/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Confusing myself about Islamic history, can someone clear things up

bamboozled
08-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Hi, I seemed to have confused myself a little and the more I try to research it the more I get confused, its hopefully two basic questions, some where along the lines I must have got one of MY 'facts' wrong.

So,

We Muslims believe that Islam existed since the day of Adam PBUH and that Muhammad PBUH revealed the Quran to us which were the rules for the Muslims, from Allah. If Adam was a Muslim why is Khatidja PBUH often described as one of the first people to except Islam. I dont get it.

Also,

When we read that the Quran was revealed in the holy month of Ramadan, i thought the Quran was revealed over a period of years, or a longer period of time than a month. I remember reading that Muhammed PBUH was once a little concerned as it had been weeks or months since Allah SWT had revealed a revelation to him. Then at that moment Allah SWT sent a verse basically saying; servants would forget Allah, but Allah would never forget them (something like that). Which would mean it would take a little longer than a month? Because of the gap of time since Muhammad PBUH received the next revelation.

Sorry if these are really stupid questions.

Jazak Allah Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- IqRa -
08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
:salamext:

I'm not sure about your first question, it might be that they were the first Muslims of the Ummah of the Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam.

Regarding your second question, the Qur'aan was revealed over a period of 23 years. I think the first Surah "Iqra bismi rabbi kalladhi khalaq", (Surah Alaq, 96) that was the first revelation, was in Ramadan.

See this for more information inshaAllaah;
Why Was the Qur'an Revealed Over A Period of 23 Years?

bamboozled
08-20-2009, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A
:salamext:

I'm not sure about your first question, it might be that they were the first Muslims of the Ummah of the Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi Wa Sallam.
That does makes sense. Can someone please confirm this.

Regarding your second question, the Qur'aan was revealed over a period of 23 years. I think the first Surah "Iqra bismi rabbi kalladhi khalaq", (Surah Alaq, 96) that was the first revelation, was in Ramadan.

See this for more information inshaAllaah;
Why Was the Qur'an Revealed Over A Period of 23 Years?
That also makes sense. Its just on TV and radio etc, especially now. You hear people say its the month the Quran was revealed which is why it is so special. But really, to be more accurate they should maybe say it is the month the Quran started to be revealed and took 23years to be finished.

Thats honestly got to me for years. Anyone want to add anything?

- IqRa -
08-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Please confirm with a more knowledgeable person InshaAllaah...I just said what made sense to me.

Allaah and His Messenger Know best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
bamboozled
08-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Please confirm with a more knowledgeable person InshaAllaah...I just said what made sense to me.

Allaah and His Messenger Know best.
Mashallah, im speechless.

Inshallah someone with more knowledge will be able to add.

Mashallah.

ardianto
08-20-2009, 02:47 PM
the Qur'aan was revealed over a period of 23 years.
Scholars in my place say, in exactly this period was 22 years, 2 months, 22 days.

- IqRa -
08-20-2009, 02:54 PM
MashaAllaah. They know more.

Allaahu Aalim.

Thinker
08-20-2009, 02:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bamboozled
Hi, I seemed to have confused myself a little
I’m amazed that someone calling themselves Muslim doesn’t know the answer to these questions. I have often wondered how representative the Muslims on this forum are and I have sometimes suspected that the average Muslim know no more about Islam than has been spoon fed him/her by whoever it is that is their teacher.

Forgive me if my post sounds disrespectful, I sincerely do not wish to offend you, I am just expressing surprise :smile:

Peace

MSalman
08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
That does makes sense. Can someone please confirm this.
yeh, that is correct. Islam is defined in two ways:
1) General Islam - by this we mean that Islam started with Prophet Adam (peace be upon him) because all the Prophets (peace be upon them) preached the same core message but their shariah differed.

2) Specific Islam - by this we mean the shariah of Prophet Muhammad (sal-allahu alayhi wa sallam). So by this definition Islam started 1400 years ago
That also makes sense. Its just on TV and radio etc, especially now. You hear people say its the month the Quran was revealed which is why it is so special. But really, to be more accurate they should maybe say it is the month the Quran started to be revealed and took 23years to be finished.
what you are saying is correct. However, there are different scholarly opinions in regard what does it mean by the Qur'an was revealed during the month of ramadhan. I tried to find the reference for you but could not. I will post it later if i found it, insha'Allah. It was Islamqa btw.

Allahu A'lam

Rasema
08-20-2009, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
I’m amazed that someone calling themselves Muslim doesn’t know the answer to these questions. I have often wondered how representative the Muslims on this forum are and I have sometimes suspected that the average Muslim know no more about Islam than has been spoon fed him/her by whoever it is that is their teacher.

Forgive me if my post sounds disrespectful, I sincerely do not wish to offend you, I am just expressing surprise :smile:

Peace
Muslims have to be 100% sure when responding to a question.

I know the answers to her questions but I wont respond because I don't have resources neither are we students.

zakirs
08-20-2009, 03:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker

Peace
indeed we are not the perfect muslims but we are the ones trying to be one of them :). No body is perfect right ?

