/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as starvation mode???

Salahudeen
08-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Aslaam alaykum, I've heard and read numerous times that if you don't eat enough calories during the day, then your body goes into something called "starvation mode".

In starvation mode your body apparently hangs onto everything you eat and stores it as fat for energy, because it's under the impression that there's a famine going on and it needs to hold on to every morsal of food for energy. This is a natural survival feature of your body.

so going by this, if you eat more calories, then your body would come out of starvation mode and stop storing everything you eat as fat right???

I have abit of weight around my stomach, I think my body must be in starvation mode 24/7 because I never meet my daily maintenance amount for calories. I only eat around 1,000 calories a day and most it's carbs like flower. Am a heavy roti eater.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
1000 calories a day seems very little for a grown man, squiggle.
Depending on your size and activity level at least twice as much would be considered normal.

You can find free sites on the internet, which will work out your expected calorific daily intake - the only details you need to give are gender, height, weight and how active you are.

Perhaps you should try to eat more, but have a more balanced diet .. do you eat fruit and vegetables?

Cabdullahi
08-16-2009, 01:42 PM
lift weights......eat steaks

pump your chest...eat chicken breast

hehehe

on a serious note train and lift weights....you'll be suprised how much you'll lose weight

Snowflake
08-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Yes, there is but it doesn't last long. Basically when there is a shortage of food the body tries to hold on to every calorie possible. It does this by slowing down the metabolic rate. But how long can it last? The body will need to burn energy to survive and so, it starvation continues, it turns to its own fat stores. If the body could maintain the starvation mode for long periods/permanently we wouldn't have anorexics and emaciated people.

Change the way you sit and do sit-ups, standing up. Lol, that doesn't make sense. Do stomach crunches standing up.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
noorseeker
08-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Brother ive only found out all this info my self, im trying to get a flat toned stomach

As silly as it sounds to lose weight you have to eat more.So you are right about starvation mode.

1000 calories is too low man, You should have around 1500-2000.

If you wanna lose weight you cut your caloreis and and vice versa.

Good diet and exercise will get rid of the flab bro

Try having smaller portions around 5 times a day instead of 3 big meals.

Theresa lot of dodgy advice on the net, so if any one got any good links ,then please do share

Think bro convert goes gym, you can ask him

Emperor000
08-16-2009, 01:48 PM
A Word of advice...
Dont lift weights too much ....like lift as much you think your body can handle
Dont be like those jerks who think they can lift 400 pounds... XD
try running or jogging (Its just a word of advice...)

Snowflake
08-16-2009, 01:56 PM
^is it true that if you lifts weights at a young age you won't grow (properly)? lol :embarrass

Cabdullahi
08-16-2009, 02:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
^is it true that if you lifts weights at a young age you won't grow (properly)? lol :embarrass
some people differ to that.....i think it boosts growth if anything....but thats only if its done to a reasonable level...slow and gradual intensity with age

15 -17 years >>> once or twice a week lifting lightweights

18-21 years >>>>> 3 times a week moderate intensity

21 and above >>>>>>>> full throttle

Snowflake
08-16-2009, 08:47 PM
^that makes sense!

abu_musab461
08-16-2009, 08:55 PM
it affects your hight more than anyhting else

Salahudeen
08-16-2009, 11:28 PM
wow 1000 calories feels like loads to me, I feel stuffed and sick of food. it's even a hassle to eat that much I just don't feel like eating. I only eat when I get stomach pains and they've stopped coming so I eat less.

eating is like a big chore for me that I only do to stay alive, I don't actually enjoy it. And I get fed up of food so easily, I find it impossible to eat the same food for more than 2 days in a row.

have to have something different everyday and that's impossible so instead of having the same food I just go hungary :(

syilla
08-17-2009, 01:31 AM
Salams...

Yes, it will make your metabolism went down...and this make it hard for your body to burn the calories in your body.

Do not skip meals...that will regulate your metabolism better.

Try eating more for breakfast...InshaAllah you can maintain your calories intake.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.