume the favors of your Lord but are not grateful for them; and tenth, you bury your dead but take no lesson from them.”

Abû Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliyâ’ 8: 15, 16.

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Righteous Women and the Maidens of Jannah

It is reported from Hibbân b. Abî Jablah that he said,
The women of this world who enter Paradise will surpass Al-Hûr Al-‘În by the deeds they did in this world.”

Ibn Al-Mubârak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ`iq Vol. 4 p463.

Hibbân b. Abî Jablah is from the Tâbi’ûn. He died in 122 or 125H.

Allâh knows best.

أبو سليمان عمر
04-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Three Laughs and Three Tears

It is reported form Abû Al-Dardâ – Allâh be pleased with him – that he said, “Three make me laugh, and three make me cry.

Those that make me laugh are a person who puts his hopes in this worldly life while death pursues him, a person who is heedless [of his Lord] while [his Lord] is not heedless of him, and a person who always laughs while he does not know whether he has pleased Allâh or angered Him.

What makes me cry is being separated from my beloved: Muhammad and his party (the Companions), the horrors of the time of death, and standing in front of Allâh ‘azza wa jall on the Day when the secrets will be revealed and I do not know will I then go to Paradise or Hell?”

Ibn Al-Mubârak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ`iq article 250.

أبو سليمان عمر
04-25-2010, 01:45 PM
'Abdullaah ibn Mas'ood (radhi-yallaahu 'anhu) said:

((The Jamaa'ah is what accords to the truth, even if you are alone)).

Sharh Usool I'tiqaad Ahlis-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah - al-Laalikaa.ee

أبو سليمان عمر
04-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Imaam al-Barbahaaree (rahima-hullaah) mentions:

((From the Sunnah is that you do not help anyone in disobedience to Allaah, whether they be parents or any of the creation. There is no obedience to a human in disobedience to Allaah an dno one is to be loved for that (i.e. disobedience to Allaah).

Rather, all of that is to be hated for (the sake of) Allaah, the Blessed and Most High)).

Sharhus-Sunnah - Imaam al-Barbahaaree

أبو سليمان عمر
04-25-2010, 01:50 PM
An advice at death about direction in Life

It is reported that when Al-Hasan Al-Basrî was on his deathbed, some of his companions came to him and said:

O Abû Sa’îd, offer us some words you can benefit us with. He replied, “I will equip you with three words, then you must leave me to face what I am facing. Be the farthest of people from those things you have been forbidden, and be the most involved of people in the good you have been commanded to do; and know that the steps you take are two steps: a step in your favor and a step against you, so be careful where you come and where you go.”

Abû Na’yam, Hilyah Al-Awliyâ` 2:154

pls if you have anything dont forget to add it Barak Allah Feekum

أبو سليمان عمر
04-25-2010, 01:57 PM
No poverty after Paradise and no wealth in the Fire

It is reported that Jundub b. ‘Abdillâh Al-Bajalî – Allah be pleased with him – was once asked for advice and instruction. He said:

I advise you to fear Allâh and obey Him (taqwâ) and I advise you to adhere to the Quran, for it is a light in the dark night and a guidance during the day, so implement it no matter how much struggle and poverty you have to face. If a calamity befalls you, put your wealth forward to protect your religion, and if the calamity continues, put forward your wealth and your life to save your religion [but never risk your religion], for the ruined is he whose religion is ruined, and the looted is he whose religion is taken. And know that there is no poverty after Paradise, and no riches after the Fire.

Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` 3:174.

~Raindrop~
04-25-2010, 03:28 PM
All humans are dead except those who have knowledge; and all those who have knowledge are asleep, except those who do good deeds; and those who do good deeds are deceived, except those who are sincere; and those who are sincere are always in a state of worry. Imam ash-Shafi'i [rahimahullah]
inshallah have to remember where i found this one
I think I read something very similar in Minhaajul 3abideen, if that helps.

أبو سليمان عمر
04-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Will check inshallah Jazak Allahu Khayr

The wise man does not argue...

al-Hasan (al-Basree) said:

((The wise man does not argue or seek to overcome with stratagem rather he propagates his wisdom. If it is accepted he praises Allaah and if it is rejected he praises Allaah)).

Reported by Abu Nu`aim ibn Hammaad in his Zawaa'id `alaz-Zuhd libnil Mubaarak (no. 30) and Ibn Battah in Ibaanatul-Kubraa (no. 611)

أبو سليمان عمر
04-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Who to Love and Trust, Hate and Suspect [signs of sincerity]

It is reported that ‘Umar b. Al-Khattâb – Allâh be pleased with him – said:

We were once in a time when we did not think anyone learned the Quran seeking anything but Allâh the Exalted, but now I fear there are men who learn it and intend the people and what they can get from them. So seek Allâh with your recitation and deeds. For verily, we used to know you when Allâh’s Messenger – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him – was amongst us, when revelation would descend and Allâh would tell us about you. As for today, Allâh’s Messenger – peace and blessings be upon him – has passed on, and the revelations has stopped; and I only know you as I say: whoever shows what is good, we love him for it and think good of him, and whoever shows what is evil, we hate him for it and suspect him. Your secret and private matters are between you and your Lord the Mighty and Majestic.