Rasema
08-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Assalmu Aliakum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh

Islam doesn't have an age. Islam is not a new religion but Allah,spw, refomes it.
We give it an age so we trace back hadeeths,Qur'an... to the time it was revealed.
Once Allah reformed a religion he named it Islam in the Qur'an.

Yes, the verses of the Qur'an started in Ramadhan and completed in Ramadhan. That could mean that it started in the month of Ramadhan before 23 years and was completed at the end of Prophet's prophecy in the 23rd yead,in Ramadhan.

bamboozled
08-20-2009, 03:42 PM
I found this which helped me:

"The word 'qadr' means 'decree.' It also means 'majesty or high esteem.' Thus, Laylat ul-Qadr, or the Night of Qadr, means the Night of Decree, or the Night of Majesty.

Laylat ul-Qadr is a very blessed night. It is the best night of Ramadan, rather, the whole year. Rewards for acts of worship during it are multiplied so as to equal one thousand months. It is the night that Allah chose to send the Qurâan down to the lowest heaven, from where it was revealed in small portions to Muhammad (sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam) (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him).

It is the night on which Allah decrees His wise ordainments, appointing matters of life, death, sustenance, disasters, etc etc. and the angels descend with these decrees.
Allah says, which means:

"Lo! We revealed it on the Night of Power. Ah, what will convey unto thee what the Night of Power is! The Night of Power is better than a thousand months. The angels and the Spirit descent therein, by the permission of their Lord, with all decrees. (The Night is) Peace until the rising of the dawn." (97th Surah of the Glorious Qur'aan - 'Al-Qadr')

It should be noted here that sending down the Qurâan on Laylat ul-Qadr does not mean that it was revealed all at once to Muhammad. According to the scholars, it was sent down on that night from al-Lawh ul-Mahfooz (the Preserved Tablet) to the lowest heaven. It was then revealed in small segments, as necessary, over a period of 23 years of the Messenger's (pbuh) life. However, since such details are not revealed in the Qur'aan, therefore only Allah knows best.

The same applies to Allah's decrees. They are not formulated on this specific night every year. Rather, Allah, with His encompassing knowledge, knew all what will happen, and has recorded it all in al-Lawh ul-Mahfooz. On Laylat ul-Qadr, Allah issues His decrees pertaining to the following year (life, death, sustenance, etc), after having been in al-Lawh ul-Mahfooz, to the angels. And Allah knows best.

According to Hadeeth, Laylat ul-Qadr falls on an odd night of the last 10 nights of Ramadan; it is more likely to be on the last seven, and most likely on the middle one of those, which is the night of the 27th. The scholars differ as to whether it always comes on a fixed night, namely the 27th, or moves from year to year between these nights. People are of the opinion that the safest approach is to follow the hadith instructing one to seek it at least on the odd nights of the last 10. At the same time, special care should be given to the night of the 27th, because it is the night on which the Prophet (pbuh) gathered all of his family, and passed it in prayer and worship.

Laylat ul-Qadr is the most blessed night. A person who misses it has indeed missed a great amount of good. It is recommended to make a long Qiyaam (night) prayers during the nights on which Laylat ul-Qadr could fall.

It is also recommended to make extensive supplication on this night. Aisha (RA) is reported to have said that she asked Allah's Messenger, "O Messenger of Allah! If I knew which night is Laylat ul-Qadr, what should I say during it? He (pbuh) instructed her to say: "Allaahumma innaka ‘afuwwun tuhibb ul-’afwa f’afu ‘annee – meaning, 'O Allah! You are forgiving, and you love forgiveness. So forgive me.'

It is further recommended to spend more time in worship during the nights on which Laylat ul-Qadr is likely to be. This calls for abandoning many worldly pleasures in order to secure the time and thoughts solely for worshipping Allah.

In the Glorious Qur'aan the day or date of Layla-tul-Qadr has not been mentioned, instead Allah only states that the Qur'aan was revealed (meaning began being revealed) in the month of Ramadan. Reports that Layla-tul-Qadr comes during an odd night among the last 10 nights of Ramadan (i.e. 21, 23, 25. 27 or 29) have been derived from various Ahadeeth but only Allah knows if such reports are correct. It is possible that the reason Allah did not reveal the exact date of Layla-tul-Qadr was to avoid people from limiting their worship to just that one night. But this is just an opinion. Again, the actual reason is only known to Allah. Thus, in my humble view, the entire month of Ramadan must be spent in deep devotion to the Almighty Allah.

Also please note that there are various stories among people about the Night of Qadr about unusual incidents happening on this night. All this is nonsense and must not be accepted as Allah has given us no warrant to believe in such stories."

Source - http://www.gawaher.com/lofiversion/i...hp/t34718.html

Thanks for all your help.
Jazak Allah Kair

cat eyes
08-20-2009, 03:48 PM
best if you ask a scholar about these type of things thats what i always do when i am confused about a certain thing. if you just ask any person i always find they will all give you different ansers and it will confuse you more. that is the problem with muslims today they ask any muslim, he might have a beard mashallah and dress like a muslim so they don't look at how educated he might be and they will simply believe on him whatever he says without any prove...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.