/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How many of you use linux?

zakirs
08-22-2009, 07:59 AM
To start with +1 :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Blackpool
08-22-2009, 08:30 AM
I use windows as for the others there aren't as many software/hardware that are compatible with anything but windows. Windows has more to offer than the others apart from the security.

Peterwf
08-22-2009, 08:52 AM
I use Ubuntu (Linux based) on an old PC, faster than windows on that age.
And it is for free.

Hafswa
08-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I am currently using Mac. I have used linux previously and believe that it's the most stable and secure OS to use despite the attitude it has received from users.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zakirs
08-22-2009, 09:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
I use windows as for the others there aren't as many software/hardware that are compatible with anything but windows. Windows has more to offer than the others apart from the security.
yes . noting beats windows in the amount of games you can play.I hence keep dual boot only to play games :D

Danah
08-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I use windows now on my laptop

and I have Mac on the ipod touch<<<will that count?

but I have never use Linux, I am planning to install the Linux Fedora on my machine, have anyone used that?

zakirs
08-22-2009, 11:33 AM
but I have never use Linux, I am planning to install the Linux Fedora on my machine, have anyone used that?
yeah fedora and ubuntu are both very popular and nice distros you can use them :D .. i personally use xubuntu.

Danah
08-22-2009, 05:05 PM
^Do you have windows and linux both in one machine?
Do you face some propblems like any possibility of interference between the two Operating Systems?

zakirs
08-22-2009, 07:37 PM
No not at all .. they dont boot one at a time. when i restart my machine i just have an option of either startingg into linux or windows :)

GreyKode
08-22-2009, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
No not at all .. they dont boot one at a time. when i restart my machine i just have an option of either startingg into linux or windows :)
Linux is boooooooooring :P .
Unless youre a techie, nobody is really interested in rebuilding or hacking the kernel.
The only reason I wanted to use it was because I needed to learn how the internals of an OS work, other than that it adds nothing more than windows.
I wonder though zakirs, what do you think of the shell, how do you get around with all the commands?, do you have to memorize them or what?

zakirs
08-22-2009, 09:02 PM
well shell is not compulsory bro but learning how to use it makes life soooo easy.You need not click that and then this and then click again that.but in shell you only need to give one snappy command:).

Though i accept Linux is not so easy to use compared to windows.but it is like that only because people have become used to windopws not other reason.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-22-2009, 09:49 PM
I have windows, never used anything else. I'll just stick to what I have thanks...I can do whatever I need with windows :p

Danah
08-22-2009, 10:09 PM
well I know about not booting at the same time when we start the whole system, but what I meant was is there any interference while one of them is running like any exceptions or something like that?

format_quote Originally Posted by GreyKode
Linux is boooooooooring :P .
Unless youre a techie, nobody is really interested in rebuilding or hacking the kernel.
The only reason I wanted to use it was because I needed to learn how the internals of an OS work, other than that it adds nothing more than windows.
well, that's why I need the Linux, I fed up graphics and all those fancy things in Windows
I wonder though zakirs, what do you think of the shell, how do you get around with all the commands?, do you have to memorize them or what?
I have seen Fedora but never use it technically, but its GUI like windows
I guess the original Linux is the one that work with commands, right?

GreyKode
08-23-2009, 12:02 AM
well, that's why I need the Linux, I fed up graphics and all those fancy things in Windows
Linux has got as much graphics as windows, but maybe not as sparkling as windows or Mac.

I have seen Fedora but never use it technically, but its GUI like windows
I guess the original Linux is the one that work with commands, right?[/QUOTE]

Not really, you know like the dos box (command prompt) in windows its there along with the GUI, but in Linux you can do things more efficiently plus the black art stuff using the commands, like killing processes, doing strange things to the hard drive, messing around with the processor fan and other deep down hardware stuff, not the case with windows where the system is in control of everything, think of it like being able to override the system.
But of course the downside to this is that an inexperienced user might get himself into too much he can't handle, windows sometimes protects you from yourself.

Abdul Fattah
08-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Selam aleykum
Been using ubuntu ever since 6.06 dapper drake. So since we're at 9.04 I guess that's roughly three years now? I'v thought of trying out other distro's but ubuntu just has such a low newbie-treshhold, that I think I'm better of staying where I'm at warm and cosy rather then exploring the diffrent distro's out there.