Al-Âjurrî, Akhlâq Hamalat Al-Qur`ân article 26.

أبو سليمان عمر
04-27-2010, 03:52 PM
Backbiting and Brotherhood

It is reported that Al-Fudayl b. ‘Ayyâd said, “When backbiting appears, brotherhood for Allâh will disappear; and at that time you will be like things plated with gold and silver: wooden on the inside, [merely] looking good on the outside.”

Abû Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliyâ`, Vol. 3 p395.

أبو سليمان عمر
04-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Beneficial Brotherhood and Love

It is reported that ‘Abdullâh b. ‘Abbâs – Allâh be pleased with him – said, “Love for Allâh and hate for Allâh, make your enmity because of Allâh and your allegiance because of Allâh; for indeed, the love and support of Allâh is not achieved save through this. And a man will never taste true faith (îmân) – though he may pray and fast much – except when he is like that. Today, the people’s brotherhood is based upon worldly considerations (dunyâ), but this will not do anything for them on the Day of Resurrection.”

Ibn Al-Mubârak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ`iq article 353.

Ummu Sufyaan
04-28-2010, 10:10 AM
:sl:
how do you make your relationships for the sake of Allah? how do you know if your relationships are for the sake of Allah? how do you change them if they aren't?

أبو سليمان عمر
04-28-2010, 01:25 PM
i dont think i can answer but will try
Loving for the sake of ALLAH means loving one another for the cause of Allah and only for this not for anything else not for money or becasue he/she is your husband/wife/mother/father but becasue he does what Allah loves so you love him/her for it and much much more i think and also i thik it is a hard thing to get since we are promised to be under the shade on the day no shade will shade them except the throne so for such a great reward i think not anyone can do it
im going to post a few things inshallah they help and if anyone has anything else that is authntic pls share JAZAKUM Allahu khayr
Allah knows best

Those whom Allah loves- Hassan As Somali said in one of his lectures
The person that loves their brother purely for the sake of Allah. In a Hadith reported by Muslim, Abu Hurairah narrated that the Prophet ( sallalahu alaiha wa sallam) said “There was a man who visited his brother who lived in another village, an angel came to him as he was on his was and the angel asked “Where do you plan to go?” he said “I want to visit a brother of mine that resides in that village”, the angel then asked “are you visiting him to repay his favour?”, the man replied “No, the only reason I’m visiting is because I love him for the sake of Allah. The angel then said “I am a messenger that has been sent to you from Allah to inform you that Allah loves you just as you love this person”.

Loving a person for the sake of Allah is not simple so if you find someone who loves you for the sake of Allah hold on to them with all your strength because they are rarer than any gem. In this time people don’t love each other for the sake of Allah. How can you test yourself? One of the Salaf said if when this person treats you well, it dos not increase your love for him and if he hurts you then you don’t hate him more. If you want to see if he is true then upset him, if you see him behaving as you would expect then he is your true friend. Loving one another is something that is rare in our time......

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “A Muslim has six rights over another Muslim.” They asked, “What are they, Messenger of Allah?” He said, “When you meet him, greet him with salam (Muslim's salutation meaning ‘peace’); when he invites you, accept his invitation; when he seeks your advice, advise him; when he sneezes and then praises Allah, invoke Allah’s mercy upon him; when he falls ill, visit him; when he dies, follow his funeral” (Muslim).

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “A Muslim’s supplication for his brother in secret is answered. At his head an angel is appointed, and whenever he supplicates for his brother with something good, the angel appointed to him says, ‘Ameen, and likewise for you’” (Muslim).

(If any of you loved his brother for the sake of Allah, then it is better to tell his brother so that he can feel the same ), As-Silsela As-Sahiha, Al-Albani 1/947.

أبو سليمان عمر
05-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Abû Hurayrah on Taqwâ

A man once asked Abû Hurayrah – Allâh be pleased with him, ‘What is al-taqwâ?” He replied, “Have you ever taken a path filled with thorns?” The man replied, “I have.” Abû Hurayrah asked him, “What did you do?” He replied, “When I saw a thorn I would dodge it or pass over it or behind it.” Abû Hurayrah said, “That is al-taqwâ.”

Al-Baihaqî, Al-Zuhd Al-Kabîr p351.

