/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are any of you being fooled by the UK Government?

Blackpool
08-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Have any of you noticed that the Labour Party has been extra, extra nice to muslims in the UK in the past few weeks? With an election coming up in May and the loss of muslim votes it should be of no surprise to anyone.

British swimming pools are imposing Muslim dress codes in a move described as divisive by Labour MPs.

Under the rules, swimmers – including non-Muslims – are barred from entering the pool in normal swimming attire.

Instead they are told that they must comply with the "modest" code of dress required by Islamic custom, with women covered from the neck to the ankles and men, who swim separately, covered from the navel to the knees.

The phenomenon runs counter to developments in France, where last week a woman was evicted from a public pool for wearing a burkini – the headscarf, tunic and trouser outfit which allows Muslim women to preserve their modesty in the water.

The 35-year-old, named only as Carole, is threatening legal action after she was told by pool officials in Emerainville, east of Paris, that she could not wear the outfit on hygiene grounds.

But across the UK municipal pools are holding swimming sessions specifically aimed at Muslims, in some case imposing strict dress codes.

Croydon council in south London runs separate one-and-a half-hour swimming sessions for Muslim men and women every Saturday and Sunday at Thornton Heath Leisure Centre.

Swimmers were told last week on the centre's website that "during special Muslim sessions male costumes must cover the body from the navel to the knee and females must be covered from the neck to the ankles and wrists".

There are similar rules at S****horpe Leisure Centre, in North Lincolnshire, where "users must follow the required dress code for this session (T-shirts and shorts/leggings that cover below the knee)".

In Glasgow, a men-only swimming session is organised by a local mosque group at North Woodside Leisure Centre, at which swimmers must be covered from navel to knee.

At a women-only class organised by a Muslim teacher at Blackbird Leys Swimming Pool, Oxford, to encourage Muslim women to learn to swim, most participants wear "modest" outfits although normal costumes are permitted.

The dress codes have provoked an angry reaction among critics who say they encourage division and resentment between Muslims and non-Muslims, putting strain on social cohesion.

Ian Cawsey, the Labour MP for the North Lincolnshire constituency of Brigg and Goole, said: "Of course swimming pools have basic codes of dress but it should not go beyond that.

"I don't think that in a local authority pool I should have to wear a particular type of clothes for the benefit of someone else. That's not integration or cohesion."

Labour MP Anne Cryer, whose Keighley, West Yorkshire constituency has a large number of Muslims, said: "Unfortunately this kind of thing has a negative impact on community relations.

"It's seen as yet another demand for special treatment. I can't see why special clothing is needed for what is a single-sex session."

Muslim swimming sessions are also held at a number of state schools around the country. At Loxford School in Ilford, east London, a local Muslim group organises weekly sessions for Muslim men, with the warning that "it is compulsory for the body to be covered between the navel and the knees.

"Anyone not adhering to the dress code or rules within the pool will not be allowed to swim".

The practice of holding special Muslim swimming sessions has led to non-Muslims being turned away.

David Toube, 39 and his five year old son Harry were last year refused entry to Clissold Leisure Centre, in Hackney, east London, after being told the Sunday morning swimming session was for Muslim men only.

Council officials later said staff had made a mistake and both Mr Toube, a corporate lawyer, and his son should have been admitted.

After discovering the rules at Thornton Heath one Croydon resident, 34-year-old Alex Craig, said: "I think it is preposterous that a council should be encouraging this type of segregation over municipal facilities.

"Surely if Muslims want to swim then they should just turn up with their modest swimwear at the same time as everyone else."

Douglas Murray, director of the Centre for Social Cohesion, last night condemned the practice. He said: "This kind of thing is extremely divisive.

"Non-Muslims see these extremist demands as an example of Muslims wanting things to fit into their lifestyle, when there aren't similar things organised for Hindus, Buddhists or Jews.

"It also puts moderate Muslims in an awkward position as it suggests, wrongly, that they are not devout enough, simply because they choose not to cover themselves in a shroud in a pool."

A press officer at Croydon council, which introduced Muslim-only swimming in 2006, claimed that the wording on the website was a mistake and the dress code should be regarded as a suggestion rather than a requirement.

The website was late changed to remove the reference to the dress code.

However, an official at the leisure centre said the dress code remained compulsory.