Linux has got as much graphics as windows, but maybe not as sparkling as windows or Mac.
I beg to differ, copy paste this url after you tube /watch?v=ZxfSwzhSn1c&feature=fvst

GreyKode
08-23-2009, 12:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
Selam aleykum
Been using ubuntu ever since 6.06 dapper drake. So since we're at 9.04 I guess that's roughly three years now? I'v thought of trying out other distro's but ubuntu just has such a low newbie-treshhold, that I think I'm better of staying where I'm at warm and cosy rather then exploring the diffrent distro's out there.

I beg to differ: compiz
Assalamu alaikum respected brother Abdul Fattah, Ramadan Kareem.

Nice to hear from you again.

Danah
08-23-2009, 12:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by GreyKode
Not really, you know like the dos box (command prompt) in windows its there along with the GUI, but in Linux you can do things more efficiently plus the black art stuff using the commands, like killing processes, doing strange things to the hard drive, messing around with the processor fan and other deep down hardware stuff, not the case with windows where the system is in control of everything, think of it like being able to override the system.
But of course the downside to this is that an inexperienced user might get himself into too much he can't handle, windows sometimes protects you from yourself.
so getting more control over your system but less protection form yourself

is there anything like virtual machine where you can play around without harming your machine?

and if something goes wrong with the machine like the hard disk or the kernal while playing with it, will that affect the other operating system if I am using dual boot?

Najm
08-23-2009, 12:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
I have windows, never used anything else. I'll just stick to what I have thanks...I can do whatever I need with windows :p
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Agreed! Windows does the job!

FiAmaaniAllah

Alphadude
08-23-2009, 12:51 AM
i use widows but i wanted to use ubunto but the problem is that i cant play my games and cant use my appz on there windows has more stuff then that

GreyKode
08-23-2009, 01:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah

Well... you can put it that way, but that doesn't mean youre always at risk while using Linux, you'll be safe as much as you are while with windows, unless you start digging.

is there anything like virtual machine where you can play around without harming your machine?

There's something called Cygwin, check it out if interested.

and if something goes wrong with the machine like the hard disk or the kernal while playing with it, will that affect the other operating system if I am using dual boot?
Not sure about the booting, but if the contents of your hard drive are affected by Linux, then that might affect the other OS.

zakirs
08-23-2009, 05:27 AM

yes sis you can try linux without affecting your computer .Live Cd is the way.You just need to download an .iso file from here (http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download)
and then burn it using nero or some other software to make a bootable cd.In nero you have an option called "burn image to disk ".

after doing that restart your computer with disk in the drive.now your computer will run only on that cd without touching your hard disk.This si for onlyt checking out purposes since you cant save any files .but if you have an usb you can use it instead of cd too.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
08-23-2009, 09:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Najm
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

Agreed! Windows does the job!

FiAmaaniAllah

Yes it does lol.

format_quote Originally Posted by khalid84
i use widows but i wanted to use ubunto but the problem is that i cant play my games and cant use my appz on there windows has more stuff then that
Yeaa, especially if you're a gamer :statisfie

Abdu-l-Majeed
08-23-2009, 11:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalid84
For many applications available for Windows you have an application available for Linux, which is free...

yes sis you can try linux without affecting your computer .Live Cd is the way.You just need to download an .iso file from here (http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download)
and then burn it using nero or some other software to make a bootable cd.In nero you have an option called "burn image to disk ".

after doing that restart your computer with disk in the drive.now your computer will run only on that cd without touching your hard disk.This si for onlyt checking out purposes since you cant save any files .but if you have an usb you can use it instead of cd too.
Another option would be installing it inside Windows, it works very well for me.

zakirs
08-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Another option would be installing it inside Windows, it works very well for me.
Yeah , it is an option after u insert the cd

Abdu-l-Majeed
08-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah , it is an option after u insert the cd
Well, yes you need to insert the CD, but only once. Once you install Ubuntu inside Windows, you don't need the CD anymore.

Alphadude
08-29-2009, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdu-l-Majeed
For many applications available for Windows you have an application available for Linux, which is free...

yes but there isnt many applications available for linus but windows has more stuff:D

akhtara7
08-31-2009, 02:34 PM
I have a macbook pro so am using Mac Leopard (recently upgraded to Leopard Snow).

Also use Kubuntu as a virtual image (don't have the hassle swapping between the OS's can use Kununtu and Mac at same time ;D)

Hassan C
08-31-2009, 02:46 PM
WINDOWS XP FOR LIFE!!

Hehe XD

Salihah
08-31-2009, 04:17 PM
I use Mac OSX and Windows Xp together (bootcamp).
After buying a mac I would never buy anything else again.. I dont have experience with linux, a friend is using suse and he is confident with it...

zakirs
08-31-2009, 05:52 PM
i love macs too .. if only i had the money :S

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.