أبو سليمان عمر
05-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Save yourselves and your families

Some narrations reported from the Salaf in explanation of what it means to protect oneself and one’s family as mentioned in Al-Tahrîm verse 6:

O you who believe! Protect yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels, stern and severe, and who disobey not the commands they receive from Allâh, but do that which they are commanded. [66:6]

· ‘Alî b. Abî Tâlib – Allah be pleased with him:

Discipline them, teach them.

· Ibn ‘Abbâs – Allah be pleased with them:

Stay obedient to Allâh, stay away from disobeying Allâh and command your families to remember Allâh, and He will save you from the Fire.

· Mujâhid – Allâh have mercy on him:

Fear Allâh and obey him (practice taqwâ) and tell your families to practice taqwâ.

· Qatâdah – Allâh have mercy on him:

A person protects his family by telling them to obey Allâh and forbidding them from disobeying Him. He upholds Allâh’s commandments and helps his family to uphold them. So if you see some disobedience of Allâh you stop them from doing it, and you reprimand them.

Al-Tabarî, Al-Tafsîr, Sûrah Al-Tahrîm.

أبو سليمان عمر
11-20-2010, 03:49 AM
Whoever belittles the Ahlul-Hadeeth...

as-Saffaareenee (rahima-hullaah) said:

((And we are not focusing on mentioning the virtues of the people of Hadeeth, for indeed their virtues are well known and their merits are many. So whoever belittles them, then he is despicable and lowly. And whoever hates them, then he is from the backward party of the Devil)).

Lawaa.ihul-Anwaar - Volume 2, Page 355

أبو سليمان عمر
11-20-2010, 03:52 AM
"...all that mattered to me was (saving) time!"

The Imaam of Hadeeth, the Shaykh - Muhammad Naasiruddeen al-Albaanee (rahima-hullaah) narrated:

“I bought a piece of land because it was cheap, and then began building a house and a shop (on it). As it was, the distance between my house to the Zaahiriyyah library which I used to frequent became further. (At the time), I used to work on a watch or two before the library opened its doors (in the morning).

I (then) bought a bicycle to ride, and it was the first time the people of Damascus saw such a sight, that a shaykh wearing a turban was riding a bicycle!; as a result they were very surprised. (At the time), there was a magazine run by a Christian entitled: ((al-Mudh-hik al-Mubkee)) and it mentioned this ("amazing") sight, and I was none too concerned by these small issues, since all that mattered to me was (saving) time!”

Safahaat baydhaa. min hayaat Shaykhinaa al-Albaanee – Page 24

أبو سليمان عمر
11-20-2010, 03:54 AM
I am amazed at the people who...

Ibn Shubrumah mentions:

((I am amazed at the people who take care of themselves by eating food out of fear of dying, yet do not protect themselves from sins out of fear of the Fire)).

Siyar A'laam an-Nubalaa. - Volume 6, Page 348

أبو سليمان عمر
11-20-2010, 03:55 AM
Not taking sins lightly

Sahl ibn Sa'd (radhi-yallaahu 'anhu) narrated that Allaah's Messenger (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said:

((Beware of sins which are treated as being minor, just like a people who encamp in the centre of a valley, so someone brings a stick of firewood and someone else brings a stick until they are therefore able to bake their bread. Likewise sins which are treated as being minor and for which the person is taken to account will destroy him)).

Musnad al-Imaam Ahmad - Volume 5, Page 331 and others

أبو سليمان عمر
11-20-2010, 03:58 AM
The Trick of the Eyes

Quran 40:19. Allah knows the fraud of the eyes and what the breasts hide.

Allah knows the fraud of the eyes, and all that the breasts conceal [Quran, Ghâfir (40):19]

It is reported that ‘Abdullâh b. ‘Abbâs – Allâh be pleased with him – said, explaining this verse:

A man is with a group of people when a woman passes. He shows them that he has lowered his gaze from looking at her. But when he sees they are not paying attention, he looks at her. If he fears they will notice, he lowers his gaze, but Allâh has seen in his heart that he wishes he could see her body (private areas).

Hunâd b. Al-Sarî, Al-Zuhd article 1428.

Source: http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net/ind...#ixzz15n93zS8y

أبو سليمان عمر
11-20-2010, 04:00 AM
How much should I..?

It is reported that Wahb b. Munabbih – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

A scholar once asked another greater than him in knowledge, “How much should I build?” He replied, “As much as shelters you from the sun and the rain.” He asked, “How much food should I eat?” He replied, “More than what keeps you hungry and less than what makes you full.” He asked, “How much should I wear?” He replied, “As the Messiah (Jesus) did.” He asked, “How much should I laugh?” He replied, “As much as appears on your face but does not make audible your voice.” He asked, “How much should I cry?” He replied, “Never tire from crying out of the fear of Allâh.” He asked, “How much should I hide my deeds?” He replied, “Until people think you had not done a good deed.” He asked, “How much should I make public my deeds?” He replied, “As much as will let the keen follow your example but not have the people talk about you.”

