/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Q's regarding Ghusl

AnonymousPoster
08-15-2009, 10:00 PM
salaam.
im so confused about the process of ghusl, i just been reading some material and now i feel so dirty and unclean and think all my prayers arent accepted because i wasnt even clean :cry::cry::cry::cry:
1) i have the intention obviously to perform it but i dont actally say it, does that invalidate it?
2) after washng my handds, i usuaully start off by washing my hair (am a girl) and then clean my whole body incl private area and perform wudhu within that,,, am i following the right order???
3) i usually keep tha shower running so like i use exfoliating gloves to clean my whole body so like i dont stick to the rigght/left rule,rather i work my upper body to down.. am i getting sinned for doing that??
4) when washing the feet, i do it within my shower/bath so i wash them and then step onto something clean or into my flipflops after i done my shower.
i know i sound really stupid and ignorant but im really confused and im scared im getting sinned...
does that mean my oher prayers are invalid if i havent followed the correct procedure?? :cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
08-15-2009, 11:24 PM
:sl:

I have found you this on Islamonline, and on the bottom are more links to the same issue..
:w:

Name of Questioner
Salim - United States

Title
Is Ghusl a Specific Way of Taking a Shower?

Question
I hear people talking about ghusl (ritual bath) and I don’t know what it is. I usually take my normal shower (everyday). Is ghusl a specific way of taking a shower? Is there a specific way to take a shower in Islam?

Date
09/Nov/2004

Name of Mufti
Ahmad Kutty

Topic
Ritual bath

Answer

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we are greatly pleased to receive your question which shows the confidence you place in us. May Allah reward you abundantly for your interest in knowing the teachings of Islam!

In the first place, we would like to stress that Islam is the religion of cleanliness. Islam requires a person to pay considerable attention to his personal hygiene and cleanliness. The Qur’an says: (Truly Allah loves those who turn unto Him, and loves those who have a care for cleanness.) (Al-Baqarah: 222) The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said, “Cleanliness is half of faith.”

Responding to the question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

Ghusl is not just any type of shower; rather, properly speaking, it is ritual bathing for the purpose of worship. It is essential to perform ghusl under the following conditions:

1. Following sexual intercourse;

2. Emission of seminal fluid regardless of whether it occurred while being awake or asleep;

3. In the case of women, following menstruation; after menstruation stops, they must perform ghusl before resuming Prayer;

4. In the case of women, again, after the expiry of post-natal bleeding; they must perform ghusl before resuming Prayer.

5. When there is a reasonable ground to believe that he/she is in contact with some form of impurity on his/her body and not sure of the precise location so as to clean it; in which case a full ghusl is necessary;

6. When a non-Muslim embraces Islam.

In each or all of the above circumstances, one must perform a complete bath before resuming Prayer or reading Qur’an or performing Tawaf (performing circumambulation around the Ka`bah).

In order for ghuslto be complete, the following conditions must be fulfilled:

1. Intention of performing the same for the purpose of worship;

2. Making sure that the whole body is bathed at least once.

The complete and full form of ghusl involves the following steps:

1.Washing the genitals thoroughly first;

2. Performing wudu` except washing of the feet, which can be done later;

3. Pouring water over the head;

4. Bathing the whole body starting from the right side;

5. Washing the entire body three times.
You can also read:

How to Perform Ghusl (Ritual Bath)

Things that Necessitate Ghusl

Is Washing the Hair in Ghusl Obligatory?

Ejaculation: Does It Always Entail Ghusl?

Do I Have to Perform Ghusl after Orgasm?

Ghusl after Intercourse: Why?

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to write back!

May Allah guide you to the straight path, and guide you to that which pleases Him, Amen.

Salahudeen
08-15-2009, 11:30 PM
You don't have to say the intention out loud, as long as you have it in your heart. but if you don't have the intention in your heart then the ghusl isn't valid. For example if you came inside, from a jogg and decided to have a shower for the purpose of cooling down then after you realise and say to yourself I've done my ghusl. that isn't correct. You have to have the intention in your heart before you start.

And there's two ways of doing ghusl, there's a sunnah way and a non sunnah way.

The non sunnah way is you just wet everypart of your body and ensure that water reaches your scalp. If water doesn't reach everypart of your body then your ghusl isn't valid.

As long as water touches every part of your body your ok, so for example if you were to jump into a swimming pool and then get out, your ghusl would be valid as long as water touched everypart of your body.

