/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can you find some English words with no vowels?

جوري
08-14-2009, 07:03 PM
here is one I learned today

cwm: noun: A steep bowl-shaped mountain basin, carved by glaciers. Also known as cirque.

who knew.. thought I'd share, interested in more though..

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
czgibson
08-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Greetings,

I'd argue the case for words like 'sky', 'fry' and 'fly', but some people think that's cheating.

Peace

Muezzin
08-14-2009, 07:37 PM
'Rythm' isn't cheating. :)

جوري
08-14-2009, 07:41 PM
lol good job.. how about the other form lurkers?
and isn't 'Y' technically a vowel?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GreyKode
08-14-2009, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I GOT IT

tattara .... "Pls" as in : Pls open the door for me

:P

جوري
08-14-2009, 08:01 PM
rofl that doesn't count...

all my life I racked my brain for one english word that doesn't contain vowels. (in the U.S technically' a Y can be used as a vowel.. if you can think of such a useless occupation of the brain.. so today voila I learn 'cwm' and I am elated.. I think I can now go to my grave for I have seen everything, but first I must share the good news as one often likes to do when they have found an answer...

czgibson
08-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
'Rythm' isn't cheating. :)
Or even 'rhythm'.

Rhythm Has Your Two Hips Moving.

I'm so sorry, I couldn't help myself. :hiding:

Great example, though. :thumbs_up

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer Skye
all my life I racked my brain for one english word that doesn't contain vowels. (in the U.S technically' a Y can be used as a vowel.. if you can think of such a useless occupation of the brain.. so today voila I learn 'cwm' and I am elated.. I think I can now go to my grave for I have seen everything, but first I must share the good news as one often likes to do when they have found an answer...
See here for more on this if you're interested.

in the U.S technically' a Y can be used as a vowel..
There is no real consensus, as far as I know.

if you can think of such a useless occupation of the brain..
I'm sure the world's linguistics community will thank you for your vote of confidence.

Peace

Muezzin
08-14-2009, 08:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Or even 'rhythm'.

I keep having these 'bloody idiot' moments. It's a wonder my face isn't currently smeared across several lamp posts.

rofl that doesn't count...

That's because US English is wrong. :p

rk9414
08-14-2009, 08:26 PM
hmm, mmm, shh, tsk tsk, pwn

Grofica
08-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes there is a consensus... Y is a vowel.... in school its A E I O U and sometimes Y. its not can be used as a vowel... its just it is sometimes. and for the record. EVERY english word has a vowel it is impossible to say the word if it has no vowel... Or thats according to my teachers...

and cwm is said like KUM... so i am guessing (because its a weird brittish word) the W is acting like the vowel.... you can hear it on webster... http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cwm :shade:

Muezzin
08-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Etymology of 'cwm' is Welsh. Thought so.

Also, does 'YHWH' count? Or is that simply an acronym?

جوري
08-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Greetings,

Or even 'rhythm'.

Great example, though. :thumbs_up

See here for more on this if you're interested.

I'm sure the world's linguistics community will thank you for your vote of confidence.

Peace
good old wiki.. why didn't I think of that..

thanks. .. how scarce they are.. I do love words...and odd numbers but that is a topic for another day and another thread...

جوري
08-14-2009, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Etymology of 'cwm' is Welsh. Thought so.

Also, does 'YHWH' count? Or is that simply an acronym?

that is the the Sacred Tetragrammaton, you are not allowed to say God's name apparently in one version of the OT of course in others Elohim is used... I learned that from Br. Yusuf yesterday..

czgibson
08-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Grofica
Yes there is a consensus... Y is a vowel.... in school its A E I O U and sometimes Y. its not can be used as a vowel... its just it is sometimes. and for the record. EVERY english word has a vowel it is impossible to say the word if it has no vowel... Or thats according to my teachers...
The difficulty is that a vowel is a sound, not a letter. There is no doubt that 'y' can be used as a vowel, people just differ on whether it should be included in the list of vowels because it is used as a consonant at other times.

It's not a huge worry, though, really. :)

Peace

Tony
08-14-2009, 10:35 PM
TRYST Feast ur eyes on that

جوري
08-14-2009, 10:38 PM
lol.. I can tell that just came to you probably after visiting the thread about the husband who got kissed by two random chics with kissing fever...

Grofica
08-14-2009, 10:40 PM
dude y is so a vowel....

Tony
08-14-2009, 10:43 PM
lol.. I can tell that just came to you probably after visiting the thread about the husband who got kissed by two random chics with kissing fever...
lol, oh no I am becoming transparrent on an anonymous forum !!:D

Tony
08-14-2009, 10:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grofica
dude y is so a vowel....
y wrong y know

جوري
08-15-2009, 12:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tony
lol, oh no I am becoming transparrent on an anonymous forum !!:D

no, it is me, I am that good :D

Banu_Hashim
08-15-2009, 12:16 AM
I think it's a special type vowel. Honorary vowel if you like. And, as i've just found out, vowels are sounds rather than letters of the alphabet.

Santoku
08-15-2009, 02:47 PM
here is one I learned today

cwm: noun: A steep bowl-shaped mountain basin, carved by glaciers. Also known as cirque.

who knew.. thought I'd share, interested in more though..

Why.........sorry - couldn't resist it.

S.Belle
01-03-2011, 03:20 AM
Tv, dvd, vcr, cd....

Rafeeq
01-03-2011, 07:33 AM
RT, MT, PT, VT

(Although these are abbreviations)

Muhaba
01-03-2011, 07:50 AM
shhhhhh that's a word without a vowel

IAmZamzam
01-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Official English words always have vowel sounds but I do know of one word which does not have the letters A, E, I, O, U, or Y: "crwth". (It rhymes with "booth".) It means "crowd", and given that they both start with "cr" and are five letters long I suspect it may be a variant of the word carried over from Middle English.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.