Wahb said. “Everything has two ends and a middle. If you grab one end, the other will slant, but if you take the middle, both ends will balance. Stick to the balanced middle in all affairs.”

Abû Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliyâ` 4:45.

Source: http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net/ind...#ixzz15n9Rk1hB

أبو سليمان عمر
11-20-2010, 04:00 AM
The hard life now for the good life later

It is reported that Hafsah – Allâh be pleased with her – once said to her father (‘Umar, during his Caliphate):

Allâh has increased the provisions; if only you would eat better food than the food you eat now and wear softer clothes then those you wear now?! He said, “I will argue [against] you with your own self: Was not the condition of Allâh’s Messenger – praise and peace be upon him – such-and-such [when you were his wife]!?” He kept reminding her until she cried. He continued, “I have told you, by Allâh, I will share in their hard living (in this world, referring to The Prophet and Abû Bakr) so that I may partake in their good life (in Paradise).”

Hunâd b. Al-Sarî, Al-Zuhd article 687; Imâm Ahmad, Al-Zuhd article 201, et al. (1)

(1) Shaykh Abd Al-Rahmân Al-Farîwâ`î explains in his edition of Hunâd’s Al-Zuhd that this narration is sahîh if it is confirmed that Mus‘ab b. Sa’d heard it from Hafsah; otherwise its chain of transmission is mursal sahîh (i.e. it is authentic except there is a missing link between Mus’ab and Hafsah)

Source: http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net/ind...#ixzz15n9dueLy

أبو سليمان عمر
11-20-2010, 04:03 AM
The scholar, the ruler, and your brother

It is reported that ‘Abdullâh b. Al-Mubârak – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

It is right that an intelligent person does not undervalue three [types of people]: the scholars, the rulers, and [his Muslim] brothers. Whoever undervalues the scholars will lose his afterlife, whoever undervalues the rulers will lose his worldly life, and whoever undervalues his brothers loses his good character and conduct.

Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ`17:251.

Source: http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net/ind...#ixzz15nAD4lsV

أبو سليمان عمر
11-20-2010, 04:11 AM
Four Signs of the Wretched

It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basrî – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

Four signs of wretchedness are: [having] a hard heart, dry eyes [that never cry], extended hopes [about this life], and greed and keenness to amass worldly things (the dunyâ).

Ibn Abî Al-Dunyâ, Kitâb Al-Zuhd article 36.

أبو سليمان عمر
11-20-2010, 05:47 AM
A Trivial Pursuit

It is reported that ‘Awn b. ‘Abdillâh – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

Those before you used to give to their worldly affairs what was left over from their pursuit of the hereafter. But today, you give to the matters of the hereafter the left-overs from your pursuit of worldly affairs.

Abû Nu’aym, Hilyat Al-Awliyâ` 10:242.

Source: http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net/ind...#ixzz15nabXfe6

أبو سليمان عمر
11-20-2010, 05:49 AM
When I say something contradicting the Book of Allaah...

Imaam Abu Haneefah (rahima-hullaah) said:

((When I say something contradicting the Book of Allaah the Exalted or what is narrated from the Messenger (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam), then ignore my saying)).

Al-Fulaani in Eeqaaz al-Himam (p. 50), tracing it to Imaam Muhammad and then saying, "This does not apply to the mujtahid, for he is not bound to their views anyway, but it applies to the muqallid.

Ummu Sufyaan
11-20-2010, 01:02 PM
The scholar, the ruler, and your brother

It is reported that ‘Abdullâh b. Al-Mubârak – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

It is right that an intelligent person does not undervalue three [types of people]: the scholars, the rulers, and [his Muslim] brothers. Whoever undervalues the scholars will lose his afterlife, whoever undervalues the rulers will lose his worldly life, and whoever undervalues his brothers loses his good character and conduct.

Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ`17:251.

Source: http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net/ind...#ixzz15nAD4lsV
can i get the Arabic of this?

أبو سليمان عمر
11-20-2010, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
can i get the Arabic of this?
حدثنا محمد بن العباس الضبي، حدثنا محمد بن أبي علي، حدثنا الفضل بن محمد بن نعيم، سمعت علي بن حجر، سمعت أبا حاتم الفراهيجي، سمعت فضالة النسوي، سمعت ابن المبارك يقول: حق على العاقل أن لا يستخف بثلاثة: العلماء والسلاطين والاخوان، فإنه من استخف بالعلماء ذهبت آخرته، ومن استخف بالسلطان ذهبت دنياه، ومن استخف بالاخوان ذهبت مروءتهز

أبو سليمان عمر
11-21-2010, 04:15 AM
I’ll give her all she wants

A man came to Maymûn b. Mahrân – Allah be please with him – to ask for his daughter’s hand in marriage. Maymûn said, “I do not approve of her for you.” The man asked, “Why?” He replied, “Because she loves jewelry and garments.” To this the man said, “Well I have as much of those as she desires.” Maymûn said, “Now I don’t approve of you for her.”