Earlier, defending the segregation policy, a Croydon council spokesman said: "We appreciate that certain religious groups, such as Muslims, have strict rules on segregation for activities including sports, so in response to requests from the local community, we have been running these sessions at Thornton Heath Leisure Centre."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-burkinis.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cat eyes
08-19-2009, 09:40 PM
clever britain its not suprizing they have always been clever when they want something thats why they have been bringing over slaves to there country for centuries to do the work for them to put britain on high posts now they know there own people won't vote so now they know there is large majority of muslims in united kingdom and i could go on forever how clever they are.... but anyways muslims should enjoy it while it lasts

GuestFellow
08-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Greetings,

...Well I doubt the Labour government would put majority of their efforts pleasing Muslims. Muslims I think are a minority in this country. The Labour government would try to please everyone to gain more votes and just targeting Muslims would not have a significant impact on winning votes.

However I would not be surprised if the Labour party used this tactic to gain more votes. It does sound like a marketing ploy. I'm not sure which party to support. The Conservative leader David Cameron is slightly annoys me however if he can get the job done then I'm happy. I don't know much about the Liberal Democrats. It is as though they have vanished lol.

Blackpool
08-19-2009, 09:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Greetings,

...Well I doubt the Labour government would put majority of their efforts pleasing Muslims. Muslims I think are a minority in this country. The Labour government would try to please everyone to gain more votes and just targeting Muslims would not have a significant impact on winning votes.

However I would not be surprised if the Labour party used this tactic to gain more votes. It does sound like a marketing ploy. I'm not sure which party to support. The Conservative leader David Cameron is slightly annoys me however if he can get the job done then I'm happy. I don't know much about the Liberal Democrats. It is as though they have vanished lol.
The muslim vote would probably close down the 14-16% lead that the Tories have upon them which would make the elections alot more close. It's just a blatant tactic. I cannot stand the snidey gits.

The Lib Dems are a bit similar to the Labour government. For me it's either Conservatives or UKip.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
08-19-2009, 09:55 PM
^ Well I'm certain my family is not going to be voting for Labour party. It is odd that they have become especially kind to muslims all of a sudden. I think the conservative party will win hopefully.

cat eyes
08-19-2009, 09:59 PM
muslims will vote in there thousands if they are getting treated, i mean i would anyway

GuestFellow
08-19-2009, 10:02 PM
^ The question is how long? Will it benefit the entire country?

Blackpool
08-19-2009, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
muslims will vote in there thousands if they are getting treated, i mean i would anyway
But it's only temporary treatment. Once elected then they have another 4 years of power to do what they like. In the final 8 months of their reign then they have to do a bit of pleasing to remain in power.

Blackpool
08-19-2009, 10:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
^ The question is how long? Will it benefit the entire country?
I don't think it will. It will annoy alot of people and create more anger, wrongfully towards muslims. As one says in the article, it will be looked at as a special treatment. Sikhs, Hindus, Christians, Buddhists and Jews do not get it.

It's like giving your daughter everything she wants and giving your son nothing at all. It creates anger and you begin to feel you're not looked at as "good enough." This breeds demonstrations in the likes of Birmingham and contributes to the rise of right wing parties..

It's a dangerous tactic.

Trumble
08-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Erm.. Croydon Council is Conservative controlled. Still, why let that get in the way of a good anti-Labour rant? ...:heated:

GuestFellow
08-19-2009, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
I don't think it will. It will annoy alot of people and create more anger, wrongfully towards muslims. As one says in the article, it will be looked at as a special treatment. Sikhs, Hindus, Christians, Buddhists and Jews do not get it.

It's like giving your daughter everything she wants and giving your son nothing at all. It creates anger and you begin to feel you're not looked at as "good enough." This breeds demonstrations in the likes of Birmingham.

It's a dangerous tactic.
^ Yes it wil get dangerous eventually in the foreseeable future.

Muslims are fine. We have mosques, we can practice our religion and we even have a day off for Eid from school and colleges. So we should be grateful.

czgibson
08-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Greetings,

I think the article is mildly inflammatory. Pesky Telegraph. Look at the first three paras:

British swimming pools are imposing Muslim dress codes in a move described as divisive by Labour MPs.

Under the rules, swimmers – including non-Muslims – are barred from entering the pool in normal swimming attire.

Instead they are told that they must comply with the "modest" code of dress required by Islamic custom, with women covered from the neck to the ankles and men, who swim separately, covered from the navel to the knees.
It's not made clear for quite a while that this only refers to specific "Muslim Swimming Sessions"; if it were, the article would be much less likely to grab your attention.

Still, I suppose there is a valid question to be asked about Muslims being given "special treatment". No other religious group gets its own swimming sessions, but, then, no other religious group has such specific and unalterable rules about every aspect of life.

I have to say to the thread starter that the rather general title "Are any of you being fooled by the UK Government?" didn't lead me to expect an article concerned pretty much exclusively with swimming pool dress code policy.

Life is full of surprises.

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.