The sunnah way of doing ghusl is to wash your hands first, and then wash your private parts, then pour water over the right side of your body 3 times, then the left side 3 times, then over your head 3 times. After making sure water touched all your body then perform Wudhu. This is the sunnah way of performing ghusl but if you perform it the other way it's still valid.

noorseeker
08-16-2009, 12:40 AM
i thought you do wudhu first, and then over the head and shoulders

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-16-2009, 01:49 AM
I think she's asking if her previous prayers will be accepted from her because she didn't know of ghusl and never did it properly...so all that time she's been praying without proper ghusl. Something I'd like to know too actually.

جوري
08-16-2009, 05:41 AM
^^ :sl: sis

I can't answer the Q of whether or not her prayers are invalidated.. I can't guarantee my own will be accepted.. I do know that deeds are accepted based on the intention..

I just wanted to address this:
salaam.
im so confused about the process of ghusl,
I figured if I posted it then there will be no confusion insha'Allah..

أبو سليمان عمر
08-16-2009, 06:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
salaam.
im so confused about the process of ghusl, i just been reading some material and now i feel so dirty and unclean and think all my prayers arent accepted because i wasnt even clean :cry::cry::cry::cry:
1) i have the intention obviously to perform it but i dont actally say it, does that invalidate it?
No it doesnt the intention is by heart and should not be utter this is bidah to utter it
2) after washng my handds, i usuaully start off by washing my hair (am a girl) and then clean my whole body incl private area and perform wudhu within that,,, am i following the right order???
as for the ghusl so long as the water touch ever single part of ur body then it is Good as for the wudu should be done after u have completed ghusl the ur intentions should be to do wudu by heart and not to utter it
3) i usually keep tha shower running so like i use exfoliating gloves to clean my whole body so like i dont stick to the rigght/left rule,rather i work my upper body to down.. am i getting sinned for doing that??
again as for ghusl read this inshallah
The Partial Ghusl: which is when one washes his head and his entire body.

The Complete Ghusl: which is what has been reported in the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah (radyAllaahu ‘anhaa) in Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim, in which she said: “When Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) would perform ghusl due to Janaabah (sexual impurity), he would begin by washing his hands. Then he would pour water from his right hand to his left and wash his private parts with it (i.e. the left hand). Then he would perform wudoo (ablution). Then he would take water and place his (wet) fingers on the roots off his hair. Then he would pour three handfuls of water over his head. Then he would pour water all over the rest of his body. Then he would wash his feet.” This wording is from Muslim. The hadeeth is in Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim from the narration of Maymoonah, (radyAllaahu ‘anhaa).

So this means that: the Complete Ghusl is preceded by wudoo (ablution), however the washing of the feet is delayed till after the rest of the body is washed.

As for the Partial Ghusl, then there is no ablution that precedes it. Both these types of ghusl are valid.

A woman is not obligated to undo her hair (if it is bundled or braided) when performing ghusl, due to the hadeeth of Umm Salamah (radyAllaahu ‘anhaa) in Saheeh Muslim in which she said: “O Messenger of Allaah, I am a woman with much braids in my head. Should I undo them when performing ghusl, due to sexual impurity (Janaabah) and menses?” He (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) responded: “No. It is sufficient for you to just pour three handfuls of water on your head.” http://abdurrahman.org/tahara/rulingghusl.html
and this link here is ahadith about ghusl http://abdurrahman.org/sunnah/sahihBukhari/005.sbt.html so inshallah it helps
4) when washing the feet, i do it within my shower/bath so i wash them and then step onto something clean or into my flipflops after i done my shower.
i know i sound really stupid and ignorant but im really confused and im scared im getting sinned...
does that mean my oher prayers are invalid if i havent followed the correct procedure?? :cry:
couldnt tell u but if u know it was wrong way and did it then yes salah is invalid if u didnt know and u thought that this is the way it is vaild but now u know inshallah how to
and for step by step tips on wudu
http://islamfundamentals.files.wordp...huablution.pdf
4 pages

ahmed_indian
08-16-2009, 06:57 AM
basics:

1. intention in heart
2. washing mouth and nose
3. complete body.

the rest is sunnah and inshallah u will not be punished for not doing those acts.

so relax...and praise ur Lord!

:)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-16-2009, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
^^ :sl: sis

I can't answer the Q of whether or not her prayers are invalidated.. I can't guarantee my own will be accepted.. I do know that deeds are accepted based on the intention..

I just wanted to address this:

I figured if I posted it then there will be no confusion insha'Allah..

Woops :X I guess that's what happens when you read too fast ;D

My bad lol :-[

جوري
08-17-2009, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
Woops :X I guess that's what happens when you read too fast ;D

My bad lol :-[

you read her correctly, I just banked on the first statement..

Jazaki Allah khyran

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.