Al-Dhahabî , Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of Maymûn b. Mahrân.

Source: http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net/ind...#ixzz15t3v6goQ

أبو سليمان عمر
11-21-2010, 04:17 AM
Prepare for death yourself [khutbah of Uthman]

It is narrated that ‘Uthmân b. Áffân – Allâh be pleased with him – said in a sermon:

Son of Adam! Know that the angel of death who has been assigned to you has not ceased to pass you and move on to others, ever since you have been in this world. But it is as if he is about to pass someone else and move on to target you, so be careful and prepare for him (by correcting your deeds). And do not forget him, for he does not forget you. And know o son of Adam, if you are heedless about yourself and do not prepare, no one else will prepare for you. You must meet Allah the Mighty and Majestic, so take for yourself and do not leave it to someone else. Peace be on you.

Abû Bakr Al-Daynûrî, Al-Mujâlasah wa Jawâhir Al-Ílm 2: 73, 74.

Source: http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net/ind...#ixzz15t4Rt4Sk

جوري
11-21-2010, 03:56 PM
subscribbbbbbbbbbessssss

جوري
11-21-2010, 04:04 PM
During his Caliphate, ‘Alî b. Abî Tâlib – Allah be pleased with him – saw some armor of his with a Christian. He decided to take the matter up legally, so he took the dispute to Shurayh (the Judge). ‘Alî said, “This is my armor, and I have not sold it nor given it away.” Shurayh said to the Christian, “What have you to say about what the Amîr of the Believers claims?” The Christian replied, “It is my armor, although I do not regard the Amîr of the Believers to be a liar.” Shurayh then turned to ‘Alî, “O Amîr of the Believers, do you have any proof (of ownership)?” ‘Alî laughed and said, “Shurayh is correct, I have no proof.” So Shurayh judged that the armor was the Christian’s. The Christian took it and began to walk away but then returned. He proclaimed, “As for me, I testify that this is the judgment of the Prophets – the Amîr of the Believers himself takes me to his judge and the judge rules against him! I bear witness that there is no deity deserving worship but Allâh and I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allâh. By Allâh, the armor is yours o Amîr of the Believers. I followed the army when you were on your way to the Battle of Siffîn and the armor came out of your equipment.” ‘Alî said, “If you have accepted Islâm the armor is yours.” And then he put him on his horse. Al-Sha’bî (the reporter of this incident) said, “I was later informed by those who saw this man that he fought the Khawârij (alongside ‘Alî) at the battle of Nahrawân.” Ibn Kathîr, Al-Bidâyah wa Al-Nihâyah Vol.8 p5.

I have been looking for this for ever, to make a point long ago about Islamic jurisprudence.. Jazaka Allah khyran what an excellent thread indeed..

:w:

أبو سليمان عمر
11-21-2010, 06:47 PM
The Softest Hearts

It is reported that Makhûl – Allâh have mercy on him – said, “The people with the softest hearts are those who sin the least.”

Abû Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliyâ` Vol. 2 p344.

It is reported that ‘Awn b. ‘Abdillâh, the ascetic and jurist, said, “Sit with the repentant, for they have the softest hearts.”

Abû Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliyâ` Vol. 2 p192.

Source: http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net/ind...#ixzz15waQb4y2

Saad17
11-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm not sure what is meant by soft heart. Isn't having a soft heart bad because you will be sensitive to bad things as well as you would be to good things but then again having a strong heart means that words of evil won't harm you but at the same time words of good won't get you to either so thats the case of the reckless I believe.

أبو سليمان عمر
11-21-2010, 07:08 PM
أخبرنا علي بن أحمد بن محمد بن بكر ، أنبا الحسن بن عثمان ، ثنا يعقوب بن سفيان ، ثنا سعيد بن أبي مريم ، ثنا رشدين بن سعد ، حدثني عقيل ، عن ابن شهاب ، عن عمر بن عبد العزيز ، قال : « سن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم وولاة الأمر بعده سننا ، الأخذ بها تصديق لكتاب الله عز وجل ، واستكمال لطاعته ، وقوة على دين الله ، ليس لأحد تغييرها ولا تبديلها ، ولا النظر في رأي من خالفها ، فمن اقتدى بما سنوا اهتدى ، ومن استبصر بها أبصر ، ومن خالفها واتبع غير سبيل المؤمنين ولاه الله عز وجل ما تولاه وأصلاه جهنم وساءت مصيرا »

Umar b. Abd Al-Aziz on the Way of the Believers

Ibn Shihâb reports:

