/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mohammed is most popular boy's name in four biggest Dutch cities

Uthman
08-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Mohammed, or other variations of the name of Islam's founding prophet, has become the most popular name choice for baby boys in the four biggest cities of the Netherlands.

Information collected by the country's social security agency has found that traditional Dutch names have been displaced in the urban centres of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht as the country's Muslim population grows.

In The Hague variations of the name Mohammed have taken first, second and fifth place in the Dutch capital's league table of most popular names for boys, replacing traditional favourites such as Jan, Luuk, Gijs or Daan.

At a national level the name Mohammed is now the 16th most popular name for boys.

The figures, obtained by the Dutch Elsevier magazine, from the Dutch Social Insurance Bank, or Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB), are different from the official statistics which have in the past counted various spellings of Mohammed, Muhamed, or Muhammad as different names.

Previous government name counts, separating the different versions, have avoided controversy by keeping the name of Islam's founder outside the Dutch top 20 of favourite names for baby boys.

Geert Wilders, leader of the far-Right, anti-Islam Freedom Party, which is currently leading the Dutch opinion polls, has demanded a government investigation following the Daily Telegraph's Aug 8 report that over a fifth of the European Union's population has been forecast to be Muslim by 2050.

Dutch cabinet ministers will on Friday discuss 79 parliamentary questions tabled by his Freedom Party concerning levels of "non-Western immigration" and its impact on Dutch society.

Official statistics show that European societies are being transformed by immigration and demographic trends. In 2008 just five per cent of the EU's total population was Muslim. But low birth rates among Europe's indigenous population and rising immigration are having rapid and widespread effects on the population mix.

Recent studies have indicated that fears over the radicalisation of young Muslims have been exaggerated however. Nonetheless the changing population poses policy questions in a range of areas from education and housing to the arts and foreign affairs.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
geert wilders is probably the most popular name overall

Muezzin
08-13-2009, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
geert wilders is probably the most popular name overall
Geert Wilders probably heard this news and screamed: 'RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!'

Then he probably made a YouTube video about it, to help his credibility. Because YouTube videos are so credible a source, they could even be used in a court of law.

Or something.

جوري
08-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Maybe they'll pass a law banning folks from naming their sons Mohammed citing ... er well, I am sure they'll think of something.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
08-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Ah is this actually important? o_o

Uthman
08-13-2009, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Ah is this actually important? o_o
No, just interesting. :)

Amadeus85
08-13-2009, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
or other variations of the name of Islam's founding prophet, has become the most popular name choice for baby boys in the four biggest cities of the Netherlands.
And they still believe that secularism and liberal state works, yupi kay ey liberals.

Al-Zaara
08-13-2009, 10:06 PM
As if that matters. If it that name were popular amongst non-Muslim Dutch, then it's something.

جوري
08-13-2009, 10:17 PM
The alternative that you desire for Europe (christendom) has proven detrimental in the past... so not many choices left!

all the best

Uthman
08-15-2009, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
As if that matters. If it that name were popular amongst non-Muslim Dutch, then it's something.
But the Muslims are taking over Europe, remember? ;D

Clover
08-15-2009, 03:17 PM
lol, I'd never name my kids Mohamed, I just don't like the idea of the name for them. I am going to name my kids after older ancestors, but I doubt I'll have much of a say, seeing as how I stink at arguing with the females, over anything.

Al-Zaara
08-15-2009, 04:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
But the Muslims are taking over Europe, remember? ;D
But maybe not the names.
Besides there are European Muslims from the Slavic and Balkan countries and our common names are not "Muslim = Arabic" like it's often defined.

KAding
08-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Just goes to show how incredibly uncreative Muslim parents are ;).

Tony
08-16-2009, 12:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Just goes to show how incredibly uncreative Muslim parents are ;).
1400 post and you come up with this !! Havent learnt much have you, apart from how to offend muslim parents obviously

KAding
08-16-2009, 08:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tony
1400 post and you come up with this !! Havent learnt much have you, apart from how to offend muslim parents obviously
Sorry, it was an attempt at humour. Note the smiley.

Tony
08-16-2009, 10:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Sorry, it was an attempt at humour. Note the smiley.
Funny

Blackpool
08-16-2009, 07:13 PM
That's mainly due to the variety of names chosen by non-muslims and muslims. A heck of alot of muslims seem to opt for "muhammad" or "Mohammed" whereas non-muslims, certainly in this country, are competing each other for rare, unique names. I have a sister called "Bridin" and a little brother called "Malachi." Both are English, not Irish. Heck, Beckham named his sons Brooklyn and Romeo!

