/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslims warned potentially fatal holy water on sale in Tooting

GuestFellow
08-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Muslims are being warned about potentially lethal fake holy water believed to be on sale in Tooting.

Demand for holy Zam Zam water increases as Muslims prepare to celebrate the month of Ramadan, which begins on or around August 22.

But today Wandsworth Council issued a public health alert today after tests revealed a consignment of the fake water contained twice the levels of permitted arsenic and three times the level of nitrates.

Consuming the water could be potentially lethal for children and pregnant women, a council spokesman said.

He said: “Arsenic is a deadly toxin and can be ingested into the body through contact with skin.

"In high doses it can lead to multi-organ failure, brain damage and death. Lower doses can cause cancer.

"Nitrate poisoning is especially harmful to babies and pregnant women, and interferes with the way that blood carries oxygen around the body. It can also lead to brain damage and death.”

Real Zam Zam water comes from the Well of Zam Zam in Mecca, the holiest place in Islamic religion.

The Saudi Arabian Government prohibited the commercial export of Zam Zam Water from the kingdom and under Saudi law the water cannot be lawfully sold overseas.

But there is a thriving trade in fake Zam Zam water globally.

Genuine Zam Zam water is brought into UK by pilgrims returning from Mecca.

If any member of the public becomes aware of the water being offered for sale in the borough they should contact the council's food safety team on 020 8871 6166.
Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
08-14-2009, 11:41 AM
This seems to happen every year unfortunately. :(

MuhammadRizan
08-18-2009, 09:48 AM
is holy water really that dangerous?

aadil77
08-18-2009, 09:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuhammadRizan
is holy water really that dangerous?
no it probably some dodgy stuff people tryin to make money out of

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
08-18-2009, 01:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
no it probably some dodgy stuff people tryin to make money out of
That's the point I think; it's bogus.

Not knowing anything about such things, couldn't/shouldn't the Saudi Government have some sort of check in place to identify the real Zam Zam water, such as an official marking? Sure people could still copy it, but that might make it rather harder top do, and the fake water easier to spot? Although I suppose if its export is banned anyway, it might be safer just to assume any sold elsewhere is fake.

aadil77
08-18-2009, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
That's the point I think; it's bogus.

Not knowing anything about such things, couldn't/shouldn't the Saudi Government have some sort of check in place to identify the real Zam Zam water, such as an official marking? Sure people could still copy it, but that might make it rather harder top do, and the fake water easier to spot? Although I suppose if its export is banned anyway, it might be safer just to assume any sold elsewhere is fake.
best way is to get your own, you can get the real stuff direct from there for free

nobody should be paying for any it doesn't have value , its like paying more than a pound for a bottle of water from some special spring

abu_musab461
08-18-2009, 04:01 PM
definatly i only get mine from people who bought it back them selves.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.