‘Umar b. ‘Abd Al-’Azîz – Allah have mercy on him, said, “The Messenger of Allâh – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him – and the authorities (leaders of the Muslims, the Caliphs ) after him set certain ways and practices. To follow those ways is to believe in Allâh’s Book and to complete [ones] obedience of Him, and to be strong upon the religion of Allâh. It is not for anyone to alter those ways or change them for something else, and it is not for anyone to consider the views and opinions of those who contradict them. Whoever follows what [the Prophet and his Caliphs] laid down will be guided, whoever seeks enlightenment through it will be enlightened. But whoever contradicts those ways and follows a way other than the way of the Believers, Allâh the Mighty and Majestic will leave him in the path he has chosen and land him in Jahannam (Hell); and what an evil destination that is.’”

Al-Lâlakâ`î, Sharh Usûl I’tiqâd Ahl Al-Sunnah 1:94.

Notes

In this statement, Caliph ‘Umar b. ‘Abd Al-Azîz affirms a number of important points related to the creed and methodology of Ahl Al-Sunnah wa Al-Jamâ’ah – orthodox Islam:

1. The path of guidance, the Sunnah, is what was laid down by the Prophet, as understood and implemented by the Rightly Guided Caliphs and Companions.
2. For a person to truly believe in the Quran, and to be guided, he must adhere to this Sunnah and to it alone.
3. A Muslim is not allowed to innovate in the religion or exchange any part of it for foreign beliefs and ideologies.
4. True enlightenment and insight lies in adhering to this way.
5. A Muslim is not supposed to be interested in and expose himself to the views and opinions of people who go against the Sunnah and way of the Salaf.
6. Going against this way is to follow ‘a way other than the way of the Believers’ and take a path to Hell; a reference to Al-Quran 4:115 where this principle is evidenced.

This narration is recorded with variant wordings in numerous other sources. In a version recorded on the authority of Muttarrif b. ‘Abdillâh by Al-Qâdî Abû Ya’lâ (d458H) in Ibtâl Al-Ta’wîl 1:52, it is stated that when those who ‘deflected the narrations speaking of the Sifât’ (divine attributes of Allâh) were mentioned in the presence of Imâm Mâlik, he would quote this saying of Caliph ‘Umar b. ‘Abd Al-’Azîz. In yet another report of this statement, the heretics being referred to are described as ‘the deviants in the religion.’

Source: http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net/ind...#ixzz15wgZ96qO

أبو سليمان عمر
11-22-2010, 02:23 AM
The Three Men and the Valley [example of the munafiq]

It is reported that ‘Abdullâh b. Mas’ûd – Allâh be pleased with him – said:

The example of the believer, the unbeliever and the hypocrite is that of three people who arrived at a valley. One of them descended and passed through to the other side. One of them descended until he reached half way, when the third man on the edge of the valley called to him, “Woe to you, where are you going? You will die. Come back.” The man who made it to the other side called to him, “Come and be saved.” So [the man in the middle of the valley] kept looking back and forth at the two [on each side of the valley], when a flood came into the valley and drowned him. The man who passed through to the other side is the believer; the one who drowned is the munâfiq (hypocrite) –

www.sayingsofthesalf.net for more sayings of our illustrious predecessors.

أبو سليمان عمر
11-22-2010, 05:29 AM
It is reported that Abû Al-Dardâ` – Allâh be pleased with him – used to say, “Learn knowledge before it is taken way, and it is taken away by its people (scholars) being taken away. The scholar and the student are partners in good and there is no good in any other people. The richest of men is the knowledgeable man whose knowledge is needed: he benefits those who need him and if done without, he benefits himself with the knowledge Allâh ‘azza wa jall has placed with him. So how is it I see your scholars dying yet the ignorant amongst you not learning? I fear that the predecessor will depart and the successor will not learn. If the scholar studies, he only increases in knowledge, and he does not take anything away from knowledge. And if the ignorant studies, he will find knowledge firm and established. So how is it that I see you full up with food, yet starved of knowledge?”

Ibn ‘Abd Al-Barr, Jâmi’ Bayân Al-‘Ilm wa Fadlihi Vol. 2 p233

أبو سليمان عمر
11-22-2010, 05:29 AM
The person’s lifetime is judged by its end, and mans actions are regarded by their final deeds. Whoever breaks his ablution before the final salutation surely his prayer becomes invalid, and whoever breaks his fast before sunset surely his fast is invalid, and whoever is sinful at the end of his life surely he will meet Allaah in that state. If you give charity surely you will find the blessings thereof, but beware of greed. How many times do you seek a good reward but is rejected because of procrastination?

Verily no salvation is found when faith is incomplete, when false hope is overestimated, when a disease has no remedy, when one insists on vain desires, when a sleeping heedless mind wanders blindly in wild intoxication, overwhelmed by its ignorance, feeling alienated from his Lord, and finding delight with his servants, and remembering people is his power and pleasure, while remembering Allaah is his prison and death. To Allaah he offers superficial acts of worship, and to people his devotion and trust are directed.