جوري
08-16-2009, 07:24 PM
^^ what is the point of your post? I mean given the thread title one assumes that Mohammad is the most popular name because it is often chosen in lieu of less popular names...

Muezzin
08-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Let's not fight, please. :)

EDIT: Just to clarify, this is a general notice not directed at anyone in particular. I'm just sensing some hostility in this thread.

جوري
08-16-2009, 07:31 PM
I ain't fighting, I am flabbergasted as the obvious is being re-stated ..

:w:

جوري
08-16-2009, 07:33 PM
I plan to name all my boys Mohammed insha'Allah .. from the I to the XII

Blackpool
08-16-2009, 08:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
^^ what is the point of your post? I mean given the thread title one assumes that Mohammad is the most popular name because it is often chosen in lieu of less popular names...
Simple. It's an explanation of why the name Mohammad is the 4th most popular name... :hmm: Some use this as so-called "evidence" to support what they say...

What was the point of the "English words with no vowels" thread?

جوري
08-16-2009, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
Simple. It's an explanation of why the name Mohammad is the 4th most popular name... :hmm: Some use this as so-called "evidence" to support what they say...

What was the point of the "English words with no vowels" thread?
You haven't offered an explanation, you have stated something obvious..

my thread was in 'puzzle and humor', meant to have folks exercise their minds over the use of words and learn new words in the process by way of fun; in a section meant for said purpose if you must know, but why bring that too here?
What does a thread dedicated to words have to do with your elemental explanation to something rather obvious?

all the best

Blackpool
08-16-2009, 08:23 PM
You haven't offered an explanation, you have stated something obvious..

my thread was in 'puzzle and humor', meant to have folks exercise their minds over the use of words and learn new words in the process by way of fun; in a section meant for said purpose if you must know, but why bring that too here?
What does a thread dedicated to words have to do with your elemental explanation to something rather obvious?

all the best
The reason why my explanation was so obvious was because the answer to your question was... um... obvious. :hmm:

جوري
08-16-2009, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
The reason why my explanation was so obvious was because the answer to your question was... um... obvious. :hmm:
there was no query it was mere rhetoric! I commented on you being so observant and stating the obvious..

all the best

Tony
08-16-2009, 10:25 PM
I plan to name all my boys Mohammed insha'Allah .. from the I to the XII
Whoa sister, xii, you could seriously redress the balance of which country has the most boys named Mohammad single handedly. :D

aadil77
08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Whoa sister, xii, you could seriously redress the balance of which country has the most boys named Mohammad single handedly. :D
lol I don't know roman numerals but that must be more than ten

they won't (hopefully) all have identical names you can have names like Muhammad Isa and Muhammad Imran and then be known as Imran or Isa

thats what I'm gonna do anyway

جوري
08-17-2009, 07:15 PM
lol.. will have them all one shot or in two.. ;D
I always wanted my own army...
Anyhow, I'd be happy with one righteous Mohamed ...
thought the roman numerals makeup for our 'lack of creativity' :hmm:

جوري
08-17-2009, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
lol I don't know roman numerals but that must be more than ten

they won't (hopefully) all have identical names you can have names like Muhammad Isa and Muhammad Imran and then be known as Imran or Isa

thats what I'm gonna do anyway
you are so funny.. I come from a family with predominance of boys, in fact me and my sis and one other cousin are the only females.. everyone else has three or four boys (masha'Allah) all of them have Mohammed for a middle name or first or a derivative..

so Omar Mohammed, Imad Mohammed, etc
I don't want to write all their names out but you get the pic..
the rest are named for derivatives of Mohammed, Ahmad, Moustapha etc..

I genuinely love the name Mohamed the most .. it just comforting..I like more than Ahmed, mahmoud or moustapha..
I think it is the best name there is, what is not to love about it?

Tony
08-17-2009, 09:22 PM
lol.. will have them all one shot or in two.. ;D
I always wanted my own army...
Anyhow, I'd be happy with one righteous Mohamed ...
thought the roman numerals makeup for our 'lack of creativity' :hmm:

May Allah bless you with 12 righteous Mohammad's and may half become Hafiz and the other half live solely to please Allah by doting on thier righteous mother, Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.