Taken from al-Fawaa’id of Ibn al Qayyim

أبو سليمان عمر
11-22-2010, 05:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saad17
I'm not sure what is meant by soft heart. Isn't having a soft heart bad because you will be sensitive to bad things as well as you would be to good things but then again having a strong heart means that words of evil won't harm you but at the same time words of good won't get you to either so thats the case of the reckless I believe.
sorry i didnt see your post till now but
"So woe to those whose hearts have been hardened against the remembrance of Allâh, those are clearly misguided. Allâh has sent down the best statement, a consistent Book wherein is reiteration. The skins shiver therefrom of those who fear their Lord, then there skins and their hearts become soft at the remembrance of Allâh." [Sooratuz-Zumar 39:22-23]

the basis of humility (khushoo') is softness, gentleness, tranquility, subservience, subjugation, and burning of the heart. So when the heart is humble, all of the limbs and body parts follow it in humility. Because they are followers of it; as he sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam said, "Verily there is a small morsel of the body, if it is rectified, the whole body is rectified; and if it is corrupt, the whole body is corrupt. Indeed it is the heart."

Al-Mas'oodee said: From Abee Sinaan: from the one who informed him: from 'Alee Ibn Abee Taalib radiallaahu 'anhu, who said concerning the statement of Allâh, "Those who are humble in their Prayer." [Sooratul-Mu'minoon 23:2]: "It is the humility in the heart, and it is that you soften your side towards the Muslim, and that you do not look around during your Prayer.

And 'Ataa' Ibnus-Saa'ib said: From a man: From 'Alee radiallaahu 'anhu who said, "Humility (khushoo') is the humility of the heart, and that you do not look around to the right, nor the left."

And 'Alee Ibn Abee Talhah said: From Ibn 'Abbaas radiallaahu 'anhu who said concerning the statement of Allâh the Exalted, "Those who are humble in their Prayer.": "They are fearful and tranquil."

naam akhi in islam we should have a soft heart when we repent when we deal with our brothers and sisters in islam when we read quran but we also have to be firm in the deen and be strong agaisnt falsehood

أبو سليمان عمر
11-23-2010, 05:03 AM
حدثنا موسى قال : حدثنا أبو عوانة ، عن عبد الملك بن عمير ، عن عبد الرحمن بن سعيد ، عن أبيه قال : كنت مع سلمان ، وعاد مريضا في كندة ، فلما دخل عليه قال : أبشر ، فإن مرض المؤمن يجعله الله له كفارة ومستعتبا ، وإن مرض الفاجر كالبعير (1) عقله (2) أهله ثم أرسلوه ، فلا يدري لم عقل ولم أرسل

The trials of a Believer and the Trials of a Sinner

Salmân Al-Fârsî – Allâh be pleased with him – once visited a sick friend. When he entered upon him he said:

Have glad tidings, for verily Allâh makes the illness of a believer an expiation [for his sins] and a cause of being pleased, whereas the illness of a sinner is like a camel that has been tied by its owners, then released by them: it knows not why it was tied up nor why it was released.

Al-Bukhârî, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad in the Chapter on the Expiation [of sins through] illness. Graded sahîh by Shaykh Al-Albânî in Sahîh Al-Adab Al-Mufrad.

أبو سليمان عمر
12-07-2010, 06:58 PM
The Four Eyes

It is reported that Khâlid b. Ma’dân – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

There is not a person except he has four eyes: two in his head with which he sees the matters of this worldly life, and two in his heart with which he looks to the matters of the hereafter. So if Allâh wants good for his servant, He opens his heart’s eyes, and so he perceives what he has been promised in the unseen world. Thus he is saved from the unseen [punishment] through the unseen [reward for the obedient].

Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` 4: 543

أبو سليمان عمر
12-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Brotherhood or Bigotry?

It is reported that Sufyân Al-Thawrî – Allâh have mercy on him – said:

If you loved a man for Allâh and then he innovates in Islâm and you don’t hate him for it, you never [truly] loved him for Allâh.

Abû Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliyâ` 7:34.

أبو سليمان عمر
12-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Umar on interacting with others [trust, consultation and friendship]

It is reported that ‘Umar b. Al-Khattâb – Allâh be pleased with him – said:

Whoever exposes himself to suspicion, let him blame only himself for whoever suspects him.
He who covers his secret is in a position to choose [to correct himself].
Assume the best about your brother until what comes to you from him overcomes you [and you have to change your opinion].
Never do you pay back someone who disobeys Allâh in his dealings with you with the likes of obeying Allâh in your dealings with him.
Take righteous brothers [as friends]; acquire them in plenty, for they are a beautification in prosperity and an aid during calamity.
Do not ask about what has not yet happened until it actually happens, for what has happened is enough of an occupation to worry about what has not happened.
Let not your speech be given freely except to those who want to hear it and will value it.
Do not seek help in fulfilling a need you have except from someone who wants success for you in that endeavor.
Do not consult except people who fear Allâh, and do not accompany the sinner, [lest] you learn his sinfulness.
And be humble at the graves.

Abû Dâwûd, Kitâb Al-Zuhd article 89.

أبو سليمان عمر
12-07-2010, 09:09 PM
The best thing after Iman and the worst thing after Kufr [women]

It is reported that ‘Umar b. Al-Khattâb – Allâh be pleased with him – once addressed the people and said:

No man can have anything better after faith (îmân) than a woman of righteous character, loving and child-bearing. And no man can have anything worse after unbelief (kufr) than a sharp-tongued woman of bad character.

Al-Hâfidh Abul-Qâsim Al-Asbahânî, Al-Targhîb wa Al-Tarhîb article 1528. Also recorded in other sources with a slight variation in wording.

Source: http://www.sayingsofthesalaf.net/ind...#ixzz17SjS9gBY

أبو سليمان عمر
12-30-2010, 02:38 AM
Soft Poison

It is reported that ‘Alî b. Abî Tâlib wrote to Salmâm Al-Farsî – Allâh be pleased with them both – saying:

The likeness of this worldly life (dunyâ) is that of a snake: soft to the touch, it will kill you with its poison. So turn away from what impresses you of it, since what stays with you is so little. And do not be concerned about it, since you are certain about its parting. And be most happy in it when you are most heedful of it; for every time its companion takes solace in one of its delights, it gives way to one of its woes.
Was-Salâm.

Ibn Abî Al-Dunyâ, Kitâb Al-Zuhd article 164.

أبو سليمان عمر
12-30-2010, 02:47 AM
The Last Drops of this World

Khâlid b. ‘Umayr Al-’Adawî reports, ‘Utbah b. Ghazwân – Allâh be pleased with him – once gave us a sermon. He praised Allâh, then said:

The life of this world has announced its departure and is quickly turning away, and nothing remains of it save the likes of the last drop of water in a vessel as its possessor tries to catch it. You are moving on to an abode that has no end, so move on with the best [deeds] that you have. For it has been said to us that a rock can be dropped from the edge of Hell and fall for seventy years without reaching the bottom. Yet, by Allâh, it will be filled. Do you not then wonder? And it has been said to us that a single entrance to Paradise is as wide as a journey of forty years, yet there will come a day when it will be crowded.

I have seen myself as the seventh of seven [followers of] Allâh’s Messenger – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him; we had no food save the leaves of trees which put sores round our mouths. I once got a cloak which I tore in half to share with Sa’d b. Mâlik: I used half as my waist-wrap and he used the other. And yet today, there is not one of us except he has become a governor over some city – and I seek refuge with Allâh that I consider myself great and important when I am small in front of Allâh. Verily there was never prophet-hood except that it gradually changed until it ended up being a kingship, and verily you will see what the governors after us are like.

Sahîh Muslim no. 7624

جوري
12-30-2010, 02:59 AM
sob7an Allah that last hadith gave me goose pimples..
I have been in such a bad mood (such an awful bad mood) and these ahadith put life back into me.. thank you for sharing and Jazaka Allah khyran..

:w:

أبو سليمان عمر
12-30-2010, 03:05 AM
Following the Salaf in these Changed Times

It is reported from Al-Hasan Al-Basrî that he said, “If a man from amongst the Salaf were to be sent forth today, he would not recognize anything from Islam.” He put his hand on his cheek and added, “Except this prayer (salâh).” Then he said, “But by Allâh, this does not apply to the person who lives in this unfamiliar time, never having seen the Righteous Predecessors, but who sees [instead] the innovator calling to his bid’ah, and the follower of worldly wealth calling to his materialism, but Allâh protects him from all this and makes his heart love and aspire to those Righteous Predecessors, asking about their way, searching and trying to follow in their footsteps, and adhering to their path. Such is a person who will be recompensed with an immense and great reward. So be you all like this, by Allâh’s permission”.

Ibn Waddâh, Al-Bida’ Vol. 1 p190.

i Dont like to comment on this thread but insha Allah you all will forgive me
looking at this we see him saying this about his time the time of the tabieen which the prophet prasied so we cant say that at that time they were like our times we cant say that they had alot of bidah and khurafat nor to many shirkyat and this is what he said so imagine if they came to us in our time
I ask Allah to guide us all to the haqq and keep us there i ask Allah to increase us in iman and not to let us worry about those who oppse the haqq and go agasint it i ask Allah to make us as strangers in this dunya Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.